Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Adult Dancers

Page:
Page 4 of 118: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 114 115 116 117 118
re: Ouch! Took first pointe class in 20 years tonight!
By nycsylphmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Sep 24, 2009 08:07 AM
Serendipity42 -

Yes, it's very nice to be noticed in the correct way. I don't know what it is, but teachers usually hone right in on me. Well, what am I saying ... I know why. It's because I'm doing everything wrong! That was easy!

Went to class at my second new teacher last night, and oh, my gosh was it worth my showing up! All the studios have windows so the parents can look in on their kids. Unfortunately, the adult gerbils can also be kept an eye on!

Because of the religious holiday, the class was small yesterday - very small. I guess last week I got lost in the crowd. I thought maybe I was wrong about that old teacher and the clique she's embraced, but yesterday I found out that I was correct in my assessment.

We were down doing combinations in the center (in two groups - mine was two people), and I look up and it's my old teacher looking in the window. She had this look of ... shock ... like she'd seen a ghost sort of expression on her face! Her eyes were bulging out and her mouth was open and she was just staring at me! I just ignored her and kept dancing. What did she expect? That I was going to continue going to her class when she'd insulted me, ignored me and embraced this stupid clique that slows the whole class down? Why would I do that? Especially when there are better teachers at the school - the one I took yesterday for example! But it gets even better.

I continue with the class - screwing up left and right although I did feel some things so believe me I'm not complaining! Just wish I could remember - and execute - at least one combination properly! We start with the petit allegro and the teacher is giving the combination ... and who do I see at the window ... just staring and staring ... but "Carol's" big mouthed co-hort! Let's call her Kerry. Now Carol is this whiny passive-aggressive, who whimpers to Kerry about someone mistreating her - we're all jealous remember? - and then Kerry starts yapping away like anyone cares. She had started on me in class one-time and I told her off. Anyway, she's standing there watching and she NEVER stands and watches this class or any other class! She sits in the dressing room and runs her mouth gossiping with her clique - or with anyone that will listen.

I tried to meet her eye, but she kept looking the other way when I looked over. When I'd look away - like when I was doing the combination - she'd stare at me. Saw her in the mirror doing it.

Don't know whether the teacher said something to her or whether good news travels fast! But this just shows how silly this clique is. Why would they care who I'm taking class with? They should be happy I'm elsewhere and they have the classroom to reek havoc in without me saying something! But it seems they're still not happy!

I tell you it was two moments that makes my getting off my duff and taking class yesterday all worth it! I'm going to put Mariah Carey's "Obsessed" (Why you so obsessed with me?) on my IPod - providing I ever get an IPod!

Very happy with my teachers and my schedule. Oh, and I'm leaning into my supporting hip. Check!

XOXOXOXOXOXOXXOXOXOXO
On Thu Sep 24, 2009 07:39 PM
Chapter 3,945,837 Sylph finds another muscle!

Had a very productive evening!

Went to my pseudo-ballet class with a teacher I adore. He actually gave an option in one variation where we could throw in a pirouette and also did pirouettes during the floor barre. No, I didn't turn well at all at that point, but THEN we did a another of variation. He was getting the music cued and I turned on my own trying to figure out what the big deal was with turns and lo and behold I felt that little muscle right under the butt! It kept my turnout, kept me on my center and allowed me to control the turn!

Wow, I haven't felt that muscle in 20 years! I remember it! It's the one I used in jumps also. Right now my jumps are dismal because I'm "not under myself." This is the muscle I was not getting to.

I'm trying, trying, trying to remember exactly how it felt in those turns when I was contracting it.

Oh, happy days, lovely thoughts and soft, pink satin ribbons to all of you!!!
By Serendipity42Premium member
On Thu Sep 24, 2009 09:03 PM
nycsylph wrote:

Serendipity42 -

We were down doing combinations in the center (in two groups - mine was two people), and I look up and it's my old teacher looking in the window.

I tell you it was two moments that makes my getting off my duff and taking class yesterday all worth it! I'm going to put Mariah Carey's "Obsessed" (Why you so obsessed with me?) on my IPod - providing I ever get an IPod!

