Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Adult Dancers

Page:
Page 113 of 118: 1 2 3 4 5 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118
re: Ouch! Took first pointe class in 20 years tonight!
By Attitude1407
On Mon Jun 24, 2013 09:14 PM
brubie wrote:

Class drama is poison. Sending good thoughts to everyone.....

So true! And thanks for passing around the good thoughts, I know we all can use some. :)

Happy update - the mystery foot injury is getting better. I think, since the year ended at one studio and I've had less than half the class time I had before, it's improved a lot. I pulled off 16 counts of fouettes en pointe a few days ago, and it didn't hurt then, though it was a bit sore again on flat in my next class. Definitely an improvement, though!

I'm also once again debating what pointe shoe I should get. I've been wearing Capezio Aria but it's too square, and very soft, although for some weird reason it works well on my feet. Should I try the Capezio Tiffany next (more tapered than the Aria) or just go back to Grishko already??
By Serendipity42Premium member
On Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:29 PM
Do you have Aria in regular or hard shank? If regular, try hard shank next. Tiffany doesn't even compare to Aria. I am using Aria now, too, and yes, it's a bit soft in the shank (3/4 shank, btw) but is working beautifully on my feet.

If you had a good shoe, though, with Grishko, why did you change?
By brubie
On Wed Jun 26, 2013 06:08 AM
Update: found a couple of wonderful classes, last night I went to one that is definitely more intermediate,faster than the others. I think I can learn and grow there. Tonight I'll go back to one I went to last Wednesday, it was a good class, but center a bit too basic and slow. I emailed the teacher and asked if it was ok to wear my pointe shoes for barre, she said it was fine. Now I have to sew the new shoes....The pilates and barre sculpt classes are going well, tough but I really like them ( doesn't hurt that the teacher is someone I know and is good at his job).

Now I have to think about where to start private lessons: 3 options: Russian male at a crappy studio space, Russian female at an ok studio space but she is only there once a week, or at a third space which is great space, but teacher someone I'm not as familiar with.
By Attitude1407
On Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:38 PM
Serendipity, I have the regular shank, but I don't really care about the shank. I was referring to the box being soft. It's a nice, supportive box, but gets a bit mushy pretty quick. I got away from Grishko because while they were a pain (literally) to break in, I would kill them really fast. They had a way of breaking badly at the metatarsal area. I've come to realize that nothing is going to last longer than Grishko anyway - except of course for Gaynors, which consistently give me bruised toenails - so durability is kind of a moot point by now. (Well, Blochs never die for me because my feet abhor them and can't work with them, but that defeats the purpose...) I like the feel of the Capezio, I'm just not happy with the Aria being a bit too square, making it necessary to stuff cotton or lambswool in the box all the time. I had tried on the Tiffany and loved it - it felt like a perfect glove fit - but it was out of stock when I needed shoes. What do you mean about it not comparing to the Aria?
On Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:41 PM
I have weird feet. I can wear Aria but not Tiffany. I figured if yours were also like mine, then you might have the same problem. The box on my aria doesn't get very soft but it does widen, which causes me problems. It happens in all the paste shoes I use. Tiffanys wouldn't let me roll up or down due to the vamp. No trouble with aria on that.

But you might want to try the harder shank once, anyway. I say this because sometimes when they put a harder shank in, the box is also "hardened" so to speak.

The other day, I had to wear a gaynor on my right foot and the aria on the left, because the left foot was too swollen up from classes to fit in the gaynor, and my right aria shoe died.... It was an interesting experience!!
By rmdanceguy1
On Fri Jun 28, 2013 09:31 PM
Edited by rmdanceguy1 (145782) on 2013-06-28 21:36:32
Edited by rmdanceguy1 (145782) on 2013-06-28 21:42:33
Hey, just thought I would check in. My classes are on hiatus until after July 4th.Happy July 4th holiday! Be safe!

