Popular Highland

Canmore results August 31st? by Highland_Toes
Anyone have any results from Canmore from this past Sunday? Thanks in advance!

Forum: Ballet / Ballet - General

Ballet - General
Paris Nation Opera of Ballet??? en>fr fr>en
By vaganovaballet Comments: 155, member since Sat Jul 18, 2009
On Fri Jul 31, 2009 01:12 AM

I was thinking of moving to the Paris National Opera of Ballet . Is it a good school for training? Why are the prices so cheap? Do they accept international students? Do they accept students 14~? What do they mark the students on at auditions?

14 Replies to Paris Nation Opera of Ballet???

re: Paris Nation Opera of Ballet??? en>fr fr>en
By Arakmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 18113, member since Sun Aug 13, 2000
On Fri Jul 31, 2009 04:33 AM
You know, Google is a wonderful thing. I found exactly what I wanted - well, actually it's exactly what YOU wanted to know:

The Paris Opera isn't one of those schools where you can just sign up and go. It isn't even a simple matter of showing up to an audition, either; Paris Opera hopefuls have to take a six- to nine-month preparatory course before even thinking about auditioning. The six-month course is for children ages 8-11 and the nine-month course is for children ages 11-13.

They make exceptions to accept older students throughout the year, but only for dancers who either have a certificate from certain other organizations based in France or else have won international ballet competitions.

They will teach "other" students who must be capable of keeping pace with their age level, but that's basically what you'd be - an "other" who doesn't get to participate in in-house auditions and can only stay for up to two years. And you can only apply for a position this way between January and March.

www.operadeparis.fr . . .
By Danamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7517, member since Wed Nov 28, 2001
On Fri Jul 31, 2009 06:54 AM
You know, there are plenty of great ballet schools that are less well-known than the ones you're looking for. Maybe set your sights a little lower first before you try to break into the ranks of schools that generally don't even let in older dancers that aren't native to their country...
By BlackTights Comments: 938, member since Fri May 04, 2007
On Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:01 AM
The other issue with the Paris Opera Ballet School is that you would need to have your parents or guardians living within Paris, as the school sends the students home on weekends, and also expects you to have someone there locally, within Paris, to collect you in the case of injury or illness.

I agree that there are many other wonderful schools that might suit you better. POBS is certainly the cream of the crop, so to speak, but your acceptance there is highly unlikely, as they have very strict requirements for just about everything.

I don't recall if you've mentioned your geographic location, but it is usually best to start searching somewhere close to home, so you could live at home with your family and train, as that is the ideal situation. If that isn't possible, then one would typically look into residential schools. There usually isn't any real need to go away to a foreign country to train, though a few students do.

You might find it most helpful to make a post letting us know your general geographic location (for example, Southern California, USA) and then ask for suggestions of schools based on that, as well as your training background (studied ballet for 5 years), and what you are looking for in a school.
By YellowFairy Comments: 418, member since Sat Jun 21, 2008
On Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:55 AM
Edited by YellowFairy (197972) on 2009-07-31 10:59:21
Also, to go to the school (which is in Nanterre btw), it'd be a little difficult to get accepted as a foreigner. They have only a few slots open in each class for foreigners, and one must be quite exceptional to be able to take one of those slots (think competing against all those Asian girls who also have the resources to make the move to Paris from the competition Prix de Lausanne). Generally, girls are taken at a very young age and get progressively eliminated from the program after yearly exams.

I don't know how old you are and what your skill level is, where you currently reside. I've lived in Europe, and Paris is very expensive. If you're a minor and you'd make the move with your parents, it's very difficult to get a work visa as well, and even more difficult for either you or your parents to find a suitable job without already having made connections there. Also, language barrier.. do you speak French? You'd be expected to operate and function only in French at Nanterre. Anyway, if you have any other questions, keep posting.
On Sat Aug 01, 2009 09:36 AM
Well, seeing that most big ballet schools don't accept international students, are there any big dance schools who specify in ballet that will accept international students??? Also is Kiev Ballet Academy a good school for training? Is it a famous school? Will they accept international students??? Thank you.
By dancinislife0607member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1422, member since Sun Apr 16, 2006
On Sat Aug 01, 2009 09:39 AM
I have 2 questions: Why are you so desperate to go to a school outside your home country? and Why are you so desperate to go to a really famous school?
On Sat Aug 01, 2009 09:47 AM
I am really desperate to get into a school outside of my home country because 1) You can never become famous here. 2) They don't have much good education. And why do I want to get into a famous ballet academy? 1) The chances are higher to becoming a ballerina. 2) Please answer my question. Thank you.
By dancinislife0607member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1422, member since Sun Apr 16, 2006
On Sat Aug 01, 2009 09:55 AM
Well, I don't know about the POB and Kiev, so I can't really help you there, it's just that plenty of not as famous schools offer really good training. Where do you live? It's hard to imagine a country that has absolutely no pre-pro ballet schools.
By YellowFairy Comments: 418, member since Sat Jun 21, 2008
On Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:00 AM
All schools take international students, I didn't say they don't. Most schools just take very few international students, having only a limited space for them. The reason for this is because outside of America, many of those large schools are subsidized or funded by the government, and because of that, their student body picks must be comprised of many nationals or citizens. When those 3-5 international students are placed in each class, they are usually exceptional and extremely talented.

Where do you live? I wouldn't say that American dance education is bad.. I mean, you couldn't hope to get into L'Ecole de Danse at Paris Opera's organization, or Kiev, or Perm, or Moscow, or anywhere for that matter if you can't even qualify for amazing schools like San Francisco Ballet Academy and School of American Ballet (if you're into Balanchine). Believe me, you should try local first where you can at least pay for your education and possibly get accepted.

In the meantime, there are a bunch of schools in America that have world class education and that produce professional dancers. You just have to understand that besides a school, the individual must also possess the qualities to become a professional dancer - that's something that can't always be taught (personal work ethics and etc.).
By BlackTights Comments: 938, member since Fri May 04, 2007
On Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:42 PM
You might consider the Canadian ballet schools, if you are looking for a well respected residential program that accepts foreign students. They are:

Canada's National Ballet School www.nbs-enb.ca

Royal Winnipeg Ballet School www.rwbschool.com

Both schools produce professional dancers and offer a wonderful academic and dance education, and I know for a fact that they welcome international students.

Canada also has the Quinte Ballet School, but I don't know enough about it to comment as to the academic education or quality of dance training offered there, though I am sure they too accept international students.

Quinte Ballet School www.quinteballetschool.com

With both the National Ballet School and Royal Winnipeg, you would need to audition for the summer program first, and if accepted, you attend, and then are evaluated as to your suitability for the year round programs. I would think this is the same process for Quinte, but again, I am not as informed about Quinte.

I don't believe the Canadian schools have any sort of limits on the number of foreign students they will accept. The only issue may be funding for foreigners--they may still offer financial aid, but they are most interested in making sure the Canadian students are funded first.

In the U.S., some notable residential schools are The Harid Conservatory, School of American Ballet, Kirov Academy of Ballet, North Carolina School of the Arts, The Rock School, and Boston Ballet School/Grace Performing Arts Academy

There are MANY wonderful professional schools in the US, however for the most part, they don't typically offer boarding and academic arrangements, apart from those I mentioned above. There are also other schools in the US that offer dance programs and boarding: Bossov Ballet, Nutmeg Conservatory, Walnut Hill School, St. Paul's, Interlochen, Idyllwild Arts...

There is also the possibility of attending one of the other very well known professional programs and finding some sort of housing/academic arrangements on your own, or with the help of the school. Some schools are more helpful with this than others. Some very well respected programs of this sort are San Francisco Ballet School, Pacific Northwest Ballet School, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School (ABT NYC), Houston Ballet School, Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet (CPYB), Pittsburgh Ballet Theater School, The Joffrey Ballet School (NYC), Orlando Ballet School, Miami City Ballet School, etc.

In Canada, you might look into the Goh Ballet Academy.

You can search for all these schools on Google and find whatever you need information wise, as well as email addresses to email school administrators to ask further questions.

You might consider joining the website called Ballet Talk for Dancers to read reviews of all these programs and many more. There are tons of current and archived discussions of all the programs I have named here, written by students and parents of students at the schools. It's a great resource for learning about ballet, and especially for researching summer or year round programs. You will need to register for an account in order to see the reviews, and you must do so using an email that is NOT one of the free email providers (yahoo, gmail, hotmail, etc.).

Good luck.
By yichun Comments: 1383, member since Wed Oct 19, 2005
On Sat Aug 01, 2009 06:07 PM
vaganovaballet wrote:

I am really desperate to get into a school outside of my home country because 1) You can never become famous here. 2) They don't have much good education. And why do I want to get into a famous ballet academy? 1) The chances are higher to becoming a ballerina. 2) Please answer my question. Thank you.

Well, i I remember correctly, you live in Japan right? Then you've really got the wrong impression about ballet in Japan. I know many Japanese people wants to go abroad, but ballet education in Japan in not that bad! Being famous ballerina will NOT happen autometically for you. You posted so many posts about how to become a ballerina, how to get into prestige schools, how to be famous...etc. These are WRONG reasons to persue your ballet career. MOST ballerinas aren't that famous. They just play their role and enjoy dancing, if you want to be famous, there're other quicker and easier ways. Have you contacted ANY of the schools that you've mentioned? If youre interested, they've all got email or phone number, why don't you just get in contact with them NOW?

