Forum: General

Page:
Page 1 of 4: 1 2 3 4
Jazz Syllabus
By turtletoeshoe
On Thu Jul 30, 2009 02:29 PM

I am totally jumping on the "week before fall classes start and looking for help" bandwagon. And that is why I absolutely love this forum (even though I mostly stalk instead of post). I am teaching most of the jazz levels at my studio this year and am looking for help with organizing them.

I am looking for someone who either has a general jazz curriculum or is willing to make one with me. The things I am looking for include abilities that define each level (ie level 1 should be able to accomplish x,y,z), trick steps in a cohesive order of introduction (teach a first, then b, then c), and pretty much anything else you can think of.

I have been teahcing jazz for about 10 years now, and just last week (when I was pulling together ballet lesson plans) that I have NEVER been organized with a syllabus for jazz classes!

Thanks thanks thanks in advance

89 Replies to Jazz Syllabus

re: Jazz Syllabus
By andr3a
On Thu Jul 30, 2009 06:37 PM
How old are your students when they start jazz? How many hours a week are they dancing?
By turtletoeshoe
On Thu Jul 30, 2009 08:00 PM
They dont dance a lot, but are fairly advanced. they compete and have one competition prep class, 1 jazz class, 1-2 ballet classes and assorted tap, contemporary, musical theater, and tumbling. Which would give them anywhere between 6-10 hours/week. I only have them for jazz once a week for one hour each class.

My classes are aged: 9-12, 11-15, and 12-18 years old. They all have been dancing for numerous years and I would consider them recreational (they might beg to differ though). They are really lacking in stong basic technique which is what I have been working on with them for the end of last year (I just started teaching them in March), so that is what I am hoping to help them most with.
By DancerTonitePremium member
On Thu Jul 30, 2009 08:02 PM
Can I jump on the Jazz Syllabus bandwagon with you? My studio is not very organized in this area. Every year my SO says shes going to do this and doesn't. I would love to have something to work with.
re: Jazz Syllabus (karma: 1)
By vista5Premium member
On Fri Jul 31, 2009 07:56 AM
oooh, sad to say I am one of those SOs who keep promising to work on it! Somehow some things continue to fall through the cracks. Maybe this post will be motivation for me to git 'er done! In the meantime...Both DMA and DEA have very good syllabi. I don't think you have to be a member to purchase them. "Jump Into Jazz" is very good and so is "Jazz Dance Today." I'm not at the studio so and I can't remember the authors.

To begin making your own, I would suggest you start by deciding how to divide things up. You could do just Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced and then subdivide (Beg. I, etc.) or you can break it all down - level 1, level 2) I personally like to do the three main divisions because it makes it easier to mix levels when I need to.
Next, do exactly what you have described - decide where you want to be at the end of each level. (By then end of beginner I the students should be able to...) There aren't any hard and fast rules for this. What I determine as advanced for my school might only be intermediate at yours. You have to know your community. The bottom line is know what skills you ultimately want them to have and break it down from there. If it is really just for you it doesn't have to be complicated, make your self a list of goals that you feel good about. It can also be broken down by skill type. "Level 1 students have learned the elements of spotting and can do pivot turns and a three step turn. Level 2 students can spot with proficiency and are able to do at least four chaine turns without stopping, pas de bourre turns, and can balance releve passe in good alignment in preparation for pirouette" Whatever. Good luck! I am feeling more inspired to get to work on my own now.
By DaDancingPsych
On Fri Jul 31, 2009 08:48 AM
Does anyone know who authors "Jazz Dance Today"? I couldn't find it on Amazon.

I do own "Jump Into Jazz" by Minda Goodman Kraines and Esther Pryor. It has been helpful.
By MarisaK
On Fri Jul 31, 2009 01:38 PM
I am the new Dance Director of a brand new dance program that is being implemented in a music studio and trying to put together a basic structure for class curriculum for ballet, tap, and jazz for all the levels.

