Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Adult Dancers

Page:
Page 115 of 118: 1 2 3 4 5 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118
re: Ouch! Took first pointe class in 20 years tonight!
By Danceryo
On Thu Sep 19, 2013 05:59 AM
The picture looks alot like a professional dancer's legs! You did a great job! And congrats for starting on pointe!
By nycsylphmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Sep 20, 2013 06:30 AM
Danceryo-

Thanks so much! You're very kind to say those things.

What can I say? I try.

Thanks again.
By Serendipity42Premium member
On Sat Sep 21, 2013 07:10 PM
Okay Y'all....I need some info from your experience if you have any on this one.
Been having some hip issues. At first, it really was horrible, radiating down the leg to the foot and everything. Massage, ultrasound and acupuncture have now contained it to the localized area.

Feels like it could be bursitis. Right in the trochanter from what I have been able to surmise.

Anyone have had that? If so, what did you do about it?

For me, strength is there - no problem - but the pain is such that doing anything on that leg almost makes me want to cry. I pull up hard on it to stabilize the hip, which helps, but this is really holding me back. I DON'T want to stop dancing, not now, at least.

Any ideas???? (I'm thinking of possibly going to the doc for a steroid shot....?)
By Guyenne
On Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:09 AM
Serendipity - I would try one of the bone adjustment methods first (chiropractic, cranial-sacral or osteopathic manipulation). I recently had what I think was a bursitis type problem in my knee (it's been a long time since the diagnosis, and there was never any follow-up care suggested) cleared up by an adjustment from a chiropractor. I was mostly focusing on the pelvis/tailbone, but I know that the lower leg gets jammed for me as well, so hunted down someone who was able/willing to do extremity adjustments. There's a chiropractic technique called Webster that focuses on the pregnant pelvis, but at least means that person knows how to adjust the area - see icpa4kids.com . . . to find someone with that certification.
On Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:26 AM
Guyenne, thanks so much for this! I clicked the link and already found 4 area chiros who have it. Just need to check with insurance next. Thanks again!
On Wed Oct 02, 2013 07:27 PM
Before anyone says anything, I already have an appointment with a chiro as recommended by Guyenne (thanks again!!).

Here's the weird thing: On Saturday, I was taking class with that agonizing hip pain. Felt flexible so I did my right split (which I'm almost all the way to the floor in!!! YAY!!). Decided to rock the leg back and forth, turning it in the socket while down there.

Felt a "click" in the hip - no pain involved. And....no pain for the rest of the class!!

The pain stayed away, apart from what I would call residual pain, until last night, when I seemed to throw that hip out doing grand jete.

Tonight, I was in split again and decided to try it again and, lo and behold! another click and the pain went away.

It felt to me like the sacro joint was being released, because range of motion improved, as did the ability of the hip and leg to hold my weight. It hadn't done that without intense pain before.

Just curious if anyone has any ideas? Or is my theory close?

Thanks!!!
On Thu Oct 03, 2013 08:47 AM
Serendipity42 wrote:

Felt a "click" in the hip - no pain involved. And....no pain for the rest of the class!!

The pain stayed away, apart from what I would call residual pain, until last night, when I seemed to throw that hip out doing grand jete.

Tonight, I was in split again and decided to try it again and, lo and behold! another click and the pain went away.

It felt to me like the sacro joint was being released, because range of motion improved, as did the ability of the hip and leg to hold my weight. It hadn't done that without intense pain before.

Just curious if anyone has any ideas? Or is my theory close?

I have no idea what's going on, but if you want a theory with no scientific basis, I can provide that! :P

I'd say that something in the musculature, maybe a tendon is maybe not doing it's job in holding things in place. Therefore, something keeps sliding out of place. It could be also be that the joint is inflamed causing a slight disruption in the ability to hold the bone in place also. Could a cartilage breakdown be responsible? Not enough padding for bone to remain in one place? Or the bursitis mentioned.

I really do have no idea. It's funny about that clicking though. I used to get that (in my later years -- this time around) in my knee. It was when the joint was irritated so the knee would feel wonky until things clicked back into place.
On Thu Oct 03, 2013 08:19 PM
I am copying and printing out your "theory with no basis" to take with me to the chiropractor. I didn't have a clue, even with studying the hip anatomy, about what holds what in place.

The click ONLY comes when the pain is at its worst, then the pain is instantly relieved and the hip feels freer.

Tonight, I thought it was slipping back to the pain section, so I tried to do the same thing. Nope, not a click or anything. But the hip wasn't "jammed" as I think of it, so there shouldn't have been that click I'd experienced before. At least, that's my non-scientific explanation. LOL!

Thanks so much for the ideas!!!!
By Guyenne
On Fri Oct 04, 2013 04:45 PM
Serendipity - the key thing to remember, at least for me, is that there are far more bones in that area than it seems like, as well as other things passing through like lymph flow, blood, muscles, etc.

I remember how surprised I was to see the picture here under bony pelvis, b/c so many basic resources/school discussions treat the pelvic bones as one piece, when they're not - just like the ribs/spine (which also didn't click in my head until I had ribs come out of place). en.wikipedia.org . . .
On Fri Oct 04, 2013 06:45 PM
<thud!>

Okay.....here's to hoping, then!!! Thanks again Guyenne....
On Sat Oct 05, 2013 09:39 AM
Stuck sacro joint is the initial diagnosis. He said, "Your right sacro does not move at all."

Had an X-ray, which I'll find out the results next week. Thank you again for recommending a Webster-trained person. What he described would be the result of the stuck sacro is exactly what I have been dealing with. This guy knows his stuff!!! I hope he can treat it!!

In the meantime, I'm googling for info on this sort of thing and already found something that might help unstick it. But I suspect it will need manipulating.
By Attitude1407
On Sun Oct 06, 2013 08:26 PM
HELLO EVERYONE! I know I haven't been here in forever! :( I can explain. First, I started picking up some malicious files every time I opened DDN and one time, my antivirus program had difficulty removing a file and I was afraid my computer was going to get infected, so I stayed off DDN for a while. Then, my old dog got very sick and I had a very stressful few weeks nursing her back to health. I went about a month without dancing. I started back in September, but I've been stalling coming back to DDN until I had some news to tell you about.

I missed an important audition because of my dog situation, but I've been taking a weekly class with the company founder/owner and he told me he'll be having another audition in January, so I'm gearing up for that. Meanwhile, I'm now assisting ballet classes at my studio and I'm lined up to sub those classes whenever needed. I taught a class recently and apparently the kids reported back that they really liked me!

Also, I have no idea what I last told you about Prince Charming/Charmless, but I ran into him the other day and he was remarkably friendly. It's nice to know we can still get along amicably at least.

All in all, things are looking up! :)

Hopefully I can start checking in on DDN more often without getting viruses!! :P Now I'm going to go back and read all the posts I missed!
By Attitude1407
On Sun Oct 06, 2013 08:50 PM
Oh by the way, those Capezio Tiffany shoes that were AMAZING for one class, really were amazing for just one class. Next class I felt the metatarsals of each foot being strained when I had to balance on one foot for long. Soon the shank was bent to death on my left foot, and although the right shoe was better, the overstretching/straining feeling was happening in my right foot at times too. I've worn them for a couple of classes since then and they hold up reasonably well if I don't sustain one-footed balances too long or do too much pressing over in forced-arch positions in warmup. They need to be treated gently. I'm going to try gluing the shanks and see if that helps, but they're definitely too soft/weak a shoe to be practical for me. I'm also planning to go to another store where I can try on more of a variety of pointe shoes like Freed and Bloch, which aren't available at my local store. If all else fails I'll go back to Grishko 2007!

Someone here mentioned she has very bendy feet and was going to try Freed...? I'd love to hear how they work out!

Serendipity - I had a very similar experience a while ago! I had a bad pain in my lower back radiating down my leg, and it wouldn't go away for a few weeks. Finally one day I was in a split and did a backbend to put my foot on my head and I felt a click in my back and then the pain (aside from residual pain like you mentioned) was gone! I still have occasional flare-ups in that area, though - same spot I sort of "jammed" when doing a saut de chat a year ago. I think I have a sticky sacroiliac too.
On Mon Oct 07, 2013 07:24 AM
Attitude1407 wrote:

I missed an important audition because of my dog situation, but I've been taking a weekly class with the company founder/owner and he told me he'll be having another audition in January, so I'm gearing up for that. Meanwhile, I'm now assisting ballet classes at my studio and I'm lined up to sub those classes whenever needed. I taught a class recently and apparently the kids reported back that they really liked me!

Hi Honey!

Was wondering where you were!

So sorry about your dog. Hope she's all better now. I know how you feel because I had a scare earlier in the year with my 18 year old cat. Yeah, like we're not bonded by now!

I'm thrilled you're going to audition. You really should be dancing on stage. And the teaching is something that sounds absolutely wonderful. Looks like switching schools was just what you needed to get you on the right track and help you progress up that dancing ladder.

Just congrats all around. And I love that it wasn't all about you and that you took the time out to care for an ailing pet. That shows a lot of compassion.

Also, I have no idea what I last told you about Prince Charming/Charmless, but I ran into him the other day and he was remarkably friendly. It's nice to know we can still get along amicably at least.

All in all, things are looking up! :)

I think you'll find that people in groups act much differently than when you get them alone. This is especially true when the person is dependent on a social group for approval or status or whatever it is they get from that group.

I also think that him not seeing you might have played into things. People tend to take things for granted. Then there's his age. It all added up to a not pleasant interaction.

I'm glad he's come around and is finally seeing the real you. And he did it without me having to throttle him with my pink ballet ribbons! I'm so glad! :)

Speaking about shoes, I'm so sorry about the Tiffany's. Oh, well, back to the drawing board. And, yes, Freed's are wonderful for bendy feet. It's just with bendy feet, you're going to have to get the right maker and you're probably going to go through them a lot faster than someone like me who doesn't break shoes.

Did you ever try a pair on? You might want to slip on a pair and see what happens. And remember the makers do all put their own unique methodology into the shoe, so each maker will feel different on the food.

It's trial and error. I've met a lot of dancers that have gone through what you're going through. Most have successfully found that eharmony pointe shoe match, so keep at it and don't give up!

Can't wait to hear about your progress in gearing up for the audition. Also can't wait to hear what happens in the audition!

Fingers, toes, arms, fingers are all crossed for you! :P

Hopefully I can start checking in on DDN more often without getting viruses!! :P Now I'm going to go back and read all the posts I missed!
By Attitude1407
On Mon Oct 07, 2013 07:31 AM
Was just checking my email and saw your reply. Thank you, yes my dog is so much better now! More feisty than ever in fact! LOL.

Also, wanted to clarify that I'm back at my original studio and that's where I'm teaching. Still taking occasional classes at the other when I can get there, though.

Thank you! I'm soooo hoping to get this company position!!
On Sat Oct 19, 2013 07:08 AM
Guyenne, a HUGE thank you for you Webster suggestion. Two treatments and, as of right now, the pain is gone. Of course, the real test will be in ballet class. I'll know either during rehearsal or tomorrow.

Thank you soooo much!
By Guyenne
On Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:13 PM
I've got my fingers crossed for you, Serendipity. Hopefully, the adjustments hold well, and it stays pain-free.
On Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:49 PM
Serendipity42 wrote:

Guyenne, a HUGE thank you for you Webster suggestion. Two treatments and, as of right now, the pain is gone. Of course, the real test will be in ballet class. I'll know either during rehearsal or tomorrow.

Thank you soooo much!

Serendipity -

That's amazing! And all thanks to Guyenne!

I've said before that Guyenne is DDN's answer to McGyver.

Thanks, Guyenne!
By rmdanceguy1
On Sun Oct 20, 2013 09:30 PM
Hey ladies, how are you? I hope everyone is well.

I too have been off the radar lately. I've had to table some of my goals for a while as the last month or so has been very busy with two family members in the hospital. First, my mother was in a few days and then my brother was in the hospital for over three weeks. I had to miss some weeks of classes as well. Since then, they both have been released and things are slowly getting back to normal. I am back to classes. As soon as my personal situation changes, I will enroll in the ballet school.

I happened to find another local studio really close to where I live which offered adult classes. I was interested so I e-mailed the director. I will check them out as well.

Attitude: Congrats on assisting in teaching and good luck in your audition. Glad to hear your dog is better.

Have a good Halloween!
On Thu Oct 24, 2013 08:55 AM
rmdanceguy1 wrote:

I too have been off the radar lately. I've had to table some of my goals for a while as the last month or so has been very busy with two family members in the hospital. First, my mother was in a few days and then my brother was in the hospital for over three weeks. I had to miss some weeks of classes as well. Since then, they both have been released and things are slowly getting back to normal. I am back to classes. As soon as my personal situation changes, I will enroll in the ballet school.

I happened to find another local studio really close to where I live which offered adult classes. I was interested so I e-mailed the director. I will check them out as well. ...

Have a good Halloween!

rmdanceguy1 -

Glad you've popped in!

Yes, life does come first, doesn't it? :)

I'm sure you'll be returning to your full schedule in no time. And I am so very happy you found another school! I know that was a problem in the past so congrats!

Yes, Happy Halloween to you! I've been running a fun event all October in celebration of this momentous occasion and it's kept me busy. It was a lot of fun ... and A LOT of WORK! As much as taking ballet classes! :P

I guess you won't be in The Nutcracker this year? I know performing was on your short list. Hope you get to be on stage in 2014!
By rmdanceguy1
On Thu Oct 24, 2013 07:32 PM
Thank you NYCSylph. You never know. Things can change by the end of the year. I remember one year the director of the ballet school when I took classes before e-mailed me around Thanksgiving and asked me to be a party dad with the Nutcracker. I could not as I was out of state at the time. They are always looking for male dancers and I definitely want to finally try the stage in the next coming months. If not, I could do the first production of next year.

I had one of the best classes in a while Tuesday. Things are coming together and I am catching up on the classes I missed.

Glad your Halloween event has been successful. I know when I was in college one of the fraternities had a haunted house philanthropic all month and it really made a lot of money for charity. I guess there are a lot of people who love to be scared. Good Luck and Happy Halloween again to all of you ladies!
By Guyenne
On Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:23 AM
Just happened to see this show on the AOL home page, and was wondering if anyone has been watching it?

on.aol.com . . .
CITY.BALLET.
Imagine a city unto itself- a place where 16 year olds are professionals, 18 year olds are revered and many 30 year olds are retirees. Imagine a world so insular that nearly every one of these virtuosos has trained together in an academy since childhood, their lives forever intertwined by work, play, competition, friendship and love. Imagine a world in which the bottom line standard is to be, simply, the best on the planet, and where each night, an empty stage, in front of thousands, beckons with a challenge. This enclave has a name- New York City Ballet- and you are invited into this world, one that has never opened up to the outside before. A documentary series brought to you by Sarah Jessica Parker Pretty Matches Productions and the Emmy award winning Zero Point Zero Production for Aol On Orginals.
On Mon Nov 04, 2013 07:36 PM
Guyenne -

No, I sure haven't been watching, but I will!

Thanks so much for the link!
On Tue Nov 05, 2013 03:32 PM
Just popped into say that one of my favorite shows FACE OFF will be featuring ballet in its finale!

If you don't know FACE OFF on SyFy has make-up artists compete for the top prize by completing challenges. I guess the last challenge will be to do some sort of syfy/horror make-up for ballet dancers!

It sounds like fun, I love the show and Ima gonna watch!

:)
By smileywomanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:29 AM
Hi kids!! *waves*

I feel guilty for not being able to keep up with everyone in here. I'm just popping in to give hugs to all, wish Serendipity good luck with the hip issue (I can relate), and a special hug for attitude for some of her stresses--particularly with the old doggie.

I'm trying to dance a bit, but not as much as I would like and being haunted by the last two injuries to both of my ankles.

Meanwhile, I'm working on the 2014 DDN 'Get the Pointe' Ballet Interview slots and would LOVE some of you guys to consider being interviewed (send me a PM, if you would like).

HUGS!

smileywoman (Maria)
Page:
Page 115 of 118: 1 2 3 4 5 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118

ReplySendWatch