Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Adult Dancers

Page:
Page 117 of 118: 1 2 3 4 5 112 113 114 115 116 117 118
re: Ouch! Took first pointe class in 20 years tonight!
By Attitude1407
On Sat Mar 01, 2014 08:04 PM
I feel like I killed this thread! Hope it wasn't me! I'm overdue to catch up on posts and messages, but I just wanted to stop in to say hi for now!
By rmdanceguy1
On Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:49 PM
No, I don't think you killed this thread. It is probably all of the snow and ice storms our DDN friends up north have been dealing with week after week.
re: Ouch! Took first pointe class in 20 years tonight! (karma: 1)
By nycsylphmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Mar 02, 2014 08:14 AM
Attitude1407 wrote:

I feel like I killed this thread! Hope it wasn't me! I'm overdue to catch up on posts and messages, but I just wanted to stop in to say hi for now!

Attitude -

No, RMdanceguy1 is correct! No killing has occurred!

In my case, I've become officially busy. Not complaining. I'd rather be busy than not because being busy means you're in demand and wanted. Plus I'm busy at something I've wanted to do for a long time. Got a gig at a company I've wanted to work for and I am! It's at MTV and I love working for them and hope to do a good job so I'm asked back.

I'm glad you're doing so well and feel so strong! It's validation that you're doing things right. It also proves that to succeed, attitude and perseverance pay off. It's not just starting ballet at three, it's really digging in and working. It's why I'm so happy you're succeeding in a big way.

As for the audition, I'm sorry it was postponed, but it may work in your favor given your shoe situation. Remember that if there is a sale, to buy two pairs. I know they're Gaynor's, but it always helps to have a pair in reserve.

Because I'm trying to meet a pretty strict deadline, my port de bras got thrown off the bus along with all other niceties, but last night I started the port de bras, plie and tendu combinations up again. They feel very soothing and I will keep it up this time.

To get back to the auditons, are you planning to attend any summer intensives? Or are there other opportunities in your area? It might not be a bad idea to save up some money and audition in other cities. I mean, if the position is something you want, why not try?

No, I don't think you killed this thread. It is probably all of the snow and ice storms our DDN friends up north have been dealing with week after week.

rmdanceguy1 -

Yes, we've been hit big time! This week was just cold so I just know that spring and summer are around the corner! :P

It means I'll probably thaw out around June or July. Really have been just been braving that chilly blast every time I go out, but we've been lucky in terms of having mild winters the past couple of years. We were due and Mother Nature delivered! Course I feel like a weenie complaining. It's nothing compared to Frostbite Falls, but I so hate when I step outside and my nostrils burn from that first inhalation of freezing cold air! Aargh! So painful.

Hope everyone else has been keeping up with their dance. I really hope to get out more this year in terms of attending performances. I feel ballet-deprived and it's really starting to get to me! So I feel a rush of ticket purchasing coming on! There's so many dancers I want to see ... which reminds me. Remember a couple of years ago I mentioned standing across from this gorgeous male dancer in a class I took? Well, his name was Zachary Catazaro and I just read he was promoted!

artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com . . .

I was so happy to find this out for a few reasons. Number one, he's an exquisite dancer. Number two, he is not bad to look at! (Yes, I'm old, but I still notice these things!) And Number three, he's a gentleman! Well-mannered, he's soft spoken, very gracious and everything you want to see in someone.

You show me a loud mouthed, egotistical braggart and I'll show you a failed dancer. The best of the best usually exemplify not only impeccable technique, but all the qualities that promote ballet as an artform. For those you meet and think, bitter much? Well, they're around the periphery and will never ever attain this level of success. They just won't. Or haven't which is a whole 'nother story. Anyway, I'm thrilled for him and for NYCB because he'll bring a lot to the table in his new role!
By brubie
On Fri Mar 07, 2014 06:30 AM
Hope everyone is doing well....it has been a great winter, well for me, since I absolutely love cold, snowy weather.... Still taking 2 classes at my old studio ( I'm being much more selective) and continue to do Pilates, in fact I've added a 1/2 hour private Pilates session every other week ( it is amazing). In two weeks I start private lessons with a new Russian teacher ( well I took her class over the summer, just have never done a private lesson with her). We are going to work on pointe and variations. While there have been a couple of new ballet classes offered at my old studio, I'm not thrilled with the teachers so my search continues. We have exams/spring break in another week, so I will be able to take a couple of additional classes, yea. Saw PA Ballet performance of Serenade a couple of weeks ago, I floated all the way home....
By rmdanceguy1
On Sun Mar 09, 2014 07:31 PM
Hey Nycsylph, the cold weather is why I moved 1200 miles from the Great lakes area. The snow, ice, and the bitter cold just got to me. I can sympathize, but am glad I am no longer in the stuff. Glad you are busy.

Thanks for sharing the info about the male dancer that took your class and is now a soloist. I really wish I had started when I wanted when I was a teenager. Who knows where I could have been by now. When I was in high school, I wanted to use ballet to train for football as I had heard several college and pro football players took ballet. Football did not work out due to factors beyond my control, but my passion to dance ballet did not go away.

For me, my classes have been idle as I have not been able to get to as many classes as I normally would this year. I continue to look and consider alternative options for studios. If nothing else, my goal for this year is to get back to more classes per week than I do now. Obviously, I found I did better when I took more classes per week. What I also found is taking classes from different teachers at another studio also helps as they tend have a fresh take on things seeing other areas I need to improve. In other words, I get different corrections which help immensely. For instance, when I took classws the first time at the local ballet school corrected my arabesque with key correction my other teachers may not have picked up.
By Serendipity42Premium member
On Sun Mar 09, 2014 07:37 PM
I just wanted to pop in and say hi. Been quiet on this thread due to a fear of saying what's going right, then having something go wrong. But since health has deteriorated to a point where taking class is now a hope instead of a given, I'm just gonna forget the worry of jinxing myself. <grin>

I keep trying, and that's all I'm gonna say! :)

I do enjoy reading everyone else's triumphs, tho!
On Sun Mar 16, 2014 01:41 PM
Argh! I just was writing this big long response to everyone, and I backspaced and deleted everything! I do wish they'd add a "do you really want to leave this page" feature! It's saved me on other sites.

Oh, well! I will try again later. Just wanted everyone to know I am reading your comments and I have something to say.

I'll try later. :P
By Attitude1407
On Tue Mar 18, 2014 03:41 PM
Congratulations on the MTV gig, Sylph!! I'm happy for you! :)

I'm kind of devastated right now because that company class was canceled. However, the reason it was canceled is that the teacher/company director is opening his own place, so I'm hopeful I'll be able to take class with him there! And I imagine he'll have that audition once he gets his new studio up and running.
On Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:00 PM
Attitude1407 wrote:

Congratulations on the MTV gig, Sylph!! I'm happy for you! :)

Thank you! Just finished there! A lot of work, but very creative and very happy with completed project!

I'm kind of devastated right now because that company class was canceled. However, the reason it was canceled is that the teacher/company director is opening his own place, so I'm hopeful I'll be able to take class with him there! And I imagine he'll have that audition once he gets his new studio up and running.

It sounds like a plus in the long run. Short-term loss; long-term gain!

Just keep taking regularly anywhere you can. You know the drill! :)

I'll try to answer the rest of the posts -- if I can remember what I said originally!

So frustrating. Argh!
By brubie
On Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:21 PM
Had an awesome private lesson with a new teacher this morning. Well the teacher isn't new, I took classes with her this past summer. I decided that it was time to start back with private lessons, and really wanted to see what she would be like one-on-one. She is Russian, as are my other two teachers. I told her what I'd worked on in the past, and that I'd like to start working on variations and pointe again ( I can't keep just wearing my pointe shoes for barre...).

The lesson was amazing....She had two different variations, both from Giselle, prepared for me. One was the two friends, and the other Giselle's variation from Act 1. We worked on the first for a while, and she said to me, I think you are more suited for the Giselle variation. I thought, I'm not girly, or Giselley....but it was fabulous, can't wait to work on it more...We just did some basic pointe stuff at the barre ( I hate the shoes I have, must get new ones...)

Had to share with everyone...
On Thu Mar 20, 2014 08:25 AM
brubie wrote:

Had an awesome private lesson with a new teacher this morning. ... The lesson was amazing....She had two different variations, both from Giselle, prepared for me. One was the two friends, and the other Giselle's variation from Act 1.

Had to share with everyone...

Brubie -

This does sound amazing!

I LOVED variation classes. LOVED. Couldn't get enough of them so I know exactly how you felt. And Giselle is wonderful.

So glad you're doing this and that you're with someone that is presenting this fantastic opportunity to learn and improve.

Can't wait to hear how this goes! Keep us posted!

I just wanted to pop in and say hi. Been quiet on this thread due to a fear of saying what's going right, then having something go wrong. But since health has deteriorated to a point where taking class is now a hope instead of a given, I'm just gonna forget the worry of jinxing myself. <grin>

Serendipity -

I did just want to say how sorry I am to hear about your health deteriorating.

I had this big long post written expressing my feelings on what you're going through. I know how it feels and I hope you still can take class and enjoy the beauty of dance for a good long time. We may not be able to do what we once did, but it is a privilege to do anything at all so please don't become frustrated or get down on yourself for not being able to do everything you want to do.

I really miss the attending class and hearing those wonderful strains of music. I guess what I'm saying is just to appreciate what you have. I'm sure you do it's just it feels horrible when something that you love this much feels like it's slipping away.

So good vibes and thoughts that you stay strong and continue on for as long as you like. You just never know.
On Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:33 AM
Hi all -

Just had to pop sand ask if anyone else noticed that Messages was moved to the side!

I'm used to looking in the upper right hand corner, but saw the bright strip of yellow today! I don't even know how long the message had been sitting in my inbox. :)

I'm getting all these fantastic opportunities to go and see performances. I need to push myself and go. I know I'll feel better if I do. I'm just caught up in too much work.

I am doing my port de bras. No twisting, turning or pretzel shapes allowed. Staying in a comfort zone, but gradually doing more. I'm very happy. Funny thing is that now I'm not taking class, I'm "un" doing some very bad habits and discovering new wonderous muscles, etc. that I should have been using all along. Oh, well! If I'm ever fortunate enough to take class again, I will use these new weapons so I won't fall over so much!

Love and hugs to you all.
On Sun Mar 30, 2014 05:30 PM
Hi nycsylph. Thanks for the words of encouragement. My doc and pharmacist and I are working on it. I take each day as it comes now.

Yes, I just noticed the move to the side. I must admit I'm kind of glad. Sometimes my screen loses the one at the top.

I have a sign that says: "Don't worry. If you fall, I'll be there. Sincerely, The Floor."

Lol!
On Tue Apr 01, 2014 03:26 PM
Serendipity42 wrote:

Hi nycsylph. Thanks for the words of encouragement. My doc and pharmacist and I are working on it. I take each day as it comes now.

Yes, I just noticed the move to the side. I must admit I'm kind of glad. Sometimes my screen loses the one at the top.

I have a sign that says: "Don't worry. If you fall, I'll be there. Sincerely, The Floor."

Lol!

Serendipity -

I'm happy you have this kind of attitude! I should have a t-shirt made up with that quote on the front of it! :P

Discovered what I used to do in my developpes yesterday -- by accident, of course! I couldn't hit a dance position on purpose if I tried. I stumbled on it and was like, "Duh?! Of course, that's what I did!"

Why I didn't remember it sooner, I don't know. So frustrating ...
On Tue Apr 01, 2014 07:12 PM
Okay, NYCSylph....what did you used to do in your developers? I need all the strategies I can get!
On Wed Apr 02, 2014 07:34 AM
Serendipity42 wrote:

Okay, NYCSylph....what did you used to do in your developers? I need all the strategies I can get!

Well, not sure I can't describe it properly, but usually when I'm doing them wrong, I concentrate on the "working" side. Of course, this is contrary to the theory that your supporting side is really your "working" side. While I was somewhat conscious of my supporting side, I mostly made sure I was straight and not giving out at the hip and that I had a firm base by keeping my foot underneath me.

Anyway, I was screwing around and remembered this one spot I wasn't using. So if you're lifting your right leg, along with keeping that left side straight and your left foot really firmly grounded underneath you, there's a spot on your left hip that you press in on. When done right, you achieve this dynamic:

Image hotlink - 'http://www.sciencelearn.org.nz/var/sciencelearn/storage/images/contexts/sporting-edge/sci-media/images/mechanical-advantage/17442-11-eng-NZ/Mechanical-advantage_full_size_landscape.jpg'

The right leg becomes effortless to lift because the left hip is engaged and taking the load. I would describe the feeling as your left feeling "under" your right even though they're level. And the whole of your butt is activated including the place under it so perhaps that's why it feels "under" and not level.

It was so easy and I was so stable and I wanted to throttle myself with my pink ballet ribbons for being such a weenie in not remembering this.

A big :P to me!

Comment #10179645 deleted
Removed by Sumayah (204191) on 2014-04-03 20:00:38 Please do not reply to a comment made in a different thread.

On Thu Apr 03, 2014 06:40 PM
The invitations continue to pour in. Got invited to a 'REALLY' good seminar, but can't go. I'd have to reshuffle my schedule and that is not going to happen. It's hard enough for me to remember the first schedule. I can imagine memorizing an altered one.

Was trying to bust some turns in the kitchen. Good news is I did not bang my knee the way I usually do. Other good news is that I managed a double with a hop.

The hop makes it unofficial. I shall work on getting the double back at least on the right!
On Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:11 PM
I couldn't quite figure out what you meant, but today and yesterday were good dance days. And today I even had enough energy to go for a walk in the sun, which I think I need more of.

I am pleased to say I think I finally, consistently found my back and rib muscles, though, and was much more balanced than in the last several weeks. Even managed to pull off a double pique finishing in arabesque today.

Don't know what tomorrow holds. I want to try to get to the gym, but until that time comes, I won't know.

I'm going to try to visualize what you said, and see if that can help. Right now, I want to work on rotation vs. height.

Thanks for the encouragement, NYCSylph!!

nycsylph wrote:

Serendipity42 wrote:

Well, not sure I can't describe it properly, but usually when I'm doing them wrong, I concentrate on the "working" side. Of course, this is contrary to the theory that your supporting side is really your "working" side. While I was somewhat conscious of my supporting side, I mostly made sure I was straight and not giving out at the hip and that I had a firm base by keeping my foot underneath me.

Anyway, I was screwing around and remembered this one spot I wasn't using. So if you're lifting your right leg, along with keeping that left side straight and your left foot really firmly grounded underneath you, there's a spot on your left hip that you press in on. When done right, you achieve this dynamic:

Image hotlink - 'http://www.sciencelearn.org.nz/var/sciencelearn/storage/images/contexts/sporting-edge/sci-media/images/mechanical-advantage/17442-11-eng-NZ/Mechanical-advantage_full_size_landscape.jpg'

The right leg becomes effortless to lift because the left hip is engaged and taking the load. I would describe the feeling as your left feeling "under" your right even though they're level. And the whole of your butt is activated including the place under it so perhaps that's why it feels "under" and not level.

It was so easy and I was so stable and I wanted to throttle myself with my pink ballet ribbons for being such a weenie in not remembering this.

A big :P to me!
On Sun Apr 06, 2014 09:33 PM
Serendipity42 wrote:

I couldn't quite figure out what you meant, but today and yesterday were good dance days. And today I even had enough energy to go for a walk in the sun, which I think I need more of.

I am pleased to say I think I finally, consistently found my back and rib muscles, though, and was much more balanced than in the last several weeks. Even managed to pull off a double pique finishing in arabesque today.

Don't know what tomorrow holds. I want to try to get to the gym, but until that time comes, I won't know.

I'm going to try to visualize what you said, and see if that can help. Right now, I want to work on rotation vs. height.

Thanks for the encouragement, NYCSylph!!

Serendipity -

It's not surprising you had no idea what I was talking about. I wish I knew what I was contracting so I could be specific.

I'm completely jazzed about you doing the double into an arabesque. That is incredible. Good for you. And consistency is everything. No wonder you're doing so well.

Fingers crossed and good vibes going out to you.
On Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:04 AM
Your fingers are magic, NYSylph. I had another good, class day, this one in pointe shoes the whole class. Granted, couldn't make it TO pointe on some exercises, had to face the barre for a few, but I managed to make it through most of the class with only a few rests.

I'll take it, though. Three good class days.....wow! Hope I can make it on Thursday!!! Will let you know!!

I know it's hard to type like that, but will you keep those magic fingers crossed again? THANKS!! :)
On Fri Apr 11, 2014 05:29 PM
Serendipity42 wrote:

Your fingers are magic, NYSylph. ...

I'll take it, though. Three good class days.....wow! Hope I can make it on Thursday!!! Will let you know!!

I know it's hard to type like that, but will you keep those magic fingers crossed again? THANKS!! :)

Serendipity -

Yup, I'm doing it! I duct taped them together just so I wouldn't cheat!

Hope it worked!!!
By rmdanceguy1
On Fri Apr 25, 2014 05:32 PM
Hey, just thought I would check in as I have been off the radar for a while. Things have been busy for me personally mostly in a good way. Due to this, I may be able to get to the local ballet school for additional classes.

I hope everyone had a good Easter weekend and finally able to enjoy spring time to everyone up north who had a unusually brutal winter.
On Tue Apr 29, 2014 09:05 PM
Hi rmdanceguy1 -

Glad things are going so well! Love that you're going to be taking additional classes. That is fantastic!

In terms of weather, oh, my gosh, it's still horrible. It's freezing and now we're caught up in about four or five days of rain. I can't believe it, but the winter is hanging on and spring is absolutely miserable.

They're also doing work in my apartment building which means I would love it to be sunny -- or at least warm enough to sit outside so I don't hear the noise. But with the rain and the cold weather, let's just say that it's been challenging! :)

Let us know how those additional classes go!
On Wed Jun 18, 2014 08:16 PM
Okay Dance Peeps - esp. NYCSylph:
I have a question or two for you regarding pointe shoes and hips.

I have been struggling with Gaynors - custom-built ones -as in I have to PHONE for them and they are specially made for me - due to not having any other option. I sink in the shoe no matter what I try. And, well, I have been having serious hip and back pain (same side as hip). I have been seeing a specialist chiro for it, as well as getting deep tissue massage and doing all the right things, etc. It did not relieve.

I decided to try Russian Pointe Rubin, again. This time, I got the narrowest box readily available, W2, and the shortest vamp readily available, V2, and flexible soft, which is essentially a half-shank, due to my one, metal ankle that is not very flexible.

I have had them now for three weeks doing between 1.5 and 2.5 hours of pointe - at least 1.5 hours of that in a killer class. It's been a slow-ish process to get used to them BUT...my hip pain is virtually gone.

What used to happen is my right let would have shooting pain up to the sacro, causing it to feel weak and scary.

I am trying to figure if it's because I do NOT sink in these shoes. Would sinking cause such hip pain? My right foot IS smaller than my left (the ankle is bigger, would you believe, but that's because of all the hardware). My right ankle is actually stronger than my left, but I couldn't even go up easily due to the pain in the hip.

The last pair of Rubins I had were wider, not sure if they were W3 or W4. They worked for all of two classes and then I sank like crazy. I would love to get V1, but apparently those have to be special ordered and take around 13 weeks, according to the Russian Pointe company.

Anyway, last night I had my first REAL feel for pointe in years. I was even able to do the "cockroach" step - ballones - on my right foot (not left - it's weaker, but one thing at a time). I call it the cockroach step because every time I tried them, I ended up on the floor in the dead cockroach position. It's been about 3 weeks and the shoes still support. I still don't sink, and I had NO HIP PAIN ON POINTE.

I know I still have a sacro joint issue, because of the break years ago, but it was so uplifting (pun intended) to be able to dance for the first time like I did when I was a girl. At least, part of the time. :)

So....anatomically, Ms. NYCSylph, could it be that sinking into the pointe shoe could cause that sort of hip issue? Just wondering....
Page:
Page 117 of 118: 1 2 3 4 5 112 113 114 115 116 117 118

ReplySendWatch