Feature: Ballet / Ballet - General

Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2
re: Inspiration #06: Interview with Susan Jaffe
By SoloJazzDancer
On Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:36 PM
I want to say one more thing. I have not harbored any resentment to all the people who bullied me. However, I graduated high school in 1973 and would you believe all those people who bullied me are still doing it when I see them? Can you see why I won't go to a class reunion? That's their loss though if they can't get past 1969 - 1973. I have.

I am so excited to be taking Ballet. I always have fun when I dance. This will be no different although it will be harder for me. I'm so glad I have a niece who got accepted to The Boston Ballet for 5 weeks this summer to help me when I have problems. She is a wonderful dancer!
By hummingbird
On Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:26 AM
Thank you so much for this great interview,
I'm so glad I'm not alone in thinking the artistry is missing in ballet at the moment, I thought I was just getting old and jaded :D I say at the moment because things do move in cycles and with the help of teachers like Susan Jaffe we will see it return in the next generation of dancers.
By nycsylphmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Aug 09, 2009 01:22 PM
I am so excited to be taking Ballet. I always have fun when I dance. This will be no different although it will be harder for me. I'm so glad I have a niece who got accepted to The Boston Ballet for 5 weeks this summer to help me when I have problems. She is a wonderful dancer!

Solojazzdancer -

I'm glad you have that much enthusiasm. I'm happy for you! And having fun is really what it's all about. You should enjoy what you're doing!

How lucky you are to have this talent in the family! I'm sure she's absolutely amazing and I look forward to paying a full ticket price to see her on stage!

hummingbird wrote:

Thank you so much for this great interview,
I'm so glad I'm not alone in thinking the artistry is missing in ballet at the moment, I thought I was just getting old and jaded :D I say at the moment because things do move in cycles and with the help of teachers like Susan Jaffe we will see it return in the next generation of dancers.

Yes, it's the conversation I've had many times lately. And you're totally right, things are cyclical. Right now technique is progressing and being chosen. The only thing I've seen lately that had this artistry was the new ballet by Christopher Wheeldon, but then it was danced by Wendy Whelan who is a seasoned, beautiful dancer that has it all. The score was brilliant, the dancing brilliant and the choreography superb! I had a complete emotional pull towards the production and was mesmerized by what was happening on the stage.

In terms of what's going on and the lack of this artistry other than the new ballet I refer to above is that it's times like these a true genius emerges. A genius that not only possesses all the technical skills, but one that heralds sort of a new age of ballet. They set the tone for what the next era in ballet will be because they advance the art in this direction.

Waiting for that to happen.
By elle_ballerinamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:32 AM
Great interview! Thanks :)
On Mon Sep 14, 2009 08:31 PM
elle_ballerina wrote:

Great interview! Thanks :)

elle_ballerina -

Well, aren't you sweet!!!!

I keep forgetting that these interviews can be read even after they cease to be stickies!!!

Thanks again! She really was a doll to interview!!!
By mustangdancer
On Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:10 AM
I love this interview so much. I've always admired Susan Jaffe and it's absolutely fascinating to get a glimpse into what it must have been like for her, taking her place with the legends of ballet. Thank you so much for sharing this with us!!
By sugerplumfairy
On Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:47 AM
That was amazing! I used to go to that school when I was younger, before I moved. Is there any more articles like this?
By chipo
On Fri Dec 25, 2009 03:13 PM
Just wonderful! thank you so much for that
On Sat Dec 26, 2009 03:14 PM
isa13 wrote:

Great Interview!

isa13 -

Oh, my gosh! People are still posting about this? I apologize for I missed your reply - and the ones below this! I thought it had disappeared on the back pages somewhere.

Thank you so much, Isa! I was my pleasure to bring it to you!

I love this interview so much. I've always admired Susan Jaffe and it's absolutely fascinating to get a glimpse into what it must have been like for her, taking her place with the legends of ballet. Thank you so much for sharing this with us!!

mustangdancer -

You are very welcome!

Yes, when she was telling me about what it was like with the jealousy, people not talking to her and the stringent requirements placed on her to lose weight, it hit me!

I'm sure we've all had to deal with silly jealousy, but so much more pressure was heaped upon her delicate shoulders! But she bore it with grace, dignity and wisdom that went beyond her tender years.

It was truly an honor meeting her and speaking with her. I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

That was amazing! I used to go to that school when I was younger, before I moved. Is there any more articles like this?

sugerplumfairy -

Lucky you! You must just be dazzling! I can well imagine she's a kind, giving and very meticulous teacher. To have been fortunate enough to study under like someone - well, all I can say is that you don't get much better than Susan Jaffe!

In terms of other articles, do you mean interviews with her specifically? Or other interviews with other dancers? If it's the latter, yes, this was the sixth interview and there were five others that preceded it. I'm sure they're floating around somewhere. In the archives?

Now if you mean with her specifically - no. If you mean with someone on par with her, I did one with Martine van Hamel who is just amazing and so very classy!

Just wonderful! thank you so much for that

Chipo -

Thank you! If you hadn't replied, I would have never even seen the other nice replies!

I'm glad you found it - and glad you took the time out to reply!

I hope to find time in the New Year to start interviewing again. I did very much enjoy meeting these fantastic people!
On Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:34 AM
Well, I have fantastic news regarding Ms. Jaffe's teaching schedule - especially if you live in the NY area! (raises hand)

I decided to check out Peridance Center. Knew they were moving and saw they had new classes and found that Ms. Susan Jaffe is teaching an open class there starting January 4th!!!!

Am so excited!!!!!! Don't know if I have the nerve to drag my old, baggy self there, but for those of you interested in learning from a master ... I suggest you head over there!!!

Here's the link:

www.peridance.com

I love it when teachers of this ilk and status take the time to pass on their knowledge in this kind of forum. It means everyone in the vicinity has the chance to learn - really learn - what it takes to be great!

Wow!!!! I'm thinking I read this wrong!!!
Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch