Forum: Arts / Religion

I'm counselling grade seven eight and nine girls this summer for week. tips?
By soulfiremember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jul 03, 2009 05:26 PM

heyo, so basically title says it all. i'm pretty nervous but so excited! i was a leader in training last year for this same age group and it was an incredible experience, but i had like the MOST amazing cabin last year, and it was super easy cause they were all really good kids. so i'm really nervous cause i may end up with some pretty messed up kids. along with tips for what to do and talk about with these girls i would love for you guys to pray for me too!

2 Replies to I'm counselling grade seven eight and nine girls this summer for week. tips?

re: I'm counselling grade seven eight and nine girls this summer for week. tips?
By KayEllePremium member
On Fri Jul 03, 2009 05:44 PM
I've worked with 12-14 year olds in a lot of different settings, and when I first started, I'm not going to lie, I was a bit of an idiot about it, and had more or less no idea what I was doing. So all of this comes from trial and error on my part.

1. Don't treat them like babies. Kids that age want independence, and they're pretty well able to take care of themselves. The more choices they have, the better, because they love making their own decisions.

2. Be enthusiastic about programming (I'm assuming this is a summer camp), but not like, jumping up and down squealing enthusiastic, because they pick up on fakeness really fast. If you genuinely like arts and crafts or whatever, make that known. If you're not totally down with canoeing, on the other hand, say you've never really done it before but it looks like fun, so let's try it, hey?

3. 12-14 year olds are EXTREMELY worried about looking good in front of their friends and you can use that to your advantage. Don't address behavioural issues in public, but if they've done something awesome, you can feel free to let them know in front of other people. Also, you can use some kids to help you keep others in line - for example, I had one girl that just did not want to participate in one activity, and was sitting off alone by the fence. I mentioned to another kid in my group that it looked like she wasn't having much fun, and maybe she'd want to come play if YOU asked her. Turns out it worked.
re: I'm counselling grade seven eight and nine girls this summer for week. tips?
By balletsfriendmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:14 AM
I work with that age group!

I like what ^ said a lot. How I see it is that at that age, most girls just want a friend. Especially an older friend. That way they look cool, but they also have someone to talk to about more serious stuff that isn't their mom. Just be there to listen to them; no lectures about stuff they've done or whatever. Like an older sister. Girls that age love to think they're mature and know everything; having you as a friend helps with that. Obviously, since you are basically in charge of them, if they are doing something wrong at camp, you should talk to them about it, but otherwise, when everyone is being good and having fun, just be there to encourage them and have fun with them.

When I first started working with jr. high girls I was a bit scared because I didn't know what I was doing. But then I just started thinking of myself at that age and what I liked and didn't like. I love working with those girls now. It's so fun to see them grow up and become great young women!

ReplySendWatch