Very happy with my teachers and my schedule. Oh, and I'm leaning into my supporting hip. Check!

XOXOXOXOXOXOXXOXOXOXO

ROFL! They cannot believe you would go elsewhere, you see...they have that high an opinion of their own abilities. ;)

Well done feeling good with a new, good teacher! I have now four out of five great teachers who will take the time to correct me. The other does, but not as often. I wish she would - she's the teacher I most appreciate out of them all. She was the one who gave me back my BACK, after all these years (at least 80% of it, which is 80% more than I had before!).

I'm still working on finding the right hip muscle to balance correctly. Have to marry up two concepts. It's not easy!
By earlyearl
On Thu Sep 24, 2009 09:27 PM
cmon now aint nothing to it but to do it
On Fri Sep 25, 2009 09:46 AM
Serendipity42 wrote:

She was the one who gave me back my BACK, after all these years (at least 80% of it, which is 80% more than I had before!).

I'm still working on finding the right hip muscle to balance correctly. Have to marry up two concepts. It's not easy!

I know EXACTLY what you're saying!

Yesterday, in my pseudo ballet class, I did a saute' and my upper back was holding strong and not collapsing like it usually does. It's why my arabesque was not working - well, one of the reasons! Now I also know I'm sitting in my hip, I'm sitting down and covering up that little muscle under my butt and not using my inner thighs. I'm having the hardest time locating those twin streams that run down both sides of my inner legs. It used to just BE there! Now????

I know the muscles responsible for that feeling must still be there. They were probably just so atrophied for not taking so long, that it's taking awhile to build them up. Plus you have to really work them for them to regain strength which complicates things.

You are very lucky to have such a brilliant teacher ... and teachers really! I mean, in NY there's a plethora of teachers and classes, but you still have to find the right combination that works with where you are in your life ... and in your ballet.

I'm really regretting we're all not in the same class so we can hang out on the cool side of the room! You know, dance.net should have a dance camp, or summer workshop! One weekend or week in NY or someone easily accessible! This way we DDN'ers could get together, sit up all night roasting marshmallows and telling ballet horror stories! We have so many teachers on this site also - we could have them teach classes so we can see them strut their stuff!

I would LOVE to do something like that! It'd be so much fun meeting everyone!

XOXOXOXOXOXOXXOXOXO
On Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:26 AM
Why not come to the ADC one summer? Adult Dance Camps, in Richmond. They hold 3 each summer (there were four this year - one in Saratoga Springs, NY, but it's right in the middle of work for me).

sunkingdance.com

I met some folk from that other board there!
On Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:39 AM
Serendipity42 wrote:

Why not come to the ADC one summer? Adult Dance Camps, in Richmond. They hold 3 each summer (there were four this year - one in Saratoga Springs, NY, but it's right in the middle of work for me).

sunkingdance.com

I met some folk from that other board there!

Oh, Saratoga! That one sounds good.

I'd still rather have a DDN one where DDN'ers are the students, teachers and everything else in-between!

We'll see how the old body is holding up next year and go from there!
On Sun Oct 04, 2009 07:27 PM
Progress report ....

Yesterday, I found my psoas! No, I didn't know it was lost either, but apparently it was.

I kept remembering back to the good ole days when I actually could dance and move and jump, and I distinctly remember these two lines running up the inside of the top of my thigh, up through my pelvis. I would push one against the other and feel the resistance between them. They acted like pulleys and levers and by gosh I was right! They are there. Mine must have been so atrophied as to be pretty negligibly active.

Now if I can just remember what I did to find them! I actually laid down and did a couple of developpes and man did they feel different than what I've been doing. It's this lack of inner "center" work that's making me so unstable and so horrible on pointe, jumps, and everything. On pointe, I really used to feel them working running right down the inside of my thighs.

