Poll: Highland / Highland - Hornpipe

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
If you could, would you change the hornpipe outfit colors?
By doitfordance123 Comments: 73, member since Sat Jul 18, 2009
On Tue Aug 04, 2009 02:04 PM
Edited by doitfordance123 (214156) on 2009-08-04 15:16:26 noting to voting

I think purple would be cool!
Thanks for voting if you do!

41 Replies to If you could, would you change the hornpipe outfit colors?

re: If you could, would you change the hornpipe outfit colors?
By GaelicWannabe Comments: 212, member since Sat Jul 12, 2008
On Tue Aug 04, 2009 02:10 PM
I voted no. Navy and White are in keeping with historical naval uniforms. I think I would find it odd to see sailors outfits in other colours. Just my opinion of course, but I like the tradition.
On Tue Aug 04, 2009 03:14 PM
I understand your point of view, but I still think it would be cool to have different colors.
By puddelilly Comments: 586, member since Thu Sep 11, 2008
On Tue Aug 04, 2009 06:25 PM
I voted other, because I hadn't really thought about it before. I suppose fun beach colors would be cute, although I can imagine this extending to absurdity and becoming like ID costumes a couple of years back, maybe glitterdot bright orange with lime green piping? :) We could always purchase off of the disco boards though :)
By medalgirl_11member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 295, member since Sat Feb 24, 2007
On Tue Aug 04, 2009 06:47 PM
I do like the navy/white costumes because they're traditional. It might be just me, but brightly colored costumes just seem a little weird for competitions.
For choreographies and performances, purple, bright blue, or green would be awesome!
On Tue Aug 04, 2009 07:39 PM
Thants true, mabye for competitions we would use navy and white, but for choreo and performances that would be cool!
By emmyport Comments: 911, member since Thu Mar 13, 2008
On Wed Aug 05, 2009 06:33 AM
Back in the 80s/90s, you would see dancers in the Pacific Northwest wearing actual sailor suits, which were black with a touch of red or white trim on the arms. They were pretty cool looking, but one of my friends who wore one told me they were also hotter than my mom-made, navy gabardine number :)

~ Emily
By Cheesemoo Comments: 639, member since Mon Jun 23, 2008
On Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:54 AM
I like navy and white personally, just because of the tradition, but I think that for a choreography multi-coloured sailors would be really funky.
I just dunno how easy they would be to obtain...:D
On Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:21 AM
Well, everyone seems to make a point, and the 80's 1 sounds really cool, but, if you are not wearing white and dancing outside, it can get really hot in the navy blue, mabye a lighter blue would be better personaly.
By scottishgirl Comments: 42, member since Wed Jun 18, 2008
On Sat Aug 22, 2009 07:03 AM
I like the traditional colors now. But...I think pink would be fun and cute. Thanks,
Scottishgirl
By highlandfriend Comments: 102, member since Tue Apr 04, 2006
On Sat Aug 22, 2009 09:54 AM
I like the blue/white. It fits the role. If another color were added, perhaps black would also look the part.
By batd_teacherPremium member Comments: 2551, member since Mon Feb 23, 2004
On Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:16 AM
I have the Millenium Champions Challenge and there was a choreography group where the "female" lead in the dance wore a sailor's style dress. It was adorable.

Maybe we could get something like the "Jacky Tar" look? or the Gene Kelly look? Or just an old fashioned Hornpipe dress?

Here's a few pics!
By j_llama Comments: 127, member since Thu Aug 07, 2008
On Sat Aug 22, 2009 03:05 PM
I appreciate the tradition fo the navy/white, but I'm not even gonna pretend I wouldn't jump at the chance to wear a neon orange hornpipe suit haha.
By beat_n_mi_feet87 Comments: 1970, member since Tue Jun 10, 2003
On Sat Aug 22, 2009 05:02 PM
the hornpipe costume is one of the ones i wouldn't even consider changing! we're playing a role in the hornpipe and i think it's fun to look like actual navy sailors... the looks people give to the little ones in hornpipes are hilarious! lol this costume is probably the most "uniform" out of all our costumes... and well, it's supposed to look like a uniform so sadly i'm anti-change on this one! lol

now the jig costumes could probably take a little change... but again... we don't want to end up like the irish dancers and go crazy and over-do it... lol ;) ***NOT INTENDING TO OFFEND ANY IRISH DANCERS! lol
By highlanddancer96member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 83, member since Sat Aug 22, 2009
On Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:50 PM
I wouldnt change the hornpipe outfit colours but i think it would look cool if you could have red and white stripes on the collar. :)
By ReelFish Comments: 48, member since Mon Aug 17, 2009
On Mon Aug 24, 2009 08:49 AM
I prefer the navy/white combinations. My hornpipe is navy. I wouldn't want to see it in other colours. It just wouldn't be nautical in say pink!
On Fri Aug 28, 2009 06:19 AM

I've taught 3 of my beginners and a novice the hornpipe this summer as they have a performance on Saturday the 29th for the Great Canadian Kayak Challenge and figured this "nautical" event would be a great place for them to perform it.

Limited time and resources caused me to get creative with the uniform for performance purposes...so, I went to Value Village, got all these shorts, white shirts (which were brand new by the way with the original store tags on them) and some ribbon.

Not too shabby.

Oh, the one wearing the sparkly belt won't be wearing it for the performance. lol

Just thought I would share this for the idea of costume change.
On Fri Aug 28, 2009 06:20 AM

I've taught 3 of my beginners and a novice the hornpipe this summer as they have a performance on Saturday the 29th for the Great Canadian Kayak Challenge and figured this "nautical" event would be a great place for them to perform it.

Limited time and resources caused me to get creative with the uniform for performance purposes...so, I went to Value Village, got all these shorts, white shirts (which were brand new by the way with the original store tags on them) and some ribbon.

Not too shabby.

Oh, the one wearing the sparkly belt won't be wearing it for the performance. lol

Just thought I would share this for the idea of costume change.
By HighlandLas Comments: 36, member since Sun May 18, 2008
On Fri Aug 28, 2009 08:57 AM
I think the traditional colours are great, but wish the outfits were a little more like the original sailors outfits.
By CompactDiscomember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1076, member since Fri Aug 29, 2008
On Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:25 AM
I voted no, it would take away from the character and I really like the colors right now... they look relly awesome!
By Emdancer1 Comments: 199, member since Wed Sep 10, 2008
On Sun Nov 01, 2009 08:52 PM
I voted yes, but I don't want colours like yellow or orange! I just think maybe a grey would suit the dance. :)
By Katja144member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3223, member since Sat Jul 30, 2005
On Sun Nov 15, 2009 05:25 PM
Royal blue might look pretty...or perhaps allow, say, navy pants and a white top...
By Asta Comments: 86, member since Wed Nov 26, 2008
On Sun Nov 15, 2009 05:57 PM
The Wiggles in their "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" DVD wear sailor suits in their own colors. Here's a picture of Sam in his yellow sailor suit:

www.devoteddvd.com.au . . .

You can see more of the outfits in this video (at the beginning):
www.youtube.com . . .

I might like some more stripes or stars allowed, like on the sleeves stripes near the wrist and stars on the back of the collar. I think you can see a star on the collar here:
www.coverbrowser.com . . .

And the stripes on the sleeve here:
images.art.com . . .

Also, I would like not just a ribbon but one of those ties sailors wear. The ribbon in a perfect bow looks a little unsailorly. I also like the Anchors Aweigh Gene Kelly look, but I'm not quite sure I could pull it off. ;)

In general, I'm pretty happy with the current sailor suit, though.
By superdancer5member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 56, member since Fri Sep 04, 2009
On Wed Jan 20, 2010 04:28 PM
i think a good colour would be purple or green i like thoose to colours
By ScotchGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5324, member since Fri Jan 24, 2003
On Sun Jan 24, 2010 08:49 AM
I think black would be nice. When I got my hornpipe outfit for the first time I was looking all over for a black outfit until I realized the don't make them. But I think it would be nice to go along with the navy and white.
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch