Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Adult Dancers

Page:
Page 3 of 118: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 114 115 116 117 118
re: Ouch! Took first pointe class in 20 years tonight!
By nycsylphmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:27 AM
Attitude1407 wrote:

OOH, that's so great that you found that perfect balance point on the Grishko's!! Isn't it a wonderful feeling?? :]

Yes, it feels almost exhilerating!

Actually, I think I do know what you mean about the lightness vs. heaviness... I still don't really consider Grishko's heavy compared to the Blochs I've worn, but I did recently try on those Mirella shoes that immediately struck me with how light they felt.

As for Freeds, I've only tried on Studio and Studio II so far and both of them just felt too funky and painful for me to notice anything else. :? I'm not sure what the problem was with them, although I suspect they were a bit "boxy" and perhaps too large a size as well.

I'm not an expert on the Studio's line. I tried on that one pair in the batch when I bought the Grishko's. To me they seemed heavy and they hurt my foot. That's why I bought the Grishko's. Because they seemed lighter and more comfortable in contrast to the Studios. I didn't really like them so when I went out to Freed's, I didn't even ask to try them on! I went straight for the Classics and they were JUST how I remember them!!!!

I'm going to try to go for a fitting sometime this weekend... I can let you know if I try on anything you might be interested to know about.

Very cool! Are you going to try on a pair of the Classics? Or do they only carry the Studios?

Oh, I'm so glad to hear about your ankle!! There may have been nothing wrong with your ankle at all, just the shoes. Since I've had Bloch B-Morphs, I've developed a tendency for a painful "snapping" in some tendon in front of the outer ankle bone... I don't remember that happening before and now it occasionally happens on flat too. I do find the shoes quite heavy and hard to move in, which is why they're also aggravating to my Achilles tendonitis.

Ouch!!! I think this was the same place the Grishko's were getting to me! And the Achilles heel is so hard to work with. I usually wake-up with a slight tightness back there. I'm still not working right and my body is just letting me know to keep my heels on the floor.

I hope you find the perfect pair of shoes that alleviate this kind of strain, honey!!

SO TRUE!! I moved from a little hole-in-the-wall studio to a pre-pro school and finally to a professional school, and found that the most horrible, destructive people are the ones who can't dance and the nicest, friendliest people are the most amazing dancers!

Yes, it's amazing how that works!!! And it's so refreshing when you go from a studio where this negativity is happening to one where dancers are just concerned with themelves and getting better. It's like, "This is the way it's supposed to be!" You immediately get better because you can concentrate on what you're doing and not offsetting the often stupid, ridiculous remarks.

I hope you feel confident enough to move up to your new teacher's pointe class soon. I wish you lots of good luck and happy dancing with your Freeds! :D

Oh, thank you, honey!!! I know it's going to take a lot of work, but I'm willing to put it in to get better. This first class in the new shoes will be a true test of where I am in skill level. I felt the other shoes were holding me back so now I'll be able to tell if I was right, or whether I really am unable to do these simple steps. It may well be that I can't do them right now because there are really no simple steps once you get on pointe! It's all that technique and strength that you're building culminating in that kind of achievement. Since it's been 20 years, I'll just accept where I am and WORK! I just first have to be sure where I am though!!!

I think the Freeds shoes tend to fit a blockier foot :) I know mine are very wide across the toes so I always needed a broader shoe, they can be a bit clumpy to start off with but are really nice when they're broken in.
I always killed Freeds Classics in a day, they would go from unbroken clog like things to mush with no in between :(

Hummingbird -

Think many people have the same experience with Freeds in terms of shredding them in one outing! It never did happen with me. It's why you often have to go through that perilous journey of trying things out and seeing how they work on your foot - and not somebody else's!

As for fitting a blockier foot, all I can say is that they seem to fit this blockhead which is a whole 'nother story!

Oh, now comes the dreaded job of sewing in ribbons and elastics!!! How much do I hate this!!!! Grrrr !!!! Why don't they have a little kiosk at the store where someone sits and sews them in for you at a nominal charge? You can bring a pair of your old shoes in and they can match where you put things and voile'! For a few pennies ... or more exactly dollars ... you'd have your shoes sewn! No poking your finger with needles! No getting your thread all twisted round! No cursing or using very bad words when the thread breaks!

*Hugs*
On Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:30 AM
Attitude1407 wrote:

OOH, that's so great that you found that perfect balance point on the Grishko's!! Isn't it a wonderful feeling?? :]

Yes, it feels almost exhilerating!

Actually, I think I do know what you mean about the lightness vs. heaviness... I still don't really consider Grishko's heavy compared to the Blochs I've worn, but I did recently try on those Mirella shoes that immediately struck me with how light they felt.

As for Freeds, I've only tried on Studio and Studio II so far and both of them just felt too funky and painful for me to notice anything else. :? I'm not sure what the problem was with them, although I suspect they were a bit "boxy" and perhaps too large a size as well.

I'm not an expert on the Studio's line. I tried on that one pair in the batch when I bought the Grishko's. To me they seemed heavy and they hurt my foot. That's why I bought the Grishko's. Because they seemed lighter and more comfortable in contrast to the Studios. I didn't really like them so when I went out to Freed's, I didn't even ask to try them on! I went straight for the Classics and they were JUST how I remember them!!!!

I'm going to try to go for a fitting sometime this weekend... I can let you know if I try on anything you might be interested to know about.

Very cool! Are you going to try on a pair of the Classics? Or do they only carry the Studios?

Oh, I'm so glad to hear about your ankle!! There may have been nothing wrong with your ankle at all, just the shoes. Since I've had Bloch B-Morphs, I've developed a tendency for a painful "snapping" in some tendon in front of the outer ankle bone... I don't remember that happening before and now it occasionally happens on flat too. I do find the shoes quite heavy and hard to move in, which is why they're also aggravating to my Achilles tendonitis.

Ouch!!! I think this was the same place the Grishko's were getting to me! And the Achilles heel is so hard to work with. I usually wake-up with a slight tightness back there. I'm still not working right and my body is just letting me know to keep my heels on the floor.

I hope you find the perfect pair of shoes that alleviate this kind of strain, honey!!

SO TRUE!! I moved from a little hole-in-the-wall studio to a pre-pro school and finally to a professional school, and found that the most horrible, destructive people are the ones who can't dance and the nicest, friendliest people are the most amazing dancers!

Yes, it's amazing how that works!!! And it's so refreshing when you go from a studio where this negativity is happening to one where dancers are just concerned with themelves and getting better. It's like, "This is the way it's supposed to be!" You immediately get better because you can concentrate on what you're doing and not offsetting the often stupid, ridiculous remarks.

I hope you feel confident enough to move up to your new teacher's pointe class soon. I wish you lots of good luck and happy dancing with your Freeds! :D

Oh, thank you, honey!!! I know it's going to take a lot of work, but I'm willing to put it in to get better. This first class in the new shoes will be a true test of where I am in skill level. I felt the other shoes were holding me back so now I'll be able to tell if I was right, or whether I really am unable to do these simple steps. It may well be that I can't do them right now because there are really no simple steps once you get on pointe! It's all that technique and strength that you're building culminating in that kind of achievement. Since it's been 20 years, I'll just accept where I am and WORK! I just first have to be sure where I am though!!!

I think the Freeds shoes tend to fit a blockier foot :) I know mine are very wide across the toes so I always needed a broader shoe, they can be a bit clumpy to start off with but are really nice when they're broken in.
I always killed Freeds Classics in a day, they would go from unbroken clog like things to mush with no in between :(

Hummingbird -

Think many people have the same experience with Freeds in terms of shredding them in one outing! It never did happen with me. It's why you often have to go through that perilous journey of trying things out and seeing how they work on your foot - and not somebody else's!

As for fitting a blockier foot, all I can say is that they seem to fit this blockhead which is a whole 'nother story!

Oh, now comes the dreaded job of sewing in ribbons and elastics!!! How much do I hate this!!!! Grrrr !!!! Why don't they have a little kiosk at the store where someone sits and sews them in for you at a nominal charge? You can bring a pair of your old shoes in and they can match where you put things and voile'! For a few pennies ... or more exactly dollars ... you'd have your shoes sewn! No poking your finger with needles! No getting your thread all twisted round! No cursing or using very bad words when the thread breaks!

*Hugs*
On Wed Sep 16, 2009 08:13 PM
Chapter 3,356 NYCSylph goes to yet another Intermediate Class and tries another new teacher!

So I went to another new teacher tonight. He's supposed to be a hot shot and I noticed that he has the best dancers in the entire school going to his class. I was really intimidated and I looked at the schedule and saw that the class is listed as Intermediate which I should be able to do - not well or anything - but just the steps. And I figured, if he gives an unbelievably fast or hard combo, I'll either sit it out or do what I can.

Soooo I waited for the class in the hallway and there were all these dancers that looked like pros out there. Not one clunker in the group - oh, wait! That would be me.

The other class ended and we went into class. I tried to stand in an inconspicuous place where I could see myself in the mirror. Okay, I didn't do so well and stood at the barre - in the exact spot - where he stands to demonstrate.

Well, first he introduces himself and I tell him my name and then he goes around and does that to a couple of other people who I guess were new to his class. Then he gives the first combo at the barre. It was simple and even I could do it. It was just a warm-up for the little footsies.

Anyway, I did the class. He's a choreographer so the combinations were challenging - both at the barre and in the center, BUT again something came back big time!!! While the woman I took on Monday got me to use/rediscover my upper back (where oh where had it gone and been all these years!), he reintroduced me to epaulement which in term made me aware I'm not using my torso ... at all!!! Not for turns, nothing, zilch, nada!!!! It also comes in really handy when doing arabesques and such. Well, you all know that, but I'm rediscovering things!

I also rediscovered my psoas!!!! I can finally disengage that stupid hip, pinch in at my waist and feel that hip socket to do my developpes. This is especially true for my arabesque. I stood on my right foot and fiddled with that psoas/hip spot and my left leg just went - ding!!! It didn't look bad - a little low - but my back was up and my supporting side wasn't collapsing.

This is what I need! I feel I'm really on the right track!!! Sometimes we think small and it's good to learn the basics, but other times it's just better to push yourself and take up challenges! It helps to work with the really, really, really good teachers and not play it safe doing tendus and glissades every week. You never get stronger, you never get better and isn't that why we're in class?

In unison: YES!!!!!

