Forum: General / Jazz / Lyrical

Help with my arms and hands!
By Dancing_cutie05member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:57 PM

Hi!
When I dance, my arms look a little sloppy, and my hands look weird, like stiff. I try to work on it but the problem is still there. I know that ballet would be the best thing to correct that problem, but I'm in college now and I can't afford to take ballet classes now :( I stared dancing late and I could get the flexibility and leaps and all that, but I have a hard time with my arms and hands, and they kind of ruin the dance.Are there any exercises I could do to improve the fluidity of my arms and hands?

6 Replies to Help with my arms and hands!

re: Help with my arms and hands!
By dancegirl300member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jul 19, 2009 01:31 PM
well first you need to work on arm strength. Holding up those arms can get pretty hard. Next step is to go to youtube and watch different dance styles. Then pick the style you want to learn with your arms. These are tips for different styles.
Ballet- make sure you don't have chicken arms You also want to have your arms rounded.
Jazz- unless told make your arms sharp on their positions. Also you want to make sure you KNOW where they go.
Lyrical- this one is a hard one just flow with the music
Tap- usually are flexed by your sides or behind your back unless told.
Hip hop- this one you have to LEARN the arm poistions then add the funk
On Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:59 AM
Thank!My problem is more with lyrical and contemporary.I just wish that the flow my arms and hands more natural and effortless.I guess it just takes time.
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:15 PM
Clock some major major mirror time. All you have to have is awareness. Most people, just walking around every day, have VERY little awareness of their body. It's taken very much for granted. Dancers, though, must be HYPERaware of everything. The best way to do that is to park yourself in front of a mirror and move your arms. You might feel crazy, but watching what it looks like while you feel the way your muscles are moving is SO beneficial. Choreograph an "arm dance" to one of your favorite songs. Do as much as you can. Circles, bends, flowy, sharp, take a look at dances to see what you can do by JUST sitting on your tush and moving your arms. Then do that twice a day in your bathroom.
By andr3a
On Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:17 AM
Remember that your arms start to move form your back. It's not enough to lift your arm to second. The movement has to initiate from the right muscles and the energy has to continue past the end of your finger tips.

Comment #8397197 deleted
Removed by imadanseur (79325) on 2009-07-22 13:49:00 actually this is not exactly true.

On Thu Jul 23, 2009 02:48 PM
Thanks!What an excellent idea, I will do that! I've been taking time to work on my arms and hands lately when I do my dances, and I noticed some improvement. Sometimes we just focus too much on technique, like leaps and turns and kicks, and we forget about the arm movement which are a big part of the dance. Sloppy arms make the dance look sloppy.

ReplySendWatch