Forum: Arts / Religion

angels or luck?
By Sumayah
On Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:10 PM
Locked by Sumayah (204191) on 2010-05-13 19:58:41 Old post!

What do you believe? Do you believe in pure dumb luck or do you believe that you have a Guardian Angel looking out for you? Typically I tend to chalk things up to blind luck of the draw, but there are occasions when I do truly believe I have a Guardian Angel watching out for me.

Today, I'm driving home from work and the traffic is pretty well spread out. There's a SUV about four car lengths ahead of me in the right lane and I'm in the left next to the turn lane. Suddenly the SUV throws its brakes on and swerves to avoid hitting the car in front of them. They end up doing two full 360's back and laterally across the highway ending up with their back-end in the turn lane and their front end in my lane. I naturally slam on my brakes as the SUV is spinning and I screech to a halt right in front of the SUV. I went from 55 to 0 in a very short distance - the rubber left behind is ridiculously short. The lady in the SUV looks at me and I look at her and we both laugh in the oh my God I can't believe I'm alive way. She takes her foot off the brakes and her bumper kisses mine. With both our brakes on we weren't touching but we were close enough to be bumper to bumper. I'm fine, my car is fine, she and her car (as far as I know) are fine. I was shaking afterwards because I seriously thought my front end was going to be scattered over the highway and I'd be suffering from whiplash if not worse.

I honestly can't just attribute it to good brakes and good conditions. I should have hit her car. My car should be totaled right now. I should not have been able to stop from highway speed a hairs breadth away from her car.If this were a one time thing sure, dumb luck but this isn't the first time I've walked away from a near wreck that would have had me in the hospital.

Two years ago I was exiting the highway and decreasing my speed from 65 down the off ramp. A car from a dead standstill pulls out across three lanes of access road directly in front of me. I brake and swerve to the left and manage to miss hitting her car. I go over the embankment and settle in the grass between the highway and the access road. I burst into tears, calm myself, get and look at my car. It's fine. Not a dent, not a scratch, not even a bit of dirt whisked away from the bumper. I manage to get back onto the access road and into a parking lot. No damage to my car, no damage to my tires, even my alignment is fine. I still don't know how I didn't hit her.

Finally when I was 6, my sister was 16 and was driving with my mom supervising on a nice well lit, divided highway. A big ten point buck runs out across the west bound traffic right in front of our car. Had my sister hit the deer more than likely she and my mom would have been dead because the deer would have gone thru the windshield and impaled them. Needless to say she swerves to the right to miss the deer only to discover we're now traveling straight for a wall of trees so she swerves left. It puts us into a spin that eventually gains enough momentum to flip us upside where we continue spinning down the highway until we land in the center divide and knock over a baby oak tree. The car is totaled. The hospital thought we'd be DOA from the description of the wreck. We walked in and my mom had a cut on her nose from the windshield. That's it. Well, and I discovered a deep seeded hatred for all Bambi and his kin and the distinct notion that deer are in fact Satan in masquerade.

Dumb luck? I don't think so. In those cases I can't explain how I ended up fine except that God is looking out for me and I have a Guardian Angel who steps in when needed. I've been in other fender benders were I've walked away bruised and my car worse for wear, but nothing where had I hit the car, I'd most likely be in the hospital. I can only thank God for watching out for me in situations where just the financial aspect of what could have been is astronomical. I have no health insurance and my hubby can't afford for me not to work. If these had turned into major accidents there's no way even with insurance (and neither would have been my fault) we could have paid for hospital bills, pain pills, time off from work, etc. So thank you to God for sending me a Guardian Angel, I feel I'm extremely undeserving (though extremely appreciative) of it.

What do you believe? Do you believe in Luck or do you believe that from time to time an Angel is watching over you?

5 Replies to angels or luck?

re: angels or luck?
By harajuku_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:35 PM
i believe that angels are with us all the time.. not just from time to time. i think the concept of luck sounds so simple and empty.. too empty for me to believe in it.

and your stories are amazing. often, i think that car accidents and the like are meant to wake us up.. to show us that there is so much in life to be grateful for, and that life can change so very quickly.
By imadanseurPremium member
On Tue Jun 30, 2009 07:31 PM
I recently started going to this intuitive development center and I have to say I am more in line with their spirituality than any organized religion. They believe in God or Source or whatever you want to call it and believe everyone has their own spirit guide or angel or energy or whatever. I think that angel helps make up our personality and being in tune with it helps our daily lives and if you listen you get clear messages (gut instinct, a funny feeling...) and when you are out of alignment that is where the chaos begins. Depending on how far out you get the more chaos is produced and this seems very evident in my life.

I was raised Christian and I still believe most traditional Christian teachings, but I have to say I borrow a little from Buddhism, and subscribe to the Law Of Attraction as well.

I was in a roll over car accident that should have killed me and it was amazing that my car was almost cut open by a mile marker. It stopped one inch from my gas tank which would have ignited the car at the speed I crashed. I don't believe it was pure dumb luck that I walked away from that accident. I don't think I realized it then like I do now.
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Tue Jun 30, 2009 07:42 PM
Based on my non-belief in God, I don't think that there are angels. I do believe that the body can sometime act in ways of self-preservation that is more biological than conscious.

I think that spiritual enlightenment, or any form of 'higher power' is really just the inability to explain the different facets of the human mind/body as well as the universe. I don't think that there is another being or spirit that is concerned with our personal lives...day to day or otherwise. I think that we are the ones that care, and we have the power -- even on a subconscious level -- to do something about it.

I wouldn't exactly call it dumb luck either. In the middle, somewhere, is where I am.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jul 02, 2009 02:50 PM
Guardian Angels in the sense that every single person on earth has someone watching out for them is absurd. I do not question the existence of angels, I just think it is too much to think you have one that is designated to watch over you.

I'm a fan of instincts.
By dancinqt5013member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jul 02, 2009 05:30 PM
I don't believe in either. I believe in God, but I don't believe in any angels, and I just don't believe in luck. I kind of believe in fate instead and that everything has a purpose. If you have a near death experience, I don't think it means that someone watching over you stopped you from dying or that you're just lucky. I believe that you weren't supposed to die and you can learn from the experience, like how to avoid it again, or just realize how important your life is. I don't believe that anything, like a guardian angel, interferes with your life and I don't believe that things just randomly happen.

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed