Priority Teaching Jobs

Forum: Folk / Polynesian Dance

Polynesian Dance
tahitian hip bands - hip heis en>fr fr>en
By jessov Comments: 9, member since Sat Oct 25, 2008
On Fri Jul 03, 2009 06:38 PM

are they made the same as a tahitian ti leaf head piece?

8 Replies to tahitian hip bands - hip heis

re: tahitian hip bands - hip heis en>fr fr>en
By kanoa Comments: 3, member since Tue Jun 30, 2009
On Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:44 PM
Hmmm...

I would think it depends on the kind you are making. I am assuming the hip hei you are making is also ti leaf? If so then I would think it's the same kind of braiding since it looks the same, although I have never actually made those myself.

I also have a couple that I have made myself that are basically flowers sewn onto belting. Probably better for aparima though than otea.

Anybody happen to have any instructions on those ti leaf hip heis? So pretty!

Me ke aloha pumehana,

Kanoa
By jessov Comments: 9, member since Sat Oct 25, 2008
On Sat Jul 04, 2009 03:18 PM
yes, im asking for instructions on making a ti leaf hip band. I know how to make a ti leaf head piece but im wondering if its the same exact way of making a head piece. as in...would I have to make the width bigger or keep it the same as I would in a head piece? and would i braid the ti leaves straight down or have then coming from the left and right of the braid? (forget I said that if it sounds confusing lol)
By ohanaPremium member Comments: 127, member since Mon Nov 26, 2007
On Sat Jul 04, 2009 06:46 PM
Edited by ohana7 (188688) on 2009-07-04 18:47:21
I should preface this and say that I teach Polynesian dance, sewing, and Hawaiian quilting. Every so often I brush up on my costume making skills when I go back home to Hawaii or when family visits.

My mom was here last week and she showed me how to do this. The way she did it was similar for both except she used shorter leaves for the hip hei and longer, bigger leaves for the head and yes, the width of the base wasn't the same.

I think it's a YMMV thing, though, because it really depends on what you want the finished product to look like. I would say try a few sample pieces to get the look you want. I personally like a thick base for both, but not everyone likes it that way. :]

Hope this helps.
By Tahiti_E_Imua Comments: 44, member since Wed May 27, 2009
On Tue Jul 07, 2009 01:18 PM
Edited by Tahiti_E_Imua (212047) on 2009-07-07 13:19:36
Just thought I'd add this in for you ones like me who often get asked in a pinch to dance and don't have access to fresh ti leaves asap...this is my budget style, in-a-pinch hip-hei, and all you need to have access to is a grocery store and an old pareau:

I was in New Zealand a few years back, got a call at 10am, asking if I could come dance for something at 6pm that same day. I was busy with family and didn't have time to go round picking leaves, etc. So, we ran out to Pak and Save, picked up maybe 10 of those brown grocery bags, and slashed a pareau.... had my cousins cut the bags into strips about 3 inches long by 1-2 inches wide... then we braided them together with the pareau pieces, same as you would the head or hip-hei like normal.

The result: from a couple feet away, it just looked like a brown hip-hei, couldn't even tell what it was made of... it moved really well too, esp. set against the black pareau I was wearing.. I know it's ghetto, but whatever you gotta do, right? Plus, it lasts forever, so you can always just make one, then stuff it away for the next time someone asks you last-minute to dance.
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7847, member since Thu Mar 31, 2005
On Tue Jul 07, 2009 08:48 PM
^It may be ghetto, but I'm trying that this summer!
By ohanaPremium member Comments: 127, member since Mon Nov 26, 2007
On Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:21 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, Tahiti E Imua.

I am going to file that for future use. :)
By rahiti_nui Comments: 4, member since Wed Aug 12, 2009
On Wed Aug 12, 2009 02:07 AM
Edited by rahiti_nui (215109) on 2009-08-12 02:10:46
aloha all...im new to this blogging trip..but came across question on how to make hip hays..my wife takes a piece of long thin material and loops it.tying the end so it is a loop....so you have a double long piece if you pull on the ends...usually one end on the bed post...and the other end with your toe..lol...making two strips tight....with desired length of hau or raffia...bring up horizontal under the two strips of material. with the middle of the raffia touching material...bring both ends over and down in between of two strips pulling it down...now slide all the way to the bed post end..keeping that tight there start on the next one..and repeat..if that isnt easy enough..reply to kaukaniohana@hotmail.com...and i will try to clarify...mahalos...glad to help...
By hawaiigirl99 Comments: 18, member since Tue Aug 04, 2009
On Wed Aug 12, 2009 06:06 PM
To rahiti_nui, thanks :D imma try this some time.

To Tahiti_E_Imua that may be ghetto, but it seems like the best idea to me XD I live in washington state, in a desert area, and can't find any of the leaves :) Thanks for posting, this will help me a lot :D

ReplySendWatch