Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Adult Dancers

Page:
Page 112 of 118: 1 2 3 4 5 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118
re: Ouch! Took first pointe class in 20 years tonight!
By nycsylphmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu May 09, 2013 06:41 AM
Attitude -

Thank you so much! You're such a sweet person!

Cyber hugs back and thank you for that!
By rmdanceguy1
On Fri May 10, 2013 02:06 PM
I, too, am so sorry for your loss, NYCSylph.
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat May 11, 2013 12:42 AM
You have my sympathy. It is so especially sad when someone of a younger generation dies early. Not fair! Not fair!
On Sat May 11, 2013 01:33 PM
Rmdanceguy1 and Toroandbruin -

Thanks so much for the kind words.

It's so sweet of everyone to leave such nice messages. It helps when I read your thoughtful replies.

Cyber hugs to both of you.
By brubie
On Sat May 18, 2013 06:56 AM
Hope everyone is doing well.....my spring term (teaching) is will be over in another 4 weeks. Soon time for additional classes. Classes still aren't the greatest, well just a couple. However, I've found a new place for extra classes. The regular teacher, a nice person, is away for a couple of weeks, and the sub is a Russian teacher, looking forward to this. The same crap is going on in several of the classes. The same person who is being a pain, well for the second Thursday in a row, she and the teacher had an ongoing conversation for the first 20 minutes of barre. What still amuses me is that in the second class the teacher is awesome, focused and doesn't show favoritism. I know he is encouraging, enabling her, so there is little I can do about it. Fortunately there seem to be a couple of options for the summer. I'm hoping the Russian teacher at the other place works out, as he is teaching at another studio in the city as well.
On Sat May 18, 2013 01:18 PM
brubie wrote:

The same crap is going on in several of the classes. The same person who is being a pain, well for the second Thursday in a row, she and the teacher had an ongoing conversation for the first 20 minutes of barre. What still amuses me is that in the second class the teacher is awesome, focused and doesn't show favoritism. I know he is encouraging, enabling her, so there is little I can do about it. Fortunately there seem to be a couple of options for the summer. I'm hoping the Russian teacher at the other place works out, as he is teaching at another studio in the city as well.

Brubie -

Yes, this makes all the difference in the dynamics of the situation. There is nothing you can do if the teacher is playing into this.

I hope that this new teacher works out for you! Fingers crossed.

All -

Well, I've been fairly unable to concentrate so interviews were put off. And the recorder I used broke down and I needed to get a new one. Buying new one requires -- yes, concentration! At least long enough to reach a decision! :P

As for my book , I did work a bit on a giveaway for it. I actually asked Alinaismyidol to design a pair of pointe shoes for it and, oh, gosh, did they come out spectacular. Just received them today and in person they are stunning, stunning, stunning! Did I say stunning? I don't want to give them away! Anyway, here's a picture of them in case someone else is interested in having a decorative pair of shoes. She has a store that sells them and I'm sure can do something special if you ask. These follow the theme of the book which is supernatural/occult/scary! Wow, they just fit so well with the story!

I'm thrilled.

Image hotlink - 'http://blackadagio.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/pointeshoesbkgd.png?w=368&h=337'
By brubie
On Sat May 18, 2013 01:40 PM
Those shoes are awesome....really want them.....class today was good - first really good class in a couple of weeks.
By odile53
On Sun May 19, 2013 05:09 AM
Sylph, please accept my deepest condolences on the loss of your dear nephew. There is not much I can say, except I will pray for the repose of his soul at Mass later today, and will pray that you are comforted by your faith, family, friends, and happy memories of him. God bless you and your family.
By smileywomanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun May 19, 2013 04:26 PM
Hello everyone - I did a quick read of the posts that I've missed since last I was here.

Sylph, I'm so very sorry to hear about your nephew's passing. Meanwhile, I sent you a message via FaceBook...I think we got "disconnected."

