Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Beginners

How can I do more pirouettes
By T_Dance_Girl
On Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:35 PM

Hi, my jazz class is out for summer, *sigh* but next year we need to learn three pirouettes. I can get two, but can't get to three. I do what my teacher told me last time I saw her, but it doesn't help much. Any tips on doing pirouettes would help.

Thanx- T_Dance_Girl

23 Replies to How can I do more pirouettes

re: How can I do more pirouettes
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:42 PM
What's stopping you from doing three? Spotting? Falling out of them?
By T_Dance_Girl
On Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:55 PM
I fall out of them, so I'm wondering how I can fix that.
On Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:58 PM
T_Dance_Girl wrote:

I fall out of them, so I'm wondering how I can fix that.

Falling forward or backwards? Either way you need to work on finding your center.
By NickfromDvaldamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jul 04, 2009 03:09 PM
*Sigh*
A lot of people are camera shy, but problems with tricky things like pirouettes require either a lot of description or a video so we can help you.
By T_Dance_Girl
On Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:46 PM
I'm a little tired, but I'll do my best. I can get two, and sometimes 2 1/2 but when I start to move a bit and I immediately put my foot down. I mostly think I need to trust myself and fibd my center like majere said. Do you know any go tips for "finding my center"? If I can get a video I will. I'll try to find a better description in the morning.

Thanks- T.
By tapndjazzchick64
On Sun Jul 05, 2009 01:23 PM
practice, practice, practice. and spot (:
On Sun Jul 05, 2009 02:00 PM
T_Dance_Girl wrote:

I'm a little tired, but I'll do my best. I can get two, and sometimes 2 1/2 but when I start to move a bit and I immediately put my foot down. I mostly think I need to trust myself and fibd my center like majere said. Do you know any go tips for "finding my center"? If I can get a video I will. I'll try to find a better description in the morning.

Thanks- T.

I do the same thing.

Do the prep you normally do and just balance in retire until you can't anymore then finish it. While balancing notice if you are pulling your hip up if so correct it, check your shoulders etc.

When you do turn it count down 3,2,1. Think head, head, arms, arms, and leg, leg.

Are these turned out or in?
By T_Dance_Girl
On Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:38 PM
Thanks, I'm working on doing that right now or in the morning I guess. I'll tell you how that works out.

Thanks again! T
By FollowurDreams
On Sun Jul 12, 2009 05:05 PM
Hi! I know turns can be very tricky because they require almost perfect placement. If you are falling out of your turns it is because your placement is off when you are preping for the turn. Some studios prep different, but most of the time you will prep in some form of fourth position. If you are falling out of it forward, you are putting too much weight on your foot in front of you. (Same as if you are falling backwards... too much weight on the back foot) If you are falling sideways out of it you may be placing one hip higher than the other. Remember they must be completely squared off and face directly forward. Now, ways to help you feel comfortable finding your center: Go into your prep position, but make sure your weight is right in the middle, not leaning too much forward or too much back. Check your hip position. Now pull up as if you were going to turn, but don't... see how long you can hold it before falling out of it. Make sure everything is pulled up, shoulders pressing down (No shrugging), and the ribcage is closed ("using your center"). Hips should still be squared, you don't want one higher than the other, and foot should be attached to the knee.

See how many counts you can hold. Try this a few times and then prep and go into your turn. Remember to spot and use the correct arm as your leader!

It takes practice but I know you can do it! Sorry this is so long but I hope it helps you out!
By ashleythedancer
On Thu Jul 16, 2009 01:55 PM
Spot spot spot! You may not be spotting fast enough (that's what used to keep me from getting my triple!). Keep your shoulders down and back, and make sure your arms are in the correct placement. Make sure that you do not "wind up" before your turn. And if you feel like you're going to fall out, just keep going!

Hope this helped!
By FollowurDreams
On Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:36 AM
Ashleythedancer is right also! Make sure you are using your spot correctly, and even if you think you are spotting right, make sure your eyes are staying focused while you spot also! I use to wander my eyes around the room even though I was spotting my head right and that can throw you off also!
By DigitalDancer
On Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:10 PM
Practice, Practice, Practice. Always make sure you are keeping good form and starting with your plies. Don't forget to practice on both feet or else you can end up knowing how to do four on one foot and one on the other.
By luvxx2xxdancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:11 AM
Ugh. My problem is I'm like programmed to do 2. When ever I try 3 or 4, I immediately put my foot down, and if I don't I freak out and fall out of the turn!! =[
By taylorhgmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Aug 20, 2009 03:40 PM
1) ALWAYS spot, as everyone is saying
2) snatch up into the retire right from the plie, don't let your supporting leg go onto demi before you're in retire, it has to be all at once (may sound a liiittle confusing, but that was how i was taught)
3) hold your core
4) practice.

During the camp that i'm doing right now (ballet, but pirouettes are the same principal in both) i've finally mastered atleast landing a proper double. I can get triples every so often, and if i'm lucky, more, but, really, practice helps a ton!

good luck :)

taylor xxo
By Dancerina7
On Thu Aug 20, 2009 03:50 PM
Hold your arms tighter to your body. You should spot. Work on your balance.
By sickntwist3d
On Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:50 PM
I also have that problem luvxx2xxdance, I'm pretty sure I can physically do a triple, but after I do two my leg goes down and my brain's like nope, you're not doing this. I think it's just scary that I feel like I will lose control, but I've already fallen on my butt in front of my 30 classmates so what's the worst that could happen right?
By Music_is_love13
On Sun Oct 18, 2009 06:54 PM
My advice: hold your center!!! (My teacher yells that one a lot) Just clench your abs and think tight, tight, tight, it'll keep you from falling out. Oh, and make sure you don't let your heel go down when you're turning; hold that releve!
By iDancer518member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Oct 19, 2009 09:58 AM
What I do is sike myself out so to speak. Instead of concentrating on how many revolutions I make, I concentrate on spotting/technique. Which takes my mind off of everything else. Majority of the time, I'm able to get around nicely.
By T_Dance_Girl
On Sun Nov 01, 2009 06:40 PM
Thanks guys, I couldn't go on in a while so here I am. I am getting better can't really practice now though I have too much going on but i got a triple in my supp. class and a quad suku I think (sp?0 at home) thanks again! T
By xdancer9312x
On Thu Nov 26, 2009 09:10 AM
Try holding your center (like everyone else here has said). Also try making sure that when you go to turn you bring your shoulders around with you but don't hunch them so they are up by your ears. If you do this right then your turns will improve so much more and it will help you do three. And like always spot!!! Hope this helps!
By c58sgreat
On Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:27 PM
majere wrote:

When you do turn it count down 3,2,1.

This is a great idea. I'm going to have my girls try this trick!
By season
On Wed Dec 23, 2009 01:47 PM
Just use your core and your spot. To stop falling out of them, do a double, but stay up in passe& releve. doing that will help you eventually do triples, because you wont fall out of the correct position.
By T_Dance_Girl
On Mon Dec 28, 2009 04:18 PM
Thnks guys, I'm getting my triples way more often now, and soon 'll be able to do them easily. Thanks again- T.

ReplySendWatch