Anyway, I'm really overjoyed and happy. It's not that I did all that well (screwed up every single combination), but I'm really feeling my body again!!!! And remembering things!!!!!!

I should blog the name of all these teachers I'm finding to help others out.

Maybe I just will do that!!!
By Serendipity42Premium member
On Wed Sep 16, 2009 08:24 PM
It's amazing how different teachers can find different ways to approach things and ZING! you suddenly are able to do something. Last Friday, my teacher told me about how to put my hip over my leg. At first I thought he meant almost sitting in it, but that wasn't it at all. Now I'm working on getting the right combination of stretching in the hip joint while also putting my weight over the appropriate leg for one legged balancing. Confused? Me, too, but man! what a difference in balancing!!

Exciting, isn't it???
By odile53
On Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:07 PM
Great! Isn't a choreographed barre fun, even if we flub it up? Gives something for the old brain to try to wrap itself around.

And I agree--challenge is how we improve and develop our strength.

No suggestions on the shoes. I'm a semitapered with compressible metatarsals, a high arch and overly flexible ankles. My big thing is keeping myself squarely on the box to avoid a sprain. Lifting and placing that hip right over there to keep the line firm and rooted is something that at first eluded me when I returned, but rediscovering my psoas really was the key that unlocked this. I get a sports massage once a month just to keep anything from freezing up on me. It seems to help a lot.

I'm bracing myself for tomorrow night's class, because tomorrow is flu shot day at work and I always get body aches from that afterward, but I think with a pandemic going on, I have to get this taken care of early this season. My thought is to be achy enough from class that I won't notice the shot aches, but I may be way off base here!

Keep us all posted!
By Attitude1407
On Thu Sep 17, 2009 08:02 PM
NYCSylph, I'm so happy for you that you've found such a great class with another great teacher!! (And since you didn't say anything to the contrary, I assume he was nice, too?) Isn't it exciting and so much fun when you find a challenging class with a very, very knowledgeable teacher who opens up worlds of possibility and discovery for you? I've been fortunate to have, I would say, two teachers like this... Well, you know what happened with the first, and now I'm just hoping I can get a more advanced class with the second because the adult classes I've been taking have been slow for me.

You've given me some inspiration and encouragement with this:
nycsylph wrote:

Sometimes we think small and it's good to learn the basics, but other times it's just better to push yourself and take up challenges! It helps to work with the really, really, really good teachers and not play it safe doing tendus and glissades every week. You never get stronger, you never get better and isn't that why we're in class?

In unison: YES!!!!!

My new school does make exceptions to the age limit of 18, but so far I've been afraid to question the matter further... During registration week, before I ever went there, I e-mailed them to ask if I was eligible for placement at my age (20) and the receptionist told me no. I haven't asked again, but I know I'm missing out on so much. Now, though, I think I'm going to make an effort to try to gain permission to audition for the school. :)

That won't, however, be until I get new pointe shoes... And I think I'll be postponing my fitting a day or two. Just yesterday I had the brilliant idea to try wearing my shoes without my Ouch Pouches, just relying on the box liners (are you familiar with those things?) and the built-in little foam cushion the shoes have. They were actually quite comfortable that way, even with my bruised toenail, and I felt very stable... The problem was that I went ahead and wore them this way for a 90-minute class, and around the hour mark, during petit allegro, I suddenly felt skin tear along the side of my big toe. Grand allegro followed and that was a "joy"!! :P When class was over, I found a ripped blister about an inch long, almost the full length of the toe. Amazingly it didn't bleed, but it's red and oozing and OY, is it painful!! It stings like a gigantic papercut. I would have been fine if the box liner hadn't shifted... The lesson learned is not to trust such measly protection -- just keep my reliable Ouch Pouches. ;)

I'm so glad that you are so happy in your dancing and feeling it all coming back to you. *Hugs* Keep up the great work, my friend!! :D
On Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:48 PM
Great! Isn't a choreographed barre fun, even if we flub it up? Gives something for the old brain to try to wrap itself around.

Odile53 -

Absolutely! Although my brain now only works in spurts ... but it does still work so I'm happy!

No suggestions on the shoes. I'm a semitapered with compressible metatarsals, a high arch and overly flexible ankles. My big thing is keeping myself squarely on the box to avoid a sprain. Lifting and placing that hip right over there to keep the line firm and rooted is something that at first eluded me when I returned, but rediscovering my psoas really was the key that unlocked this. I get a sports massage once a month just to keep anything from freezing up on me. It seems to help a lot.

Yes, well, this is the reason that I loved Ludmila Raianova's floor barre class so much. Every single one of the exercises has you specifically generating the movement for the legs from the ... yes, pelvis/groin/psoas!!! If you're not feeling it from your groin, you are not doing the exercises correctly! The whole time is just spent getting your legs acquainted with this new friend. I'm really feeling it more and more and it really helps.

I'm bracing myself for tomorrow night's class, because tomorrow is flu shot day at work and I always get body aches from that afterward, but I think with a pandemic going on, I have to get this taken care of early this season. My thought is to be achy enough from class that I won't notice the shot aches, but I may be way off base here!

Sounds about right to me, but then I may be in one of those periods of time when my brain is relaxing. I tell you, when I went to Freeds, one of the pointe salesgirl was relating a story about her school. I guess she teaches ballet and she was talking about how she was sick and they tell people that are sick to stay home because of the threat of spreading swine flu. I just put my hand over my mouth and tried to stop breathing which only works for a very, very short amount of time!

Because of this threat I'm suspicious of everyone as they may be potential infectors. And you can't tell the difference between the flu, colds and good ole allergies! I was in my local faxing place and the man there is a good friend. However, he was coughing and sneezing. I was like, "Uh oh!" and was going to back out of the place, but I bravely walked up to the counter and asked him, "So you have a cold or what?" Turns out it was just allergies - non-contagious and very common. I just need to chill!

My new school does make exceptions to the age limit of 18, but so far I've been afraid to question the matter further... During registration week, before I ever went there, I e-mailed them to ask if I was eligible for placement at my age (20) and the receptionist told me no. I haven't asked again, but I know I'm missing out on so much. Now, though, I think I'm going to make an effort to try to gain permission to audition for the school. :)

Attitude1407 -

Oh, absolutely, honey!!! Go for it!!! You're at that age where you can just soak these things in!!! And develop your talents and to do that you need the right teachers! Don't ever be shy about going for what you want! What I've found is: People are REALLY good at saying no! So if the answer is really no, they'll tell you. But the thing is, what if the answer is really yes and you never asked?

The problem was that I went ahead and wore them this way for a 90-minute class, and around the hour mark, during petit allegro, I suddenly felt skin tear along the side of my big toe. Grand allegro followed and that was a "joy"!! :P

Ouch!!!! I feel in pain for you!!! I know exactly what that must have felt like! I think anyone that's ever taken pointe does! I hate when it happens to because you just have to protect that area until the skin grows back. It always seems to take so long!!!

Well, now for the good news. I received an early (very early) birthday gift! It's an old book called, " The Bolshoi Ballet!" Oh, my God!!!! It's chockful of gorgeous, beautiful, amazing pictures of the superstars of the Bolshoi Ballet!!!! I spent the day looking through it! It's pretty old and the pages are coming apart, but you know it's one of the best gifts I've ever gotten in my entire life!!! Oh, these ballerinas were just exquisite! You can see it in these pictures! I probably would have fainted dead away if I ever saw them in person!

I should bring it to class and show it to Lucy (Ludmila). She took class with a lot of these people - Pliteskaya and Maximova for instance. And can I tell you that it seemed it was impossible for Maximova to take a bad picture! She is just freakin' exquisite!! And her legs!!!

I am renewed and refreshed and ready to take on these classes!! I sewed in my ribbons and elastics ... did a really horrible job and stuck myself about 3,000 times, but they're sewn on the shoes ... somewhere! I think they're probably attached to the couch also since I was sitting on it when I sewed them!

Yikes!
By odile53
On Fri Sep 18, 2009 04:58 AM
A couple of efficiency tips to sew on those bleeping elastics and ribbons. Or you can just use duct tape, which is what I've been tempted to do a few times.

Never use a piece of thread more than about 18 inches long when doubled. When removing it from the spool, cut the thread and then thread the needle from the end you just cut. Something about the way the thread is twisted when manufactured and then loaded onto the spool when it is manufactured makes this a real issue if you thread the needle from the other end. I hope that makes sense. It holds true for all threads, from delicate ones to dental floss, by the way.

Double the thread on your needle and knot the ends. Then, hold the knot and let the needle hang downward before even starting to sew. This untwists the thread.

Every time you notice the thread starting to twist, stop sewing, hold the shoe out so that the needle freely hangs downward. This untwists the thread again. Resume sewing.

Use a thimble on your third finger (yeah, "the finger" finger,) to push the tip of the needle through the fabric of the shoe.

Don't get too hung up about not going through the satin. If you've used a suitably light colored thread, it's invisible at ten paces. Do get hung up about not going through the drawstring casing.

When you finish sewing, take a couple of stitches, wrap the thread around the needle twice, pull through, and repeat. Then cut off the loose thread. I've seen girls attempting to tie a knot in the thread alone, and it doesn't really work well.

With a little practice you can get very efficient at this. I got so good at it that all of the kids wanted me to sew their ribbons. I got tired of it and told them it would cost them five bucks for me to do so!
On Fri Sep 18, 2009 09:12 PM
odile53 wrote:

A couple of efficiency tips to sew on those bleeping elastics and ribbons. Or you can just use duct tape, which is what I've been tempted to do a few times.

When you finish sewing, take a couple of stitches, wrap the thread around the needle twice, pull through, and repeat. Then cut off the loose thread. I've seen girls attempting to tie a knot in the thread alone, and it doesn't really work well. ...

First thank you so much for writing all this down for me! You are wonderful!!!

I understood everything up to this point. What do you wrap the thread around the needle? I mean, I know literally what to do, but can't wrap my brain about how this would tie a knot at the bottom which is where you want it to be. I put my needle through the material, then don't pull the thread flat. I put the needle through the little loop that's left and pull tight. This makes a knot flush against the material. {Let's just say that I'm a control freak.}

With a little practice you can get very efficient at this. I got so good at it that all of the kids wanted me to sew their ribbons. I got tired of it and told them it would cost them five bucks for me to do so!

Now this part sounds good to me. I mean, where you did the sewing and not where I get efficient.

I'm telling you, if we lived a little closer, I would gladly give you the five bucks to do this for me!!!

Thanks again!!!!

Just two more days and I can try out my shoes!!!

[jumps up and down clapping]
By hummingbird
On Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:28 AM
If you wrap the thread around your needle and than pull the needle through it's the same as tying a knot in the thread, another way to finish off your work is to do three tiny stitches all on top of each other, thats how I finish off all of my sewing and dressmaking hand stitching and it works really well.
By odile53
On Sat Sep 19, 2009 07:12 PM
The needle wrap technique of tying a knot is a surgical trick. It produces a knot that lies a little flatter. If you have "princess and the pea" feet, you wouldn't feel this knot, even if it's right next to your skin and done with dental floss instead of lighter weight thread.

BTW--I'm currently in Gaynors. Yeah, I know--cheater shoes, yadda, yadda. Got approved for them when they discontinued my old Ulanova IIs, and they work well for my compressible mets. I think, at this point in my dancing, I know better than to let the shank prop me up! But they are an absolute beast to sew, because the so-called sockliner is really fused with the satin. So it's difficult to sew through the sockliner without a thimble.

Forgot to mention--use something called a crewel needle instead of a needle marked as "sharp." It has an elongated eye which makes it easier to thread for our presbyopic eyes!
On Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:26 PM
hummingbird wrote:

If you wrap the thread around your needle and than pull the needle through it's the same as tying a knot in the thread, another way to finish off your work is to do three tiny stitches all on top of each other, thats how I finish off all of my sewing and dressmaking hand stitching and it works really well.

Hummingbird -

I like the three tiny stitches! I think I do two, but I'll try the three!!!

Should monogram my initials also ... ?????

----

The needle wrap technique of tying a knot is a surgical trick. It produces a knot that lies a little flatter. If you have "princess and the pea" feet, you wouldn't feel this knot, even if it's right next to your skin and done with dental floss instead of lighter weight thread.

Surgical trick? Yikes!

I have to laugh at the way I've always stiched the elastics/ribbons in my shoes. It's as if someone is going to take a bungee dive off a cliff and these stitches need to hold the weight of the person or they'll plunge into the ravine!

BTW--I'm currently in Gaynors. Yeah, I know--cheater shoes, yadda, yadda.

Honest! I wasn't going to say a word!!

Got approved for them when they discontinued my old Ulanova IIs, and they work well for my compressible mets. I think, at this point in my dancing, I know better than to let the shank prop me up! But they are an absolute beast to sew, because the so-called sockliner is really fused with the satin. So it's difficult to sew through the sockliner without a thimble.

People really don't think they do the work for you do they? I mean, they do fouettes? And balances? And arabesques? And everything else that goes on in ballet? They're like the red shoes? You just strap them on and they carry you blithely through difficult choreography!!! Yeah, right!

It's very strange how people get this idea of what's "cheating" in their minds. As you said, you know what your body needs at this point and if you want to wear them, absolutely go ahead and do so! Plus I heard they last longer so it might save people money if they're in that sort of financial situation. What is that cheating too?

Speaking of cheating, I'm waiting for one of those Surrogate things. I heard a bit about this new movie called Surrogates with Bruce Willis. I guess they're androids that are programmed to live out your dreams and you just stay safe or on the couch or something. Now that's what I'm talking about!!! I'll have that android ballerina programmed to do 1,859 fouettes - on both sides - and send her off to an advanced clas! I want a film of it though!

Forgot to mention--use something called a crewel needle instead of a needle marked as "sharp." It has an elongated eye which makes it easier to thread for our presbyopic eyes!

Woo-hoo!!! Threading needles! Yup! Adds to the horrible experience of sewing in those ribbons!
By hummingbird
On Sun Sep 20, 2009 09:08 AM
You can get self threading needles too :) No I'm not kidding you, they have a V at the top of the eye that you can press the thread through and then the metal in the V springs back to keep the thread in.
odile53 wrote:

BTW--I'm currently in Gaynors. Yeah, I know--cheater shoes, yadda, yadda

If the shoe fits, it's the right shoe. I have one of my seniors in Gaynors and they are totally the best shoe for her foot and I challenge anyone to say otherwise.
By odile53
On Sun Sep 20, 2009 04:19 PM
Oh, yeah! They absolutely are cheater shoes--LOL! If you look REAL CLOSE you can see a little wind-up key right underneath the side drawstring opening. You have to grow your fingernails a little to get at those keys! You just put those honeys on, wind up the keys, and they do grand jetes across the floor, no effort on your part, don't you know? You DO have to be careful to wind the keys up evenly, and each winding only lasts half an hour, so you have to time it just so! Otherwise you might find yourself just standing there, midstage, in the middle of a performance!

Anyways, that's what I told the last little nitwit who accused me of wearing cheater shoes! She seemed stupid enough to believe it!

I have a couple backup pairs in the junk room. The current pair has failed. I don't feel like climbing through the junk room. Maybe if I just whistle, they'll dance out by themselves--LOL!

I can't believe people still believe such drivel! My teacher thinks I'm experienced enough to be able to work in anything I want, and told me to go right ahead and get them if it meant comfort and protection of my feet, especially at my age. She also advised me to fit myself, as I have very odd feet. One fitter put me in Sonatas when I went back up; the platform was way too high and even with a strong and solid core I would have needed a crane to keep myself out of that box! They were way too square for me. Next were the Synergies--again, a little too square but a lower profile that kind of worked (one foot has a strange bunion that goes up as well as out.) The stores around here are pretty heavily into stocking Blochs, by the way. Then the Ulanova IIs which seemed to be pretty good, right up until Grishko discontinued them. So I got the Gaynor fitting form, shanghaied my poor husband into tracing my stinky feet, and sent the data off. Two weeks later I had the #3 extraflexes in my grubby paws, and they fit like a dream. I've had all ten toenails now for over a year!

I get a little defensive about them at times, but at my studio, I guess everyone figures that if I'm crazy enough to be doing pointe at my age, they're not going to mess with me by making "cheater shoe" comments, at least not to my face!
On Sun Sep 20, 2009 04:46 PM
I keep trying other shoes and keep coming back to Gaynors. They aren't cheater shoes for me - my butt still hurts after an hour's pointe class! LOL!

I wouldn't put a beginner in them, unless they had very very strong feet, but once they've been dancing for about two years, why not? After all, the idea is to dance beautifully. They won't help you if you can't do it in other shoes, but they will help if you do have a strong foot.

I loved the Principal Diamonds that one fitter put me in, but at over $100 a pair, I need them to last more than 2 weeks - which is about how long those lasted, and that was with about 2 hours of pointe a week!

No shoe is a cheater shoe....not for long, at least. You'll end up in pain if you think that you can get away with not pulling up out of the shoe or using your turnout, etc., regardless of the shoe you're using.

So there!
On Sun Sep 20, 2009 05:00 PM
You can get self threading needles too :) No I'm not kidding you, they have a V at the top of the eye that you can press the thread through and then the metal in the V springs back to keep the thread in.

I actually know you're not kidding because I have heard of these. I'd rather still rather hire someone to thread my needle - and sew my shoes!

odile53 wrote:

Oh, yeah! They absolutely are cheater shoes--LOL! If you look REAL CLOSE you can see a little wind-up key right underneath the side drawstring opening.

And here I thought there were little hamsters running on a wheel generating the power those shoes needed to dance on their own!

Anyways, that's what I told the last little nitwit who accused me of wearing cheater shoes! She seemed stupid enough to believe it!

I think I know here - wait! I think I am her!

I get a little defensive about them at times, but at my studio, I guess everyone figures that if I'm crazy enough to be doing pointe at my age, they're not going to mess with me by making "cheater shoe" comments, at least not to my face!

Maybe they should come with a little water pistol. You could squirt it on the person's point shoes and saw their box needed a little softening!

I took another pointe class. I want that one back. I did everything wrong and was tucking again. That means my legs were out in front and not underneath me!!!!

I had on my new, lovey dovey Freed's. The shoes did not hurt at all, but because I was working all wrong ... well, garbage in ... garbage out. I am so very disappointed in myself. I truly suck. I looked horrible. It's times like these I feel like packing up my dance bag and shuffling into the sunset.

The reason I'm mentioning this little hiccup in the road of life is because you brought up Gaynor's and at the end of today's class I had a little conversation about them. I came out to see two of the participants in today's travesty (for me anyway - for them like cruise to Jamaica!), speaking about pointe shoes. The one had hers in this bright green bag and the other one said her bag was yellow. I was like, "What?" I had no idea what they were talking about. then I saw on the green bag the words, "Gaynor Minden." I was like, "Ah-ha!!! Cheater shoes ... no, no, I didn't think that at all! I'm just playing with you Odile53. Please don't hunt me down and hurt me! LOL

No, actually I was thinking all during class that this girl had great feet and I do think that the shoes helped them along. I don't think they turned not so great feet into great feet. That's not what I'm saying. I think they do amplify what you have! So if that's what people are talking about then yes, they have pre-formed arches which are going to aid the foot in looking good and in springing up, but that's about it, but my Freed's were fine. They weren't the problem. I was the problem. I was working badly in them. I'm going to have to practice a little at home and just make sure to not tuck!!!!!

OOOO hhhh!!!! I'm so mad at myself!!!! Seriously, I'm one hundred years old and I can't remember not to tuck!!! And to keep my legs underneath me?!!!!

[hits head against wall a few times]

Right now, I'm like a balloon that had the air let out of it. I feel mushy, stupid and like a big, ole dolt! But I will not give up! Not yet!! Those shoes are great and I just need to be up to making them proud!
On Sun Sep 20, 2009 05:10 PM
nycsylph wrote:

Right now, I'm like a balloon that had the air let out of it. I feel mushy, stupid and like a big, ole dolt! But I will not give up! Not yet!! Those shoes are great and I just need to be up to making them proud!

LOL! Welcome to my world....
On Mon Sep 21, 2009 09:09 AM
Serendipity42 wrote:

nycsylph wrote:

LOL! Welcome to my world....

You are so funny!

I hope you're not in this world often and that you escape it soon!

What is that saying? When the going gets tough, the tough get going!! So let's you and me dance our way to a happier place!

As long as it's not fouette our way to a happier place! Can imagine me trying to do those on pointe right now!!!
By Attitude1407
On Mon Sep 21, 2009 09:40 AM
Both of you, don't feel bad -- that's my world, too! NYCSylph, you're right, though: "When the going gets tough, the tough get going"! I'm trying to be hopeful... You all should, too. :) Keep trying!!

Oh yeah, God help me too if I had to fouette my way to a happier place! :P
On Mon Sep 21, 2009 02:16 PM
Attitude1407 wrote:

Both of you, don't feel bad -- that's my world, too! NYCSylph, you're right, though: "When the going gets tough, the tough get going"! I'm trying to be hopeful... You all should, too. :) Keep trying!!

Oh yeah, God help me too if I had to fouette my way to a happier place! :P

Absolutely! Being down on yourself for a bad performance/class only means you care! And I've never seen a truly great performer just sit down on the stage and refuse to dance anymore because he/she made a mistake or is not quite on!

They tough it through and that's what makes them who they are! They definitely know they're not dancing their best, but it doesn't matter. They're TRYING to do their best, and that's what counts!!!

Group hug!!!!
By odile53
On Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:06 PM
I've been known to tell new people at the adult class to not try to copy me, because I suck! Usually, that follows some faux pas, like spaghetti arms, sitting in the hip, and so forth. Yeah, we all do it. The stinking Bolshoi does it. So does ABT. So does every single dancer who ever tied on a pair of these medieval torture instruments to their unsuspecting feet which God never intended for people to stand on the very end of!

Don't pack up your bag and shuffle off into the sunset just yet! I may just have to hunt you down if you do! Although I wouldn't clobber you, I'd just cut off your ribbons so you'd have to sew them all over again--LOL!

The way I figure it, is this: If about five years ago they let John Glenn put on a space suit and go up in a shuttle at the age of 83, if my health holds out, I fully expect to do this as long as I can, as long as I enjoy it! And I expect no less from any other adult ballet dancer who is worth her rosin!

It sure as hell beats sitting in front of the boob tube and eating bonbons! I'd rather wear out than rust out!

By the way, I can't post pictures: My computer is as superannuated as I am! I may update in the near future, but some part of me that is just pure cussedness refuses to do so.

I think that pure cussedness is the reason I still do pointe. What other person, nearing retirement age, would dream of doing this to themselves unless there was some little bit of stubbornness, some near-compulsion to stretch the envelope and see how far they could stretch it, some sheer delight in knocking out something rock-solid and perfect, some DRIVE? The author, Tom Wolfe, called it "The Right Stuff." The reason we do this to ourselves is a piece of that.

Dance on, Sylph! And I like your idea of installing little squirt guns on my Gaynors!
On Tue Sep 22, 2009 04:51 AM
Awww... you guys are great! :)

I had a kick-butt class tonight - one was a make up class for a missed one on Friday, the second was my regular class. The teacher is lovely - does a dance-y barre. I had to step out of jumps, of course (which I can't do till I get the all clear from my doc) but also didn't do some of the fouettes and other turns. Just was too tired from the extra class, I guess.

But the teacher spoke to me after class and showed me what I can do to help the turns, the ones I did earlier in the class. I'm so pleased to get the help and will try it. It's lovely that she (a new teacher to me) took that time. I wonder if she didn't wish to correct me in front of the students (who are all teens). In any case, it was quite a boost to get that correction.

Have a nice, simple class tonight. :)
On Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:07 AM
First, I gotta say that you guys are great!!! You're just what I need and who's better than DDN'ers? That's right ... NO ONE!!!!

odile53 wrote:

So does every single dancer who ever tied on a pair of these medieval torture instruments to their unsuspecting feet which God never intended for people to stand on the very end of!

Are you sure about this? I have a feeling Our Creator gave us tippy toes for the express purpose of standing on them!

I'd just cut off your ribbons so you'd have to sew them all over again--LOL!

Oh, noooo !!!! Anything, but that! You know just where to hit me where it hurts!!! I'll behave!!!

I think that pure cussedness is the reason I still do pointe. What other person, nearing retirement age, would dream of doing this to themselves unless there was some little bit of stubbornness, some near-compulsion to stretch the envelope and see how far they could stretch it, some sheer delight in knocking out something rock-solid and perfect, some DRIVE? The author, Tom Wolfe, called it "The Right Stuff." The reason we do this to ourselves is a piece of that.

Well, what you have to say is quite eloquent. And I would love to see things in this light, but why if I have "The Right Stuff," do I persist in doing all "The Wrong Stuff?"

I totally agree that there was way easier things to do than this. Bowling ... pitching horseshoes ... miniature golf. Actually I like all those, but I wanna dance ballet! And I'm with you in that if my body is willing to let me, then I'll keep trying!

Dance on, Sylph! And I like your idea of installing little squirt guns on my Gaynors!

I will try. It's still not exactly dancing yet. And I know this is cyclical. I get the drill by this time. I had really, really, really good classes so now comes the backpedaling. Don't know why that happens, but it does. I just need to work through this dry patch and then I'll be a little further along than I was before. This is just the way I've always progressed.

I had a kick-butt class tonight - one was a make up class for a missed one on Friday, the second was my regular class. The teacher is lovely - does a dance-y barre.

Serendipity42 -

Yeah, for you!! Aren't those kind of classes wonderful!!! That's how I felt last week. My body and mind were singing and happy! I felt like one of those little sparrows in the trees. There was a spring in my step and I bounced along barely touching the ground!

Then the weekend happened ... grrrr !!!!

But the teacher spoke to me after class and showed me what I can do to help the turns, the ones I did earlier in the class. I'm so pleased to get the help and will try it. It's lovely that she (a new teacher to me) took that time. I wonder if she didn't wish to correct me in front of the students (who are all teens). In any case, it was quite a boost to get that correction.

Sometimes they do that. I'm not sure why. I've seen them do it with all levels. It could be you're right, but I've seen them pull aside youngsters and help them along. Sometimes it has to do with the flow of the class. Sometimes they can give correctios and not interrupt the flow, and other times? They wait until after class. Maybe it depends on how complicated or how much time they need to spend?

Yes, you should be quite pleased with your wonderful self that she took this time out to correct you! I still haven't seen that tape with Katherine Healy giving advice on turns. Since I witnessed her spectacularness in person, I'm interested to hear what she had to say. It was so funny to watch her after class in the dressing room. There were always a couple of people who would corner her and ask for advice on turning. She was always so very gracious when put upon like this. I was always thinking, "Hey, let the girl get dressed will ya?" but I well knew the desperation that overtakes those of us who are having problems with turns. In my case, I just tied my legs together with those pointe ribbons to prevent myself for imposing on her time.

Anyway, keep up the good work! I hope you're 100% in no time at all! And it's nice that you can still go to class and work on your technique and keep in shape. I know sometimes things can knock us out of even doing that!

Love you all!!!

[starts singing "You lift me up!"]
[Odile53 squirts her Gaynor water pistols at her until she stops]

XOXOXOXXOXOXOXOXXOXOXOXOXO
By odile53
On Tue Sep 22, 2009 06:00 PM
Okay, I'll put down the water pistols if you promise not to sing--LOL!

I think part of the reason that your teacher pulled you aside after class is precisely because of the fact that you are (as I am) a little over the hill, for a dancer, anyways. My teacher likes to work one on one with each of us adults when we are struggling with something. As we age, anatomies change and are less malleable. And sometimes some technique needs to be modified a little. It doesn't make sense for an adult to go for a couple extra degrees of turnout or a half inch of elevation if technique goes to hell. Some of us have old injuries that need to be compensated for. All of these things are the job of a good teacher. Any intermediate dancer can stand up there, syllabus in hand, and give class. Last year when my teacher took a couple weeks off to go on a well-deserved vacation and the building was having new heating put in during the summer, some of us got the dance studio in the recreation building in my old college a few nights and took turns giving class. It was just working out, as far as I'm concerned, a way to maintain strength. Like I said, just about anyone can give class. But a teacher is supposed to unlock strengths, unknot difficulties, and usher in breakthroughs. Big company soloists work with the ballet master/mistress all the time to modify choreography to highlight their strong points and accommodate their weaker ones. My teacher really likes to get a few minutes alone with a dancer and really analyze what is going on. With me, it's jumps of any sort. I'm a turner, not a jumper. Turns out I really wasn't using the floor as well as I could be. Hand position is another weird thing I do; I've noticed myself in the mirror clenching hands in fists while doing a particularly difficult barre combination (our teacher loves to choreograph barre, and frequently gives small variations in it.) In one ports de bras, I looked as if I was doing the backstroke!

Most of us have to "stay after school" about once every six weeks for about fifteen minutes. Usually, that much is plenty to get us over whatever hump we're currently dealing with.

Also, consider this: For any given thing people like us are working on in ballet, the learning curve started approximately four decades ago. It hasn't gone up in a linear fashion, or even a slow exponential curve. Instead, it's been more like a sine wave, or even a helix. We do keep coming around to the same thing again and again. We frequently hit plateaus. We have occasional periods of voluntary or involuntary layoff, sometimes complicated by injuries. Also, we're more analytical than children are. That is the way adults learn.

I also suspect that the teacher considered that if you are willing to do pointework as an adult, you are obviously serious about your goals.

Anyways, I'm all for it. There aren't enough teachers who take adult dancers seriously. And the little bunhead mice don't need a show featuring the senior member of the class getting extra homework!
On Thu Sep 24, 2009 04:15 AM
Aaargh! I had a reply last night but my computer froze in the middle. Grr...

Anyway, I'm pleased she pulled me aside, as I wasn't sure she was even caring much about what I did. That little hint on the pirouettes works a treat! Now I just have to make it automatic.

I had nice corrections in my second ballet class last night. First class was a two hour pointe class (yes, my toes are not happy but I did okay!). I got almost NO correction or notice of any sort, which does upset me. There are only a few of us in the class - 5 of us now. All the others, all teens, received both encouragement and correction. I really felt like an "add-on" in that class.

Then went to the other school and had a correction by the teacher at least once every other exercise. It was nice to hear my name called out for those and to know what needs fixing. Sad, isn't it??? :)

I have five different teachers over the course of the week. If at least two of them notice the same thing (which is usually what happens), then I know it's not a fluke but a real issue that needs work.

On the plus side, more confidence came back in pointe class last night - although I still messed up on remembering the combo steps, I still was able to DANCE it!! :)
Page:
Page 3 of 118: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 114 115 116 117 118

ReplySendWatch