Forum: Advice / Cars & Driving

Excuse me sir, you are insane.
By SOADftwmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jul 23, 2009 09:38 PM

I was driving with my boyfriend the other day. A light at the intersection was flashing red so I did what I was supposed to do - treat it like a stop sign. We went through one more GREEN light and then stopped at a third light which was red. A car pulls up next to us and a man, mid forties, in a pitted out button up shirt with a flushed face leans out of his window and starts yelling at us. "HEY!! HEY!! ROLL DOWN YOUR WINDOW!" My boyfriend rolled down his window and the guy goes nuts. "You went through a red light! Why don't you f***** pay attention!? Hey, LADY, pay attention to what you're doing! You're so f****** stupid! You could have hurt someone! You could have hurt me!" This guy was just unloading. I thought he was going to have a heart attack he was yelling so forcefully. His veins in his neck were bulging, spit was flying everywhere, it was insane. I don't even know what to say, I'm kind of in shock, so my boyfriend goes "Sir you need to calm down. Nobody is hurt, just settle down." The guy just wouldn't stop yelling! I was honestly surprised he didn't get out of his car and try to punch me. The light turned green and I peeled out of there like it was nobody's business.

Has anyone else had anything like this happen? It was just so weird! I wonder what happened to that guy to make him do that to us.

10 Replies to Excuse me sir, you are insane.

re: Excuse me sir, you are insane.
By Meg_
On Thu Jul 23, 2009 09:51 PM
Some people have insane road rage.
Last week i was stopped at a red light, when this guy stopped behind me, got out of his car, walked up to the car beside me, and proceeded to yell at the woman in the car next to me, because she apparently didn't let him when he was trying to yield in, or something along those lines. She was just ignoring him with the window rolled up, and he was like hitting her window and yelling, it was crazy! I gunned it away when that light turned green, that guy scared me for sure.
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jul 24, 2009 08:28 AM
Did you see my thread titled "People are Ridiculous"?

Yeah, I'm appalled that psychotic people like that have control of a vehicle...it's frightening.
By pokomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jul 26, 2009 05:44 PM
I have actualy seen someone stop at a red light, get out, pull out a boxes of crockery (wtf?) from their boot, and throw the plates and cups at a car while yelling at someone.

People with road rage scare me. I'm an epic swearer when it comes to driving, but I'd never get physically violent.
By tumblebugPremium member
On Sun Jul 26, 2009 05:49 PM
I get major road rage but I've never gotten out of a car or physically violent over it...now my husband on the other hand....
By Sumayah
On Sun Jul 26, 2009 06:59 PM
I saw a guy get out at a light to yell at a car. But I think the most annoying and most tacky thing I've seen is the douche who used a car crayon to write on their rearview window something along the lines of: "If you are tailgating me, I drive the speed limit. If I see you tailgating I will drive slower. You should have left earlier so you wouldn't be late. If you don't like it, call the sheriffs dept @ xxx-xxxx."

I wasn't tailgating but just reading that in front of me pissed me off and I very nearly did call the sheriff's number to complain that the car was inciting and encouraging road rage. I mean really, in my opinion posting, something like that on the back of your car is just inviting someone to shoot you.
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jul 26, 2009 08:42 PM
^Yeah, and I bet that moron drives in the left lane of the highway just to try to piss people off. What an idiot...it pisses me off just thinking about it, haha.
By kandykanePremium member
On Sun Jul 26, 2009 09:31 PM
I had an incident this summer. I posted about it. Granted, I made a mistake, but come on! Honk and get over it. She followed me and ended up yelling at me and she had kids in her car.

People seriously need to calm down behind the wheel.

kk~
By Believemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jul 26, 2009 09:49 PM
My Mom had an incident a few years ago with this insane guy.

He was driving in front of her, a street away from where we were living, and he kept on randomly slamming on his brakes. So my Mom's like whatever, keeps driving. All of a sudden the dude speeds up, so my mom does too. Then he SLAMS on his brakes and my Mom just barely tapped his back bumper.

No damage on either vehicle, but the guy gets out if his car and starts screaming bloody murder at my mom. Mind you, the whole time this is going on I'm on the phone with my Mom, so I can hear this guy yelling at her. (She called me to tell me she was in an accident she WAS NOT on her cell while driving). So I guess he continues to scream at her, and when she refused to open her door or window, he starts kicking our car. So my Mom calls the cops, and they come down.

We found out later he was a teacher at one of our local schools, and was known for his bad temper. But seriously, people are such idiots!
By Katja144member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jul 29, 2009 09:33 PM
I was at a stoplight once when I noticed the guy in the car behind me yelling...looked like he was yelling at me. the light turned green and we went, then he got into another lane to pass me and I still saw him yelling.

I will never know what pissed him off...I'm pretty sure I didn't cut him off or anything. He was pretty mad though. Go figure.

Once in a parking lot I saw a couple cars get into an accident...this particular lot is a big one (shopping complex/strip mall) so there are rows of parking spaces, then down the middle an area for driving through the lot. Common sense (and, I believe, the law) tells a person that when pulling from a row of parking spaces into the driving area, that you stop before you pull out. Some idiot didn't, creamed a car in the driving area, then proceeded to get out and scream at this person, using the f word as much as possible.

If I'd had a gun or some way to protect myself (I'm not a very big person and he was pretty pissed so I wouldn't put it past him to get physical) I would've stepped over and pointed out that he was an idiot, to get pissed off when he was at fault...as it was I thought of sticking around to see if the police arrived so I could give them a statement as a witness (I wanted to stick it to this guy). The other reason I wanted to go over there (again, if I had a gun or some other means of self-protection) was that I felt bad for the person in the other car...if I were them I'd be scared of the guy, and I was scared for them (yeah, I've got a stupid protective instinct).

I mean, don't get me wrong--if I got in an accident that was due to someone else being stupid, I'd probably be doing a lot of yelling and swearing too. But I wouldn't be doing it if *I* were the one being stupid and it was MY fault! What an idiot. I hope the police did come (though my partner said that there aren't any traffic rules in a parking lot, which I don't believe) and I hope the guy got his heinie handed to him--even without a witness statement, it would've been pretty obvious what happened.
By odile53
On Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:08 AM
Although the temptation is great to tell people like this off, for your own safety, avoid responding to their displays of temper. Situations can escalate to violence very quickly, and some of these road rage freaks have been known to SHOOT other drivers!

As a point of information, road rage is listed as a form of psychopathology in the American Psychologic Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (version 4, revised.) So yes, these people are actually insane.

It rarely pays to argue with someone who is mentally unhinged. Please be careful. Do not respond verbally to them and do not give any gestures to them (such as "the finger," or other gestures that indicate annoyance.) Avoid eye contact with them, try to note license numbers, and get away as quickly as practical. If you notice you are being followed, drive to a well-lighted and active area, such as a hospital, a convenience store, an open gas station, or a police station. Do NOT, under any circumstances, drive home. And call the police at the first available and safe opportunity.

ReplySendWatch