Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Adult Dancers

Page:
Page 114 of 118: 1 2 3 4 5 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118
re: Ouch! Took first pointe class in 20 years tonight!
By Guyenne
On Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:57 AM
I do feel a little guilty using this blocker on Dance.net, but sometimes the ads are overwhelming and it's possible to turn it on and off per-site if you need to, as well as just leave it on all the time.

adblockplus.org . . .
By Attitude1407
On Thu Aug 01, 2013 08:46 PM
nycsylph wrote:

They sound promising. I do agree about strengthening the foot because it sounds like you're not having the strength to hold back a bit from going too far over. The thing is that if you have this kind of balance, this kind of platform is for you. Perhaps the Tiffany will ultimately not be the shoe for you, but maybe it's just a pitched platform that you need to look for.

I would definitely stick with the Tiffany's though and see how it goes. It seems like you're handling them -- except for that one problem. I'm actually excited for you. It's nice to have this kind of breakthrough, and the fact you wore them straight through on the first day is a fabulous omen!

Fingers crossed that you've found "the" shoe!

And congrats on those triples! :P

Thank you! :]

I played around with the shoes at home and figured out the burning feeling may have also been from pulling up out of the shoe... I think with the shape of the shoe accommodating the shape of my foot, not only does that mean my foot is fully stretched but I'm also able to pull up better than before! Normally with Grishko's, my foot pushes over and breaks the shoe and I eventually lose stability and control. I don't think my foot really arches correctly. I think what I'm experiencing now is my feet finally being worked optimally... And right now it burns the heck out of my left foot! It must be a bit weak, and that's not surprising either, coming off a few months of mysterious chronic pain in that foot. I'm excited, though! It's onward and upward from here!
By rmdanceguy1
On Sat Aug 03, 2013 08:29 PM
Update: I contacted the ballet school and they said they would love to have me back to class and are always looking for male dancers for their productions. The first production would the Nutcracker on December. Thanks, Sylph. We'll see.
By nycsylphmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:25 AM
Attitude1407 wrote:

I think with the shape of the shoe accommodating the shape of my foot, not only does that mean my foot is fully stretched but I'm also able to pull up better than before! ... It must be a bit weak, and that's not surprising either, coming off a few months of mysterious chronic pain in that foot. I'm excited, though! It's onward and upward from here!

Attitude,

That's true. You did have that injury so I'm sure that's a factor.

I just think those multiple turns in a new pair of shoes is a really good sign. I'm just super excited to see how this goes!

Update: I contacted the ballet school and they said they would love to have me back to class and are always looking for male dancers for their productions. The first production wouldthe Nutcracker on December. Thanks, Sylph. We'll see.

Rmdanceguy1 -

Woo hoo!!! :P

I am doing a happy dance right now!

You never know until you try and you did try. Good on you! And doing The Nutcracker would be stupendous and add a whole new dimension to your training. I think it would be a fabulous opportunity to learn and grow and take part in a production.

My fingers, toes, and pink ballet ribbons are crossed for you!

:P
On Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:49 PM
Guyenne wrote:

I do feel a little guilty using this blocker on Dance.net, but sometimes the ads are overwhelming and it's possible to turn it on and off per-site if you need to, as well as just leave it on all the time.

adblockplus.org . . .

Guyenne -

Sorry, I missed replying to you.

Thanks for the link. I'll definitely check this out!
By brubie
On Fri Aug 09, 2013 05:54 PM
Hoping for a little friendly advice, suggestions.... at the beginning of the summer, I stopped going to my old studio (for reasons I won't go in to here). I've been doing Pilates, a barre class, and taking ballet classes at a couple of new studios. I've had positive experiences at the new places. My old studio is moving locations (actually closer to my apartment), I am thinking of going to take a class at the old studio Sunday, before the move,because I have such awesome memories ( mostly) and would like one last opportunity to take class before the change. Part of me really want to go, part of me fells like I should either wait until after the move, and start fresh, or not go back at all.

