Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Adult Dancers

Page:
Page 111 of 118: 1 2 3 4 5 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118
re: Ouch! Took first pointe class in 20 years tonight!
By Attitude1407
On Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:08 PM
Sylph - eloquent post indeed! I agree with everything you said and relate to it all, too. Thank you for writing out your thoughts so well!

I will write more later. Just wanted to stop in and say that for now. :)
By smileywomanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:24 AM
Hi kids *waves*

Hope everyone is doing well. I've been super busy, and have S L O W L Y started basic conditioning exercises with the hopes to dance again some day soon. Meanwhile, I get orthotic molds and steroid shoot *shudders* next week to help me continue rehab'g my 6+ month ligament/tendon injury.

And guess what?

The newest GET THE POINTE interview is up www.dance.net . . ..

REMEMBER: if you wish to be considered for a future issue, just send me a private message. You don't have to be en pointe, just a ballet student or ballet dancer (recreational or professional).

Ciao,

Maria (smileywoman) :D
By nycsylphmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Apr 21, 2013 09:50 AM
smileywoman wrote:

Hi kids *waves*

Hope everyone is doing well. I've been super busy, and have S L O W L Y started basic conditioning exercises with the hopes to dance again some day soon. Meanwhile, I get orthotic molds and steroid shoot *shudders* next week to help me continue rehab'g my 6+ month ligament/tendon injury.

And guess what?

The newest GET THE POINTE interview is up www.dance.net . . ..

REMEMBER: if you wish to be considered for a future issue, just send me a private message. You don't have to be en pointe, just a ballet student or ballet dancer (recreational or professional).

Ciao,

Maria (smileywoman) :D

Hello Beautiful Maria -

Glad to see the interview is up and running and that you're making progress in overcoming healthy issue. Good for you!

As for me, I'm kicking myself in the pants. I've been preoccupied with health issues and actually missed a ballet performance. :P One I was looking forward to! :P

I am so mad, but in the scheme of things I do understand why I didn't remember. But still.

Things are really not going well, but I will continue to try ... and write dates for performances on the wall ... with magic markers!
On Thu Apr 25, 2013 08:49 PM
Edited by smileywoman (141214) on 2013-04-25 20:50:45 hmmmm someone cannot type with their long finger nails...I created a new word today. LOL
Edited by smileywoman (141214) on 2013-04-25 20:51:33 ...
I survived the shot and feeling stronger all the time. I've started a DDN diary on the arts board if anyone wants to follow me.

Meanwhile, guess what I did today? www.dance.net . . .
On Mon Apr 29, 2013 09:59 AM
Edited by nycsylph (206174) on 2013-04-29 10:04:07 Forgot something!
smileywoman wrote:

I survived the shot and feeling stronger all the time. I've started a DDN diary on the arts board if anyone wants to follow me.

Meanwhile, guess what I did today? www.dance.net . . .

Is that you dancing again?

Oh, so happy that you're back at it. Probably taking it slow?

Really, this is fantastic, and you look younger and more beautiful each time I see you! :P

Stop Benjamin Buttoning! I insist!

Cyber hugs to you and keep the photos coming!

All -

Received some rather horrible news about a nephew. He was always so healthy so the thought of him in the hospital ... suffering ... it's just really getting me down.

Won't go into the details, but it's taken the air out of me. I am carrying on in setting up dance interviews and doing a book launch to take my mind off things, but really am praying he'll fully recover.

It highlights the fact that if you want to do something, don't wait. Do it while you can. You just never know.

Hope you're all well.

On Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:13 AM
Sylph, I'm so sorry to here about your nephew. He will be in my prayers. I too hope all of you are fine and dont put off pursuing your dreams.
By brubie
On Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:16 AM
Sylph, you are so right, do it while you can, isn't the expression carpe diem...sending you all the warm, comforting thoughts I can.
By odile53
On Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:20 PM
Praying for your nephew's speedy return to good health, Sylph.
By brubie
On Sat May 04, 2013 06:43 AM
Class really was awful Thursday night, barre which usually is one of my favorite parts of class, was an exercise in patience. One of the folks who is giving me a hard time decided to stand at the barre with me. It was a small class, and there wasn't any need for her to deliberately stand next to me. I'm beginning to feel like she/they are watching me. For the past couple of weeks I have making a conscious choice to stand on the opposite side of the studio from the two/three who are bothering me. I figured that I'd stand at a different spot, focus just on me, and that they would continue to stand where they usually stand. It isn't working, well didn't work Thursday evening nor this past Sunday. Can I come right out and ask them to stand elsewhere? I really don't want to go there, as two of them work the desk at the studio and are prone to "chatting."

Because barre was such a fiasco, I just marked the rest of the class in the back. Not much fun, and definitely not worth what I am paying to take class. I may go back to the slower class I attended a couple of weeks ago, alas that class isn't a challenge. Curious as to what folks do when the teacher focus on, chats with 1-2 individuals the entire class, (and not skilled teens who happen to be in class). Really an ongoing 20 minute conversation the first 20 minutes of class with two ( one of them the person standing next to me) about going out, drinking,etc. I like the teacher, he is generally a good, tough teacher, but now the only one he is giving any corrections to is 1 person, and she in turn, well eats it up. Guess I had better stop, just needed a place where I could express what I've been feeling and encountering for the past week, thanks much.
On Sat May 04, 2013 06:12 PM
brubie wrote:

It isn't working, well didn't work Thursday evening nor this past Sunday. Can I come right out and ask them to stand elsewhere? I really don't want to go there, as two of them work the desk at the studio and are prone to "chatting."

Brubie -

No, I wouldn't do that. Based on what you said, they're just getting on your nerves -- deliberately it seems. So what good would it do? And you're really not supposed to be telling people which barre to stand at so if she said anything, you'd look in the wrong. Nope! That's out.

Really I'd say something in a joking fashion. For instance if she stood near me, I'd say, "Great! I'm so glad you're standing here so I can see what not to do!"

Or even better yet, I'd start correcting her. I don't know who likes another student correctly them. So I'd point at my stomach during barre and mouth, "Pull up! Pull up!" Oh, I know, keep asking her to repeat the combinations! That ought to do it! :P

I don't know what to say. They're just trying to get to you and they are. It's your call as to what you want to do. You can just suck it up and carry on. That is an option, but it really is up to you.
By brubie
On Sat May 04, 2013 06:25 PM
NYS I don't think sarcasm would work with these three - although I'd love to correct all three of them. I may just try moving to another barre, or stand at the barre on one of the walls. Class today was a pleasure, none of them were there.
By rmdanceguy1
On Sat May 04, 2013 10:10 PM
Hey ladies! Just checking in with another update from me. I finally decided to change nights for my classes. I moved from Mondays to the advanced ballet class on Wednesdays. The teacher for the Monday night adult class was just too stressed with the wedding and the recital and everything to get a decent quality class. So, when she suggested I move to Wednesdays, I took her up on it. The teacher is with the SO and even though it is the advanced ballet class, I am keeping up so far. The best thing is I get to do what wanted all along and that is to advance my technique instead of stuck in class where there were three different levels according to the teaher.

In class Wednesay night, things are coming back to me and I noticed once again if I get the technique down with more practice, I can not only advance, but be a very powerful dancer.

Don't get me wrong. I really like all of my teachers and I have learned a lot. The trick now is to keep coming to class to really advance my technique. Not only do I like ballet again, I getting back to loving it. So, I am getting back. All is positive again from my point of view. The next goal is to try to get to take more than one class a week.
By Guyenne
On Sun May 05, 2013 12:03 PM
brubie - do people change barre spots in that class after it starts or do they stay in one place? If it's the later, you could be "late" just enough so that they are stuck where they are, and you can pick a spot away from them. I don't know how that work out for the first combination for you, obviously it depends on what the class is like for that. Just another thought, that is less confrontational and hopefully less stressful.
By brubie
On Sun May 05, 2013 05:31 PM
Guyenne I'm going to try your suggestion....
By odile53
On Sun May 05, 2013 11:21 PM
Personally, I'd just ignore them. The more attention that is paid to bad behavior, the more it is reinforced. If the teacher is feeding into it, you've got a losing battle on your hands anyways. And there is no way I would let them know they are rattling my nerves, that just encourages them to keep it up. I know, it's tough to pull off, and we are supposed to be enjoying time in class (otherwise, why bother,) but the more attention that is paid to them, the worse they'll act. That seems to be an ubiquitous phenomenon when you have an attention-seeker in the mix.

The only way I mark out something is when I'm physically incapable of going full-bore out in it's execution.

I look at it this way: My money is just as green as theirs, and I have every bit as much of a right to be in the class (provided it's within my physical and technical ability) as they do. I'll be dipped in sheep dip if I let another STUDENT ruin my experience with whatever their ridiculous agenda is! And it seems the only way to do this is to "give no ground, take no prisoners," as they say in the army.

When they are ignored enough, they get tired of that and do something else.

Good luck with this, Brubie.

Update here: In the pool, I'm actually lifting my leg above the surface of the water with front and side leg lifts, while wearing three pound ankle weights. My core is killing me, but the definition is coming back. So I did a brief barre yesterday, at home, minus cambres (no sense in ruining Dr. Diva's work.) However, the constant tingling along my left thigh is driving me nuts: Even air currents can make it feel worse, as if both ends of the muscle were hooked up to a car battery.

I'm working on more balancing exercises: Occasionally, especially when changing direction rapidly, I feel as if I'm losing my balance. I've been making myself not use the cane while inside, and only outside on irregular surfaces.

Did two flights of stairs the other day with a normal step-through gait instead of a step-to gait. That was a big feat for me. I haven't been able to do that securely since before I got hurt.

Otherwise, just enjoying the nice weather, and sitting out in the sunshine a lot.
By brubie
On Mon May 06, 2013 05:42 AM
Odille between what you and Guyenne said I will try my best to ignore and not encourage the bad behavior. Sadly the teacher does play into and encourage it. Yesterday the only one he paid any attention to /corrected, was person x who is one of the people giving me a hard time. It was like it was her own private class. I'm smart enough and have been dancing long enough to know how to learn and benefit from corrections being give to others, however, this was constant. And she was the only one given any encouragement. I work d--- hard in class and he knows my work ethic (I've had private lessons with both he and his wife and he has commented on this) but I would appreciate some acknowledgement occasionally.

I am continuing to search for alternative classes, which is tough until summer when I'm not teaching 2 nights a week. My plan this week is to stand at the side barre on the wall, a place they never stand, and then as you wrote Odille, my money is a good as theirs ( in fact one of them doesn't even pay to take classes she works the desk) and go for it.
On Mon May 06, 2013 09:12 AM
rmdanceguy1 wrote:

Hey ladies! Just checking in with another update from me. I finally decided to change nights for my classes. I moved from Mondays to the advanced ballet class on Wednesdays. The teacher for the Monday night adult class was just too stressed with the wedding and the recital and everything to get a decent quality class. So, when she suggested I move to Wednesdays, I took her up on it. The teacher is with the SO and even though it is the advanced ballet class, I am keeping up so far. The best thing is I get to do what wanted all along and that is to advance my technique instead of stuck in class where there were three different levels according to the teaher.

In class Wednesay night, things are coming back to me and I noticed once again if I get the technique down with more practice, I can not only advance, but be a very powerful dancer.

Don't get me wrong. I really like all of my teachers and I have learned a lot. The trick now is to keep coming to class to really advance my technique. Not only do I like ballet again, I getting back to loving it. So, I am getting back. All is positive again from my point of view. The next goal is to try to get to take more than one class a week.

Rmdanceguy1 -

This is all fantastic news! So happy for you!

Yes, the trick is consistency. Ballet training requires it. Otherwise, you just seem to be going backwards, or not making as much progress as we'd all like!

I'm very pleased you're back in the groove! :P

Did two flights of stairs the other day with a normal step-through gait instead of a step-to gait. That was a big feat for me. I haven't been able to do that securely since before I got hurt.

Otherwise, just enjoying the nice weather, and sitting out in the sunshine a lot.

Odile -

Fantastic! Glad you're gaining strength and able to do all of the things mentioned. You're amazing and I'm sure you'll surpass all expectations in your recovery!

A huge cyber hug sent out to you!

brubie - do people change barre spots in that class after it starts or do they stay in one place? If it's the later, you could be "late" just enough so that they are stuck where they are, and you can pick a spot away from them. I don't know how that work out for the first combination for you, obviously it depends on what the class is like for that. Just another thought, that is less confrontational and hopefully less stressful.

Guyenne -

Absolutely brilliant suggestion! I'm all in your face, but then I'm in NY! What can I say? We have a reputation for being rude and confrontational and it's a language we all understand. Plus I'm a direct kind of person that uses quips and the like so it's extremely natural for me to do it. If you're shy and don't say anything in NY, nothing gets done unless someone else speaks out for you.

You really are DDN's McGyver! :P

All -

Thank you for your well wishes. Unfortunately, there was another complication. He was doing a little better, and wham! He has another infection. Please keep those prayers a'comin' because he really is very ill and in intensive care. I'm hoping my sister gets fabulous news on Mother's Day!
By Attitude1407
On Mon May 06, 2013 09:19 PM
Sylph, I'm so sorry to hear about your nephew! :( Sending prayers!
By rmdanceguy1
On Tue May 07, 2013 08:04 PM
I also am sorry for the news of your nephew, nysylph. Hope he is better soon. I am also sending prayers.
On Wed May 08, 2013 07:55 AM
All -

Unfortunately, my nephew passed away yesterday afternoon. I'm still a bit in shock.

But thanks for all the good wishes. They did and do help.
By brubie
On Wed May 08, 2013 08:00 AM
So incredibly sorry NYS, sending all the warm, comforting thoughts I can. Will also keep everyone in my thoughts and prayers.
By Serendipity42Premium member
On Wed May 08, 2013 09:54 AM
Oh Sylph! I'm so sorry!! You are in my prayers...
By Guyenne
On Wed May 08, 2013 10:13 AM
Sylph, sorry for your loss.
On Wed May 08, 2013 04:15 PM
Brubie, Serendipity and Guyenne -

Thank you so much for posting!

I know we don't "officially" know one another, but it is wonderfully supportive and does help.

Thanks so much.
By Attitude1407
On Wed May 08, 2013 09:51 PM
Oh no Sylph! I am so terribly sorry for your loss! :( Sending you cyber-hugs and comforting thoughts and prayers!
Page:
Page 111 of 118: 1 2 3 4 5 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118

ReplySendWatch