Hug to all, and keep dancing.
On Mon May 20, 2013 01:14 PM
brubie wrote:

class today was good - first really good class in a couple of weeks.

Brubie -

So glad to hear that! It really lifts the spirits to have a good class.

Sylph, please accept my deepest condolences on the loss of your dear nephew. There is not much I can say, except I will pray for the repose of his soul at Mass later today, and will pray that you are comforted by your faith, family, friends, and happy memories of him. God bless you and your family.

Odile -

Thanks so much. It helps a lot to hear such comforting words.

And, yes, it's how I came to terms with this. He was very much a free spirit and liked to do things on his own. When I thought of him at peace, it gave me the closure I needed.

Sylph, I'm so very sorry to hear about your nephew's passing. Meanwhile, I sent you a message via FaceBook...I think we got "disconnected."

Maria -

Thanks so much. I appreciate the words.
By brubie
On Wed May 22, 2013 05:45 AM
An update, went back to the "new place" for class last night. Found out from a friend that a Russian teacher I had wanted to take class with was subbing. Well, when he started with reverance I knew it would be a good class, and it was. All the intensity of my current classes ( it isn't the actual classes I am frustrated with), but everyone, well mostly everyone, was given corrections, it was a "proper Russian class." I had forgotten how hard class can be, because for the past couple of weeks I've been so frustrated at my "old studio,"that I've barely been able to make it through the barre, in fact one Thursday I didn't. Class last night was everything my old classes use to be, without the drama.

The good thing is that this person will be subbing this week and next at this studio, and he is subbing at a studio close to where I work (there is a chance he may become the permanent instruction at this studio). Of course I know that no one is perfect, and I'm sure the new teacher isn't, none of us are. But I will enjoy classes with him this week and next, and continue to go to the Saturday class at my old studio, this class is phenomenal, and I don't intend to give it up.
On Sun May 26, 2013 09:51 AM
brubie wrote:

I had forgotten how hard class can be ... Class last night was everything my old classes use to be, without the drama.

Of course I know that no one is perfect, and I'm sure the new teacher isn't, none of us are. But I will enjoy classes with him this week and next, and continue to go to the Saturday class at my old studio, this class is phenomenal, and I don't intend to give it up.
ca

Brubie -

Very glad that things are working out for you.

As you said, no person, class or situation is perfect, but if any of those becomes such a distraction that you can't even do whatever activity you're signed on for, it's time to look for a new environment.
By brubie
On Fri May 31, 2013 05:49 AM
Thoughts: great class, teacher who is not attentive or good teacher, fairly easy class, but bad studio on creepy people, which would you choose.

Went to the old studio last night, same old crap, chatty teacher, lack of corrections to anyone but 1 or 2, I only did barre. What angers me is that the teacher is a good teacher. However, there are a couple of primma donnas, divas ( well that is what we call them in the singing world), who go across the floor multiple times, show off in class, and in general just think the class is all about them. Of course the teacher does encourage and enable, that is what makes me angry. What if frustrating is that the class itself is good, challenging. Just difficult enough to push, but not difficult enough to make it frustrating.

The new Russian teacher is good, but the studio is small, not well kept, and the floors....It is tough to generate energy in a class where there are only 5 people including the teacher. I don't want to continue to give the old studio $20.00 per class where I only take 1/2 of the class. But it isn't even so much the money, as the time. Just a bit frustrated this week.....
By brubie
On Sun Jun 02, 2013 01:54 PM
A really good class today....amazing what an acknowledgement that you've done something well is worth. A surprise, the husband usually teaches both classes Sunday, and today his wife taught the 2nd class. She is a bit tougher, more "old school." She happened to be watching my side of the room when I was standing on pointe, my right leg in passe. Her acknowledging me was something I've needed for a long time. Just a little recognition that I'm doing something right and that my hard work is paying off.
On Sun Jun 09, 2013 05:03 PM
brubie wrote:

Just a little recognition that I'm doing something right and that my hard work is paying off.

Brubie -

This is totally right, Brubie! Somebody does not have to be giving you a tonguebath, just a correction now and again and a congratulations when we do things right!

I had to laugh though. Did you ever have a teacher who never saw the good things, but ALWAYS turned around just in time to see you fall out of a turn or balance or do something else that was just plain wrong! I've had a couple like that. They must have a "wrong-o-meter" installed on them somewhere! It's like that's all they're programmed to see! I'd hit a balance and hold it for ten minutes (I wish!), but just when they turned, boom! I'd topple over! :P

I'm so happy for you, and sorry about the delay in answering.
By odile53
On Sun Jun 09, 2013 05:10 PM
nycsylph wrote:

brubie wrote:

Just a little recognition that I'm doing something right and that my hard work is paying off.

Brubie -

This is totally right, Brubie! Somebody does not have to be giving you a tonguebath, just a correction now and again and a congratulations when we do things right!

I had to laugh though. Did you ever have a teacher who never saw the good things, but ALWAYS turned around just in time to see you fall out of a turn or balance or do something else that was just plain wrong! I've had a couple like that. They must have a "wrong-o-meter" installed on them somewhere! It's like that's all they're programmed to see! I'd hit a balance and hold it for ten minutes (I wish!), but just when they turned, boom! I'd topple over! :P

I'm so happy for you, and sorry about the delay in answering.

The teacher with the Wrong-O-Meter sounds like my first ballet teacher (who I had for close to ten years.) Old Eagle Eye had eyes in the back of her head, I swear.
By brubie
On Sun Jun 09, 2013 05:33 PM
Love the support of this community....things change quickly....for reasons I won't go in to, some my fault and some the fault of my old studio, I've decided not to go back to my old studio,not even to my favorite/best class of the week, the Saturday am class. I am over the drama( some of it my own doing I admit, but not all) and mostly over feeling like everything I do and say is being watched and critiqued. This summer I am going to explore other classes and as I've indicated, found another Russian teacher who is a combination of the two teachers at the old studio. There are several options, and I may even try to get to a couple of classes in NYC. I've also started to take Pilates and a barre stretch & sculpt class at a yoga/Pilates studio close to my place. I went yesterday, and it was a pleasure to have a class where there was no drama, everyone was pleasant, not out to prove anything, and the teacher was hands on with everyone. I've dubbed this the summer of the core, working on strength, core ( and also my heart), along with eating better, and just trying to be a good person.

Suggestions of places/teachers to take class with in NYC are welcome. Anyone take class with Dawn Hillen?

I
By odile53
On Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:31 AM
brubie wrote:

Love the support of this community.... I've dubbed this the summer of the core, working on strength, core ( and also my heart), along with eating better, and just trying to be a good person.

I

Same here, Brubie, except I'm seeking promotion from the pool to the PT gym when I see the neurosurgeon on Thursday and get my six month xrays. I'm building a lot of leg and back strength, but the old abs just don't seem to be getting it in the water.

I need to be able to twist and flex at lumbar level 3-4 (since 4-5 is what was fused,) and have to have enough strength to keep stable at lumbar 1-4 so I don't risk degeneration or herniation there.

The psoas tingling is still driving me nuts, worst of all is sitting for protracted periods of time. The "charlie horses" have "subsided" into occasional stabbing pain, and occasionally my gait is affected from that.

So a long haul looks like it is entering the final stretch, but there's still plenty of distance to be covered.

On the bright side, my legs and butt are more defined than they were even with four days of class a week. Can't wait till I'm cleared for "land based:" Those battements are going to be pretty durned high (I hope.)
By brubie
On Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:36 AM
Odile, I will keep my fingers crossed and send good thoughts your way this week.
On Wed Jun 12, 2013 09:49 AM
odile53 wrote:

The teacher with the Wrong-O-Meter sounds like my first ballet teacher (who I had for close to ten years.) Old Eagle Eye had eyes in the back of her head, I swear.

Odile -

Yes, it's probably one in the same! I swear I don't know how they do it!

There was one teacher that caught me doing the most dreadful things. I'd be thinking, "Well, at least no one will see this," and then I'd look up and there was the teacher frowning and shaking his head. It was horrible! :P

On the bright side, my legs and butt are more defined than they were even with four days of class a week. Can't wait till I'm cleared for "land based:" Those battements are going to be pretty durned high (I hope.)

I can't wait either! I want to hear all about those first classes and live vicariously! *sigh*

{q]Love the support of this community....

Suggestions of places/teachers to take class with in NYC are welcome. Anyone take class with Dawn Hillen?

Brubie -

Yes, it is fantastic! Love DDNers! Well, really the ballet community in general. There are a few pills that one must pretend to swallow, but most are the most generous, beautiful, giving artists! It's a pleasure to be around them!

As for classes, I never took with Dawn Hillen. Where are you going to take with her? I would suggest Broadway Dance Center rather than Steps. Steps is overcrowded on its best days. If you were going to Steps, the person I'd recommend there is Kathryn Sullivan for a basic, adv. beg class. She gives great corrections and knows what she's doing, but her class is just ridiculously crowded so beware.

If you're going to take Dawn Hillen at Ballet Arts, then you should be fine. The studios are so ginormous that it's ridiculous. You'll never run out of room -- not even if you try! If I were you, I'd really go through the teachers there to see if you liked one since the space is so lovely and you know there'll be room.

Since I took a different level class, it's hard for me to assess. I know that Shirley Bassat at Ballet Academy East is a solid Adv. Beg. teacher. Is that the level class you need? Adv beg? Yes, Shirley Bassat is outstanding as is Julia Dubno (sp?) at the same school. They both have fabulous personalities and you won't run into any of what you found with the last teacher.

Alvin Ailey also has fabulous studios. It's a bit more competitive there and haven't taken in a while, but used to really enjoy the open classes there back in the day.
By Attitude1407
On Fri Jun 14, 2013 06:57 PM
Hi everyone! Thought I'd check in. I had the recital with the new studio and it went well... I was disappointed that the choreography turned out surprisingly simple and easy considering the intense classes this teacher gives us, but he's been very busy this year and his recital numbers apparently suffered as a result. They were still pretty though, and most of all I enjoyed the camaraderie with my fellow dancers and the chance to perform one more time in such a pleasant and supportive atmosphere. From now on, I won't perform unless it's in a professional situation. It was bittersweet, knowing I may not perform again (unless I get into the company I'm planning to audition for) and may not see those people again either. Unfortunately, they have the office manager from hell and they have strict rules about how many classes you have to take, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to go back next year.

I don't remember if I ever told you guys when it first started at the beginning of April, but I've had a mystery pain in my left foot that won't go away. (I think I told you about it then came back and said it got better, but I spoke too soon. It keeps recurring.) It's in the second metatarsal and I've been told it could possibly be a stress fracture - if not that, then possibly tendonitis. I've been doing research and can't find much information about second metatarsal area tendonitis, though. Have any of you had experience with that? I'm trying to figure out how I can distinguish between a stress fracture and tendonitis, other than going to a doctor and getting an x-ray like people have been telling me to do. :P
By odile53
On Fri Jun 14, 2013 08:23 PM
I tried to write a rather long explanation concerning the second metatarsal pain, but the short answer is that in the absence of an xray there really is no way of accurately diagnosing it. The pain may be due to several things: a slightly misaligned and now healed fracture, tendinitis, a Morton's neuroma that formed at the site of injury, or another nerve impingement.

Some questions to ask yourself are: When the pain flares up, is it as bad as when you first experienced it? Has the quality of the pain changed over time (i.e., aching versus sharp, stabbing, or burning? Is there any tingling involved? Can you see a deformity at that spot? Is the pain in one place, or does it radiate? When does it occur (can you correlate it with a time of day, or with specific activities?) How badly does it bother both your everyday activities and how badly does it impair your ability to dance? Tell your physician or podiatrist the answer to these questions.

Since you've been functioning with this more or less since April, there's no need to go to an emergency room to get xrays taken: Your doctor can refer you to an imaging center, or perhaps has the equipment in his or her office.

Be advised of this: Most doctors tend to formulate their diagnoses and treatment options based on what will get you back to normal activity, and they don't consider ballet "normal" under most circumstances. Stress to the doctor that you are planning to audition for a ballet company, and that this is a career choice as opposed to recreation.

I'm making the statement in my last paragraph based on what Dr. Diva just asked me yesterday: "Odile, do you still stretch like a crazy person?"

Not wanting a repeat performance of his perioperative lecture to me, naturally, I lied through my teeth!
By Attitude1407
On Fri Jun 14, 2013 08:45 PM
Edited by Attitude1407 (186517) on 2013-06-14 21:25:59
odile53 wrote:

I'm making the statement in my last paragraph based on what Dr. Diva just asked me yesterday: "Odile, do you still stretch like a crazy person?"

Not wanting a repeat performance of his perioperative lecture to me, naturally, I lied through my teeth!

LOL! This cracked me up. Stretching like a crazy person... Yep! That's we do! ;)

odile53 wrote:

Some questions to ask yourself are: When the pain flares up, is it as bad as when you first experienced it? Has the quality of the pain changed over time (i.e., aching versus sharp, stabbing, or burning? Is there any tingling involved? Can you see a deformity at that spot? Is the pain in one place, or does it radiate? When does it occur (can you correlate it with a time of day, or with specific activities?) How badly does it bother both your everyday activities and how badly does it impair your ability to dance? Tell your physician or podiatrist the answer to these questions.

Hmm... I would say it's just as bad if not worse when it flares up, although it's not as constant as it was in the beginning. Quality of pain has always been sharp (kind of sickeningly so) during flare-ups and kind of aching at other times. No tingling and no visual deformity, although after a class I can sometimes detect slight swelling or purplish color on the joint, underneath the tendon that runs along the top. The pain is concentrated in the second metatarsal joint, but can radiate during flare-ups. It's affected most by running, jumping, and by rolling up and down in pointe shoes, but during flare-ups it can even hurt in plies and releves in flat shoes. Everyday activities aren't affected except that running and jogging are an issue, and I sometimes walk with a limp after class. It has, unfortunately, significantly impaired my ability to dance en pointe. Fouette turns en pointe are one of the worst triggers for pain.

I hate going to doctors and really don't want to, but I'm afraid I might have to, if I can't resolve this on my own. :(
By brubie
On Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:11 PM
Update: tried a new class, Russian teacher ( woman) uber small class, but good studio space. Class was easy, but hard, hopefully that makes sense. She does private lessons which is awesome. And she complimented me, told me that she knew I had good training, which makes me very happy. This class is only once a week, but close to work, so I could most likely fit it in to my summer work schedule. She teaches at another studio, but is more tricky and less convenient. I may do this class and a private lesson. I'm also going to another new place this evening, it is supposed to be a beginner/intermediate class and is only 5 weeks.

I've been taking an intro pilates mat class and a barre sculpt class ( so hard) and love them both.....This summer has potential to be good. I've decided this is the summer of working on my core, trying new places/things, & "going with the flow." Class drama is poison. Sending good thoughts to everyone.....
On Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:52 AM
brubie wrote:

Class drama is poison. Sending good thoughts to everyone.....

Brubie -

So happy to hear about your progress with finding new teachers/situations. It seems it's all good out there.

And if everyone who gets in these very needless tussles learns the above, than it's all worth it.

We're going to class to learn and this kind of stress diverts attention from the purpose of dancing. I definitely couldn't have said it any better than this!
Page:
Page 112 of 118: 1 2 3 4 5 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118

ReplySendWatch