Because we are a new program we are pretty much taking any students we possibly can, but it gets hard when placing them in classes. Example: a 12 year that hasnt taken dance since she was 5 wants to take classes. I can't put her in the int/adv. class, but I dont want to put her with 6 year olds. I am going to have to be very versatile in classes and adapt to each students needs. Any advice with curriculum in this situation?
By turtletoeshoe
On Fri Jul 31, 2009 04:03 PM
I think it depends how many students you end up with. Although my studio is pretty recreational, my SOs have set up an unofficial fast track and beginning track that caters wonderfully to everyone that walks in the door. But they have quite a few students that make it possible. For example, there is one Ballet 1 class for the littles and one Ballet 1 class for beginning teens. None of those split age classes have a ton of students in them, but it allows the kids to work within their own maturity.
By teacher4life
On Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:39 PM
We use the ADAPT syllabus (it is Canandian based). You can find info at adaptsyllabus.com Some love it, some don't. It is great for developing technique but it is up to you to add the style.
By turtletoeshoe
On Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:59 AM
DancerTonite, MarisaK and anyone else who would like to help...

I have been putting some things together (after much consultation and excellent advise from many posters here), that I am interested in getting some input on. Basically, I took all of the individual steps that I could think of and divided them into 3 categories: beginning, intermediate, and advanced. I divided them according to what I would lead my current students to achieve by the end of that particular level.

I would love input for those who would like to do this with me as to:

1. any steps that are not on the list
2. steps that are inproperly labeled. (pretty much, every studio is going to be different so I am kind of looking for things that are obviously grouped together wrong.)

Any help that anyone is willing to give me is very muchly appreciated. I have been thinking how to post this, and I think the easiest thing to do is give me your email and I can send you the doc and email the corrections and ideas back... or if you have other suggestions...
By MarisaK
On Sun Aug 02, 2009 02:11 AM
Turtletoeshoe:

I love this idea! My email is marisa@ballarddance.com
Send them to me and I will start looking over them, thanks so much!
By madance
On Sun Aug 02, 2009 06:57 AM
^^^ me too!
midwestdance@yahoo.com
By teacher4life
On Sun Aug 02, 2009 03:47 PM
I'd love to help too. My email is missmandaca@yahoo.ca
By RisingStarsDance
On Sun Aug 02, 2009 09:49 PM
Me too!
info@RisingStarsDance.com
By darlin_dancer
On Sun Aug 02, 2009 09:59 PM
I am not sure how much help I can be after your get emails from the rest, but if you are still looking for ideas my email is nwojci2@uic.edu and I would love to help out!
By LilMoDancer
On Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:23 AM
I would love to help out. I am in the process of developing something myself. Email is lilmo3k@aol.com. Thanks!
By dancetree
On Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:40 PM
Great idea! Mine is tree519 at comcast dot net.
By slsteach
On Wed Aug 05, 2009 02:02 PM
I have a jazz syllabus I developed a few years ago. I'd love to compare notes. My e-mail is stephanielskinner@comcast.net
By Splash16
On Wed Aug 05, 2009 02:09 PM
I'd love to help out! My email is footworks.inc@hotmail.com
By primaballerine
On Wed Aug 05, 2009 07:27 PM
i'd also love to help!

bree.atlbaby.sinclair43@gmail.com

By lis
On Wed Aug 05, 2009 09:06 PM
I love this idea as well, my email is dance_russ@yahoo.com ( thats an underscore) Thanks!!! :)
By tswetz
On Thu Aug 06, 2009 07:33 AM
I would love to help too. Please email me tswetz@redmagik.com
Thanks
By AcroDancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Aug 06, 2009 08:20 PM
PDC_DancerC@yahoo.com
Please add me too!
By jaimedanse
On Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:18 PM
I'd LOVE to see some Jazz syllabuses and would love to help you develop them!!!! Please send to: kenzie @ impulse dance academy dot com.

I've created a tumbling, cheerleading, baby ballet (2 year old) and a Pre-Dance (3-4 year old) syllabus that i'd love to swap with others who are willing to share theirs! :) :)
By Elyse20
On Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:33 PM
Hi I read your post on your jazz syllabus and I was wondering if you could send me a copy, it would help a ton! my email is peachesmeallonee@yahoo.com

thanks so much,
Elyse
Page:
Page 1 of 4: 1 2 3 4

ReplySendWatch