Forum: General / Hip Hop / Breaking

Breaking
Am I the only one.......
By tappingangel Comments: 908, member since Sun Apr 27, 2003
On Tue Jul 21, 2009 02:10 AM

Okay..just out of curiosity, am I the only b-girl around here anymore?

I mean..old-school, genuine, "I learned my stuff from other street dancers" b-girl, that didn't start in a studio?

Shout out to the street dancers. ;]

11 Replies to Am I the only one.......

re: Am I the only one.......
By BgirlDoesBallet Comments: 598, member since Sun May 31, 2009
On Tue Jul 21, 2009 05:53 PM
Well I'm a bgirl but not the type you're looking for- most of what I know I've either learned in a class, at a workshop, or online (bboy.org is a great site although it seemed to give my computer a lot of viruses so unfortunately, I've had to stop using it). In my defense, there are no "streets" in my area haha.
On Tue Jul 21, 2009 06:13 PM
Haha awww. I can't really talk much...I may have LEARNED on the streets, and still dance on the streets sometimes, but I have taught in a few studios...lol.
By nihondancer Comments: 4, member since Sat Jul 25, 2009
On Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:38 PM
I kinda am, but not exactly. I've never taken a breaking class, but I was in a dance circle during my study abroad in Japan and what I know I learned from the people who are in the circle. I have a long way to go before I get any better and I would love to find actual b-boys and b-girls to learn from, but my hometown (which I'll be returning to in a few weeks) is too conservative and doesn't have any real breakers (unless I just haven't found them yet.) So here's a question for you: do know of a way to learn new stuff without having an experienced breaker around? Internet and dvds maybe?
By ms_tiffy Comments: 304, member since Thu Jul 05, 2007
On Sun Jul 26, 2009 01:22 PM
i have always been a freestyle girl, but now i have gotten into breaking. i wouldn't consider myself a b-girl yet (i have a few more things that need to be perfected), but i learn from friends and watching youtube personally.

there are no classes offered in my area that are really authentic hip hop, just studio crap. that's why i make sure i teach my classes hip hop dance, not jazz.
By nihondancer Comments: 4, member since Sat Jul 25, 2009
On Sun Jul 26, 2009 06:48 PM
So you teach dance? Cool! I taught at the YMCA for a year; ballet and tap to little ones, and hip-hop to adults and middle schoolers, but it wasn't real hip-hop; more like jazz hip-hop. And thanks for the advice. Guess I'll just watch lots of videos and fall on my face a lot and get right back up! Because you've never really danced until you've fallen on your face or butt; right? lol
By spotmanhhds Comments: 4, member since Mon Jun 22, 2009
On Sun Jul 26, 2009 08:07 PM
New site for old school and new school is HipHopDanceSpot.com

No viruses.
By ms_tiffy Comments: 304, member since Thu Jul 05, 2007
On Mon Jul 27, 2009 04:41 PM
nihondancer wrote:

So you teach dance? Cool! I taught at the YMCA for a year; ballet and tap to little ones, and hip-hop to adults and middle schoolers, but it wasn't real hip-hop; more like jazz hip-hop. And thanks for the advice. Guess I'll just watch lots of videos and fall on my face a lot and get right back up! Because you've never really danced until you've fallen on your face or butt; right? lol

lol! exactly! and i have fallen on my face and butt so many times there is an imprint of my face in the floor! lol!
On Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:14 PM
Haha. Falling is how you learn!! Youtube does have alot of great videos up, and you can find tutorials and stuff around. I wouldn't rely too much on dvds, unless you find some authentic hip-hop ones somewhere that have a breaking/b-boy section. I hope you do find some b-boys and b-girls in your area!!

I make sure to keep hip-hop true to its form as well. Jazz is jazz; hip-hop is hip-hop. There's a whole different technique involved, and I wish people would start realizing that haha.
By DancerbyGodmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1178, member since Sun Nov 20, 2005
On Sat Sep 26, 2009 04:57 PM
Unfortunately, I teach breakdance in the studios as well too. But lately, it seems that some studios don't "allow" it because of insurance reasons? hmmm....interesting.

DbG
By DancerbyGodmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1178, member since Sun Nov 20, 2005
On Sat Sep 26, 2009 06:47 PM
Unfortunately, I teach breakdance in the studios as well too. But lately, it seems that some studios don't "allow" it because of insurance reasons? hmmm....interesting.

DbG
By Keitsumember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 100, member since Tue Jan 04, 2005
On Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:31 PM
True that, there was once upon a time I taught at a studio and even so they too were worried if any injury was to occur. It's hard to even land a job teaching bboying/bgirling without studios having a fuss. Theres no real credentials for teaching it and they solely have to go by trusting you that you know what you're doing and teaching.

ReplySendWatch