Just remember, no ballet school will EVER make you famous. To become famous, you need to be really good with a bit of luck. Just by going to those schools will not make you famous. Just think about how many students graduate from those schools each year, and how MANY have you heard of?? I think even with those big-brand schools, only the top 5-10% would be considered "famous" in your opinion.

Please read all the answers people gave you again. Sometimes you don't find what you asked for because you've asked the wrong question. If you really want to succeed, you need to at least start working really hard in your home country. By the age 14, you need to be good and showing potential to get into any schools you've mentioned. They will NOT spend their time retrain you.
By LittleButFierce Comments: 882, member since Sat May 05, 2007
On Sun Aug 02, 2009 01:03 PM
hey if you are from japan they have really good schools there. I go to a residential school in canada and I have met kids that come from japan who are so great! they usually come to my school from the YAGP competition but some just come by regular auditions. I don't know what schools in japan are the best but I know they do have very good training there and have dancers who can probably become top ballet dancers in a few years. if you go on the YAGP site you might see some names of dancers and the schools they went to. they list the winners and their schools and a lot of the winners are japanese. Ok for instance here are some. this is from 2008 YAGP finals, so they are all very very good dancers. I went to summer intensive with sho yamada and he was so amazing and so well trained. he looked like a professional already and he was only 13.

Rin Okuno , 15 (Sawako Murase Ballet Studio, JAPAN)

Anna Ishii , 15 (Sugihara Kazuko Ballet Art, JAPAN)

Saori Otsudo, 12 (Soki Ballet School, JAPAN)

Ayaka Fujii, 14 (Soda Ballet School, JAPAN)

Kaho Ogawa, 12 (Ballet Academy RELEVÉ, JAPAN)

Seira Winning, 13 (Yukiko Takada Ballet School, JAPAN)

Sho Yamada, 13 (Koshiba Hazaki Ballet School. JAPAN)

Yuya Takahashi, 14 (Okawa Atsuko Ballet Studio, JAPAN)

Kurumi Shibadaira, 11 (Emi Aiba Ballet Studio, JAPAN)

Masafumi Okuzono, 11 (Fukaura Hiroko Ballet Studio, JAPAN)

Mikio Kato, 11 (Hitomi Takeuchi Ballet School, JAPAN)

so ya you have really good schools in japan and you can look up on prix de lausanne site too for the same things. look at the schools that are teaching these dancers who win in the international competitions and you will probably find a very very good school to go to there.
re: Paris Nation Opera of Ballet??? (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
By Arakmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 18113, member since Sun Aug 13, 2000
On Sun Aug 02, 2009 01:35 PM
And why do I want to get into a famous ballet academy? 1) The chances are higher to becoming a ballerina.

In order to get into a famous and prestigious school in the first place, the directors must decide that you have the potential to get into a company later on, because that's what will help their reputation. They aren't famous because they take just anyone and turn them into ballerinas; they're famous because they spot favorable circumstances and take advantage of what they see. You have to be well on your way already, and the older you are, the higher the standards you will have to meet. Very young children simply have to have good proportions, flexibility, and a sense of rhythm. And even of those who are accepted young, many will be weeded out along the way and only the best will remain. A teenager would have to have had exceptional training and already be a fantastic dancer before they'd even consent to give it a shot. It would be incredibly difficult to break into the ranks in schools like these.

And quite honestly, they're not all there is. There are hundreds of thousands of studios in the world with perfectly wonderful teachers who are more than capable of training dancers toward becoming professionals. And that's all you really need - a very great teacher. And if there's a connection between you and that teacher that brings out your greatest potential, it doesn't matter if you found that great teacher at the Kirov Academy, the Paris Opera, or Miss Betty's School of Ballet.
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7526, member since Sat Jan 04, 2003
On Sun Aug 02, 2009 09:52 PM
Japan doesn't have any good ballet education? I scoff at you. Country wise, I think it would be pretty high up in ballet education.

How many Japanese dancers have been finalists at major competitions?

A good school/teacher is important, but the most important is your attitude and skill. There are thousands of great ballet schools in the world. Maybe not with the prestige of others, but wonderful all the same. Many girls your age are still at their local ballet school and don't travel to further their ballet until 16-18. Then they get accepted into companies.

Find a school that can offer you intensive classical classes. At least 20 hours a week of ballet. Some kids wanting to go your age do like 30. It's scary but true.

ReplySendWatch