Talk about drama! There is a lot of drama going on at my studio. Probably the opposite of the class drama you all have been dealing with lately. Every year after the recital, the studio does a lot of changes. This year there are many more changes with teachers getting married and coming and going. I have had my fair share with class drama even though it is a little different with me being a guy.

The last few weeks gave me time to reflect. Even though the SO promised to work with me to get back what I lost in my off periods, I feel as though I am at a cross roads. I have a lot to think about.

I realized I have been taking classes off and on for eight years primarily in one studio. I did make some good contacts and connections. I would also like to participate in a year end show, but that is more of a personal situation as well. Sometimes, I do not know if I am being taken seriously or as serious as an adult student can be. Any advice? Is it possible to come to class so often to become a fixture? Some recognition would be nice as well, but I guess that would come if I did a show.

Attitude: With your foot situation, to be safe you may want to get it checked out by a good podiatrist. This way you will know if dancing on it will or will not make it worse.
By Attitude1407
On Fri Jun 28, 2013 09:59 PM
Serendipity, I notice the widening too but that does happen in all paste shoes... I think the only way to avoid problems with that is to buy your shoes a little on the narrow side, if you can. I always have the issue of wide metatarsals and bunions vs. compressible feet and tapered toes... Which to accommodate?!
That's odd that the vamp of the Tiffany would interfere when it's shorter than the vamp of the Aria. Is it more of a V-cut? Is it harder?
Whoa, Gaynor and Aria are two very different shoes! That must have been an interesting experience indeed! :O

Rmdanceguy - thank you, but it's been a lot better since I've given it some rest, so I think I can get away with avoiding the doctor. ;) I'll be on a little break for the summer now too.
May I ask what age range of adult dancer you are? That might influence how teachers perceive you... Also what do you mean about becoming a fixture? Do you mean that in a good way or a bad way?
By rmdanceguy1
On Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:19 PM
Edited by rmdanceguy1 (145782) on 2013-06-28 23:29:00
Edited by rmdanceguy1 (145782) on 2013-06-28 23:46:30
Edited by rmdanceguy1 (145782) on 2013-06-29 00:08:43
Well, I started when I was in my mid 30's. It was the SO who was teaching at another studio at the time who finally got me to attend her classes as we e-mailed each other before I decided to try classes.

What I mean by a fixture is maybe both ways. I made connections, but not as many as I have hoped. A fixture in maybe as someone who is just there taking classes and no one asking what my intentions were. I stopped volunteering as an usher for the recitals as I felt strange being around and not on stage. I felt out of place. A fixture in that I am always there and maybe spent too much time in one studio.

Let me explain a little. When I started, there were more adults taking classes. Things happened and most of them left leaving just me and a few adults coming to class. Sometimes as little as just me and another adult lady attending class from week to week. The rest were higher placed teenage girls in class to make a full class to make the adult classes work.

One teacher missed a little as to why I was taking classes. She told me this when we talked as she said she talked to the SO about me and which class I should take when she walked me out of the adult class because I was too late for the recital choreography that night in March.

By nycsylphmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jun 29, 2013 06:11 PM
brubie wrote:

Now I have to think about where to start private lessons: 3 options: Russian male at a crappy studio space, Russian female at an ok studio space but she is only there once a week, or at a third space which is great space, but teacher someone I'm not as familiar with.

Brubie -

Honestly, I would go with the best teacher for you and forget about the space. Unless he space was so horrendous as to be dangerous, I always made my decisions on the teacher. I keep saying that the best teacher I ever had was at the dinkiest, most run down horrible studio in NYC! But I grew to love the walls with the peeling paint because of her.

I realized I have been taking classes off and on for eight years primarily in one studio. I did make some good contacts and connections. I would also like to participate in a year end show, but that is more of a personal situation as well. Sometimes, I do not know if I am being taken seriously or as serious as an adult student can be. Any advice? Is it possible to come to class so often to become a fixture? Some recognition would be nice as well, but I guess that would come if I did a show.

RMdanceguy1 -

You may very well not be taken seriously because you're an adult. It's a common enough problem and something you should consider if you have aspirations.

