Forum: Irish / Irish

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Irish
The Ultimate "How to Re-Curl a Wig" Post! (karma: 5)
By TheStoryTellermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2238, member since Mon May 19, 2008
On Thu Jun 18, 2009 04:43 PM
Edited by feisgirl92 (196424) on 2009-06-18 16:51:10 HUGE pictures!!
Edited by feisgirl92 (196424) on 2009-06-18 16:56:11
Edited by feisgirl92 (196424) on 2009-06-18 17:01:34
Edited by feisgirl92 (196424) on 2009-06-18 17:02:29
Edited by feisgirl92 (196424) on 2009-06-18 17:03:44
Edited by feisgirl92 (196424) on 2009-06-18 17:07:38
Made sticky by oz_helen (35388) on 2009-06-20 04:35:25 Hooray!

Let me start off by recommending that you don't do this with a perfectly good wig, at least the first time around.

I did this with my old bun wig, but I only repaired the curls that were frizzed out or losing their shape.

Step 1
Gather your supplies.
You'll need:
A wig (preferably not your brand new Katie K. Go over there and pick up that old Ryan bun cover!)
A fine toothed comb
A hair brush
A pair of scissors
A towel
Shampoo
Wig conditioner spray
Curlers
A very patient feis mom or DD :)

Image hotlink - 'http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad151/medicatingperfection/001.jpg'

Step 2
Put some warm water and shampoo in the sink, about enough to completely cover the curls and just touch the cap if the wig is placed curls down into the water.
Soak the wig in the water for a few minutes, drain the sink and rinse the wig with clean warm water.
Pat the wig dry with a towel and get ready for step 3.

Step 3
Grab a curl and spray it heavily with your wig conditioner. Don't be afraid to soak the curls, the worst that can happen is you run out of wig conditioner!

As you can see here:
Image hotlink - 'http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad151/medicatingperfection/006.jpg'
You can really spray it, don't be afraid to have droplets of the conditioner on the curl itself.

Step 4
Take your hairbrush and run it through the curl gently!. You don't want to frizz out any of these curls. Take out any knots and tangles by cutting them away.

If you see any of these:
Image hotlink - 'http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad151/medicatingperfection/008.jpg'
Just snip them off, there's no untangling them, and they'll just make a mess out of your curls.

Step 5
Take your curler and gently roll up the hair that you just sprayed and brushed.
You don't have to be too careful here, and the curlers don't even have to go in the same direction, just try not to crush the curl or make a huge mess of it.

Step 6
Now I only repaired the curls that were near the base of my wig, because the others were in relatively good shape.
Just repeat Step 3-5 until you finish with all the curls.

NOTE: Do not underestimate how many curlers it will take you! There are literally tons of curls on these things, get as many curlers as possible.

This is what my wig looked like from underneath when I was finished putting all the curlers I needed in:
Image hotlink - 'http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad151/medicatingperfection/009.jpg'

This is from the top:
Image hotlink - 'http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad151/medicatingperfection/010.jpg'

As you can see, I really only needed to re-do some of them, and not all.

Step 7
Leave these curlers sitting in the wig overnight, a full 24 hours is best, but if you absolutely need to take them out after 12 hours, do so.

Gently unroll the curlers, spraying each curl with yet more wig conditioner as you take it out of the curler. Again, wig conditioner is your friend!

This is the part of my wig that I re-curled after the curlers were removed:
Image hotlink - 'http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad151/medicatingperfection/002-1.jpg'

These are the curls that were not re-curled, only washed:
Image hotlink - 'http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad151/medicatingperfection/003-1.jpg'

As you can see, the curls on my wig came out much less uniform when they had been re-curled. Some were tighter, some were looser, but I find that it provided a much more natural look.

It took me about an hour to wash the wig, spray it, comb out the curls and put them in curlers, and about the same amount of time to take them out of the curlers.

I will say that this is very labor intensive, but it was a good experience, and I might do it again later!

Enjoy, and good luck in all your wig re-curling adventures!

43 Replies to The Ultimate "How to Re-Curl a Wig" Post!

re: The Ultimate "How to Re-Curl a Wig" Post!
By Cinnawiz Comments: 3136, member since Tue Jan 03, 2006
On Thu Jun 18, 2009 05:44 PM
Oh my! What a great job! I'm sure this will help many girls that need to stretch their budget.

Thanks!
By newdancingmom Comments: 176, member since Sun Apr 23, 2006
On Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:09 PM
Thanks for the post and the photos. I think I will try this on my dd's wig. The edge curls are looking ratty, especially where the tiara and hair pins go in.

Definately sticky material!
By TheStoryTellermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2238, member since Mon May 19, 2008
On Fri Jun 19, 2009 01:28 PM
Glad you ladies liked it!
By tracy16member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1356, member since Thu Sep 20, 2007
On Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:38 PM
thanks for putting this together! I have a few old wigs laying around so maybe one day I'll try it!
It should be fun to do because i get to dig out my old spike curlers (I'm still trying to convince my mom to curl my hair in spike curlers for one last time!! crazy right?!)

-tracy16
By newdancingmom Comments: 176, member since Sun Apr 23, 2006
On Sat Jun 20, 2009 09:57 AM
I did this to my dd's wigs last night, I'll take the curlers out tonight and see the result! I can't wait because they already look better.

I thought I'd add advice I got on cleaning a wig so it's on the same page.

from feisgirl92:
The best way to clean it is just put it curls down into a sink with warm water and shampoo in it. I wouldn't recommend trying to comb out tangles if you don't want to re-curl it, as it could make the curls frizzy.

