Forum: Arts / Religion

Angels, spirit guides...what do you believe?
By imadanseurPremium member
On Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:53 PM

I am interested in hearing Christian beliefs regarding the thought that some people believe they have a guardian angel with them at all times or a "spirit guide" that is a connection to God (or Source whatever you want to call it.) Obviously other people are more than welcome to give me thier thoughts I have just found Christians to be the ones that are the most outspoken about this topic.

My brother who is very conservative feels this is very New Age and most things spiritual are demonic in some way shape or form. He says angels are messengers in the bible and do not stick around for daily guidance. He also thinks that searching for spirits is contrary to all Christian teachings. I think having a relationship with God and Jesus Christ only enhances my spiritual studies that I have recently been exposed to.

Can't you be a Christian and still have believe in having a spiritual guide that helps you manifest your own destiny?

11 Replies to Angels, spirit guides...what do you believe?

re: Angels, spirit guides...what do you believe?
By glitterfairyPremium member
On Thu Jul 09, 2009 01:22 AM
Edited by glitterfairy (42646) on 2009-07-09 01:24:00
Yes you can - I know of several Christians who believe in spirit guides, one of which is even a professional clairvoyant! Theory goes that Jesus Christ is one of the 'Ascended Masters', and while your everyday person isn't really going to reach him in meditation, that's where the link is.
By Arakmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:27 AM
I don't see why not, as long as the spirit or angel does not eclipse one's communications with God.

Our world extends beyond our physical senses and I consider it irresponsible of us not to pay attention to the supernatural. We ignore these things in Western culture too often, and then regard them with fear then they come to our attention.

I'm Christian and I practice Reiki, which is channeling divine energy through my hands and using it to help the well-being of others. This scares a lot of conservative Christians and I tend to keep it to myself in that company, but still I know plenty of other Christians who either practice also or have no problem with it.

I've also been visited by the spirit of my grandmother on more than one occasion. AND I can see auras. So there.
By sat
On Fri Jul 10, 2009 09:50 AM
The creator of universe gave the freedom to decide/choose which led to karma or simply as you sow so shall you reap.It is a belief that the so-called invisible good messenger(angel) sits on our right shoulder and the bad one on the left.Every person has an inner conscience and these so-called messengers try to outweigh each other when a decision has to be made,but ultimately it is the call of the human himself.Some people say that god is within ourself,and we don't really need to look too far or seek a messenger to maintain a connection with him.God forms all the good part in us or is a reflection of all the good deeds we do.As for me,a guardian angel or spirit guide is in essence my sixth sense,my gut feeling or decision based upon instinct...something like a good sense that prevails before any decision.I could also call that angel as someone who shapes our fate or destiny.

I would like to believe in guardian angel rather a spirit guide.For me,spirits are souls (without physical shape or form) that have a transit visa and are waiting in the so-called waiting lounge between life and death.Or they are souls that did not rest in peace,haunted,departed untimely before settling some
unfinished business.So apart from those noble or holy spirits in heaven,I would like to think of the word spirit as being inclined to be supernatural but for the wrong reasons according to norm of life and death. So with good deeds or meditation,one could say that the guardian angel reports those deeds or establishes a connection to god,which in turn increases the blessings which reduce the total tally of previous sins.This could shape our destiny for the better,as the impact of future bad things waiting to happen (due to karma) would be reduced or eliminated, and good things/events could happen on the contrary.
By harajuku_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jul 10, 2009 01:17 PM
i'm not a christian, but i definitely believe that each and every human being has their own personal spirit guides who come in this life with us to help and support us. i definitely think you can label yourself as a christian and believe whatever you want about spirit guides :)
By Arakmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jul 12, 2009 02:06 PM
"Label"? Beg pardon? Are you implying that Christians who acknowledge the presence of a spirit world are simply "labeling" themselves as Christians?
By balletsfriendmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jul 12, 2009 09:36 PM
Arak wrote:

"Label"? Beg pardon? Are you implying that Christians who acknowledge the presence of a spirit world are simply "labeling" themselves as Christians?

Kara, I think harajuku meant that you can be a Christian (that is, believer is the risen Christ) and also believe in these "spirit guides" and still be called a Christian. Does that make sense. I didn't take it as "Oh, I'm a Christian because I believe in spirit guides", but rather like, "I believe in Jesus, but I also believe in spirit guides."

I hope that makes sense.
By VelvetRagamuffinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jul 13, 2009 08:57 AM
As a Christian myself, I don't particularly believe in spirit guides or anything of the sort. From what I've gathered, angels appeared to people in the Bible before the Crucifixion, where Jesus bridged the gap between a righteous God and a sinful man. At that point, God became close to His creation enabling man to have constant contact with Him. As such, I don't see why a Christian would need to seek alternative "New Agey" spirits for guidance when they can go directly to the source.

Do I think it's sinful? Honestly, I'm not sure. More than anything else though, I just don't see the point. God Himself is full of mystery and wonder that I remain constantly fascinated by His works. I don't feel the need to branch out beyond orthodoxy I suppose.
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:53 PM
Here is a good link about angels in the Bible from the Christian perspective:

www.christiananswers.net . . .

I think it a great blessing to be guided or helped by an angel in a moment of need. The acts of angels in my own life have been along the line of miracles that showed up in the nick of time. However, I wouldn't look for a constant source of guidance from them, as there are good angels and bad ones (demons). If you walk with the Lord each and every day then He is guiding and helping you.

:)
By harajuku_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:38 PM
arak, i meant nothing offensive by that statement, and i'm sorry if you took it that way.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jul 14, 2009 07:04 PM
I also practice Reiki... and I have seen and experienced a few things to know that spirit guides definately exist. Mine isn't human though... Mine is a dog of mine that passed away a few years ago, is that wierd?
By Lombard
On Wed Jul 15, 2009 05:59 AM
The concept that Angels are actual manifestations is imputed, yes. I don't know if you should call that idea New Age or attribute it to older religions / cults, but from what I remember about the word that "angels" stems from, they're not supposed to be seen as "messengers", but the message itself, which would reveal itself.

ReplySendWatch