Poll: Advice / Cars & Driving

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
How Many Times Did You Take Your Permit Test Before Passing?
By Piano_on_Pointemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jun 24, 2009 02:04 AM

Please specify in a reply if you'd like!
I was just curious.
I get to test for my permit on July 31!!

25 Replies to How Many Times Did You Take Your Permit Test Before Passing?

re: How Many Times Did You Take Your Permit Test Before Passing?
By AlinWonderlandmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jun 24, 2009 06:03 AM
I missed every single one of the 5 your allowed to miss, and all the rest I got correct lol, my mom wasn't exactly excited to take me on the road.
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jun 24, 2009 06:21 AM
I took the test at 16 in Wisconsin. We did the written test as part of Drivers Ed. class in high school. This was a required course, but did not include behind the wheel driving. My Dad was my instructor in behind the wheel stuff and he was very good at it. He taught my Mom how to drive when they were dating and had taught our neighbor who didn't learn how to drive until she was over 40.

I did have one false start. I went with my Mom to the examination point but they would not accept her signature to sign the permission slip, it had to be my father. They could do this in 1958. So we had to make another appointment. The examiner was in town only once a week. There was no closed course, so the exam was on city streets. I did it on a stick shift car and the examiner started the test at 11:30AM by telling me he had not passed anyone yet that day. A real confindence booster. I finished the test and the examiner told my Mom that I was the best prepared examinee he had seen in a long time. I think much of that was due to my Dad being a private airplane pilot and he taught me with the same thoroughness that pilots go through. He took me out for practice every night after school and work for two months.

When I moved from Wisconsin to Maryland, I was granted reciprocity for my license and didn't have to take the driving portion of the test. I went to our MVA HQ to get my Maryland license and to register my car in this state, but it wasn't until I got there that I learned that I did have to take the Maryland written test. The examiner gave me their little booklet to read through. It was only ten multiple guess questions and I passed, but according to that test, it takes more distance to stop a car in Maryland than it does in Wisconsin :P.

Jon
By Snuffymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jun 24, 2009 06:25 AM
Edited by Snuffy (189942) on 2009-06-24 07:45:53 I'm silly!
I spent 7 years learning to drive, so I'm glad I passed the test first time - sure had enough practise! :P

Edit: Oh whoops! I was talking about the actual driving test, not the test that allows you to become a learner! Okay, for my learners' test, I passed it three times. Yes, it ran out twice in the time I was learning, so I had to do it three times. I passed every time, though. How I am still not confident about road rules, I do not know, LOL!

Good luck, Piano_on_Pointe! Remember that many good drivers don't pass on their first go, so try not to feel too much pressure - just focus on your driving and see how it goes. :)
By Danamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jun 24, 2009 06:51 AM
I took my permit test once, but if I had missed one more question I would have failed. Whatever, they were stupid questions... why would I need to memorize the Nevada Highway Patrol's phone number? For one thing, that's what cell phones are for. For another... I have Triple A for emergencies :P

I only took my license test once, too. Go good drivers!
By TheStoryTellermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jun 24, 2009 07:49 AM
I took it once.
It's really not all that difficult, at least here in Canada it isn't.
By BgirlDoesBallet
On Wed Jun 24, 2009 09:50 AM
Edited by BgirlDoesBallet (212171) on 2009-06-24 09:54:02
I passed my permit test on the first try (I took driver's ed through a really good program so usually there are only one or two kids per driver's ed class there that don't and they almost always get it on their second try). Where I live, if you take your license test within so many months of completeing driver's ed (I think it's 18 but I'm not positive), you don't have to take the written so I didn't have to do that. I also passed the road test for my license on my first try- just barely though.

Good luck with your test!
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:43 AM
Passed the first time but by like one point.
By DancingDiva736member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:53 AM
Passed on the first try-both the driving and written test.
By CaitDestinymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jun 24, 2009 04:18 PM
I had to take a written test in order to get my permit. I passed on my first time. We had 3 chances to pass until we had to pay the money and take the class again.

The test had 80 questions on it, and I missed I believe about 5.