Hopefully, now that I definitely know they're there and that they still work, I'll be able to improve a little more. You know, I think that's also why my arabesques were so lousy. Because I used that to push that leg up and back.
On Sun Oct 04, 2009 08:03 PM
LOL! Mine won't let me forget it's there. I and my little tennis ball have become very good friends. :)

I discovered a muscle on one side of my back that I'd let off the hook until last week. I was SO sore after making it work again, but it was a good kind of sore, and it was fabulous to be able to turn without falling over! *grin*

I'm sure you understand exactly what I mean! LOL!
By Tyterope
On Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:00 PM
Oh how I love reading your tales! They are so inspirational, yet realistic and yes, I am also living vicariously through you... I just wanted to humor you with my own story... Not really related to your level of ballet, but... When I do chasses, I so desperately want my feet to meet in the air that I end up kicking my own self with my front foot's heel!... And of course my back foot yells at me... but I think it's funny... because I'm so determined to get them together... And yes, this is only one example of how bad I suck right now... but it is probably the funniest so I just had to share it with everyone... I'm so glad no one watches our class because they'd probably record it and send it off to America's Funniest Bloopers, and I don't want my 15 minutes from that! Hope I made you all laugh! Cheers! T.
On Mon Oct 05, 2009 04:06 AM
LOL! I remember doing that! Me, for some odd reason, I've lost my chaine turns on one side completely. I used to be really good at them. It's so weird. Now I wish I could tie the two heels together so they won't separate and just work through it till they're back to normal!
By odile53
On Mon Oct 05, 2009 07:51 AM
Give that sports massage idea a try. It helps to unlock the deep muscles (like the psoas.) The masseur I go to is a big guy, with big hands, and can really get the deep muscles on massage without putting his entire body weight into it like some of the masseuses have to. Once you get the psoas and glut medius (which runs under the maximus) loosened up and isolated, you won't be sitting in the supporting hip anymore. Stretches will be easier as well.
On Mon Oct 05, 2009 08:28 PM
odile53 wrote:

Give that sports massage idea a try. It helps to unlock the deep muscles (like the psoas.) The masseur I go to is a big guy, with big hands, and can really get the deep muscles on massage without putting his entire body weight into it like some of the masseuses have to. Once you get the psoas and glut medius (which runs under the maximus) loosened up and isolated, you won't be sitting in the supporting hip anymore. Stretches will be easier as well.

Oh, I spoke too soon! I'm running the following ad in the local paper:

LOST: One pair of psoas - a right and left. They are a matching pair. Very seldom used in semi-state of decay. Owner is attached to them ... correction "WAS" attached to them and desperately wants them back. Lost somewhere between home and the Dolly Dinkle School of Ballet.

----

Waaaahhh!!! I just completely couldn't find anything in my groin tonight. Or my mid-section or anything between my shoulders and the top of my gripping quad. It's the kind of class that makes one want to jump in the river ala Odette. I was horrible! The teacher did everything, but do the combinations for me and even that didn't help. She stopped the class several times to explain the combinations to me. Do you think they help? Right! I still futzed everything up.

I am cowed, humbled and sore, but I will not give up! I will march right back into that classroom all red-faced and puffy from crying and embarrassment and try again until I get it right! And I am determined to get that psoas back. Everything clicked when I found it and now ... things are clicking, but not in a good way.

Tyterope -

When I do chasses, I so desperately want my feet to meet in the air that I end up kicking my own self with my front foot's heel!...

I WISH I could have done that well tonight! I would have been pleased. At least you did a step and could get off the ground to kick yourself!

Serendipity42 -

Mine won't let me forget it's there. I and my little tennis ball have become very good friends. :)

I discovered a muscle on one side of my back that I'd let off the hook until last week. I was SO sore after making it work again, but it was a good kind of sore, and it was fabulous to be able to turn without falling over! *grin*

I'm sure you understand exactly what I mean! LOL!

I am soooo envious of you at this moment in time! Wow, you feel all those muscles ... and I feel ... blah! Double blah! I have a kangaroo pouch beneath my belly button, that's it.

Back to the drawing board.

P.S. I know EXACTLY what you mean!!! LOL
On Mon Oct 05, 2009 08:40 PM
[q=nycsylph
I am soooo envious of you at this moment in time! Wow, you feel all those muscles ... and I feel ... blah! Double blah! I have a kangaroo pouch beneath my belly button, that's it.

I'm sure our bellies rival each other. I won't do belly dancing because when I stop, my belly doesn't...
By odile53
On Mon Oct 05, 2009 08:51 PM
----
It's the kind of class that makes one want to jump in the river ala Odette. I was horrible!

Sorry, Sylph! Odette jumped in the lake! You're in New York City, and you don't have a lake. The lake in Central Park is a pond. So--feggedaboudit!!!

If it's any comfort to you, I've got a raging ear infection, and tonight got dizzy after one pirouette and FELL ON MY BUTT! I'm generally good at turns, I was spotting, and so forth. While I sat there on the studio floor, the room kept going around for a couple of minutes. It felt like the kind of hangover Mother used to make, the kind where your head feels like it was in an Osterizer for about half an hour on "puree." My teacher (who usually has me demo things for the adult beginners,) ran over, and after making sure nothing was broken, suggested I go home, take some cold medicine, and hit the rack.

The point of all this? You know the drill. You found all those muscles before. That means you can find them again. You'll probably lose them again, but will again find them, and so forth. Ergo: The next class will be better. Lots better!

No point in rehearsing attitudes derriere for the sole purpose of kicking yourself in the butt!

And I absolutely agree: It would be great if we all lived in the same area, and could hang out at the "cool" barre! But I think it would be more fun if we had a teacher that wasn't ON this board! Poor thing would never know what hit her!
On Tue Oct 06, 2009 09:30 AM
Odile53 -

Well, personally I think Odette was pushed. And why wouldn't she be able to handle jumping in a lake? It's not like she didn't have feathers.

Sorry about the sinus thing. Know how that is. And I know if I found them once, I theoretically should be able to find them again, but that's theory. Ballet doesn't work that way. I may or may not be able to find them and even if I do, it may take another 59 years ... man, that'll be a lot of classes!

I think actually it's most likely the teacher that wants to jump in the lake after trying to teach a class to a clodhopping yutz. It would have been nice if I had at least attempting to get my arms in any kind of position. They were sort of just flapping around, elbows akimbo. Don't know what they were doing exactly, but they certainly weren't helping me in any way at all.

The only good thing is we did this combination - step, turn in fifth, step, turn in fifth, step turn in fifth, land in second, turn from second, land in fourth, turn in fourth, land in fifth front leg behind to start on other side. When I did this on my left, I was falling over until I got to the turn from second and I actually found the underneath of my thigh and did a controlled turn from second and then from fourth. Surprised the heck out of me!

So there you go! Even in the midst of disaster, a glimmer of hope!

I remember I did have these kinds of classes when I was younger so I will keep going - if I can! If my body will allow me, I'll try and do it.
By Attitude1407
On Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:57 AM
Edited by Attitude1407 (186517) on 2009-10-06 10:59:12 typo
Nycsylph, you have such a funny way with words!! And you have a good point (no pun intended) about Odette -- I always wondered how she could die by jumping into a lake when she's a SWAN, for crying out loud!! LOL.

I know what you mean about wanting to jump into a lake, although for a different reason... In my case, it's because my new Russian Pointe Rubins are SO HARD!! They absolutely kill my toes after a while! They've been great in other ways (in fact I just pulled a triple pirouette on them last night -- YAY!), but I still do find myself longing for that lighter kind of shoe you describe... I talked with a (HIGHLY advanced) classmate who wears Freed Wing Blocks and she said what really kills Freeds quickly is sweat... Now I know some sweat leaks through my Ouch Pouches at the seams where there is no gel, so if I wore something like Gellows or Skinny Dips instead, would that protect them?

I thought I'd share something I just learned, in case it might help you. You've said before that you often feel that your legs are out in front of you and you're not over your supporting leg, and sometimes in passe (whether turning or just balancing), my upper body seems to pull slightly backward. Well, last night my teacher corrected me on this, telling me to bring my upper body a bit forward, and what really clicked was when he said, "Open your back". I realized then that I was keeping my shoulder blades pinched together and it was pulling me backward off my leg. With arms in second or fifth position, yes, the shoulder blades move closer together, but they need to separate when the arms are in first position. It almost felt like slouching at first because I'm so used to keeping that tension in my upper back, but boy did it make a difference! I could balance as long as I wanted! And as long as I remember it while turning, I can pull more turns too.
By hummingbird
On Tue Oct 06, 2009 01:38 PM
Your so right Attitude 1407, if you relax the shoulder blades then your ribs will also relax, if you pinch the shoulder blades together then the ribs will lift and stick out, it feels great, like your really pulling up but you'll pull yourself off balance.

P.S I always thought that Odette was a bit drippy myself, I mean what boyfriend gets away with cavorting with another girl... as if he couldn't tell the difference. One was in Black, the other was in white, all he needed was a good talking to, or a set of glasses :P
By odile53
On Tue Oct 06, 2009 07:25 PM
Siegfried was a yutz! What young man of some means falls in love with not one, but TWO, BIRDS, for pity's sake?! I mean, stick to your own species, dude!

I did S/L this summer, and I knew I had done that dmn ballet one too many times when the characters reminded me of people I know in real life! And ALL of them should go jump in the lake!

I digress: The fact that you found those muscles before isn't theory. It's fact. You will find them again. You will find them again sooner than you think.

The falling thing? Think weight forward in turns. You aren't actually lurching your weight forward, but just thinking about where you would be putting your weight if the entire defensive backfield of the New York Giants was in the second row of class, bearing down on you, helps me get the weight in the right spot. It's just slightly forward of dead center, where I would be if I were trying to get the h-ll out of the way of a bunch of linebackers! Sometimes stupid visualizations like that help me get the right feel. It's all really more about proprioception than anything else, you have to feel where you are in space, and correct to get to where you want to be.

Anyways, talk with you later. I think this cold is only going to respond to a swig or two of Scotch, and that's where I'm heading right now.
By StarBucks_Lovermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Oct 06, 2009 07:39 PM
This post was so encouraging to me! Thanks so much for posting it!
On Tue Oct 06, 2009 09:26 PM
I talked with a (HIGHLY advanced) classmate who wears Freed Wing Blocks and she said what really kills Freeds quickly is sweat... Now I know some sweat leaks through my Ouch Pouches at the seams where there is no gel, so if I wore something like Gellows or Skinny Dips instead, would that protect them?

Attitude1407 -

First, sorry about the Russian Pointe Rubins, but doing triples isn't all that bad! As for the sweat thing ... hmmmm... I could swear I heard someone say that before. I mean, back in the day. I thought maybe that it was correct because back then I hardly used to sweat at all. Especially my feet. Now ... well ... let's just say things change - for the worse!

It could be and the gel pads, I don't know. I tend to think that if you wore a wrapping of lamb's wool that it would absorb whatever dewy moisture was there. I know I used to use this and the other girls did not. Was this key also in my beloved Freed's lasting me so long? I don't know.

If you wear the Ouch Pouches, try putting a very thin layer of lamb's wool around the entire tip of the foot. You can buy it loose in Duane Reade for a couple of dollars so it's not hard to find.

"Open your back". I realized then that I was keeping my shoulder blades pinched together and it was pulling me backward off my leg. With arms in second or fifth position, yes, the shoulder blades move closer together, but they need to separate when the arms are in first position.

I will try this! The problem is I am not using my midsection at all! I mean not at all! A couple of months ago I was working really well, and I could feel my ribs, my groin, my upper back, the curve in my back and I was zipping along. Now? Nada, zip, zilch, nothing! I'm so mad! I use think I'm tucking badly, I mean really badly. It's causing absolutely no curve to happen in my back and a whole host of things to be out of alignment which is really not helpful when you're trying to dance! Maybe if I take a picture of myself standing and doing a couple of movements, it would help. I certainly can see everything everyone else is doing wrong!

Siegfried was a yutz! What young man of some means falls in love with not one, but TWO, BIRDS, for pity's sake?! I mean, stick to your own species, dude!

Odile53 -

You are so right! I try to follow this philosophy myself at all times! Not to mention that everyone thought it was just fine for that bird to attend a gala party? And dance? When has anyone ever seen a bird dance? Oh, yeah, those cute little parrots that bounce up and down to music, but fouettes? On one little bird leg? Yeah, something was so wrong about that whole thing.

