Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Beginners

New classes in Fall - how to make students excited about your class?
By sanddancer
On Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:45 PM

Need some inspiration to make my new fall classes fun and interesting so students get excited about them? What do you do in your first few classes? Most of my classes this year are for Beginners/Intermediate Beginners.

6 Replies to New classes in Fall - how to make students excited about your class?

re: New classes in Fall - how to make students excited about your class?
By zebraobsession
On Mon Jul 20, 2009 01:09 PM
Hmm...I would teach a really fun upbeat combo, or, depending on if its' more of a contemporary or lyrical jazz class, a really cool contemporary dance to an awesome song. Using popular songs should help the girls get excited, too, since it's probably a song they already like... I would just not place too much emphasis on strictness or perfect technique the first while if it's beginners, otherwise they might get frustrated.
By ashleythedancer
On Mon Jul 20, 2009 08:56 PM
^ I agree with the above poster.

Use fun, popular songs. Or, even let the kids vote on which song to use! Do some high-energy, exciting combinations to get them pumped!
By DigitalDancer
On Sat Aug 01, 2009 06:35 PM
I agree with the above comments. Also see if you can find steps used in popular movies and musicals. I know everyone at my studio loves it when they can say they know the dance from so-and-so or they know some awesome moves to that number 1 song. Most of all just have fun with your students and make them feel good to be dancing. When I have a great class it totally makes my day and keeps me coming back for more.
By kiltlover
On Wed Sep 16, 2009 01:35 PM
At my daughters first tap class this year they danced to ABBA - fun and upbeat.
By kiltlover
On Wed Sep 16, 2009 01:36 PM
At my daughters first tap class this year they danced to ABBA - fun and upbeat.
By danceforever9
On Sun Sep 27, 2009 08:49 PM
Music is KEY! Use popular music. It is always fun to dance to something you listen to daily. I love going into my jazz class when my teacher puts on the "in" music

ReplySendWatch