Forum: Highland / Highland - Adult Dancers

Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3
re: Adult dancers-- "am I too old" and other FAQs
By GhillieMcInnes Comments: 67, member since Sun Oct 04, 2009
On Mon Sep 27, 2010 09:09 PM
I love this. I am 48 and starting taking lessons for the first time ever this past summer. Both my son and daughter are dancers. I started doing it just for fun, and to learn the dances, but now I'm getting this crazy idea that maybe I could compete, too. Am I nuts???
By Jenn_K Comments: 231, member since Wed Mar 18, 2009
On Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:58 PM
Not at all! You're never too old to start competing!

I live on Vancouver Island (British Columbia, Canada) and we have a group of older adult beginners out on the competition circuit. One of our dancers started competing when she was 50, I believe.

You only have to be prepared, mentally, to compete with young kids. The youngest group I have been in is Beginner 11 and over and I was dancing beside my daughter who was still in beginner at the time. The kids regularly "wipe the floor" with me, but hey! gravity affects me more than them! ;) (I'll be 44 very soon, and started competing 2 years ago.)

Some adult dancers have also over-heard some rather derogatory comments from the parents, on occasion - especially if the adult dancer places higher than the child. I have only encountered this situation once. I informed the parent that: I paid for my lessons; I paid my ScotDance fee; I paid to enter the competition; and I have just as much right to be up on the dance platform as anyone else. Generally speaking, however, most parents are in awe. They tell us that we're brave to be up there, tell us how much they enjoy watching us dance, and wish us good luck.

I wish you the best of luck if you decide to enter competitions. I know I really enjoy it.
By kinsidhe Comments: 248, member since Fri May 14, 2010
On Thu Sep 30, 2010 02:55 PM
I say: Go for it! If you love doing what you are doing, then it is worth doing-Full stop. I'll be right there cheering you on! Besides the 'road' to getting there could be tremendous fun and who couldn't use a little more of that!

K.
By summerspring Comments: 54, member since Wed Nov 28, 2007
On Thu Sep 30, 2010 03:12 PM
I have a class of 5 new adult beginners this year in Calgary including two male dancers (all over 30 with the oldest being 48). They are loving it, but are surprised at how challenging it can be!

I encourage anyone who wants to try it to go for it no matter your age!
On Fri Oct 01, 2010 08:50 AM
Thanks for the encouragement! Glad to know I'm not alone. If only I knew how to deal with the shin splints and charley horses I'd be all set. Sad to hear about parent comments. I've run across a few of the "evil dance moms" and I feel sorry that they have to be that way. Their loss.
On Fri Oct 01, 2010 08:52 AM
It gives me a lot more respect for my children who do this! I can't remember being so bouncy and flexible.
re: Adult dancers-- "am I too old" and other FAQs (karma: 1)
By Cchighland55Premium member Comments: 1, member since Sun Jan 02, 2011
On Tue Jan 04, 2011 02:33 PM
I am 55 years old and started Highland Dancing when I was 51. I wanted to start when I was six but I was too busy with figure skating, piano and Brownies. You are NEVER to old to start something that has always been a lifelong dream! Go for it and enjoy! I have a very supportive teacher and dance with the kids 10 to 12 years old. Cheers CC
By DancingKat18 Comments: 20, member since Sat Oct 23, 2010
On Mon Jan 17, 2011 08:29 AM
I think you are all fantastic for going for it and learning or going back to dancing,I have been considering for years learning to skate maybe one of these days i will go for it! :)
On Sun Jan 23, 2011 06:36 PM
You are awesome! I've been batting the idea of competing back and forth, with the too old thing looming over my head. I started last year, and am now 48. There is another adult dancer in my class who just did her first competition and placed!!! You are all so inspiring. Maybe I'm just being too chicken!
By LoriCook Comments: 1762, member since Mon Aug 17, 2009
On Mon Jan 24, 2011 03:16 AM
My class started out a year ago with just me with a bunch of 8 year olds. Now it is me and 4 other adult women, and a teen boy all as beginners. I am thrilled not to be the oldest one anymore at 40!
If you are an adult feeling awkward in a children's class just think of the other people you are inspiring. They may not say anything but they are thinking "gee, I could do that too!"
By HighlandMommyx3Premium member Comments: 97, member since Sun Jan 16, 2011
On Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:35 AM
This is a wonderful thread! I always wanted to dance as a child but was never allowed to. My own daughter is now dancing and I'm sure my youngest two will join her. This might give me the encouragement to have a go myself! Jenn_K where on the island are you?
By jmdmam Comments: 33, member since Tue Jun 27, 2006
On Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:10 AM
Edited by jmdmam (161877) on 2011-01-24 11:19:38
Good for you to get started! I'm 40 now and started 4 years ago when my daughter was also starting and 5 years old! She's now a novice and improving at a rate that I can only dream of. I only do one competition a year in Ottawa, because they have been able to organize an adult beginners category. This past weekend, had I competed in Toronto, I would have been on stage beside girls 9 and over (most of which were closer to 9, than "Over"!). I love competing and perhaps the more of us "older" beginners there are, the more competition organizers will be interested in having a category for us! Keep it up!
By katiekate Comments: 4, member since Sun Apr 03, 2011
On Sun Apr 03, 2011 08:00 AM
Great Posts!!
I am 33 and started highland 4 years ago with NO previous dance experience. Like other posters it was something I always wanted to do but never had the opportunity. I dance in a class with 13-15 year olds and they are all super supportive. I have not ventured into competitions but have done exams with my class and we perform at lots of local events. I was pregnant last year and danced into my 8th month! Managed to get through our year end recital at 6 months pregnant (finding a kilt to fit was a bit difficult!). I LOVE highland and am so glad to see some adult dancers out there!
By Andromache Comments: 8, member since Sun Apr 17, 2011
On Tue Apr 19, 2011 07:34 PM
Hey everyone!
I felt kind of silly signing up for dance classes a few weeks ago...I was afraid even though I am in an "adult" class that I would compete against kids. Now I know there are 18+ and 21+ competitions here so no worries...
You're never to old! I'm only 25...but many of my cousins, and even my sister, were dancing from very young ages.