I have to take my driving test right before I go to get my licences in November. I think I'll do good, but thats up to the instructor to decide.
By Meg_
On Wed Jun 24, 2009 06:27 PM
On the first try of my written test, i got 3 questions wrong, I think you were allowed 6 wrong. As for my road test, I failed 3x before I passed. Lol.
By alwaysonmytoesmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jun 24, 2009 09:14 PM
The Illinois permit test is pretty simple. Or, at least, I thought it was. I got all the questions right. But that doesn't really say a lot because I still don't have a license. Hahahaha. :P
By BeautifulMistakemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:03 PM
I took the test for my learners in Drivers Ed at school and my whole class (granted, we're a TINY class) passed on their first go. :)
By KeepOnSinginPremium member
On Thu Jun 25, 2009 06:56 AM
I passed my permit test the first time. In NYS it's a written test, all multiple choice, 20 questions I think, and you can get up to 5 wrong. I got 3 wrong. You need no prep or anything (there are no required classes, in fact, you can't take any of the classes until you've gotten your permit). But you DO need to prepare for the road test (test where they give you your license).
By saor_celticmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jun 25, 2009 07:57 AM
Truthfully I don't even remember taking a permit test. I had driver's ed in school - Written & behind the wheel. I passed both. Then when I went to get my license. I had to retake the behind the wheel test because my birthday just happened to fall on a date that they were "checking to make sure that the schools were doing things properly". So amidst all the snow and ice, as my bday is in January, I had to retake the test and passed with flying colors, yet again :D
By PointePlace
On Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:58 PM
I passed mine n the first try! I was soo nervous I thought I had failed and then it said I passed! I was so excited I missed like 3 questions on the road rules section and none on the road signs.
By dancinqt5013member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jul 11, 2009 02:12 PM
I passed the first time. I didn't even study for it officially. I had already taken drivers ed though, so I knew the stuff. I only got one question wrong. My sister, however, failed it four times and actually studied in addition to drivers ed.
By rosalinde
On Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:08 AM
I took lessons through an official school, but I wasn't confident at all so I only passed at the third try.

Now I sometimes think I'm too confident ...
By somedancer125
On Fri Jul 17, 2009 07:37 PM
I took the permit test the day after my 16th birthday, though you can get your permit at 15 & 9 months here. And I took the test once. where I am from it's a rather easy test as to some places. The permit test is only 20 questions, I got 17 out of 20, really easy. Then I took Driver's ED four months later.

Still have gotten my license, had my permit 16 months.

As long as you study you'll be fine. Good luck!
By HollieErin
On Wed Jul 22, 2009 03:50 PM
I got my permit on the first try, my licence on the second.
By irishdancer113member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jul 22, 2009 04:23 PM
I passed the permit test on the first try, but not by much. I barely glanced at the book before I went!

The license test, I passed the first and second time. My birthday fell before Driver's Ed in school was finished, so I took the license test on my birthday, and finished out the class with a license. But for the final exam, I had to take the license test again. So I passed twice- something I remind my boyfriend when he starts whining about female drivers ;)
By MissAshleymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Aug 05, 2009 09:34 AM
Wow, definitely didnt even know we had a board like this! :]

But I barely read the book either. I read stuff online because it was more interesting than a book, plus it had colorful moving photos. And did all the practice tests. When I took the actual test I guessed on most of them but I passed!

Its been like..3 months and Ive only driven about 4 times. :( Its so hard to get someone to take the time out and teach you!
By TeenDancer16member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:44 AM
I just took the test yesterday and passed on first try. It wasn't too hard, but I did get 4 wrong which was the max without failing. I don't think I'll be driving anytime soon though. I only needed the license for ID, and I don't think I could handle my Mom trying to teach me.
By TeenDancer16member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:45 AM
I just took the test yesterday and passed on first try. It wasn't too hard, but I did get 4 wrong which was the max without failing. I don't think I'll be driving anytime soon though. I only needed the license for ID, and I don't think I could handle my Mom trying to teach me.
By Piano_on_Pointemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:51 PM
I did end up taking my permit test on July 31, my 15 1/2 birthday, and I think I missed all the ones I'm aloud to miss. But I had completely forgotten to study. So I was really surprised that I passed.
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch