Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Adult Dancers

Page:
Page 116 of 118: 1 2 3 4 5 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118
re: Ouch! Took first pointe class in 20 years tonight!
By nycsylphmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Nov 18, 2013 06:55 PM
smileywoman wrote:

Hi kids!! *waves*

I feel guilty for not being able to keep up with everyone in here. I'm just popping in to give hugs to all, wish Serendipity good luck with the hip issue (I can relate), and a special hug for attitude for some of her stresses--particularly with the old doggie.

*waves back*

Hi Beautiful!

Yes, I'm wishing everyone health and happiness also!

I'm trying to dance a bit, but not as much as I would like and being haunted by the last two injuries to both of my ankles.

Just take it easy and do what you can. You didn't think you were going to be able to do anything at one point so this is magical! Enjoy and you never know how much better you'll feel!

Meanwhile, I'm working on the 2014 DDN 'Get the Pointe' Ballet Interview slots and would LOVE some of you guys to consider being interviewed (send me a PM, if you would like).

HUGS!

Total HUGS back and good luck with the interviews! There are some fantastic people here and I can't wait to hear what they have to say!

smileywoman (Maria)
By smileywomanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:43 AM
Our very own adult dancer, Serendipity42 now has her interview posted. :D

Get the Pointe: Special Issue # 48 Adult Dancers, featuring Serendipity42 is now posted on the Ballet: Ballet-Adult Dancers Board. www.dance.net . . .

NOTE: CompactDisco (who also dances ballet) will be highlighted in the December 2013 issue, and Elfie will be highlighted in the January 2014 issue.

I NEED more of you to come forward to be interviewed and INSPIRE us all to keep dancing. :)
By rmdanceguy1
On Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:58 AM
Hey ladies! How are you? Just checking in to wish all of you a very happy and safe Thanksgiving holiday week. I am in dance limbo now as the studios locally are shutting down for next week. Can't wait for class again in two weeks!
By Attitude1407
On Sun Nov 24, 2013 06:43 PM
Hi Smileywoman! Thank you for the hug and concern! My old dog is doing well. I'm sorry to hear your dancing is being hampered by injuries... Injuries are so frustrating. Like Sylph said, just do what you can and enjoy every minute!

I've been incredibly busy lately with work as well as assisting and teaching at my studio. I taught a lot of classes (including the pointe class again) when the studio owner had a family member in the hospital.

Rmdanceguy, same here... I hate being in dance limbo! :P Can't wait to get back in class and see all "my" kids and friends again!
On Mon Nov 25, 2013 05:56 AM
rmdanceguy1 wrote:

Hey ladies! How are you? Just checking in to wish all of you a very happy and safe Thanksgiving holiday week. I am in dance limbo now as the studios locally are shutting down for next week. Can't wait for class again in two weeks!

rmdanceguy1 -

Happy Thanksgiving to you and everyone. Isn't it grand we have things in our lives to be grateful for?

Having said that, having no classes is the worst. The worst. It's why I used to love Melissa Hayden. She gave classes on Thanksgiving. She said that after stuffing ourselves with turkey and all the fixings, we really needed a class to work all that off! Man, was she right!

I've been incredibly busy lately with work as well as assisting and teaching at my studio. I taught a lot of classes (including the pointe class again) when the studio owner had a family member in the hospital.

Attitude -

I'm so glad you're getting so much teaching experience under your belt. It'll come in so handy later on. Sorry for the reason, though, but it's great you could help out.

Your studio is closed also? I suppose we all need time to decompress and rest, but it's so hard to not feel we're going to seed during these down times. Suppose the best thing is just to enjoy things other than ballet. Of course, we first have to discover that those things exist, :P but once we do, it's sort of fun.

Hope you all keep healthy and happy! And that includes my buddy Odile who I hope is well and lurking out there somewhere. And you, too, Luceroblanco! I know you're belly dancing up a storm!
On Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:32 AM
Popped in to wish you all a WONDERFUL Thanksgiving break with your loved ones.

PS Luc - I'd love to try belly dancing :D
By Attitude1407
On Wed Nov 27, 2013 08:09 PM
I can't imagine taking class AFTER Thanksgiving dinner... Before is one thing (although when would you do your cooking?), to burn off some calories in advance, but how the heck do you dance AFTER eating all that?! LOL!

Yes, as much as it was exciting to teach so many classes, especially the pointe class, it was hard to be really happy about it because of the reason this time. The family member sadly passed away very recently. At least I know I was a great help to my teacher during this time, giving her the freedom to go to the hospital anytime and not have to worry about her classes at all.

I did feel like I needed some time to rest and decompress right now, so the Thanksgiving break has been fine with me. I've definitely gotten my energy back, though, so I'm ready to get back to class soon!

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!!! :)
On Sun Dec 01, 2013 07:02 AM
Attitude1407 wrote:

I can't imagine taking class AFTER Thanksgiving dinner... Before is one thing (although when would you do your cooking?), to burn off some calories in advance, but how the heck do you dance AFTER eating all that?! LOL!
:)

Attitude -

It's hard to imagine, but it was the best thing ever. We all looked a little like boa constrictors that had just swallowed their prey when standing at the barre, but lo and behold, we were like gazelles!

I should say that I didn't immediately go to class. If I'm remembering correctly, it was late afternoon? Anyway, it was at least a couple hours.

:)
By Attitude1407
On Sun Dec 01, 2013 07:06 PM
LOL!! The boa constrictor analogy just cracked me up!! I can just imagine that.

Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving. December is here already! Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all my DDN friends! :)
On Fri Dec 06, 2013 01:46 PM
Sylph - you're too funny. I imagine all the little tummies in a row at the barre. :P

Meanwhile Happy Friday to everyone! I now have 17 people scheduled for DDN Ballet interviews thru the Spring of 2015. PM to be waitlisted for future consideration.

Have a great weekend! :D
By rmdanceguy1
On Fri Dec 06, 2013 09:09 PM
Personally, I'd love to take and have a good class after Thanksgiving. It would start to burn off all those calories from that dinner. In the past, I have worked out at the gym the morning of Thanksgiving. It is a good time. Hardly anyone goes to the gym that day.
On Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:33 PM
Hi there everyone!!!

I just posted DDN Ballet Interview #49 on the Ballet - Pointe board.

Meanwhile, here's a tease about the next couple of issues and exciting changes in the interviews.

FUTURE ISSUES
-Stay tuned for the January 2014 interview featuring Elfie
-The February issue will feature the FIRST EVER Male Ballet Dancer interview.

The interview slots thru Spring of 2015 have been filled, and we hope to continue the new tradition of alternating interviews between our male and female DDN Ballet Dancers/Students. :)
By rmdanceguy1
On Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:01 PM
Hey ladies! How are you? Checking in again to be the first to wish you all a very merry Christmas and a happy and safe New Year holidays.

Did not make a Nutcracker performance this year. Hopefully, 2014 will be different.

Now, dance limbo again as the studio is closed for the next two weeks for the holidays. Can't wait to get back to class in January!
On Thu Dec 19, 2013 07:00 AM
rmdanceguy1 wrote:

Hey ladies! How are you? Checking in again to be the first to wish you all a very merry Christmas and a happy and safe New Year holidays.

Did not make a Nutcracker performance this year. Hopefully, 2014 will be different.

Now, dance limbo again as the studio is closed for the next two weeks for the holidays. Can't wait to get back to class in January!

Hi Rmdanceguy1 -

Oh, you missed The Nutcracker? That's a shame. I thought you were looking forward to performing. And, yes, there's always next year. And please don't limit yourself to just auditioning for that. Just go for things you want! Anyone who seriously studies dance works too hard to let opportunities slip by. And the worst thing they can say is no so there's really no downside.

Dance limbo is the worst. It's always the time when I feel the most centered and most want to be in class. I don't know how that used to work out, but it always did. I'd wake up feeling just magnificently balanced and poof! I'd learn classes were canceled or the teacher ran off with a swan or some other strange occurrence that kept me from having class.

Here's to 2014! Wishing you all good cheer, happiness, health and much success!!! Hugs to all!
By rmdanceguy1
On Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:25 PM
You are right, nysylph. I am not limiting myself. I missed the Nutcracker due to the family situation has continued. Hopefully in 2014, I will also be taking adult classes at the local ballet school. They have a few performances each year which I hope I can participate at least in a minimal role in a future performance if they and I feel ready. The Nutcracker was just the last we discussed.

I think performing will fill in what I am missing allowing me to improve as well as advance as I would like.
On Thu Dec 19, 2013 02:56 PM
rmdanceguy1 wrote:

Hopefully in 2014, I will also be taking adult classes at the local ballet school. They have a few performances each year which I hope I can participate at least in a minimal role in a future performance if they and I feel ready. The Nutcracker was just the last we discussed.

I think performing will fill in what I am missing allowing me to improve as well as advance as I would like.

Absolutely, it will! There's nothing like (1) having a goal, (2)achieving the goal, and (3) being rewarded.

I have my fingers crossed for you and I'm sure you'll be posting about your first performance next year.

It will be so cool!
By brubie
On Sun Dec 29, 2013 03:33 PM
It has been a while, I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday....My fall teaching was over 3 weeks ago, and I begin again on January 6. I've been able to get a couple of extra ballet classes in during the vacation, along with 2 Pilates classes. Classes at the old studio are going well, I've kept with the Saturday am class that I love, the Sunday 1:00 class, and during the holidays a Saturday afternoon class and either a Monday or Wednesday class. Sadly during the winter term I am teaching Mon-Thurs 2 classes that begin at 4:00 ( this means I lose the Thursday Pilates class). I am trying to figure out when/where to get in some private lessons, guess I just won't sleep on the weekends....

Sharing two things on my bucket list ( well it really isn't much of a list): dance in a production of the Nutcracker, and go to dance camp.
On Mon Dec 30, 2013 01:53 PM
Just popping in to wish one and all a Happy New Year! *blows kisses*
By rmdanceguy1
On Mon Dec 30, 2013 08:08 PM
I also wanted to check in and wish you ladies a very happy and safe New Year holiday. I also hope all of your dance goals for 2014 come true.
On Tue Dec 31, 2013 08:13 AM
brubie wrote:

Sharing two things on my bucket list ( well it really isn't much of a list): dance in a production of the Nutcracker, and go to dance camp.

That sounds like an official bucket list to me!

Everyone -

Definitely wanted to check in also and wish everyone the Happiest New Year ever!

May 2014 bring you peace, joy, good health and prosperity! Oh, and great dancing, too!

:]
By rmdanceguy1
On Mon Jan 27, 2014 07:53 PM
Just checking in to say I hope 2014 is going well for you and are on track to meeting your dance goals for the year. I also wanted to say to keep warm going to and from class especially to everyone in the path of the bitter arctic cold and snow this week. The cold this time is dipping into the deep south including Florida. So, in my area we are even getting unseasonably cool weather. I hope the deep freezes are over after this one.
On Tue Jan 28, 2014 08:27 AM
rmdanceguy1 wrote:

Just checking in to say I hope 2014 is going well for you and are on track to meeting your dance goals for the year. I also wanted to say to keep warm going to and from class especially to everyone in the path of the bitter arctic cold and snow this week. The cold this time is dipping into the deep south including Florida. So, in my area we are even getting unseasonably cool weather. I hope the deep freezes are over after this one.

Hey Rmdanceguy1 -

My 2014 is going better than last year, but just about anything would be an improvement!

I'm finally to the point where I can try some simple dance moves (done at home and very carefully.) If I feel any pain or discomfort while doing them or the next day, I just stop doing them for awhile. I figure I'll slowly build up tolerance -- or not. :P

The cold is crazy here. Polar vector is getting us all. Had a friend skid off an embankment (she's fine) and I took a spill. Went out to buy a gallon jug of water and was rushing back. Kapow! Went down, but I never let go of the water so it was fine. That's the main thing and it shows where my priorities lie.

One of the good things about ballet is they usually crank up the heat so much in the studios that you feel you're in some tropical forest. Well, except in Frostbite Falls. I'd never make it there. Not hardly tough enough to handle frost on the ballet barres.

Hope you're all attending class and making progress. Should be a good year for dance.
By funkiejmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jan 28, 2014 03:58 PM
hiya folks!!! just jumping in to say hello hello and happy new year. : )
On Wed Jan 29, 2014 06:58 AM
funkiej wrote:

hiya folks!!! just jumping in to say hello hello and happy new year. : )

Hi Funkiej -

Haven't heard from you in quite awhile. Hope your dancing is going fine.

I peeked at your Salute and saw how pretty you are. I also noticed that gorgeous kitty! Talk about ballet moves, think felines would rule if they ever got interested in dance.
By Attitude1407
On Fri Feb 07, 2014 09:16 PM
Sorry I haven't been around in a long time! How is everyone doing so far this year? :)

My anticipated audition hasn't happened yet - apparently it's been postponed a bit. Fine with me since I've only just now become certain of the pointe shoes I need, Gaynor-Mindens in hard shank, and I now need to buy a new pair of them! I'm using some old pairs that I've patched up, but they're really not audition-worthy. Waiting for Discount Dance to have another sale! :P

Meanwhile, I've been enjoying dancing and still subbing classes sometimes as well. Feeling really strong lately.

I have a question though... Is it not a good idea to lance a blister that looks very red? :P
Page:
Page 116 of 118: 1 2 3 4 5 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118

ReplySendWatch