There hasn't been any drama at the new studios, I am treated well, and teacher compliment my good training. But I miss the Saturday am class, my favorite, and being pushed by this teacher. My thoughts for the fall have been to continue the Pilates classes, classes at 1 of the new studios, and take the Saturday am class (intermediate) and Sunday (beginner) at the old studio. I think that before I commit to more than 1 new studio, I should try a class at the old studio. If the old feelings of inadequacy & frustration come back, I'll know not to go back. The great thing is that I have a class card from the old studio with 5 classes, so I can use up the 5 classes and then decide.
Thoughts, advice, speculation.....at least I have another 6 weeks before I need to get my fall schedule together.
On Fri Aug 09, 2013 09:20 PM
brubie wrote:

Hoping for a little friendly advice, suggestions.... I am thinking of going to take a class at the old studio Sunday,

There hasn't been any drama at the new studios, I am treated well, and teacher compliment my good training. But I miss the Saturday am class, my favorite, and being pushed by this teacher.
Thoughts, advice, speculation.....at least I have another 6 weeks before I need to get my fall schedule together.

Brubie -

Wasn't the Sunday class the one with the male teacher where all the trouble was going on?

I wouldn't go back to that class. Why would you? You just stated that you've had no drama and positive feedback.

I remember you saying that the female teacher was the one you liked. And that she didn't really play into things like her husband was it?

I might try her class, but not his. If it was only the student that was the problem, it would be different. I wouldn't necessarily fault him because of her, but he was totally playing along.

Nope, wouldn't do it.

If you wanted to use up the card, I'd only go the the teacher that pushed me and had my best interests at heart.
By brubie
On Sun Aug 11, 2013 01:16 PM
NYSylph you are 100% correct, and I don't plan on going back to the Sunday am class (maybe and only maybe, the Sunday afternoon beginner class).....I'm not going to go back to the old studio full time or for as many classes as I have done in the past. The only reason class I am really interested in taking is the Saturday am class and that is because I always got something out of it, and the teacher is amazing. I also don't want other people to intimidate me out of doing something I want to do. I want to go back because I love the class, miss some of the people, and yes, it is the most difficult class I have taken ( would take).

I found other places to take class, where I'm comfortable, treated well, I have 5 classes left on a class card for the old studio ( never really expires you just have to pay an additional fee). I am also a bit limited during the academic year as to when I can take class, and the Saturday am class at the old studio fits with my new schedule. Believe me I won't go back for more than 1 or 2 per week, and if I feel the least bit uncomfortable or frustrated I won't go back at all. I actually passed the one of the people who was giving me a hard time on the sidewalk this morning ( I was coming from Pilates, she was on her way to class) and she gave me the same smirky smile she gave me all the time in class Sadly after 3 months nothing has changed. Rather than let it ruin my day, I took myself out to brunch, then sat in the park and meditated and enjoyed the parade of humanity....

This summer has been a learning experience, I've learned there are places where I am treated well, corrected, and feel like I am welcome. I don't have to go back to the old studio at all. I have options, and the Pilates is the best thing I've done for myself in a long time. I want to take the Saturday am class at old studio at least one more time, and see how I feel and more important, how I am treated by others ( not the teacher, she has always been wonderful to me). If I am uncomfortable, or feel like crap after this class I won't be going back. I just feel that after more than 5 years of taking this class I deserve to be in this class as much as everyone else....
re: Ouch! Took first pointe class in 20 years tonight! (karma: 1)
On Mon Aug 12, 2013 09:25 AM
brubie wrote:

The only reason class I am really interested in taking is the Saturday am class and that is because I always got something out of it, and the teacher is amazing. I also don't want other people to intimidate me out of doing something I want to do. ...

I found other places to take class, where I'm comfortable, treated well, ... I actually passed the one of the people who was giving me a hard time on the sidewalk this morning ( I was coming from Pilates, she was on her way to class) and she gave me the same smirky smile she gave me all the time in class Sadly after 3 months nothing has changed. Rather than let it ruin my day, I took myself out to brunch, then sat in the park and meditated and enjoyed the parade of humanity....

Brubie -

With all due respect, I believe you're looking at this from the wrong perspective and are giving yourself the correct answer. Why don't we listen to ourselves? Because of these erroneous arguments we set up.

You state you're comfortable and treated well. End of story. You further state that you ran into one of your old classmates and nothing has changed. Ditto.

The notion that you're not going to let anyone intimidate you is really nonsense. Number one: We're all intimidated by certain situations unless we're complete sociopaths or mistakenly think we can handle anything. I'm not saying people are incapable of handling adversity, just not "anything." Anything is a big wide world! LOL

Unless there were some greater purpose involved in enduring this suffering (e.g. your sexual orientation or ethnicity were excluding you from receiving the best education you could possibly receive and thereby hurting you and your entire group's chances of ever becoming whatever it is you want to become), this argument doesn't come into play.

If someone you knew were dating two men and said the same thing would there be a real choice of who you'd tell them to go with? Or a job? Yes, I'd be paid the exact same amount, but one place is hostile and the other has people that are so nice and treat me with respect. And the choice is? Hostility?

This school has a group of people that are hostile to you. They've set up a hostile environment for really no good reason except for your viewpoints of what a class is not the same. Further, the teacher is going along with this, and yet, there is some loyalty to them for what? Making you miserable?

If I encounter people that are rude, obnoxious, and negative, I stay away from them. Period. End of story. Is that cowardly? I don't think so. I think it's being sane. So when I encountered a ballet school with not so nice people attending, I would decide if it was detrimental to my learning since that was why I was there. My decision depended on the answer. However, if the teacher was going along with the rudeness? No, I didn't go back. Why would I put myself through that when there are other schools out there that were happy to teach me?

It was never intimidation that prevented me from taking class, it was that the behavior was preventing me from reaching my goal. It's as simple as that. I mean, why not show up with a potted plant and a badger strapped to your back and then trying taking class if you want to prove something. It would be just as ridiculous.

Ballet is hard enough without getting into all this drama. You're not going to be accepted into that toxic mix. Be thankful. And be thankful you found other schools and options. I think this is about getting focused on what you want. And putting yourself in a situation you don't want to be with, and interacting with people that you don't get along with is just a complete waste of time.

Stay Calm and Keep Taking Ballet at Schools That Treat You with Respect.

That's what your money should be supporting.
By lartiste
On Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:26 AM
I have had three months and 18 days away from ballet due to being hospitalised I'm going back to my first ballet class this Friday so slightly nervous as I have lost all of my muscle tone and I was so much stronger before!

Even worse I have missed all of my summer intensives and four scheduled ballet performances that I was supposed to be seeing in London from a visiting company. On the plus side there is a masterclass being held at the Royal Opera House in London in December that I am working towards and a workshop being held at a local theatre by English National ballet that I may book up for too :)

I have also discovered that I have been floating in my box in my pointe shoes which I thought was excellent because pointe hurt minimally before but now I have shoe that fit properly and ouch, just really ouch! I'm expecting to be in so much pain this weekend while I recover. I also have super bendy feet - I have some pics in my profile - which doesn't help as they are also quite weak. I'm going to do everything on demi pointe for the next few months until I build up some strength but I am truly coming to realise how painful pointe work is I don't know how professional dancers can wear pointe shoes without being heavily medicated every day!

I have switched from my faithful Grishko 2007s and Grishko Vaganovas to Freed Classic Pro V maker I've tended to stay away from Freeds as although I know lots of professional dancers wear them it is rumoured that they tend to go soft quickly. Has anyone had experience of Freed shoes and do they have much longevity?
On Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:18 AM
lartiste wrote:

I have switched from my faithful Grishko 2007s and Grishko Vaganovas to Freed Classic Pro V maker I've tended to stay away from Freeds as although I know lots of professional dancers wear them it is rumoured that they tend to go soft quickly. Has anyone had experience of Freed shoes and do they have much longevity?

lartiste -

Welcome and I'm so sorry to hear about your health and am glad you're on the mend and returning to dancing again!

