Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Beginners

What would you buy?
By veganwarriormember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jun 25, 2009 02:18 PM

I need help deciding what to buy for my jazz/hip-hop fusion class. I used to take a class once a week for one hour. Now I'm taking a once a week 5 hour class, and I want to be comfortable. There is no dress code, you can pretty much wear anything. I feel most comfortable barefoot, but I want some protection. I also love the way jazz shoes look, but I will not wear leather (unless I have to for a competition or something). So finding jazz shoes has been near impossible. Anywho I was thinking of getting some of these things.

Jazz shoes
www.discountdance.com . . .

Tights

Leo's Illusion

stirrup tights

Dance paws

What do you think? What would you get? Have you used any of these items?

I have been thinking about this for 3 days. I don't want to spend more than $50. I have no clue what to get. I just want other peoples input. The only person I've asked is my mom and she can't make a decision either.

16 Replies to What would you buy?

re: What would you buy?
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jun 25, 2009 03:03 PM
So once a week five for five hours at a time? I wouldn't bother with tight in that case. Just get some Jazz pants and a tank top.

Shoes. In that case I'd go with the dance paws for right now.
On Thu Jun 25, 2009 03:43 PM
majere wrote:

I wouldn't bother with tight in that case. Just get some Jazz pants and a tank top.

Why? I haven't worn tights (The last time was when I was 7). Are they a hassle?
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jun 25, 2009 03:49 PM
Well, I personally hate wearing tights for more than two hours.

Maybe after one class you can see if anyone else is wearing them and if so get some.
By liltapdollmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jun 25, 2009 09:28 PM
Jazz shoes would work best for me, personally.

Dance Paws are good but they might get annoying after awhile, especially 5 hours at a time. My toes tend to get a little sore after a couple hours of wearing them.
On Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:52 PM
Thank you both. I have jazz/hip-hop sneakers. I'm going to use those until they wear out (instead of getting the jazz shoes). I want to get some tights and dance paws just to try them out.

Now I mainly just want to know if I should get the transition tights or the stirrup tights?

What kind of tights do you use?
By BgirlDoesBallet
On Fri Jun 26, 2009 01:21 PM
If I were you, I'd go with majere's advice and just wear jazz pants and a tank top. I love tights and do wear them to jazz but I wouldn't want to wear them to hip hop unless it was required. I don't know, it just doesn't seem like it'd be comfortable. If you still do want tights, I would go with convertable ones since you can choose if you want footed, ankle length, mid-calf length, knee length, etc.

As for shoes, I wouldn't get foot undies or go barefoot. Lately I've been doing jazz with foot undies instead of leather jazz shoes and I absolutely love it but I wouldn't recomend it for hip hop. Depending on your teacher's style, it can be really hard on your feet so like you said, you need some protection. I would definitely wear dance sneakers, especially if you're doing this for five hours.
On Fri Jun 26, 2009 04:43 PM
Okay. Thank you you all really helped a lot. I'll probably just use the dance paws for warm-up and the stuff across the floor. Most of the time the other girls dance in their socks so I don't think my feet need that much protection, but you never know they just might have hard feet =). I still do want to get one pair of tights (convertible) just to try them out. I have a million pairs of sweat pants and tanktops I can wear, so no worries there.

Thanks again. I think I've finally made my decision.
By Danamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jun 26, 2009 05:49 PM
Most jazz shoes are synthetic leather, especially the cheaper ones, just FYI - I don't think you're going to be compromising your principles by buying a pair!
On Fri Jun 26, 2009 07:12 PM
really? Do know any specific names or brands? Maybe I wasn't looking at the right things. =) If I found more durable shoes I might buy those (the canvas ones I was looking at aren't very durable).
By JazzDancer221
On Sat Jun 27, 2009 08:57 PM
I use the convertible tights. They are the most comfortable for me. Although, I don't like to wear tights. If I were you I would wear a tank top and sweat shorts or booty shorts.
By DigitalDancer
On Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:57 PM
veganwarrior wrote:

Now I mainly just want to know if I should get the transition tights or the stirrup tights?

I personally think the transition tights would work better, you can use them for multiple things besides the class. Plus you can use them for dance paws (you said you liked working barefoot) and jazz shoes. I personally hate working in jazz shoes with my toes sticking to the canvas.
By DigitalDancer
On Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:59 PM
veganwarrior wrote:

I personally think the transition tights would work better, you can use them for multiple things besides the class. Plus you can use them for dance paws (you said you liked working barefoot) and jazz shoes. I personally hate working in jazz shoes with my toes sticking to the canvas.
By T_Dance_Girl
On Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:18 PM
I'd go with the jazz shoes, only becaise of the turning you're probably going to do in your class. I wouldn't bother with the tights though, they get uncomfortable after awhile.
By luvxx2xxdancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jul 11, 2009 03:48 PM
If you're dancing for five hours, you're gonna get all sticky and sweaty. I'd wear some shorts and tank top with a sports bra under it, so if you get too hot just take the tank top off!! =]
By dancerqtxoxo40
On Sun Jul 12, 2009 06:05 PM
My favorite type of shoes are adage turners.I had to buy them for one of my classes and now that's all i wear.As for tights i just use my tights from the past year and i just cut them off into capris!

Adage turners shop.justforkix.com . . .
By DancinDiva2005member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jul 12, 2009 06:35 PM
I'm with the others..for a class that is that long and that's also both hip-hop and jazz, I would definitely just wear some jazz pants..I can't imagine how wearing tights for 5 hours would be comfortable..especially for hip-hop.
Also, I would also look into getting shoes, just because when you're dancing for that long, you're going to want to make sure your feet are the most protected, and I can picture you getting blisters or something on your feet if you only wore dancepaws for all of class. You could look into the dancepaws for just across the floor stuff..but I would just wear jazz shoes to start off with, just to see how you feel.

So: jazz pants/capris, tank top and jazz shoes/boots.

ReplySendWatch