Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Adult Dancers

Page:
Page 5 of 118: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 114 115 116 117 118
re: Ouch! Took first pointe class in 20 years tonight!
By mustangdancer
On Thu Oct 08, 2009 01:38 PM
I love this thread and have read every comment. You are all so inspiring!!!

Brava, all of you.

(And now I am so anxious for my silly calf to heal so I can get back to dancing. I'm 32 and have recently started ballet again after more than ten years away, but my teachers say I might be back en pointe by Christmas (starting slowly, just technique at the barre and foot strengthening work, but eeee! I'm so excited!). Reading about your experiences just makes my day ~ I am so delighted with the thought that someday I might be on my toes again, too.
By nycsylphmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Oct 08, 2009 02:26 PM
mustangdancer wrote:

I'm 32 and have recently started ballet again after more than ten years away, but my teachers say I might be back en pointe by Christmas

mustangdancer -

That is so wonderful!!! It'll feel so good to be up there and gliding around!! And you really are the perfect age to be getting back into it! Still plenty of flexibility and strength.

Let us know how things progress and, yes, take care of that calf muscle! I know how hard it is, but it's worth the extra time spent to let things heal. I should be directing that at me since I am notorious for ignoring everything!

Thanks for stopping by and I look forward to hearing your progress reports!
By brubie
On Tue Oct 13, 2009 09:14 AM
This is one of my favorite threads....I have been working on pointe for a couple of months, really slowly, and not much off the bar. Question, how easy was it to transition from the bar to center? I am also curious about peoples' thoughts on learning pointe from DVDs (Finis Jhung sorry about the spelling comes to mind). I take a semi-private pointe class and 20 minutes of my occasional private lesson to work on pointe. In addition I wear my pointe shoes for the bar in the beginner and intro classes I take. I take these classes pretty much to work on pointe and alignment, and the occasional skill (e.g frappes or glissade combos that need refreshing).

I am hesitant to purchase pointe DVDs to learn the technique, I think one needs hands on classroom training. What are your thoughts and experiences.....
By hummingbird
On Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:24 AM
You need, need , need someone there who can watch you and see that you aren't making mistakes, it is impossible to watch your feet and muscles yourself whilst you dance. If you don't believe me just go onto youtube and do a search, there are enough scary 'I taught myself pointe' video's on there to prove it to anyone.

I don't want to preach, or sound like I'm venting, but having been a professional dancer and taught pointe for a number of years now, I can say that there are mistakes beginners make that they're not able to see or feel themselves.

Whilst these videos are a fantastic resource for keen dancers to help them practice and for teachers to keep them up to date with new techniques, they are not 'teach yourself' courses and were never intended to be used that way.
By brubie
On Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:36 AM
Thanks, I must write that while I am intriqued by these videos, I don't want to learn pointe that way. I am happy with the semi-private pointe class and the 20 minutes at the end of my private. I also do get help/feedback when I wear then for the bar of the beginner class I take. I would love to be able to take a pointe class every week, simply not doable right now.
By odile53
On Tue Oct 13, 2009 09:37 PM
So any new installments in the pointe adventure, nycsylph?

My sinus thing is over, tonight pointework went without too many glitches, and no pratfalls or spinning studios were involved. And the Gaynors are happily hanging in the laundry room, where they won't make me want to fumigate the house! Actually, that's the only real complaint I have about them: All that thermoplastic and injectable molded stuff makes my feet sweat even more than they usually do, and boy do those things reek! I have to put them in the trunk on the way home so they don't stink up the car! Maybe I should just punch a couple of holes in the arch area satin to get some ventilation in there?

The teacher was in rare form tonight: A couple of new kids who think they are the next Gillian Murphy joined the studio a couple of classes ago. They had started to show signs of boredom while I was fighting my earache, and our teacher decided to ramp it up a little. Tonight was the degage barre from hell. And I've already gobbled up all available Motrin in the house!

Anyways, dealing with something fairly new (or fairly new to try to execute again, more properly) Hops en pointe. I only managed to knock out two before I chickened out and did them on demi after a little wobble on the second one.

Ah, the joys of pointework as an elder! Keep reminding me about pushing the envelope, I need to hear about that tonight!
On Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:15 PM
brubie wrote:

This is one of my favorite threads....I have been working on pointe for a couple of months, really slowly, and not much off the bar. Question, how easy was it to transition from the bar to center? I am also curious about peoples' thoughts on learning pointe from DVDs (Finis Jhung sorry about the spelling comes to mind). I take a semi-private pointe class and 20 minutes of my occasional private lesson to work on pointe. In addition ...

