Forum: Ballet / Guys in Ballet

What type of flats do you wear?
By Old_Ballet_Dude
On Wed Aug 05, 2009 05:44 PM

I have both canvas and leather ballet slippers, but I tend to prefer my Capezio black leather flats.

Which do you prefer?

24 Replies to What type of flats do you wear?

re: What type of flats do you wear?
By guyintightsmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Aug 06, 2009 06:43 AM
I have a lot of different kinds capezio and bloch mostly,
leather full sole and split and canvas splits.
Mostly I wear the splits, mostly the Bloch, and some times the Capezio canvas.
The Bloch are neat cause they have leather for the vamp and the heel with a canvas insert on the sole where the split between toe and heel is.
Way to much information with out a clear answer, sorry!
I guess it depends a lot on my mood at the momnet too in thinking about my answer.
By TidalWhale
On Thu Aug 06, 2009 06:56 AM
I have capezio canvas shoes, they are not my favorite but I wear them to class because they are cheaper and I dont have to sew them I just wrap them around and tie the elastic underneath my arch. For performance or auditions I wear my bloch leather split soles. I LOVE them, they require sewing and are a little bit more expensive, but they just feel amazing when they are on my feet!
By NickfromDvaldamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Aug 06, 2009 08:09 PM
I have a nice pair of black Sansha canvas slippers. I think they make my feet look good, and they're really nice for turning.
By rmdanceguy1
On Thu Aug 06, 2009 08:44 PM
I started dancing with leather ballet shoes. I bought a pair of canvas shoes last year. A world of difference in comfort and dancing. I really like the canvas much better than the leather.
By guyclone
On Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:12 PM
I LOVE the look and feel of leather ballet shoes. SO thats mostly what I buy. But... I have some canvas ones as well. The are better on certain floors, but... they just feel like dancing in socks, so I don't totally get the point.
While most of my leather shoes are full sole, I do like the split soles. They definately show the foots point better.
By balletkml
On Sun Aug 30, 2009 02:33 AM
I like Capezio Daisy full leather because they are cheap at about US$ 10 a pair, to stretch, wear between class and even out on the streets, but I HATE their elastics with the CAPEZIO LOGO sewed on, please keep it simple with NO corporate logos on the elastics, please!!!
For class, and dancing in America, I love to wear full leather pink Illinois Theatricals size 6 1/2 M, they are so tight as I usually wear a size 7, but I love their low front vamp cut and I find I can pointe better. I don't dance at all in US, but teach summer intensive at my mother's academy, so it is my choice as I get them for free!
I dance in Japan and China, I love Rain Dance slippers, they are about US$ 6 a pair, in canvas, really low cut front and rear vamp and low sides, with a leather front toecap, so I can't complain. I mostly buy white so I can dye them to whatever colour I want to match (or mis-match ) with my tights
By SilverGreyDancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:10 PM
Sansha Pro SC1 canvas I like them the best and I can get them in grey.
By LittleButFierce
On Sun Aug 30, 2009 04:30 PM
I wear sansha pro 1c. They are canvas and required as part of my school uniform. When I danced at home I wore leather shoes also because they stretched better and they lasted longer. I wore bloch prolite IIs and bloch prolite II hybrid. Hybrid is leather but with canvas inserts on the sides of the arches. They are all split sole shoes. I would never wear full sole ugh!
On Sun Aug 30, 2009 05:03 PM
Edited by SilverGreyDancer (93787) on 2009-08-30 17:04:18
Edited by SilverGreyDancer (93787) on 2009-08-30 17:07:08
Edited by SilverGreyDancer (93787) on 2009-08-30 17:07:17
I used to wear Bloch Prolite 2's all the time but the Sansha's are about half the price.
On Sun Aug 30, 2009 05:07 PM
I used to wear Ploch Prolite 2's all the time but the Sansha's are about half the price.
By youdancefunny
On Sun Aug 30, 2009 09:02 PM
Karl Heinz Martins in canvas. They come with 2 different cuts (high and low vamp) and a right and left shoe! Imagine that! They're also made of a softer, stretchy canvas which is good for people like me with a longer second toe. I've had lots of problems with other shoes being too short and hurting my toe, or fitting my toe and then not fitting properly everywhere else.
By askling
On Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:52 PM
This is going to sound sad but the only shoes I have ever had that fit were block. I have a wide foot and it's the only one that fits well. Oh and there canvice. But I love how they hug my foot and they don't bunch up in the arch or the heel.
By lift
On Fri Sep 11, 2009 06:11 PM
sansha pro 1C
haven't used another yet
By PerfectFeet
On Wed Sep 16, 2009 09:25 AM
I've been dancing for two years and have stuck with So Danca's the whole time. That was the first kind I bought, and I suppose I've just neglected to try anything else because they are just fine. I like the split sole with the stretchy "gusset" part in the arch. I think they hug the arch about as well as I could expect a shoe to. I've tried the leather and the canvas, and I don't really have a preference, other than the fact that the leather ones get smelly faster than the canvas.

Should I try something different? I guess the only drawback with So Danca's is that I have to order them online. But if I start buying Capezios or Blochs from a store, then I'll have to pay retail price anyway. So I might as well just stick with my $13 So Danca's, eh?
By kirkydancer
On Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:04 AM
I used to wear sansha pro1c but about 2 years ago I tried karl Hanz martin canvas and they are soo good, they sculpt to the shape of my foot perfectly and I ever have any pain from folds in the shoe
By jorrdanlewissmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:17 PM
Edited by jorrdanlewiss (212525) on 2009-09-19 13:26:11
I wear johnny brown because my town doesnt really have a dance store so I have to get a pair from the shoe store my mom works at and I don't have enough extra cash right now to order the capezio romeo's im dying for.
By loveABT
On Wed Sep 23, 2009 09:41 PM
Well, I tend to prefer Capezio cobras or just Capezios, whether black or white I find they are much thinner than Bloch's or Sanshas and make any ones arches looks better. The problem with Capezios (especially Capezio Cobra's) is that they wear out really fast, in a couple of weeks they are a no. For longer quality I therefore sometimes use Sansha Pros even though they get annoying if I wear them for too long because of their thickness and much less flexibility. Blochs are also nice, they are sort of in between Sanshas and Capezios in terms of thickness but their soles are really rough at first. I'd say for the good look, Capezios all the time :)
By yostretch
On Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:35 AM
I like the Bloch's "Pump" for men the pleats are flat unlike sansha but have worn both
On Wed Sep 30, 2009 08:26 AM
Kirkydancer

Carl Martins are available where? How does their sizing work? Price? Colors available?
By DANCEBOY5
On Sun Oct 18, 2009 09:52 PM
I wear Capezio split sole, black ballet flats. I love the greater flexability they offer , ( mostly in releve's) and they fit perfectly on my feet. They look great too! I'd like to get a pair if white that look just like the black I own to match with white tights...
By mascunine
On Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:25 PM
Right now i wear Capezio Cobras. I like that they are split-sole, but the canvas part is annoying. Once, the shoe brushed the wall during the barre stretch and they turned pink. Leather is probably better for people that are 10 through 14 because they would stretch more so you wouldn't have to get new ones as frequently.
By guyclone
On Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:27 PM
How did your canvas shoes turn pink by brushing against the wall???
By stormshadow
On Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:37 PM
I've tried a couple shoes in the past. I've tried the Capezio Cobras, but wasn't too fond of them after they fell apart on me after only three classes. I Also tried the Bloch Elasto-splits, but they shift around a lot when you have tights on. I've never had a problem with Bloch Prolites though. I have them in leather, and they've always stood up to whatever punishment I put them through while at the same time being really comfortable.
By se81ballet
On Tue Dec 22, 2009 05:01 PM
I have 2 pairs currently. I have a pair of leather Capezio ones in black, and a pair of canvas Sansha Pro's (which I much prefer) also in black

ReplySendWatch