Forum: Highland / Highland - Adult Dancers

Page:
Page 3 of 31 2 3
re: Adult dancers-- "am I too old" and other FAQs
By LoriCook Comments: 1762, member since Mon Aug 17, 2009
On Sat May 05, 2012 01:56 AM
My helpful hints:
1) Don't expect to be able pick up the moves right away, they look easy but they're not. Your mind will get the moves before your muscles do.
2) I do a lot of practicing in my head to preserve my legs. I believe if I practice too much at my age (42) I could get injured from an overuse injury so I limit my physical practice and when I do practice I focus and do it with intent, not just going through the dance mindlessly.
3)It is very important to stretch so if your teacher isn't leading the class, arrive early and stretch out before going in for at least 15 minutes. Also stretch after.
4)If you start getting leg cramps, increase your fluids, consider drinking something with potassium in it such as gatoraide and increase the amount of time stretching your calves.
5)Get a theraband and use it to strengthen the muscles in the front of your legs to prevent shin splints.
6)Invest in good shoes with shock absorbing padding like hullachans or toe and heel gold.
7) Challenge yourself-sign up for a competition or attend a show. Nothing like a little adrenalin to keep you interested!
8) Don't be embarrased if you're the only adult. Other adults are watching you and are being inspired! I've gotten several other adults started in dancing.
9) Have someone video you so you can see what you need to improve. A lot of times I have thought I was doing it right but the video shows something else!
By BunHeadAlymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 233, member since Mon Apr 30, 2012
On Sat May 05, 2012 03:51 AM
Thank you!

What would you recommend for calve stretching?

#7, eek! But at the same time I can't wait to try!

They're fantastic ideas and tips but #9 is one I never would have thought of! I don't know of anyone that would even be willing to go with me, much less record me.
By katiekate Comments: 4, member since Sun Apr 03, 2011
On Sat May 05, 2012 05:53 AM
Those are awesome suggestions. Totally agree with always warm up and STRETCH, STRETCH, STRETCH. If you bring a camera someone else in the class even the instructor can video you. I also had a hard time picking up the moves on the first try. In the beginning I practiced a lot at home. Video comes in handy here. You could video your instructor doing the steps or pick up an instructional video to help you through ( I liked these www.tartantown.com . . .)
The steps come much easier with time but I found learning the first few dances were challenging.
On Sat May 05, 2012 02:55 PM
I watch a lot of YouTube. It helps me remember and there are many good dancers out there to emulate. Calf stretches-ask your teacher, might get her thinking about "oh, I should have them stretch!"
By BunHeadAlymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 233, member since Mon Apr 30, 2012
On Sat May 05, 2012 03:15 PM
@katiekate: I will deffinately be purchasing that video!

@LoriCook: That lady isn't going to be my teacher, she seemed too jaded. The wee ones were jumping all over the place, off the mat sometimes, and she only tried to correct them half heartedly. It was pretty discouraging.

I'm actually watching videos on YouTube right now. Super psyched!
On Mon May 07, 2012 06:22 PM
First class in less than two hours!

I will deffinately post after to say how it went. I can say now that I'll be wheezing hahaha

*excited*
By katiekate Comments: 4, member since Sun Apr 03, 2011
On Mon May 07, 2012 06:23 PM
Good Luck!!
On Mon May 07, 2012 06:24 PM
Edited by BunHeadAly (249320) on 2012-05-07 18:26:30
Double post, how did that happen? O.o
On Tue May 08, 2012 04:07 AM
I wasn't as bad as I thought I would be!
I was wheezing and sweating but I could tell he was pleased with my turn-out, jumps, arch and my ability to remember most of the steps he threw at me. He didn't have to make too many corrections which I was very pleased with! :D
I thanked him and told him I enjoyed the class and said that I want to work up to competition. He told me he wants me to go to the Costa Mesa Highland Games to watch the novices compete (27th) and that we'll discuss it then. At least it wasn't a flat out 'NO'!
The only snag we hit was in the beginning of class; I showed up in street clothes thinking I could change there. Now I know better.
I'm already rather sore, I'm sure I'll be super stiff in the morning.
By CantStandStillPremium member Comments: 44, member since Sat Jul 07, 2012
On Mon Jul 09, 2012 03:55 AM
Thank you so much for this thread! It is very comforting :P

I am 27, and I've been studying highland about 2 months now with a weekly lesson. My previous experence is in informal ballet training, and other things picked up here and there for musicals (tap, jazz, hiphop, etc.). I do lots of folk dancing (English Country Dance, Irish, Contra) and some ballroom (salsa and swing).