... I am hesitant to purchase pointe DVDs to learn the technique, I think one needs hands on classroom training. What are your thoughts and experiences.....

brubie -

Hi and I'm glad you're enjoying this thread. I know I am since I'm getting to know more members.

I agree with hummingbird on the issue of learning pointe. I think it's a stupendously bad idea! Who are these DVD's geared for? Children? Or adults that have taken class and maybe have moved where classes aren't available? Either way it's just so wrong - on so many levels!

It is so dangerous to try to do something like that. And who's to decide that you're ready to go on pointe? It's not a "I want to so I'ma gonna do it" type of activity!

I hope the DVD NEVER suggests letting go of the dresser drawer or whatever they're using to hold onto and hobbling out to the center of the shag carpeting in the bedroom! I'm getting scared thinking about this!

brubie, I think you're doing it the right way. In terms of when you can be weened from the barre, it's individual. That's the other thing a DVD can't do for you and that is - evaluate your progress! A teacher will be able to do this. Let's see, in terms of when you know you're ready, I would say there's a relaxation and surety in the body when you're fully on pointe and have got the hang of things. There's a confidence in terms of going up and down and rolling through the foot. There's no clunking when you roll-down through the feet and one-footed releves can be done with moderate ease.

I guess I'll leave it there and defer to hummingbird who was a pro and teaches.

Be sure to post your progress and pics! Love pictures!!! XXXXX

====

odile53 -

o any new installments in the pointe adventure, nycsylph?

No, actually I'm working on a dance 'project'??? Don't know what else to call it. Top secret for now, but hope to complete it and post about it. Nothing to do with interviews or anything. It's a stretch and new adventure for me and I hope it turns out to be a success.

It was quite fortuitous that I was involved in the project because my legs were really bothering me. Remember I told you how that last class was so horrible? Well, it was because my legs were so weak that it felt like I would hurt something. There was no spring and I couldn't figure out what the heck was wrong. Anyway, I decided to rest for a couple of days and so I didn't take Tuesday, Wednesday. Went to the pseudo class on Thursday and my legs felt funky and my muscles felt like something was going to snap. I didn't go Friday and then this weekend I was working like crazy on the project so didn't go all this weekend and a funny thing happened. Now my legs still felt weak until Sunday. Sunday I woke up and I had the most godawful pain in my groin that was really horrible. It stayed feeling horrible for Monday and Tuesday and today it feels better. I realize that it wasn't my legs per se, but most likely a groin strain that came from just plain overdoing it. I don't think it's more serious since really bad groin strains don't feel better after 3 days.

I was very lucky that I got distracted and busy and that I gave things time to localize. Otherwise I would have figured it was my legs and not what it actually was. It feels fine right now, but I'm not doing anything until at least next Monday. Will re-evaluate then.

My sinus thing is over, tonight pointework went without too many glitches, and no pratfalls or spinning studios were involved. And the Gaynors are happily hanging in the laundry room, where they won't make me want to fumigate the house! Actually, that's the only real complaint I have about them: All that thermoplastic and injectable molded stuff makes my feet sweat even more than they usually do, and boy do those things reek! I have to put them in the trunk on the way home so they don't stink up the car! Maybe I should just punch a couple of holes in the arch area satin to get some ventilation in there?

Oh, dear! Like old gym shoes only worse? They should really sell liners that to in them then. Wash the liners or maybe have them scented in some nice aromatherapy. How about orange? Or lemon? Mmmmmm...nice!

[q/]The teacher was in rare form tonight: A couple of new kids who think they are the next Gillian Murphy joined the studio a couple of classes ago. They had started to show signs of boredom while I was fighting my earache, and our teacher decided to ramp it up a little. Tonight was the degage barre from hell. And I've already gobbled up all available Motrin in the house!

Oh, my gosh! There's no shortage of these superstars, is there? They seem to have cloned themselves and are dotting the countryside with their dancing hubris! What does your teacher call them? Gillian I and Gillian II?

Anyways, dealing with something fairly new (or fairly new to try to execute again, more properly) Hops en pointe. I only managed to knock out two before I chickened out and did them on demi after a little wobble on the second one.

Ah, the joys of pointework as an elder! Keep reminding me about pushing the envelope, I need to hear about that tonight!