The falling thing? Think weight forward in turns. You aren't actually lurching your weight forward, but just thinking about where you would be putting your weight if the entire defensive backfield of the New York Giants was in the second row of class, bearing down on you, helps me get the weight in the right spot. It's just slightly forward of dead center, where I would be if I were trying to get the h-ll out of the way of a bunch of linebackers! Sometimes stupid visualizations like that help me get the right feel. It's all really more about proprioception than anything else, you have to feel where you are in space, and correct to get to where you want to be.

I don't think it sounds stupid - funny as in lol, but stupid? Nope!

I really think that everything is out of whack because I don't even feel my feet underneath me these days. The ending big jump combination, we had basically three hops and I couldn't even travel to do them! Normally, I would have crossed the whole stupid classroom in two skips let alone three! I couldn't jump either. Jumps in fifth - forget it. Usually mine aren't too bad, but they weren't even jumps on Monday. I don't know what they were. Oh, I know - duck feet! They were unpointed and flapping!

Oh, uh, here comes Siegfried!
On Tue Oct 06, 2009 09:31 PM
StarBucks_Lover wrote:

StarBucks Lover -

Was this directed at me?

Wasn't sure if you meant the OP or the post above you. If it was me, I'm glad you were encouraged. It's should be the purpose of all the postings - to encourage others. There are also some mighty wonderful people saying terrific things in this post.

Thanks and drop by again - even if it wasn't me!!!
By odile53
On Wed Oct 07, 2009 06:24 PM
Don't mean to hijack anything, Sylph, but as far as the sweaty mushy Freeds are concerned, this is how I used to handle mushy Capezios. When I was in the service, I contacted a chronic fungal foot infection, and it only responds to systemic antifungals, which I'm not prepared to do to myself (seems like rabbit hunting with a howitzer.) Anyways, the fallout from all that is something the medicoes call "hyperhidrosis," or excessive perspiration.

You're right on spot with the lambswool. The big part of the problem with Ouch Pouches, etc, is that they are basically plastic, and do not wick or breathe. So any moisture is going to collect. But to help reduce the amount of sweat that you are secreting in your feet, use a spray antiperspirant on your soles and toes before padding/taping/tights. It will reduce (but not eliminate) the perspiration.

The second thing is--when the boxes soften to the broken-in point, start baking them. I used to use Future floor wax, when I was using paste shoes (a year and a half ago) you could still find it in the supermarket. It's basically a liquid acrylic. You pour it into a shallow pan and take a 1/2 inch paint brush and brush it lightly into the inside of the box after your shoes dry out. Then put the shoes into an old baking pan that you don't care about (you don't want to use it for actual food after doing this,) and put them in an oven set at 250 degrees. Bake for 1/2 hour, then turn the oven off and allow it to cool. I would suggest leaving a window open while doing this (especially if the shoes are in the least bit stinky,) and putting a sign on the door of the oven that you are baking shoes in there (important if you reside with other people so nobody turns the oven up to preheat it for cooking!) Take the shoes out and allow them to return to room temperature without handling the boxes.
On Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:50 PM
Odile53-

Yes, I figured the Ouch Pouch or any plastic on your foot wouldn't lessen the ability of the sweat to evaporate. And someone in that pointe class I take uses the Future acrylic floor wax on the inside of her box. Never even thought of an antiperspirant, but that's a great suggestion if someone has that problem!

She wears Gaynor's now, but said she used to do that with her old Freed's. She used to wear them in her younger days and now is a Gaynor convert.

And don't stand on ceremony if you have something to offer. The important thing is that information gets out there!
By StarBucks_Lovermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Oct 08, 2009 08:58 AM
nycsylph wrote:

StarBucks_Lover wrote:

StarBucks Lover -

Was this directed at me?

Wasn't sure if you meant the OP or the post above you. If it was me, I'm glad you were encouraged. It's should be the purpose of all the postings - to encourage others. There are also some mighty wonderful people saying terrific things in this post.

Thanks and drop by again - even if it wasn't me!!!

Yes I was talking about you, I haven't read any other posts yet on this. :)
Page:
Page 4 of 118: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 114 115 116 117 118

ReplySendWatch