I've always been a Freed girl. For most most people, they don't last long since they're more or less ready to dance in when you buy them, but then there's the concept of individual results varying.

Freed pointe shoes would last me three months. I have no idea. This was back when I was taking six regular classes and four or five pointe classes that included doing variations. Most of the other girls did not have this experience, but I have met other dancers that have had similar results.

So to answer your question, yes, Freeds are known for not lasting long because they are ready to dance in. In other words, the box is more or less noiseless (which is one of the reasons I love them so much. I hate shoes that make noise) and the box needs only a little coaxing (by rubbing water on the sides of it -- where the glue holds it) to conform to your foot.

I know that money is a consideration, but if ballet is at all serious to someone, they should buy the shoe that works best for them -- if they can afford it. It's just the way it goes. So if Freeds feel the best and work the best, and if you can swing the money to buy them, then do it. I thoroughly understand someone going to Gaynors or Grishkos for economical reasons, but I prefer to spend the money on things that work for me. And if it means figuring out how to get the extra money to afford that, that's usually what I do.
By lartiste
On Sun Sep 01, 2013 01:23 AM
Hi nycsylph,
Thanks for your concern dancing is my life so giving it up for what feels like forever is very hard for me! And thank you for all of your feedback you have convinced me to stick with Freeds I live in the UK and I have easy access to the main Freed store in London so switching to Freed would probably be much easier than continuing to order Grishko pointe shoes online :)

Also I have been following Dance.net since I started ballet at 18 and I have to say you are an asset to the board I've always appreciated the advice that you have given to other dancers, we're so lucky to have you!
re: Ouch! Took first pointe class in 20 years tonight! (karma: 1)
On Sun Sep 01, 2013 09:14 AM
lartiste wrote:

Hi nycsylph,
Thanks for your concern dancing is my life so giving it up for what feels like forever is very hard for me! And thank you for all of your feedback you have convinced me to stick with Freeds I live in the UK and I have easy access to the main Freed store in London so switching to Freed would probably be much easier than continuing to order Grishko pointe shoes online :)

Lartiste -

I quite understand your feelings. Dance is a passion and the love of it is not something you just toss away.

Thanks and am glad you're sticking with what works the best for you. And I do envy you being so close to the main store. I could have had all the bell maker shoes I wanted! ;) Not that the stores in NY aren't lovely. It's just without the special orders, we take what we get.

Also I have been following Dance.net since I started ballet at 18 and I have to say you are an asset to the board I've always appreciated the advice that you have given to other dancers, we're so lucky to have you!

Thanks so much. You're very, very kind to say this.

What can I say? I try to give back as much as possible. I've had some amazing teachers who were kind enough to take an interest in me and give me some invaluable advice, and I'm following the tradition of passing that on ... and adding a bit of what I've figured out on my own.

Be sure to keep dropping in and let us know how you're doing and thanks again.

All -

Just a note to wish you all a lovely weekend. It's nice and quiet here so am getting a lot done.

These weekends were always a double-edge sword for me. While I used to like the day off from work, some schools would close and I'd be stuck with all this pent up energy. Luckily in NY, there would always be a school open for antsy, looking-for-a-class people like me! :P

So hang in there and hope you're enjoying the time off.
By brubie
On Sat Sep 07, 2013 04:09 PM
The summer is over, classes at all the new studios I've been going to have been over for a couple of weeks ( managed to get 1 ballet class in per week and multiple Pliates classes). I am trying to figure out my fall dance/Pilates schedule. I love that I have options and don't feel tied to one place anymore. I decided to treat myself to class at my old studio, yes I used the word treat, and went to the morning class today, expecting the wife to teach. Of course given my luck, the husband taught, and 1 of the people I was having difficulty with, was there.

However, the class went pretty well. I am surprised that I didn't forget many of the combinations, and kept up with the speed/pace. It was wonderful to see and talk with old friends, friends who genuinely missed my being there. I had to leave 20 min early, missed some of the allegro work, so I could make it to my 12:30 Pilates class. So I really don't know if I can keep up with this part of class. Found out that the wife will be teaching tomorrow, so I may go tomorrow and hope that she teaches. It is her class I miss. The husband was ok, acknowledged my being there, corrected my arms, & reminded me to keep my body square. I felt ok, not uncomfortable, which is good.

Interestingly, what I feel is that I can go to class there, once in a while, but don't have to. I miss the challenge of the classes at my old studio. Although I've found good places to take class, the classes are definitely not as difficult and far more "adult" oriented rather than an open, intermediate or beginner class. Did I learn at the new places, yes. Did I grow, probably not ( well not technique wise). I am sure I won't go back to the old studio as much as before, maybe 1 or 2 times a week. If I begin to feel the same way I did before, I won't go back. I don't need the stress or drama. It is good to know that I can go back, and it gives me many more options for classes.

This summer has taught me that I don't have to be treated badly, ignored, feel crappy in class. I learned that Pilates helps my back, and that deep tissue massage is the way to go. Had I not stopped going to my old studio I most likely wouldn't have done either massage or Pilates. I am not going to give the Pilates classes up, and will work all my ballet classes around the Pilates classes. I could write, more but......thanks for reading....
On Mon Sep 09, 2013 06:33 AM
brubie wrote:

Did I learn at the new places, yes. Did I grow, probably not ( well not technique wise). I am sure I won't go back to the old studio as much as before, maybe 1 or 2 times a week. If I begin to feel the same way I did before, I won't go back. I don't need the stress or drama. It is good to know that I can go back, and it gives me many more options for classes.

Brubie -

Well, this is what stands out, and this is not good.

Weren't you taking private pointe classes though? Taking pointe helps tremendously in gaining strength and technique so the exclusion of taking pointe could really hamper your learning curve and you may well not feel as if you're advancing as quickly.

Is it impossible to continue the private classes with the woman teacher you like so much? Or take her class exclusively?

As for just showing up, when I was taking class at the last place I would just show up on time and find out my regular teacher was not there. I noticed that one girl in class never did. If there was a substitute, this student was never there. So I asked her how she knew who was teaching and she said she called every single day to find out who was teaching. Now why didn't I think of that?

As for Pilates, I would recommend anyone taking it, but it's not a substitute for class. I'm saying that because I'm not sure if the number of classes is the same. And you not seeming to be taking those private pointe classes is bothering me a bit. Especially when you're saying you're not improving.

It seems like you have everything down to a nice routine. Maybe just tweak it so you can receive the training you're after. I know you're serious about learning so it's from that perspective I'm writing this. If you just wanted to take an odd class now and again, it would be different.

And remember, that the dynamics of the other school may change. Who knows if the girls that are there now will be two years down the road? It may return to being ideal.
By brubie
On Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:18 PM
nysylph always words of wisdom..... I haven't take private lessons all summer, just not into it. However, now, I am ready to start again and have 3 options: old studio with woman I love and have take with before, then take her class which is directly after. 2nd, new Russian teacher, and take a lesson occasionally before her 5-6:30 class, not sure this will work with my schedule. 3rd, with another woman I like ( took classes at her studio this summer) on Fridays, once a month, depending on both our schedules, have tentatively scheduled one for Sept 27th. Much is contingent upon my teaching schedule, which is almost finalized.

I know that Pilates is not a substitute for ballet, how could it be, but I do see how the two are connected and work together. So I am not going to shortchange/give up the Sat/Sun Pilates classes. I am confident of having ballet classes Tues/Wed, or Wed/Thurs evenings, in addition 2 the 2 weekend Pilates classes. Just need 2-3 more ballet classes (ideally weekends) to add into the mix. The old studio is a doable alternative, but definitely not my only choice. I must admit that the class I too yesterday afternoon at the old studio, went exceptionally well, and I did feel like the classes I took elsewhere this summer helped build strength and confidence.

It is possible to continue private lessons with the woman teacher at the old studio, and then take her intermediate class that follows, and in my ideal world this is what I'd love to do. But I am a bit less idealistic than I was before, and will try a private lesson with the other 2 teachers before committing to a series of private lessons at the old studio. I may call to check and see who is teaching, I live less than 5 minutes away, so it would be easy ( and a smart thing to do)

I didn't take the private pointe lessons this summer mainly because I was focusing on strengthening my core and dealing with my occasional bad back ( from work related stuff). I fully intend to do the private pointe lessons again, it just is a matter of deciding who do do them with.

When I meant improving, I meant with more difficult stuff in class (jumps, petite allegro, allegro, etc(. The simple fact is that the open intermediate classes at my old studio are better/harder, and not geared towards a generic adult student. I learned from both the new teachers, and in fact am planning on going back. Ultimately if I feel the least bit uncomfortable at the old studio, or just decide not to go back, I'm ok with that. This weekend worked, but I know that the same people are there (or could potentially be in class) so I am taking the whole experience "with a grain of salt." I am in the tweaking stage and will let you know what happens.....the dynamic of the old school will definitely change in June 2014 when someone graduates.....
On Wed Sep 11, 2013 07:54 AM
brubie wrote:

I didn't take the private pointe lessons this summer mainly because I was focusing on strengthening my core and dealing with my occasional bad back ( from work related stuff). I fully intend to do the private pointe lessons again, it just is a matter of deciding who do do them with.

Brubie -

Understand. Considered from this perspective, it's not a bad idea at all to concentrate on strengthening those parts of your body leading to an imbalance.

All -

Well, I watched the finals of So You Think You Can Dance. Loved the routine featuring the B-52's Rock Lobster. So much fun. I was also happy that Amy won. She was not my favorite at the beginning, but she just kept getting better and raising the level of her game. She won me over when she danced with Travis. So good!

I also have been watching Breaking Pointe and really enjoying it this season. Have been crying and crying, especially with last week's episode where the individual stories were told of what these dancers had to go through to get where they are now.

There's a toughness and resiliency to these young performers that is needed to persevere. This concept was clearly represented so beautifully in the vignettes.

Hope everyone had a great holiday. I'm looking forward to fall and more dancing on TV. It keeps me happy.
By brubie
On Thu Sep 12, 2013 05:50 AM
Fall schedule somewhat in place. 2 Pilates classes ( non-negotiable in my schedule) and some weeks 3. Still working on ballet classes, I need and want a mix of intro/beginner and intermediate. Of course finding the lower level, open/adult classes isn't a problem. Good, solid, not watered down intermediate classes is a bit more tricky. I took an "intermediate class" Monday at one of the studios I went to over the summer ( they offered beginner/intermediate in the summer). It was a good class, but although labeled intermediate, it was difficulty wise on par with the beginner class at my old studio. However, I can't take this class regularly when I start teaching in another 1 1/2 weeks. The same studio I visited in the summer, and liked, does offer beginner/intro classes, 2 nights a week, sadly they are only 1 hour, but doable. I am thinking about taking one of these classes Wed, a level 5 class at another studio with teens on Tuesday evenings ( this class is being taught by the wonderful new Russian teacher I took with this summer), and then going back to my old studio for Sat am and perhaps early afternoon classes with my favorite teacher ( Russian woman)and perhaps the Sunday afternoon class with her husband ( Sat am class is intermediate and hard, the other two would be beginner, and definitely more challenging than anything I've found.

I found two new studios, and definitely intend to incorporate at least 1 class from each into my schedule. I love having options.... The great thing about our fall term starting late is that this week and next I can take multiple classes during the week, so far I've had ballet every night, tonight is Pilates, and tomorrow rest.
By brubie
On Fri Sep 13, 2013 05:38 AM
I must regretfully amend my last post, the class with the awesome Russian woman at the new studio is a no go. Although it is clearly indicated as a adult class on their website, upon further inquiry and several emails, it seems as if adults are not permitted to take classes with the kids. Of course this error has not been corrected anywhere. I know that this studio's main focus is kids, but then why offer adult classes at all, or at least update the website. ARGH! Now I must alter my schedule and or find a different class for Tuesday evenings.
On Sat Sep 14, 2013 04:01 PM
brubie wrote:

I must regretfully amend my last post, the class with the awesome Russian woman at the new studio is a no go. Although it is clearly indicated as a adult class on their website, upon further inquiry and several emails, it seems as if adults are not permitted to take classes with the kids.

Brubie -

Oh, no! :P

That's horrible. And you were all geared up to take it, too.

So sorry, but I'm sure you'll find something else. I really wish they'd let you take the class though.
By brubie
On Sat Sep 14, 2013 04:37 PM
Nysylph, I don't get it either. This particular studio's main/only focus is kids, very few adult options. Would you believe they still haven't updated their website and the class in question is still listed as being open to adults. One thing that really annoys me is when websites are inaccurate, have errors, or are not updated. Drives me nuts. It is too bad, I'd have paid to take the class as a kid (including the registration fee) and was planning on taking private lessons as well. Not going to happen now, if I want a private lesson with this teacher, I'll go to the other studio she teaches for ( too bad this studio is a bit far to go to regularly).

So of course I am still finagling my fall dance schedule. The only real constant are the 2-3 Pilates classes which I've decided are non-negotiable. Thankfully there are options. I want to have a mix of levels, need at least 1 and preferably 2 intermediate classes, and an equal number of intro/beginner. It is a work in progress, that needs to be finalized by the end of this coming week.
By brubie
On Sun Sep 15, 2013 03:25 PM
A second Sunday class at my old studio, it was really good. I managed to nail more than one pirouette, decent pique turns, and saut de chats. I am not idealistic enough to know that people and things don't necessarily and I am taking things 1 class at a time. My realization is that I have choices as where to go. Beginning to really see the connection between Pilates and ballet, and this makes me happy.
On Tue Sep 17, 2013 08:02 PM
Brubie -

Oh, gosh! I used to live for those kind of classes!

I'm so glad you had one of them. It really does revitalize and gives us impetus to carry on.

Yes, you definitely have choices. So make the most of them.

So happy for you!
On Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:55 AM
Yikes, my reply didn't go through! Will try again.

I love those kinds of classes and am glad you had one. They're very revitalizing. After all the work comes progress, hope, an confirmation that we doing the right thing.

Yes, definitely, you have choices. Enjoy them and take full advantage.
By brubie
On Thu Sep 19, 2013 05:57 AM
NYSylph it has been a long time since I had one of those classes....I most definitely appreciated it. Taking it one class at a time. Two pretty good classes this week so far. The intermediate class was difficult, well the barre was fabulous, center and petite allegro, challenging,which is ok, that is what I am looking for ( and was missing over the summer, at least 1 class that challenged me).

Still trying to put a fall schedule together. ARGH! The only classes that are "set in stone" are the Pilates classes. Sadly I am not going to be able to take class with the new Russian teacher ( long story, owner doesn't want adults with the kids, even it they are teens). I went to 3 classes at the other new studio, I love the Monday class, it is labeled intermediate, but the difficulty level is on par with the difficulty level of my old studio. I also went to their two beginner/intro classes, and left disappointed. I thought the director was teaching, she isn't. The teacher although a lovely person, definitely teaches to the lowest level, doesn't offer alternatives, and admits that she is first a jazz & tap teacher.

After going back to the old studio's beginner/intro classes, I'll admit I'm spoiled. The difficulty level, attention to detail, the fact that the classes are 1 1/2 hours rather than 1 hour, and less that 2 blocks from my home, make them really attractive. I'm not idealistic, I know that things and people don't change that quickly, including myself. I take it one class at a time, with the knowledge that there are other places to go ( and that I can learn/feel good in a new place as well as the old).

Really continuing to "go with the flow....."
Page:
Page 114 of 118: 1 2 3 4 5 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118

ReplySendWatch