Popular Teachers

Hip hop for 3 yos?! by Dncteacher7
Ok so I work at a preschool where I normally teach creative movement to all the students in the...

Forum: Ask a Teacher

Ask a Teacher
What do you teach in your beginner Pointe Classes? en>fr fr>en
By DiamondDancerH11 Comments: 1977, member since Sat Oct 04, 2003
On Sun Jul 12, 2009 03:47 PM

I am teaching pre-pointe this fall for beginners and I was wondering what everyone teaches in their classes? The class is Ballet/Pointe and is an hour and 45 min. Thanks!

11 Replies to What do you teach in your beginner Pointe Classes?

re: What do you teach in your beginner Pointe Classes? en>fr fr>en
By tutujazzy Comments: 666, member since Fri Nov 16, 2007
On Sun Jul 12, 2009 05:27 PM
Pre-pointe means before before en full pointe, so is this on demi-pointe or full pointe?
By DiamondDancerH11 Comments: 1977, member since Sat Oct 04, 2003
On Sun Jul 12, 2009 08:55 PM
One is pre-pointe and one is full pointe. Sorry my wording was a bit confusing! I should have stated they were seperate classes.
By tutujazzy Comments: 666, member since Fri Nov 16, 2007
On Mon Jul 13, 2009 09:01 AM
Pre-pointe: lots of foot articulation, releve's parallel and turned out, forced arches, battement tendu and glisse, exercises with a thera band, learning everything you would do en pointe just in the demi pointe.

Pointe: again lots of foot articulation, spend alot of time learning how to roll through, battement tendu and glisse, releve, sousous. Eventually they learn to walk en pointe, bourre, pique to sousous.
By liv2dnz Comments: 377, member since Tue Jul 07, 2009
On Mon Jul 13, 2009 09:14 AM
When it's a pre-pointe class I also like to add one foot balances (coupe, retire, passe)
For beginning point I start off facing the barre with two hands, for more stability. Lots of releves, roll downs, and piques.Eventually bourres coupes,retires, and passes at the barre to prepare for pirrouettes.
Hope this helps.
By liv2dnz Comments: 377, member since Tue Jul 07, 2009
On Mon Jul 13, 2009 02:30 PM
I found this on you tube just by accident and it might be a video you might want to purchase!
www.youtube.com . . .
By taps2much Comments: 442, member since Mon Oct 22, 2007
On Mon Jul 13, 2009 08:00 PM
beginner pointe: my first class is spent going through how to properly warm up your feet and ankles (foot articulation, theraband exercises, tendus and releves) then it's a how to tie session where I show them with mine and walk them through tying theirs. Now to the barre: we work on plies (a little funky at first with the new shoes), tendus, degages and ronde de jambs a terre. then facing the barre we step up parallel en pointe right foot then left foot and slowly rolling down. After a few of these we move onto releves and eleves in parallel facing the barre very slow! After this is done we practice walking and "running" in pointe shoes without sounding like elephants. we then take them off and discuss care and maintennance of the shoe and feet (allowing air-out time, not practicing outside of class, not letting your friends try them on at a sleepover, etc...)reverence and we are finished

if you want more info on how my class progresses please PM me and i will be more than happy to give you more information.
By eloisefigmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1015, member since Sat Feb 14, 2004
On Mon Jul 13, 2009 08:38 PM
of course we talk about tying shoes which i check the first couple of classes
plies, lots of rises in parallel, 1st,2nd, 5th
plie roll ups talking about ankle position over the toes to be on your highest demi pointe
tendus working through the shoes
rises on one foot with the other in coupee devant, then derrier
releve to sousous 5th with balancing
echappes 2 and 4 counts(later adding echappe to fourth)
releve retire devant and derrier with toe taking the place of the heel(this one takes a while and i have to go around for each one and put my foot next to their toes and watch them snatch the toes underneath)
releve retire devant with balance for 8 counts, repeat lots
combinations of all above steps
pas de bouree pique
coupe fouette racourse(sp?)
pose piques to 5th facing barre, sideways to barre
to retire facing barre, sideways to barre
bourees parallel facing barre, turn out to first, cross to 5th, then traveling along barre
3/4 pirouettes from left hand on the barre to facing the barre

center: releves in 5th,
echappes,
pas de bouree piques,
bourees,
pose pique to 5th en avant(sp),
retire devant with 1/4 turn progressing to 1/2, then 1.
i only let those getting the quarters move to halfs. its quite the motivator
my pointe class follows this same format depending on the class ill add in harder things like releve retire devant from 4th, then pirouettes from 4th if their ones from 5th are ok.
at first i dont obviously fit in all this as there is alot of explanation. as the year progresses we add more.
ill also do alot of stretching as they dont get alot of that in their technique class.
pm me for more info
By Chepyl Comments: 2344, member since Mon May 03, 2004
On Tue Jul 14, 2009 08:43 AM
Edited by Chepyl (92442) on 2009-07-14 08:43:58
Pre-Pointe:
Lots of foot strengthening
I throw in a lot of non-dance activities:
*Have them bring a small/hand towel to class everyweek, lay them out flat on the floor and then use their toes to wad the towel up under their foot
*Pick up marbles, their towel, and other objects with their toes.
For fun you can have marbles and cups, have them race to see who can put the most marbles in their cup.
*With your foot flat on the floor, try to spread your toes out and pull them back together (like you can do with your hands - jazz hands to blades) you want to keep your toes straight and not grip the floor. When done correctly you can feel your intrinsic muscles (in your instep) working.

For actual dance excercises:
Forced arches
Slow tendus, rolling through their feet: brush out to demi pointe, lift to full pointe, back to demi, pointe, demi, pointe, demi, and close
Lots of 1 foot balances after barre excercises, or balance with change: sous-sous, lift outside leg to passes, extend to arabasque - all on releve without touching the barre
Lots of releves
Echappe
Frappe
Jete
Glissade (slow) - Plie, degage side, switch feet and hold side degage position, close to 5th plie, straighten leg (do across floor)
Pique
Arabeque pulls (face wall, lift to arabesque, plies, pull up into releve and slide back - like pulling into sous-sous rather than releve)
Changement
Entre Chat Quatre
By Dream_chaserPremium member Comments: 25538, member since Thu Jul 26, 2001
On Tue Jul 14, 2009 09:39 AM
One exercise that I used a lot (all of the above is good) over and over was, in all positions, including parallel, quarter elevé, half elevé, three-quarter elevé to full pointe and reverse.

I find that too many just rise up without rolling properly through the foot so we will do this A LOT in class.
By taps2much Comments: 442, member since Mon Oct 22, 2007
On Tue Jul 14, 2009 04:05 PM
JLL that is my favorite exercise!!!
By Triskitmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 5126, member since Mon Jul 22, 2002
On Tue Jul 14, 2009 04:23 PM
^ I totally agree with JLL. This is a great exercise and helps to develop foot control and strength. I'm careful though in first yr students not to go to slowly going up though, as when they're feet are not really strong yet, this can cause a lot of tension and strain on the achilles tendon.

Going down slowly is great for a even very beginning students.

A simple exercise I love is stepping up to pointe in parallel and rolling down slowly through the feet from full pointe, 3/4, 1/2 to flat. This not only helps to strengthen the feet, it helps with alignment on pointe. Because the dancer is placing the foot you can really drill them being perfectly straight. It's easier for them to feel and notice if they are rolling in or out and allows them to really find where to place their weight sur le pointe.

Releves in 1st, a small 2nd and 5th are good. I hold off on Echappes releves at first until I know their placement is secure. (This depends on the kids - some are ready right away)

Having them just walk around the room gracefully is a good exercise because it's such a different feeling trying to walk in pointe shoes. It's important that the kids get the feel for how to move and not look awkward. Walking on demi-pointe is also useful for getting accustomed to the shoe and for strengthening the feet and ankles.

After a few months I start introducing them to being on one foot. So I might have them releve 5th, then retire the front foot, and place it back in front. Staying on pointe, then pick up the back leg etc.

ReplySendWatch