I think talking to the SO and teacher about exactly what they expect and what you expect would be a start. And pin them down to specifics so that you know if they're blowing smoke up your tights or not. For instance, if you want to be in next year's recital, ask specifically: (1) If there's a real chance for you to be included; (2) What you specifically have to do be included; (3) What will happen if you follow the gameplan and are not included. This covers all the bases. Again, it's an example.

The thing is that adult students do pay the same money as everyone else, but if there isn't a plan for them, they (we) can only hope to take class and progress through regular attendance. If you don't open our mouths and find out what everybody's expectations are for us, well, we get stuck in the same game plan as everyone other adult attending which is (a) take class (b) do it regularly (c) improve or (d) take it recreationally or for exercises and receive those benefits.

Definitely pin the teachers/SO down. I believe you posted that this was the only class you could take? Or is that not true anymore. If this isn't true, then you can always look around. And, yes, you can become a fixture. If you're paying money every week and showing up for class, well, yes, if you never say anything, they'll get the idea you enjoy the classes and that's that.

It's dicey because as dancers we don't want to be aggressive with teachers or SO, but you at some point have to figure out what's going on -- especially if you have aspirations. You know that clock is ticking away! :P

Also if there are other performances being given like The Nutcracker, at other studios, why not try out? It won't be the same as having a solo, but you know, it would be fun and be great experience.

Before I did anything, since you've invested this much time in this studio, I would try talking to them one more time. Give them another chance and if it doesn't work out, then you know what you have to do if you want something other than regular classes.

Hope this helps! And I do admire you for sticking with this. It's a lot of work and takes a great deal of determination. It sounds like you're going through is a bit like what happened at to this gentleman at the last place I took classes. The one teacher that he took from treated him shabbily. He was even taking private lessons from her! And the female students were horrible to him. Ironically enough, one of the teachers there (that only teachers advanced classes) helped him out. The teacher has a small company, and this gentleman, who'll we'll call Stan went to the teacher and asked if he could be in one of his productions. It turned out he was staging this sort of musical/ballet number and guess who got a part? :P That would be Stan! The girls that made trouble for him were so mad, and I was so happy. He worked so hard and there he was with this professional teacher who actually used to dance with the Royal Ballet and he got what he wanted!

Can't say that'll happen, but it's an inspiration to anyone in that situation and an example that sometimes unexpected people will help you and that, yes, sometimes you have to look elsewhere.
By rmdanceguy1
On Thu Jul 04, 2013 06:28 PM
Thanks for the advice Sylph. I really appreciate it. The thing is I like the studio although if there are not enough adults I start to feel out of place with all the kids around. I think I did become a fixture. There is some personal matters going on as well.

I realized I may be at a crossroads when to avoid taking a class that had a number in the recital I had to move to an SO taught class advanced ballet class. Once I moved to that class, I realized they may not be moving the adults past a certain point that they take the kids. Not to say that I still need things to work on in class or to re-learn what I may have forgotten in my off times.

The results of what I expected may or may not have been produced. I used the class for tne workout(one good class I could drop 5 pounds), but now I think I want a little more. I want to advance, but realize the best I can do is a year end recital.
By rmdanceguy1
On Wed Jul 10, 2013 08:28 PM
Update: I talked with the SO about possibily doing the recital next year. She said it would be a great goal to do next year's recital. Obviously, I am not committing to it yet as I would like to know where I am at that point in timein terms of technique and other concerns. So, I started to pin her down.
By Attitude1407
On Wed Jul 10, 2013 09:37 PM
Sorry I've been out of touch for a while. I got sick last week and I've been trying to catch up on some things.

Rmdanceguy, that's good that you talked to the SO and seemed to have a positive outcome. I see what you mean about being a fixture. Sometimes you need to speak up, change your routine, do something to break out of the established mindset your teachers have for you. Keep training and keep trying!

