Forum: General / Jazz / Lyrical

Contemporary Dance
By UniquelyMee
On Fri Jul 17, 2009 09:30 PM

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to learn more about Contemporary Dance.
Does it fall between lyrical and modern dance?
Is it many dances forms mixed togther?
Any information about this dance form is truely appreciated.

Thankyou all for you answers. Thankyou sooo much^_^

8 Replies to Contemporary Dance

re: Contemporary Dance
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:19 AM
When we get into labeling Lyrical, Modern, and Contemporary, everything gets a little muddled. I consider Contemporary "Mainstream Modern." Modern is a great movement meant so expand and push the classifications of dance, and lyrical and contemporary (If they truly are different things) are just a balance of what is traditional and what is new. It's a mellow-modern for mainstream uses. At least, that's how I classify them. Classifications can get really tricky though. This could be an interesting thread.
re: Contemporary Dance (karma: 1)
By dancingrl247
On Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:12 PM
I think it really depends on who's teaching it, what part of the country you're in, a million other things. For example, what's classified as "contemporary" on So You Think You Can Dance is what I would consider lyrical, just because that's what we called it at my studio. I consider modern as the type of dance that's done in modern companies which is way less free flowing and more structured, which has a very specific technique to it.

what i would consider contemporary: www.youtube.com . . .
On Sun Jul 19, 2009 09:43 AM
I forgot to say: If you REALLY want to learn about your art form: You have to go back further. Contemporary and Lyrical as terms are (in the scheme of things) brand spanking new. You've got to study ballet and the major modern leaders to understand why contemporary/lyrical even exist and why they have the movement and feel that they do. So, for now, start with ballet and modern. It's still DIRECTLY related to your art.
By UniquelyMee
On Mon Jul 20, 2009 06:49 AM
Edited by UniquelyMee (214139) on 2009-07-20 06:50:14
Here are a few Dances from so you think you can Dance that i believe are contemporary

www.youtube.com . . .

I LOVE this Dance( as well as music). Amazing Dancers and Choreography

And this one

www.youtube.com . . .

Once again Love theis Dance!!( as well as music) Amazing Dancers and Choreography

These are from "So you think you can Dance"

I know its Contemporary but what is incorporated in it. Is it modern, lyrical and maybe some type of jazz in either one of them?
By UniquelyMee
On Mon Jul 20, 2009 06:53 AM
Thankyou soo much for your answer its really appreciated. I added more information to the question but as a reply. i think if i showed you more info that wouldve been good, so i did!So you can take a look at it. THis time i think i was more specific!Once again thankyou!
By UniquelyMee
On Mon Jul 20, 2009 06:56 AM
Thankyou so much for you answer. I really appreciate it! I added more information to the question to be more specific this time. So you can look at it if you want. One again thankyou!
On Mon Jul 20, 2009 08:47 AM
Those definately fall into a Modern base.

And don't make the mistake of Idolizing So You Think You Can Dance. It's a good show, great dancers, and good choreographers, but it's not quite as pioneering as mainstream audiences think. It's not as progressive as art as I would prefer--it kind of hangs back as to not introduce something too new for the public.
By dancingrl247
On Mon Jul 20, 2009 09:17 AM
Edited by dancingrl247 (74633) on 2009-07-20 09:23:17 left out part of answer
^^ that's true I guess, but there are still great examples of contemporary dance on there, which was what the original poster was asking about. just because it's not pushing boundaries as much as you would like doesn't mean the dancing's not good

I think Jeanine and Jason's dance is more lyrical. In fact, I feel like that's what it would be entered under in a competition.

Kayla and Kupono's is probably more modern. Again, that's a dance I really feel is contemporary because it's a mix of modern and lyrical movements plus jazz and ballet techniques. It's like you can't really classify it in one or the other so you call it contemporary.

ReplySendWatch