Forum: Advice / Pilates/Yoga

what to wear..?
By balletloverrrr
On Fri Jun 26, 2009 06:33 PM

Okay so im starting pilates next week and need to know what to wear. Im a ballet dancer but have no idea what the heck people wear to pilates.

So my question is..what do you usually wear/bring to pilates?

5 Replies to what to wear..?

re: what to wear..?
By jb_dancer_chicamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jun 26, 2009 07:20 PM
My entire dance/workout wardrobe consists of lululemon clothes so to pilates I wear either lulu capris or longer shorts, and a tank top. If you are not familiar with lululemon it is just a lyrca type clothing. Basically anything that stretches, breathes and is not too loose or baggy is perfect! Make sure you are comfortable so you are focusing on the exercises and not your clothing.
By Mai1
On Sun Jun 28, 2009 04:13 PM
Wear anything comfortable and stretchy. I tend to wear boot cut leggings or stretchy capri pants. Just be sure you can fully concentrate on what your instructor tells you and not have to worry about your clothing. Other people in my class also wear shorts or tracksuit trousers. Have fun.
By GrishkoMerrell
On Mon Jun 29, 2009 06:14 AM
My "uniform"

fitted shirt - so if I do a shoulder stand, my shirt won't end up at my chin. Also, for the same reason as in dance; it's easier for the teacher to see whether your abs are engaged

cover up - some places do a relaxation at the end, and if they've got the AC on and you were sweating during class, you're going to be freezing now! Bring a hoodie or something to pull on, just in case.

capris or jazz pants - yeah, I know a lot of people wear short shorts, but I like a little more coverage... if I'm going to be in a full v-sit, I don't want to worry about whether my undies are color coordinated with my shorts. This is just a personal comfort thing, though. Pilates puts you in funny positions and I'm more comfortable if I don't have to worry about what that guy next to me can see in the mirror.

sneakers and socks with no holes - does this sound like I learned it from experience? Most places will have you barefoot, but some classes will have you in sneakers, or some will have you start in sneakers but then take them off (at which point everyone left their socks on and I had a huge hole in the big toe...)

hair is up - you'll be sweating, so you'll want your hair out of your way. At the same time, imagine yourself back up in that shoulder stand again and think about how hard it would be if you had a ponytail or bun right on the back of your head that was forcing your head forward. I like a high ponytail or just a braid or something.

Hope that's helpful! Really, it's whatever workout clothes you're comfortable in, but I thought it might be helpful to know the "why" behind the recommendations.
By MarlaSingermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:27 AM
When I was doing pilates, I always used to wear fitted yoga pants from Old Navy with a stretchy cami and a fitted tank top over the cami. Fitted clothes are recommended so the instructor can make sure your form is correct. I'm really small on top, so I didn't wear a bra, just a cami with a shelf bra and then the tank top over that for an extra layer in case it got cold or something. :) But other girls who were bustier wore sports bras under tank tops.
By balletloverrrr
On Mon Jun 29, 2009 02:53 PM
aww thanks so much guys!
so im planning on wearing these cute yoga pants i just got from victorias secret with a cami.
Im excited for my class :)

ReplySendWatch