Forum: Folk / Chinese Classical Dance

Chinese Classical Dance
This is probably a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway..
By irishgirl26member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 429, member since Sun Sep 07, 2008
On Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:31 AM

Do you have to be Chinese to do Chinese dancing? Do you have to know Chinese (the language ;))? It's so fascinating to watch. There's a studio near me that offers it, and I'd love to go to one of their workshops, but when I look in their gallery, I don't see one girl from a different descent. Or not that I can tell (no offense at all to anyone here). And some of the website is in Chinese--I've been using Google Translator, but still.. Any help is appriciated.

Thanks!

4 Replies to This is probably a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway..

re: This is probably a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway..
By Cosine Comments: 241, member since Sat Apr 26, 2008
On Thu Jul 30, 2009 08:33 PM
Actually, it's a good question...some of the dancers are Korean, but Korea ethnicity is one of the Chinese fifty-six.

www.youtube.com . . .

I danced Classical Chinese in China, but switched to ballet upon moving to the States. You're so lucky to have an opportunity to learn classical Chinese. By all means go to that class! We Chinese are very impressed by foreigners who study our culture well. Maybe in the class you'll also learn some Chinese.
By Sumayah Comments: 6875, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Thu Jul 30, 2009 08:44 PM
I've often wondered that myself. There's a studio near where I work that is strictly Classical Chinese and I've wondered if I could take class there but never pursued it. I might have to look into that! :D
By irishgirl26member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 429, member since Sun Sep 07, 2008
On Fri Jul 31, 2009 08:50 AM
^^That was a very nice video, thanks for sharing it, Cosine. One of my friends is actually Korean; he was adopted. It's nice to know that there's more than just one culture involved! :)

The studio I was looking at offers Chinese, ballet, and jazz, I think. I'm going to try to find out more about the place. They were offering workshops and camps, but the ones that I might have been able to go to are when I'll be on vacation. But I'll keep researching it.

Thanks for the support, guys! I'll keep you posted.
By Amaya_chan Comments: 11, member since Thu May 08, 2008
On Sat Aug 01, 2009 07:55 PM
Edited by Amaya_chan (195975) on 2009-08-01 19:55:51
I'm an Asian mix I don't look Asian at all and I am a Chinese Dancer, I believe there are one or two companies that have Non Chinese dancers part of their company such as Lily Cai and the Atlanta Chinese Dance Company (I,....think thats there name don't quote me on that) But to me I don't think it matters if you're Chinese or not unless you're trying to audition for a company in Beijing.

ReplySendWatch