Popular Teachers

Need help finding a title for choreography by darcey
... I need a Title for a Solo - the Title needs to let the audience and judges know - what the piece...

Forum: Highland / Highland - Teachers Only

Highland - Teachers Only
Would Like to Take My Teachers Exam en>fr fr>en
By scottychick Comments: 47, member since Thu Jun 18, 2009
On Thu Jun 25, 2009 09:04 AM

I haven't been dancing in 17 years and would like to return in order to get my Teachers. The last time I competed I was in the old system and was a Open dancer. Since the levels have changed and there is now a card system, would I still be able to take my teachers exam or would I have to start all over again at dancing entering as a beginner and working my way up again. I am now 36 years old and can still spout off each and every step to the majority of the dances. I will however need to brush up and get back into shape in order to perform the dances for the exam. Do any of you know of others who have done this?

8 Replies to Would Like to Take My Teachers Exam

re: Would Like to Take My Teachers Exam en>fr fr>en
By puddelilly Comments: 578, member since Thu Sep 11, 2008
On Thu Jun 25, 2009 09:33 AM
I'm in pretty much the same position. No, you don't have to re-compete. Technically, you don't have to have ever competed. Get a copy of the new SOBHD book and memorize the way they have the dances written. If you didn't learn the dances the same way the book says, it will be a little more studying. You only have to know the 4 Highland dances. If you're only doing the associates you only have to know the regular steps, not the alternates. Are you doing BATD, SDTA or UKA? I heard a rumor that if you are over 30 in the BATD you don't actually have to dance the whole dances, just demonstrate the steps. Of course if you are in good shape you can dance the complete dances. I'd find a study partner. It's been really hard not having anyone to study with. I can't seem to set aside the time and get much accomplished without that accountability. Sigh!!
Good luck!
By Royalstewarthd Comments: 483, member since Sun Dec 03, 2006
On Thu Jul 02, 2009 07:12 PM
Your teacher's exam has nothing to do with competing so you don't have to worry. I can't imagine why you would take your Associates exam; I think most examiners would suggest going straight to your Member Highland. (Once you have accomplished this, you can go on to your Member National). In the BATD, you would have an option of having someone dance the steps for you (while you explained). I hope this helps. Keep studying.
By emmyport Comments: 848, member since Thu Mar 13, 2008
On Thu Jul 02, 2009 09:57 PM
puddelilly wrote:

I'd find a study partner. It's been really hard not having anyone to study with. I can't seem to set aside the time and get much accomplished without that accountability. Sigh!!

Maybe we should start a DDN mentoring program for folks who are studying to take their teachers...

Scottychick, are there any teachers in your area who might be able to help you prepare?

~ Emily
By ifinance Comments: 2275, member since Mon Jun 26, 2006
On Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:11 PM
Royalstewarthd wrote:

In the BATD, you would have an option of having someone dance the steps for you (while you explained).

How cool! Is this in writing somewhere?
re: Would Like to Take My Teachers Exam (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
By Royalstewarthd Comments: 483, member since Sun Dec 03, 2006
On Fri Jul 03, 2009 07:48 AM
Yes, it is in the Bulletins. It is Bye Law C11 which states "Candidates over the age of 40 years for Associate, Member and Fellow in any of the Association's branches other than Ballroom or Majorette, may have a pupil who has been trained by the candidate in practical part of the examination. It must be clearly understood by the candidate that the examiner may request him/her to dance any part of the dances required for the practical demonstration during the examination".

If you choose to do this, you must inform the BATD in advance.

Hope this helps. (I think you might be too young for this bye law to apply, scottychick, but if not, go for it!)
On Fri Jul 03, 2009 09:28 AM
Yes, that definitely helps! Thank you so much!
On Fri Jul 03, 2009 09:30 AM
Yes, that definitely helps! Thank you so much!
By truibhas58 Comments: 7, member since Thu Apr 16, 2009
On Sun Aug 02, 2009 06:13 PM
I empathize with how difficult it is to follow-through on the preparation, as I was in your place (only 10 years older!) several years ago. I had not competed in almost 30 years when I finally took my exam, and it took me several years, but amidst the persistent realities of life --raising of children, caregiving to handicapped parent, divorce, graduate school, etc. -- it did finally happen! But only with the encouragement of others in the extended Highland Dance community could it have. Plus a supportive group of dance parents (and pretty nice new husband!) Try to find a credentialed teacher to work with -- to at least bounce questions off of even if it's via email -- and try to set a timeline for achieving your goal. If there's any way you could attend a dance camp or workshop that focuses on teacher training / exam prep. (Ohio Scottish Arts School in June, for example), that might really help. I'm in my 50s now and have several competing students, including my daughter . . . it's worth it!!!

Hope this posting helps, too.

ReplySendWatch