I've re-curled part of my bun wig because it was tangled and frizzy, and I should be making a post about it within the next few days.

from Hop_123:
www.irishstepdancingwigs.com . . .

I used a combination of the instructions at the link above, and the instructions on the WIG shampoo I got, to wash my dtr's wig. It went fine.

Thanks everyone for the good advice.
By dancegal2002 Comments: 924, member since Tue Feb 11, 2003
On Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:05 PM
haha. Good advice :)
By rosalinde Comments: 1973, member since Fri Jun 19, 2009
On Sat Jun 27, 2009 03:46 AM
Oh, I love this post! I have a bun wig and a full wig lying around somewhere that I thought were beyond repair, but this might be a good project for the summer!
By Reelnut Comments: 310, member since Mon May 11, 2009
On Mon Jun 29, 2009 05:38 AM
Don't think I would dare to try this on a whole wig. I have re-curled a few curls on a wig successfully though. I did it on dry hair. I combed out the curl and wrapped it around a perm rod, then sprayed with wig hairspray and left to dry. Once dry I put the wig away in its net with the perm rod still in for about a week before carefully removing the perm rod. It worked well.
By freckle Comments: 12, member since Mon Jul 06, 2009
On Mon Jul 06, 2009 09:55 AM
Thanks for this useful post. May be tempted to try out on an old wig first before risking on a newer one. Usually just resort to snipping off frizzy ends but this sounds much better.
By irishgirl26member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 429, member since Sun Sep 07, 2008
On Mon Jul 06, 2009 06:15 PM
You have just saved me from those little uncurled ringlets on the old wig that was given to me. It looks a LOT better now!
By Alidar Comments: 76, member since Sat Aug 01, 2009
On Thu Aug 06, 2009 01:03 PM
I'm off to the bathroom this minute 2 wigs in hand... Wish me luck.. Will let you know how I get on
By Celticdreams Comments: 967, member since Tue Jul 03, 2007
On Thu Aug 06, 2009 06:43 PM
What kind of curlers did you use? I have tried two different kinds with no success. I have the wig spray and I did something similar to what Reelnut did.
On Thu Aug 06, 2009 07:23 PM
I used spike curlers.
Can't conquer the powers of good old spike curlers!

Hope it all works out for you.
By caroline2812 Comments: 25, member since Thu Aug 27, 2009
On Mon Aug 31, 2009 04:44 PM
thanks this will help alot and save me from buying a new wig!!
By reelirishgirl1 Comments: 29, member since Thu Jul 23, 2009
On Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:09 PM
Wow thank you! I'll definetly have to try that with my old wig.
By mom22 Comments: 34, member since Thu Oct 29, 2009
On Thu Nov 05, 2009 06:44 AM
Wow...looks neat. Would love to see photos of how you wrapped the hair around the curler. We always just snip the frizzies off until its time to buy a new wig. We usually only get about 6 months out of a wig that way.
By kingpinrimember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 21, member since Fri Dec 25, 2009
On Tue Jan 05, 2010 07:52 AM
Awesome job! I might even give it a try.... especially around the area of the headband where it gets so very frizzy!!
By bcgo Comments: 31, member since Sat Feb 13, 2010
On Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:42 AM
Thanks very much for the informative post. I may just give this a try!
By TxTreble Comments: 25, member since Sun Mar 14, 2010
On Wed Mar 24, 2010 09:36 PM
Thank you so much! Wigs are so costly, this will help salvage some of ours!
By Irishdancers Comments: 21, member since Sat Mar 27, 2010
On Sat Mar 27, 2010 08:41 PM
Edited by Irishdancers (221485) on 2010-03-27 20:43:08
I will use my barbie head curler. It may work, it works on barbie and her horse, why not on the wig, or maybe I will borrow barbies wig.
By becca1825 Comments: 34, member since Wed Jan 28, 2009
On Fri May 07, 2010 12:04 PM
What would you suggest for recurling a big wig? Just washing a part of it? I wouldn't really want to wash the entire wig.
By ibutterfly Comments: 177, member since Mon Jun 29, 2009
On Fri May 07, 2010 01:44 PM
i did try on a really old wig, first I sniped off the frizz very carefully ( i get cut happy so I stopped after the really bad frizz was gone) then I did not wash the wig, but sprayed it withhair condtioner only the spots that were reallyunclurled ok, then Iused perm rods fobecause my cat got at the spike curlersDD hadn't put them awy long story, the perm rods I used were small for the front and medium for the rest like I said only parts of the wig that needed it and then I used here goes another crazy idea suave hairspray, put a hair net on it put wig on and old lamp shade up high and forgot about it for a week. Didn't tell dancing daughter, took out the rods and she said wow where did you get this new wig from? Too bad it won't fit my head. So maybe its time I try on one of the 4 other old wigs various colors that we have in a bag, have to get more perm rods though along with patinece. Its nice that everyone is so kind sharing dieas on this board that is what makes this board the best. Good luck to all those competing now and in the future.
By Irish_Butterfly Comments: 33, member since Wed Apr 28, 2010
On Tue May 11, 2010 10:17 PM
Which wig conditioner do you use? Is one better than another? Thanks for the directions and photos. I'm going to give it a try this weekend!
By Tokenfire Comments: 34, member since Thu Oct 09, 2008
On Mon Jun 21, 2010 03:57 PM
Thanks for the information. I will try this over the summer.
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch