Forum: General / Hip Hop / Hip Hop

First year if hip hop. What to expect?
By Dancer4ever43097
On Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:55 AM
Bumped by Theresa (28613) on 2009-10-04 10:48:31

This is my first year of hip hop and I am 12 I had options to do when i was 9 but didn't do it. I am top of my class.. I just don't know what to expect.

5 Replies to First year if hip hop. What to expect?

re: First year if hip hop. What to expect?
By T_Dance_Girl
On Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:21 PM
I started when I was 11. We did alot of freestyle stuff, so be prepared to have people watching you for a while. Also lots of across the floor and routines. Remember to bend (legs and back.) because I took ballet tap and jazz at the time and it was hard to get into not standing strait. Have fun. That's what dance is about and it was my favorite class this past year and the one before that so you might likie it too. Just enjoy yourself, this class is just meant for you to show what you can do, learn new skills, and have a great time.
By bubble_dancer34
On Sat Jul 18, 2009 09:52 PM
Prepare for lots of fun, and a more relaxed class than ballet or even jazz. You'll freestyle a lot and probably dance to more modern music. It's totally fun. Good luck!
By BgirlDoesBallet
On Tue Jul 21, 2009 06:38 PM
I started when I was 13 and it was my first style of dance. As for what to expect, it depends on your teacher.

My usual hip hop teacher starts off class with jumping jacks, push ups, crunches, isolations, and stretching. Sometimes we do mats (rolls, handstands, headstands, freezes, etc). Other times we just go straight into choreography. My teacher likes to expose us to all different styles of hip hop so we might have one routine that's typical "studio hip hop", one that's mostly locking, and another that's inspired by bboying- other teachers might just teach one style. A lot of times, at the end of class, we'll take turns free-styling in the middle.

Last summer, my teacher had to take a month off so we had a sub. This teacher took a much more jazz-like approach to it. We did very simple warm ups (a few jumping jacks, some isolations, a little stretching) and then did across the floor- a concept that was completely new to me at the time. In her class, we didn't do any popping, locking, or bboying- just plain "studio hip hop" (it was actually more like jazz choreography done to mainstream "hip hop" music if you ask me).

So yeah, those are just two possible examples of how your teacher may run class. Your best bet would be to watch a class or two to know what you truly should be expecting. Either way, I'm sure you'll have lots of fun. Good luck!
By tappingangel
On Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:10 PM
^^ That's a really great explanation.

I teach hip-hop all the time, and until I started teaching full-time in a studio, and had a jazz teacher there that also taught hip-hop, I had never, ever seen across-the-floor done in a hip-hop class. I took some in the studio, but have also trained with street dancers, so my approach is to teach each style as well. Many studio hip-hop instuctors only know the "studio hip-hop" style..which is like jazz dance put to mainstream radio music.

Wear comfy clothes, wear TENNIS SHOES. I recommend you buy a pair that are solely for your studio class, that way your owner doesn't get angry at the dirt on the floor (even if you can't see it, it's still there!!) DO NOT WEAR JEANS. It is dangerous when doing certain things at first in hip-hop, especially when you're breaking, and it will definitely hinder your moves.

Relax, have fun. Hip-hop is a great class, and you'll definitely enjoy it. Don't get discouraged doing one thing; you'll be great at another. And don't be afraid to try new things!! That's what hip-hop is all about.

Oooo, and when it's time for freestyling...don't be afraid to go out there. Let go, and just dance, without thinking about what is coming out. It's a great release, and freestyling is a very important part of hip-hop.

Good luck and have fun!!!!!!!
By T_Dance_Girl
On Thu Jul 23, 2009 01:14 PM
It can also vary in differnet places, but it's a great time to learn. I had 2 gip hop teachers and the first one just taught only the studio hip hop and the next one taught all different styles and either way you learn and have fun. Just wear comfortable clothes no jeans, our teacher would get mad if you wore them, and they make it hard to do some things.

ReplySendWatch