Maybe I'll see some of you at a competition this summer (Ontario or possibly NB/NS while on vacation). That is if I can compete a fling!
By bree_dancer Comments: 308, member since Wed Nov 02, 2005
On Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:17 PM
Yay thats great! I will be at some comps this summer too after taking 10 years off. I am in Ontario too. Where do you dance?
By bree_dancer Comments: 308, member since Wed Nov 02, 2005
On Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:18 PM
Yay thats great! I will be at some comps this summer too after taking 10 years off. I am in Ontario as well. Where do you dance?
By Andromache Comments: 8, member since Sun Apr 17, 2011
On Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:17 AM
I *just* started last week but I really like it! I go to a studio in Ottawa..
It would also be nice to go to a highland games in new brunswick or nova scotia...I'm originally from the maritimes :)
By ancientdancer Comments: 8, member since Wed May 05, 2010
On Fri Feb 24, 2012 04:57 AM
Glad to see I'm not the oldest! I'm 54 next week. I danced from the age of 5 to 16 then took it up again 2 years ago. My 15 year old daughter has been dancing for 6 years and every Saturday I take her to class so I thought I might as well give it a go. I'm really loving it and have already done two exams. Unfortunately there aren't any adult competitions here in the UK and there's no way I'd compete against the youngsters. I have done a few displays recently and thoroughly enjoyed them.
Well done to all of your other "oldies"!
By Dormouse Comments: 120, member since Sat Mar 24, 2007
On Fri Feb 24, 2012 08:52 AM
Ancient Dancer - there used to be one in London with a 40+ section, although sometimes it got combined with the 30+ section depending upon nos?

Going back 20 years! x
By BunHeadAlymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 233, member since Mon Apr 30, 2012
On Thu May 03, 2012 03:15 PM
One question I've heard a lot, besides age, is about weight.

I know a few people that use their age as an excuse but when I counter that with examples (like this fabulous thread!) some say they're too fat.

The only example I have is me; I had a baby not too long ago and my shape is still all off but I'm still willing to go up there and attempt moves. :)

Has anyone else heard this excuse and know what to say?
By ScottishMamimember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 288, member since Thu Jan 22, 2009
On Fri May 04, 2012 12:53 AM
@BunHeadAly
Definitely still go there! Dancing is how I started to slim down after having my babies too! It is more difficult to get elevation but at the same time the more weight you're pushing the more muscles you build, and the cardio slims you down at the same time! My only suggestion is stretching really well, especially the calves to avoid shin splints.
By katiekate Comments: 4, member since Sun Apr 03, 2011
On Fri May 04, 2012 05:28 AM
Haven't heard this excuse but like every other cardio activity its a great way to slim down. I danced pregnant until my 8th month. Gained 70lbs ( despite LOTS of exercise and eating right) post pregnancy I used highland as my main cardio and slimmed right down to my prepregnancy weight.
By BunHeadAlymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 233, member since Mon Apr 30, 2012
On Sat May 05, 2012 12:01 AM
I'm actually going to be starting Highland on Monday (eek!) but I danced ballet until my 9th month and most of my cravings were healthy (spinach), and I also gained about 70lbs haha.

Maybe it's just becuse of the location I'm in (SoCal) that I hear the weight excuse a lot.

Anyway, I'm SUPER excited about starting. I've been going to the Games with my kid's dad for years and have always admired the dancers. I have to say, the Fling is my favorite. :)

Would anyone be willing to give me tips or tell me what to expect for the first class?
By punkqueeniemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1345, member since Tue Dec 17, 2002
On Sat May 05, 2012 12:18 AM
BunHeadAly wrote:

Would anyone be willing to give me tips or tell me what to expect for the first class?

To be sore afterward! :D That's the only sure thing.
On Sat May 05, 2012 01:00 AM
HA! I figured soreness was a given :P

I've only seen one class before and it was a bunch of 3-5 year olds, I'm going to assume not to expect the same.

They didn't do a warm-up which bugged me a lot. Should I expect this of every teacher? She did seem kind of jaded...

If so, I'll know to do a warm-up and give myself a barre before going in.
Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch