Priority Slow Dance

Forum: Ask a Teacher

Ask a Teacher
HELP! need to make a sample dance lesson plan for preschool between the ages of 2-5 yrs en>fr fr>en
By dgmeghan Comments: 8, member since Wed Jul 22, 2009
On Wed Jul 22, 2009 09:20 PM

Hi all,
I have a job interview to be either a ballet teacher or ballet teacher assitant at the local community center. I have been asked to prepare a a sample dance lesson plan for preschool between the ages of 2-5 yrs. I would greatly appreciate it anyone could help me with making the lesson plan.
Thank you very much

9 Replies to HELP! need to make a sample dance lesson plan for preschool between the ages of 2-5 yrs

re: HELP! need to make a sample dance lesson plan for preschool between the ages of 2-5 yrs en>fr fr>en
By fountainarts Comments: 4118, member since Thu Jun 17, 2004
On Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:31 PM
There is a big difference between a 2 year old and their abilities, age appropriate movements and a 5 year old. Is this the age range that you would be teaching all in one class?

I do a 3-5 class, but tend to stick my 5 year olds in a seperate class because they can do so much more than most of my 3's.

As far as lesson plans, keep it simple, keep changing activities, overplan, use props, use stories to act out with movement, have fun, smile, be silly.

I typically do:
greeting dance
warm up
center dances,
across the floor dance
combinations
end activity - like freeze dance

Hope that helps some.
re: HELP! need to make a sample dance lesson plan for preschool between the ages of 2-5 yrs en>fr fr>en
By dancesavedmylife Comments: 24, member since Sun Jul 12, 2009
On Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:17 PM
I taught dance for 3 years and with my little ones we had a 45 minute class and it was broken down like this:

Attendance:
Stretch and warm up: (normally we would do creative actives involving animal noises on a cd and the kids would act like the animal, we also did basic first position and very simple ballet actives, and some days we did a big girl warm up (generally we only had girls in these classes))
Across the floor: we used bean bags that were different vegetables and they loves that
Drink break:
Then we would begin their dance and practice combos and another drink break during this time
at the end of class we gave stickers and then dimissed class

It worked really well for our kids and they enjoyed the different dance related actities
On Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:10 PM
Thank a lot for your answer.
My issue is i've never taught/assisted this age group so i am not sure what things they should be doing exactly at the center, bar, or across the room.
By dancesavedmylife Comments: 24, member since Sun Jul 12, 2009
On Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:16 PM
Center: you can teach them how to prep for a pirouette, break it completely down, we use the out, back, up and have them hold it as long as they can. We did do extensions, more difficult for this age group but our kids loved trying the things the older classes got to do, we only do them every once in a while. Any jumps or movements that don't travel much in your dance are a great way to isolate them prior to showing them in the dance for this age, to really help the students to understand the movements.

Barre: Pliés, first, second, fourth and fifth, no many they lose their attention, battements, tondu, ronde de jambas, really anything that you would do in a class you are taking can be done, it just needs to be simplified, although some movements need not to be done or attempted when the students are that young.

Across the floor: brush leaps and developé leaps are great when they have something to leap over. do Chaînés with them holding hula hoops or beach balls so their arms are in correct placement is great! have them act like a frog and frog jump over a bean bag, crazy walks - where they can do whatever they want and try whatever they want.

Hopefully these give you some ideas! Let us know how it goes!
By Triskitmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 5126, member since Mon Jul 22, 2002
On Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:33 AM
Actually, you should do anything with them at the barre. At this age it's totally unnecessary. Children in this age range are still developing their basic motor skills, they have very little body awareness and control. You shouldn't be giving them actual ballet technique, theory, etc. Getting around 5 yrs old you can begin introducing some ballet vocabulary on a very basic level.

At this age the emphasis should be on the joy of movement, musicality and helping them develop and strengthen gross motor skills.
By buffercheenPremium member Comments: 60, member since Sun Nov 06, 2005
On Sun Jul 26, 2009 04:15 AM
I am going to be teaching a group, 4-7 year olds soon and my concern is the mixture of information I have been given for the different abilities of the age groups....the 4/5 year olds will be les able to concentrate for great periods of time and will need far more 'entertaining' than the older age group who are likely to be more focussed.
I really worry about the balance as I don't want to underteach ballet to the older children whilst I don't want to 'care' the younger ones with too much technique.
I would really love to hear from anyone with practical experience of this here!!!
Thanks!
By i_am_me Comments: 6306, member since Thu Sep 25, 2008
On Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:21 AM
Triskit wrote:

Actually, you should do anything with them at the barre. At this age it's totally unnecessary. Children in this age range are still developing their basic motor skills, they have very little body awareness and control. You shouldn't be giving them actual ballet technique, theory, etc. Getting around 5 yrs old you can begin introducing some ballet vocabulary on a very basic level.

At this age the emphasis should be on the joy of movement, musicality and helping them develop and strengthen gross motor skills.

Yup.

And a 2 year old should be in a Parent & Me class unless they are at least 2.5 and can separate from mom.

Keep everything in the center and moving across the floor.
By vista5Premium member Comments: 1150, member since Mon May 07, 2007
On Sun Jul 26, 2009 02:38 PM
Rhetorical question... How old are you? I'm in my 50s and have taught little ones for a looong tiiiime! One thing I would say is that there are lots of things I can say and do now that would not have worked at all when I was 20. Why? 'Cause I look like their grandma! My age alone commands a lot of respect form these children. Okay, all that aside.

Here is the gist of it:

I don't have them wait in the hall for me, but have them come in before I start class. Early on I start teaching them what to do while they wait: No running around, pretend to be butterflies, walk on the tightrope...you get the idea. Of course I have to give reminders every week, but that's okay, part of the process.

When it is time to start class we (almost) always start in a circle. I have a lot of different fun ways to lead stretches - sometimes sitting and sometimes standing. Depending on the mood of the class and what the activity is I incorporate some
sharing time before, or during this activity. Skills that we work on during this circle time are listening and following directions, taking turns, sitting and standing gracefully, balancing, stretching, and surprise - public speaking!

Next, I incorporate a little bit of center floor. This section is mainly to get them ready for performance. Depending on the number of children, they learn to make "one straight line" or two or three. They are taught to space themselves by putting their arms in second and not touching anyone else (personal space). They have to figure out where there is a lot of room and move that way so they don't touch. At first I have to move them around, but pretty soon they get it. Depending on age I sometimes have them count how many dancers there are and decide how many should be in each row. Here we learn our five foot positions and practice very watered down versions of tendu, glissade, releve, echappe, retire. We do quarter turn hops (yikes!) with claps or bounces. Lots of theme and variation on all of these things. I often incorporate a prop like crowns, wands, or scarves. I talk a lot about right and left, but don't expect them to get it at this age.

Sometimes we go back to circle and everyone gets a turn to do something like go in the center and "be the star" or gallop around the outside of the circle. Sometimes we do something sitting down like pretend to blow up balloons to learn arm positions. WE might do another activity using a prop - beanbag, ball, hula hoop...

I almost always end by going across the floor. We will do a circus parade or floating clouds, or gallops with partners. Whatever it is I make sure everyone is having fun, fun, fun! The last memory of dance class has to be what a good time it is!

Well, almost last thing - we never leave without thanking each other. They soon know that the faster they can get back into their rows and doing their curtsy "thank you very much" the faster they will get their stickers. (for which they need to wait in line and say thank you)

I hope I didn't ramble too much. Good luck!
On Mon Jul 27, 2009 08:01 PM
wow, thank you soo much for your help!
I'm 17 years old. It's not a studio job it's just for a community center, so i was worried cause it's really completely me making up what they will be doing during the classes. There's no syllabus for me to follow ( I do RAD)so im grateful that you helped me!

ReplySendWatch