To all... I FINALLY got that Capezio Tiffany!!! I've been lusting over it since last summer and I finally bought that darn thing. I went to the store today, tried it on and it just felt perfect. I'm excited to see how these go!
On Thu Jul 11, 2013 07:55 AM
rmdanceguy1 wrote:

Update: I talked with the SO about possibily doing the recital next year. She said it would be a great goal to do next year's recital. Obviously, I am not committing to it yet as I would like to know where I am at that point in timein terms of technique and other concerns. So, I started to pin her down.

rmdanceguy1 -

Fantastic! It's a great start and a place to work from.

Remember to get specifics along the way. In other words, if she says to improve, ask what? If she says pirouettes, ask her what she means. Steadier turns? Coming out of it smoothly, etc. Then follow-up on these specifics. In two months, ask her if whatever she named is improving. If not, why isn't it still good enough, etc.?

I was thinking about this in another way and it's this, as adult dancers, it's up to us to take the bull by the horns and go after what we want. Teachers definitely can't read our mind (but they sure can catch all our mistakes! :} Why?} So to talk about goals and feel teachers/SO out about being included in recitals/performances may be a little uncomfortable, but we owe it to ourselves to do it if that's our goal. Very often there isn't a place for it yet in the school's system, but even presenting the idea opens it up as a possibility, and then will turn it into a reality.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

To all... I FINALLY got that Capezio Tiffany!!! I've been lusting over it since last summer and I finally bought that darn thing. I went to the store today, tried it on and it just felt perfect. I'm excited to see how these go!

Attitude -

First, sorry you were so sick and I'm glad you're feeling better.

Next, so happy about your new shoes! I'm dying to hear how they turn out! I like how you keep searching for the shoe that's just right for you. It takes a while, but it'll be worth it when you find it!

Fingers crossed for you!
By brubie
On Fri Jul 12, 2013 08:12 AM
Shall I assume that I had a good class if the accompanist compliments me? I took class a a new places, well I've been there a couple of times in the past 3 months, and after class while waiting for the bus home, I ran into the guy who played piano for class, an he complimented me. I was on cloud 9.....hopefully it is an omen....
On Fri Jul 12, 2013 02:35 PM
brubie wrote:

Shall I assume that I had a good class if the accompanist compliments me?

Brubie -

Uhm, yes! :}

Sure sounds like a compliment to me.

Congrats!!!
By Attitude1407
On Sun Jul 14, 2013 07:39 PM
I'm almost done sewing the Tiffany's but I don't know when I'm going to try them out, because the only class I have for the summer is an advanced/pro ballet technique class, pointe shoes totally optional and not at all geared toward breaking in new pointe shoes. Not a class where I want to try out a new model of shoe, especially since the teacher has his own company that I want to join, so I'm trying to look good in every class. ;)

I made a little discovery about the Tiffany... It appears to have a pitched platform! No wonder it feels so perfect on my feet! I have this crazy banana curve to my foot so my toes do NOT meet the floor at a 90-degree angle, and normally I'm pushing over the box and breaking the shoe at the metatarsal. With the pitched platform, my foot is supported in its natural alignment without any forcing. YAY! I'm excited to see how this translates to performance!
On Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:09 AM
Edited by nycsylph (206174) on 2013-07-17 10:11:08 Typos
Attitude1407 wrote:

I made a little discovery about the Tiffany... It appears to have a pitched platform! No wonder it feels so perfect on my feet! I have this crazy banana curve to my foot so my toes do NOT meet the floor at a 90-degree angle, and normally I'm pushing over the box and breaking the shoe at the metatarsal. With the pitched platform, my foot is supported in its natural alignment without any forcing. YAY! I'm excited to see how this translates to performance!

Attitude -

This sounds exactly what that Freed maker "B" (for banana foot :P) does! I should have sent those shoes right to you because my feet do not have any crazy curves going on. Have no idea what I did with them. Might have pitched them right on their pitched platform.

As for when to try out the Tiffany's, do you wear your pointe shoes at the barre? If you do, and there's time to change, I might give them a go at the barre to see how they're working. If you're not sure, you can switch shoes in between the barre and the center. There's usually a few minute break to get water, scream and get hysterical in the ladies room, or just stick pins in your thigh wondering why you're putting yourself through this torture.

But we all know that already. It's 'cause we love ballet! :P

Oh, but the shoes. Yes, you could break them in pretty easily this way ... by wearing them at the barre a few times.

My fingers are crossed for you!
By rmdanceguy1
On Sat Jul 20, 2013 02:08 PM
Hey, just checking in again. Had the best class I have had in while last week. It seems as though the goals for the summer session are low. I hope to shore up what I may have lost in myh off periods. But, as I said, I want to advance. The adult classes seem stagnant as there are always different levels all of the time.

I have been thinking about the recital should I participate this next year. For an adult pas de deux is it a requirement the lady is en pointe? The reason I ask is I do not believe there are that many adult women who can go en pointe and would want to do the recital in my adult class. I am sure the SO would solve that if it does not fall through like the last time I almost did a pas de deux in a recital. The last time, I had two women who wanted me to partner them.

I may have to go back to pick up more classes with my second studio who is actually a relativley new ballet school supporting a small local ballet company/theater. There they are definitely short on men to dance and I would love to dance a male role in one of their local productions.

Thank you Sylph and Attitude. I really appreciate the advice and support. One thing I love about ballet, is the ladies I have met have been very supportive of me dancing.

Attitude: Glad you are feeling better. Congrats on the shoes!

Being a guy, men do not get pointe training. I admire you ladies for what you go through. I think you ladies are so beautiful. You make it look effortless.
On Sun Jul 21, 2013 03:32 PM
Okay, all...been quiet due to the "jinx" factor but I must say I attended a really awesome ballet workshop over the past 3weeks. It was that GBA one in Florida. They had teachers from all over, mostly Russian Vaganova. One of the teachers was at school with a young Baryshnikov! I saw their class picture!

My body held up well enough but I wasn't stupid. If I needed to rest, I rested, missed a class or two or opted out of some activities. There were pros taking the classes, as well (what fun to watch!). I loved it and feel I really improved! The overall student quality was reasonable. This was the school's first ever intensive and I must say it was incredibly well run for a first time effort.

It was an amazing experience!
By brubie
On Sun Jul 21, 2013 03:50 PM
So glad to read that you had a good experience at the SI Serendipity, it gives me hope to continue to look for a school where adults are treated with respect and as serious students. One of the new schools I've taken classes at this summer has a superb, strong kids/pre-pro program. I am thinking about approaching the director to see whether or not I could take class Thursday evenings with the kids, there is a pointe class directly after which I really want to take, consistency, hum.....
By balletgirl981
On Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:10 PM
Is that really safe if you haven't done pointe in a while
On Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:35 AM
balletgirl981 wrote:

Is that really safe if you haven't done pointe in a while

Hi balletgirl981 -

Thanks for joining the party.

Just dropped into say Brubie has been taking pointe lessons. This is from what I understand in reading her posts so it hasn't been years that she's been away from it. And Brubie is absolutely right in checking to see if: (1) It's okay and (2) To see if the level is something she can handle.

Will post a reply to the others who've commented when I get a chance.
By brubie
On Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:20 PM
NYS is right, and thanks for responding...I have been taking private pointe lessons, and also take intro/beginner classes wearing my pointe shoes. So I haven't been "away from it." There is a dedicated pointe class I'd like to add this fall as my current studio doesn't offer one. I guess no more classes at the studio with the crappy floors, the regular teacher ( one I don't like and don't respect) is back from his hiatus, so I don't have that studio as an option. C'est la vie.....I may actually go back to my old studio (long story that is found in earlier posts) to the Saturday am class with my ultimate favorite teacher. I"m also thinking about private lessons with her ( I've done' them with her before) , a lesson before the Saturday am class, then class, and Pilates at the new place. Definitely don't think I'll go back to the old studio for all my classes. More later...
By Attitude1407
On Mon Jul 29, 2013 09:32 PM
The pop-up ads are making it annoying and difficult to get on DDN lately - sometimes my antivirus software closes out the website completely because it deems it unsafe!

Rmdanceguy, if it's just an informal adult pas de deux for recital, there's really no rule that the lady has to be en pointe... Of course it's preferable, but with school recitals, you take what you can get!

To all - I tried out those Tiffany pointe shoes! I ended up wearing them for the whole class... People were telling me I was brave, LOL. The pitched platform turned out interesting. It gave me wonderful balance when I could control my crazy feet, but my left foot would start to overstretch and bend in half when I had to stay up on it too long! In pirouettes, though, I had this amazing hovering feeling and found myself whipping out triples repeatedly (en dehors on the left foot). I felt like I could've stayed there and kept turning if my foot didn't start to overstretch by the end of the third revolution. Definitely need to work on strengthening... I never felt such a burn in the front of my ankle from overstretching and straining to pull up! I do love the shoes, though! It's not often I can pull off triple pirouettes multiple times the first time I wear a new pair of pointe shoes!
On Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:51 AM
rmdanceguy1 wrote:

For an adult pas de deux is it a requirement the lady is en pointe? The reason I ask is I do not believe there are that many adult women who can go en pointe and would want to do the recital in my adult class. I am sure the SO would solve that if it does not fall through like the last time I almost did a pas de deux in a recital. The last time, I had two women who wanted me to partner them.

Rmdanceguy1 -

Attitude is correct. (Isn't she always? :P) A woman does not have to be on pointe. I've seen them barefooted, in slippers and in character shoes when dancing to something like old show tunes. It's still very lovely and there is no set formula.

I may have to go back to pick up more classes with my second studio who is actually a relativley new ballet school supporting a small local ballet company/theater. There they are definitely short on men to dance and I would love to dance a male role in one of their local productions.

Then I say go for it! What's holding you back from trying? You just never know. We obviously can't evaluate your skill level, but for productions they sometimes need someone to play a specific character role and you may be a perfect fit. Plus enthusiasm and a good attitude play into things. Just do it. :P

Okay, all...been quiet due to the "jinx" factor but I must say I attended a really awesome ballet workshop over the past 3weeks. It was that GBA one in Florida. They had teachers from all over, mostly Russian Vaganova. One of the teachers was at school with a young Baryshnikov! I saw their class picture!

Serendipity -

It does sound like an amazing experience and glad you found this intensive. Maybe other adults looking for one can file this away and perhaps give it a shot next year.

It's nice to have teachers with this sort of pedigree. Gives a nice atmosphere and lends credibility to their skill level.

I do understand that jinx factor. It often strikes me down as well, but glad you're back!

The pop-up ads are making it annoying and difficult to get on DDN lately - sometimes my antivirus software closes out the website completely because it deems it unsafe!

Attitude -

I so agree! They are extremely irritating.

To all - I tried out those Tiffany pointe shoes! I ended up wearing them for the whole class... People were telling me I was brave, LOL. The pitched platform turned out interesting. ... In pirouettes, though, I had this amazing hovering feeling and found myself whipping out triples repeatedly (en dehors on the left foot). I felt like I could've stayed there and kept turning if my foot didn't start to overstretch by the end of the third revolution. Definitely need to work on strengthening

They sound promising. I do agree about strengthening the foot because it sounds like you're not having the strength to hold back a bit from going too far over. The thing is that if you have this kind of balance, this kind of platform is for you. Perhaps the Tiffany will ultimately not be the shoe for you, but maybe it's just a pitched platform that you need to look for.

I would definitely stick with the Tiffany's though and see how it goes. It seems like you're handling them -- except for that one problem. I'm actually excited for you. It's nice to have this kind of breakthrough, and the fact you wore them straight through on the first day is a fabulous omen!

Fingers crossed that you've found "the" shoe!

And congrats on those triples! :P
Page:
Page 113 of 118: 1 2 3 4 5 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118

ReplySendWatch