Out of all of the forms I've studied, none have come close to Highland in the independence that a dancer has, and opportunities to perform and compete. I think it is a great dance form for adults.

I was inspired actually at my church of all places -- we have an amazing St. Andrew's Day service :) I felt such a swell of pride watching dancers do the sword and seann truibhas with the live pipes. I wanted to do that!

So after one of the services I chatted up the dancer, whose mother I later found out I knew all along, blah blah blah, and now I'm taking lessons in preparation for this year's St. Andrew's Day service!

Being an adult I will have to say, getting started at least, that dreams of glory in competition have to take the back seat. The only reason I'm getting a FUSTA membership is to set goals for myself and to get in contact with other highland dancers in my region. I am really more interested in the tradition and the possibility of performing in cultural events. I like the music too :)

The age gap is not a problem for me. My ego is already pretty much shot after years of dance. If I'm ever dancing with kids, I just politely ask them if they can help me perfect my steps. :D That usually glosses over any potential awkward feelings.

Cheers!
By JGray Comments: 17, member since Wed Sep 26, 2012
On Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:52 PM
What a great thread! I have to say I was so pleased to see that there are other adults starting out who have big plans for their highland dance careers. I too would like to dance at Cowal one day. It's a new addition to my bucket list, and one that will take me several years, but a goal none the less and one I will keep working for.
By sew_what Comments: 113, member since Mon Mar 18, 2013
On Thu Apr 04, 2013 06:10 PM
I love this article. I am over 40 and always wanted to do highland dancing and was not allowed when growing up. I forgot about it in highschool and then in college. Now I want to start taking lessons. Don't know when I would get to perform but might start taking lessons anyway. thanks again for the info
By MrsButt Comments: 7, member since Wed Apr 04, 2012
On Thu May 09, 2013 10:52 AM
I LOVE this thread. Just wanted to say thank you to everyone that has commented. I'm 25 yet I feel like I'm 50 sometimes in class. Your positive comments, humor and suggestions for strengthening are awesome! Thank you SO very much everyone :)
By debcevans Comments: 12, member since Sun Jun 08, 2008
On Sun Aug 18, 2013 07:48 AM
I am almost 59 and thinking of taking highland dance. My daughter, who is a premier level dancer, is heading off for college and won't be around to laugh at me. She actually is supportive of me doing this. I don't intend to compete. but I have been sitting in her classes watching her for the last 14 years. Some of it must have sunk in to my head. I have good turn out from many years of ballet, and I am still reasonably flexible. My endurance is not good, but I can build up. What do you all think?
By celtic_reel Comments: 1030, member since Wed Jul 14, 2004
On Sun Aug 18, 2013 05:41 PM
debcevans, go for it! I see plenty of people at the gym in their 50s who seem to be in better shape than the middle school students that I teach in public school. In any case, you will have fun.
On Mon Aug 19, 2013 02:24 PM
Give it a try, you have nothing to lose. Start slowly, wear padded shoes and do exercises to prevent shin splints. Good times ahead!
By plaidbow Comments: 3, member since Thu Jan 28, 2016
On Thu Jan 28, 2016 04:01 PM
Great topic! I enjoyed reading the questions and various thoughts on them. My sister and I both started Highland dancing in our early 20’s after wanting to do it as kids and our parents not wanting to deal with the expense. Sometimes it can be a little awkward, and we were even told that we were too old for the beginner class at one competition, but mostly it’s great fun and great exercise. Seven years (and a major knee injury and recovery for me) later we’re both still dancing and still loving it. We’ve been fortunate to have a few other “older” dancers in the area who all support and encourage each other. I love the idea of practicing at the gym and will have to try it sometime.
By macgregorje Comments: 25, member since Wed Jun 12, 2013
On Thu Feb 11, 2016 09:46 AM
I love seeing adult dancers and competitors. Thank you lovely adults for keeping the craft alive. Dance your hearts out!!!!
By Juniper417 Comments: 1, member since Mon Feb 13, 2017
On Mon Feb 13, 2017 09:49 AM
This thread is very helpful and encouraging! I'm over 50 and have just started. I have always loved Highland Dancing and decided I want to learn it. I don't plan on competing...just doing it for exercise.
Page:
Page 3 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch