Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Beginners

I want to take jazz...really badly!!!
By dancer_est99
On Fri Jul 17, 2009 09:45 AM

I'm 13 and I really want to pick up jazz again. There are only a few jazz classes at my studio that don't have my age group and my level. Should I go to the beginner class with 9-12 year olds or the advanced class with 12 and up? I took jazz when I was 9 and it was too time consuming. Since then, my parents have let me try it again. Anything helps!!

5 Replies to I want to take jazz...really badly!!!

re: I want to take jazz...really badly!!!
By bubble_dancer34
On Fri Jul 17, 2009 04:57 PM
What I would do - and this is just me - ask the jazz teacher at your studio what would be best for you! If you are a fast learner, and are ready to be one of the "slower" dancers in the class, take the advanced class. If you want to catch-up and regain your "jazz feet" in a more relaxed environment, take the 9-12 class. No matter what you do, I assure you - you'll have oodles of fun :)
By slice
On Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:17 AM
Most studios let you try a class for free or at least sit in on one and see what it's like. So watch both classes and determine which one might fit you best. There might not be too much difference between the "beginner" and "advanced" other than different age groups. On the other hand the beginner and advanced classes might be a world apart. I understand not wanting to be the oldest in a beginner class, but it would be worse to be struggling to keep up in a class that's way too hard.

And is there not an intermediate class perhaps that you could take? It just seems odd that the studio would go straight from beginner to advanced.
By jorrdanlewissmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jul 30, 2009 01:21 PM
I agree with the above posters and also depending on how long you danced before and how well you felt you did should also help you decide if you only danced for one year beforehand it would probally be beneficial to go to the 9-12 so you can get a better grasp of everything.
By DigitalDancer
On Sat Aug 01, 2009 06:29 PM
See if you can do a drop-in class. They have it at many studios these days. It's just one class for a minimal fee (at my studio it's $15). Try both or just one to see which one fits with your dance experience and current needs. Make sure it's not too easy of a class or else you can get easily bored, but don't chose a class so hard that you can't complete any of the steps or you can get easily frustrated. I started jazz at the same age and I love it! Good luck!
By danceaholic_xoxo
On Tue Aug 18, 2009 02:30 PM
Try a placement class and just see how it goes from there :]

ReplySendWatch