Absolutely keep pushing the envelope! Don't let anything stop you providing your body is cooperating!

I should say that now my groin is better, I was in the kitchen and I suddenly realized that I could now feel my inner thighs and yes, my heels underneath me and pushing against one another! I felt my heel "cupped" underneath me - just like the old days!

Oh, I am so enthused to get out there and jump and turn! It's what was missing and there it is! All the hard work paid off big-time! Can't wait! And neither should you!

Nobody knows how long a time they have to dance, so just go for it! Enjoy every minute and you sound as if you're quite talented which is even more reason to keep doing what you love for however long you can!

I can't wait for you to be hopping around and dancing circles around Gillian I & II!!! I used to love, love, love hops on pointe! If you can turn you can do them - for sure! Just don't go way far over on pointe. Hold your foot back a bit, but then I'm sure you know all that so just practice it. It really isn't hard. I used to do it all the time and I wasn't all that good.

XOXOXOXOXXOXOXOXOXO

I know you can do it!!! Stinky pointe shoes and all!!!
By Attitude1407
On Thu Oct 15, 2009 06:55 PM
Edited by Attitude1407 (186517) on 2009-10-15 18:55:52
Sylph, that's a great idea about the removable liners! You know what would also be good about that? If you have one pointe class and need to go to another (like when I had pointe before and after lunch at SI), you can take the sweaty liners out and put new dry ones in! That would have been wonderful.

Ohhh, hops en pointe... I used to hop around the studio on one foot for the fun of it (at least on my right foot -- left was never quite as good), during my good old days with the Grishko 2007's and first pair of Grishko Mayas, when I was capable of the pique turn-fouette turn diagonal from Pas d'Esclave. I loved to do toe hop promenades in attitude! However, what tiny bit of ability I had to hop on my left foot is COMPLETELY gone now. I had some ankle troubles and bad shoes earlier this year, and although I can still hop perfectly well on my right foot, I don't have the confidence I used to. I haven't done that promenade in a long while and I'm a little scared to try it again.

You know what variation we did over and over again at SI? Freakin' FLAMES OF PARIS!!! With all those hops on the left foot, I wished the studio had a window I could have jumped out of!

Anyhow, I'm intrigued by this "project" you mention and I'm looking forward to hearing what it is. :) Glad you're feeling better! It's frustrating when you have a problem you can't pinpoint and it's such a relief when you can finally figure it out, address it, and get back to dancing your best!
By smileywomanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Oct 15, 2009 07:17 PM
I'm happy for you being able to dance and stick to it. I've not been able to dance much these days, and I'm getting discouraged.

Hugs,

M
By Serendipity42Premium member
On Thu Oct 15, 2009 07:24 PM
My body's been in AGONY for the past two days. Wasn't sure if it was the illness or lack of exercise, since I hadn't been to class since last Thursday.

So I went tonight - easy adult beginner-ish. I can't stand anything on at the moment - no rash but my skin was ultrasensitive, so I asked if I could take just barre in my shorts and shirt and he said yes. Grand plies were so painful I almost cried!

At the moment, I feel a bit better, so I'm hoping the joint pains WERE just from lack of exercise.

Depending on my feelings tomorrow, I probably will go to the first ballet class but not the pointe class. I'm still not up to speed with energy, but as of this moment, I'm glad I went to class.

Never had that kind of pain before, without a fever, that is. I could barely hold my arm up in second, when normally I could hold it for ages in a regular class. *sigh*
By odile53
On Thu Oct 15, 2009 08:54 PM
Hey, don't want to scare you guys, but with those body aches, are you SURE you're not coming down with the flu (swine or seasonal?)

That dmn barre is a flipping petri dish. Don't forget the little germ factories (young students) have been in there before your adult classes, and have been hacking, sneezing, and god only knows what else on the darn things before you put your hands on it! I've taken to carrying a bottle of Purell into the studio with me, putting it on my towel, and wiping off the barre first thing before class starts.

Sorry, I guess it's just Nurse Odile talking here!

Class was great tonight. The Gillians didn't show up. Guess they don't like dancing with grannies who can still show them a thing or two--LOL!

We did have a newly retired pro join our class last week when I decided that staying home was the wiser choice. She's about forty and just awesome. But it's clear that she hasn't psychologically made the transition from "company class" to "recreational class" yet. I felt sorry for her, and very grateful that I only did semi-pro stuff and never made it to the rat race that is a big company. I can't even imagine having to rely on ballet for my entire livelihood!

You could just see her grinding out barre like she was still drawing a paycheck. I bit my tongue, but I almost felt like leaning over and saying, "relax, honey, you're dancing for your own enjoyment now. Nothing to prove in here! You're OLD! Enjoy your retirement, and be FREE!"

She did make a nice comment to me, though. "It's great to see someone else who is retired in here. What company were you with?" I had to fess up and tell her I've never been with anything other than small civic or regional companies, and never went professional (in the sense that I could support myself with ballet.)

Anyways, keep an eye out for other flu-like symptoms, and take it easy with those muscle aches!
On Fri Oct 16, 2009 03:55 AM
That's really cool, Odile! We had one of our teachers (non-ballet) join the class apparently on Tuesday (when I was out, ill) and last night. I didn't really watch her as I was trying to do barre without crying my eyes out.

The aches are related to illness or lack of exercise or both. I'm still achy in a not so nice way (flu-ey, not due to yesterday's class).

The germ factory is me, at the moment. I may be forced to go the clinic if I can't shake this this weekend. :(
On Fri Oct 16, 2009 09:29 PM
Attitude1407 wrote:

Sylph, that's a great idea about the removable liners! You know what would also be good about that? If you have one pointe class and need to go to another (like when I had pointe before and after lunch at SI), you can take the sweaty liners out and put new dry ones in! That would have been wonderful.

attitude 1407 -

So many ideas - so little time! I would love a pair also. Maybe I'll experiment with something if I get some spare time.

Ohhh, hops en pointe... I used to hop around the studio on one foot for the fun of it (at least on my right foot -- left was never quite as good), during my good old days with the Grishko 2007's and first pair of Grishko Mayas, when I was capable of the pique turn-fouette turn diagonal from Pas d'Esclave. I loved to do toe hop promenades in attitude! However, what tiny bit of ability I had to hop on my left foot is COMPLETELY gone now. I had some ankle troubles and bad shoes earlier this year, and although I can still hop perfectly well on my right foot, I don't have the confidence I used to. I haven't done that promenade in a long while and I'm a little scared to try it again.

Yes, hops on pointe are the best! I also used to love to do changements on pointe. One pointe teacher I had would make us do 32 every class. Used to be so easy!!! Aaaaahh!!

Sorry about you not finding the right pointe shoe yet. There's lots of them out there so I'm sure it's just a matter of meeting Mr. Right ... Shoe and Mr. Left Shoe. And don't ever lack confidence. You just had a little shake-up and you'll be fine once you get the right shoes. It's impossible to do these things without feeling secure and nothing makes a dancer feel insecure faster than the wrong pointe shoe.

Anyhow, I'm intrigued by this "project" you mention and I'm looking forward to hearing what it is. :) Glad you're feeling better! It's frustrating when you have a problem you can't pinpoint and it's such a relief when you can finally figure it out, address it, and get back to dancing your best!

Yes, well, I've been working on this little "project" all freakin' week! One rest period per 24 hours allowed! I tell you I must be a tough boss if I treat even myself this way, but it's got to get done. I was very nervous about it, but tonight there was progress and a sense of well-being that I had. I think it's sort of good. It's hard assessing one's work, but then everyone that's involved in dance knows that!

I'm happy for you being able to dance and stick to it. I've not been able to dance much these days, and I'm getting discouraged.

Hugs,

Smileywoman -

Don't be discouraged. Look at all the fantabulous, wonderful pictures you've posted! Every single one represents a moment of time when you enjoyed the gift of dance! How amazing is that? And the fact you choose to share it with us is very much appreciated!

I know how tough it is to have something come in-between me and my dance classes! I must have a very one-track mind because that's all I can think of usually. It helps me work things out and allows me to think a little better. Hopefully, next week!

XOXOXOXXOXOXOXOXO

My body's been in AGONY for the past two days. Wasn't sure if it was the illness or lack of exercise, since I hadn't been to class since last Thursday.

Serendipity42 -

Oh, dear! I am sorry! I know how that feels.

It could very well be the lack of exercise coupled with the weather change. Do you live somewhere where it's gotten colder? I know my skin goes crazy when the weather goes from hot to warm and then from warm to cold. Don't know why and I always seem to forget, but it only lasts a couple of days.

Have my fingers crossed that it's nothing serious and that you'll be back to being your flexible self!

We did have a newly retired pro join our class last week when I decided that staying home was the wiser choice. She's about forty and just awesome. But it's clear that she hasn't psychologically made the transition from "company class" to "recreational class" yet. I felt sorry for her, and very grateful that I only did semi-pro stuff and never made it to the rat race that is a big company. I can't even imagine having to rely on ballet for my entire livelihood!

You could just see her grinding out barre like she was still drawing a paycheck. I bit my tongue, but I almost felt like leaning over and saying, "relax, honey, you're dancing for your own enjoyment now. Nothing to prove in here! You're OLD! Enjoy your retirement, and be FREE!"

Odile53 -

Wow, that's great! I love when fabulous people show up! They usually don't in the classes I take, but I find them inspiring.

As for the seriousness, I don't know if it's because of being in a company or because she's just that way. I know I am just completely nuts when I take class. It's like I just throw myself into everything and am red, sweating and panting by the time I leave, but then I tend to take things very seriously. I'm trying not to be like that now that I'm 100 years old. I'm practicing being casual. Hasn't worked thus far.

As for the illness thing, no it's a groin pull. I got it quite awhile ago and I just remembered it acts up when I stretch it. Not normal stretches, but like a runner's stretch or the stretch at the bar when you put your leg up on the barre in arabesque and go forward and back? Anyway, there's that one teacher that has us do it and I was. The thing is it doesn't hurt when I do it. If it did, I would stop, but it really seems to irritate it. I won't do it for now. Give it a bit more time to rest.

And that's quite a compliment!!! She'd be my new BFF if she said that to me!!! Of course, no one ever has ... but it doesn't mean they won't someday!!!

XOXOXOXOXXOXO
On Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:44 AM
Re Groin issue. My PT has me using weights on my legs to stretch this area when lying down, with legs in butterfly position. She recommended 5 pound weights on the knees to gently stretch the area. It works well for me, in relieving the groin pain without stressing it out. Only about 10-20 seconds once a day, though, is the recommendation.

I personally have started using 10 lb weights, but that's because I've been doing it for over 6 months now. Unfortunately, that sort of injury doesn't seem to really heal. :(
By Guyenne
On Sat Oct 17, 2009 09:22 PM
Regarding scented liners, you can get deodorizing balls or spray from a shoe store and use that. I think that'd still work okay on pointes - I mostly did it with my flats, and so did at least one friend of mine. She had cinnamon-scented and I had lemon? - they're these plastic balls that you twist to open in the center with a hard waxy looking scented thing inside. Just don't forget and leave them open when it's hot out - they'll lose their scent much faster that way. She also had a spray thing - she'd put the can in the shoe and then press down on the top to get it to spray all around inside the shoe. Anyway, I got mine from the local Hush Puppy outlet, and I think she got her stuff somewhere similar.
By darealhoney
On Sun Oct 18, 2009 07:17 AM
wow your legs and feet look amazing, do share more photos with us please :D
On Sun Oct 18, 2009 09:38 PM
Guyenne wrote:

Regarding scented liners, you can get deodorizing balls or spray from a shoe store and use that. I think that'd still work okay on pointes - I mostly did it with my flats, and so did at least one friend of mine. She had cinnamon-scented and I had lemon? - they're these plastic balls that you twist to open in the center

Guyenne -

Thanks for the tip.

Cinnamon scented? Mmmmm... I'd probably be hungry all through class though! Especially this time of year. Nice hot toast, dripping with butter, sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar, dunked in some nice hot chocolate!

Yummy!

----

darealhoney -

Well, thank you so very much, but they are much less impressive in person.
On Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:42 AM
**** General class update ****

Okay, so went back to regular class last night. Groin felt fine. Didn't have my feet underneath me. Don't know quite what's going on. Think it's a combination of tucking which doesn't allow them to be all the way underneath and not using my back properly. I'm crunching inside and not giving my body room to expand and use those subtle muscles, but it was light years better than the class before this! However there were two r-e-a-l-l-y interesting thing that happened re: whiny Carol and her clique.

1. I was at the barre and really focused when I had that feeling. You know, the feeling that someone's looking at you. Now I was at the barre to the side, where this little window is. People in the hall can see the upper part of your body and you can gaze out and let your eyes roll back in your head when things get tough. So I'm doing something and couldn't shake the feeling soooo I snap my head to the left and look. Now the way I turned my head is the way I should be spotting, but that's a whole 'nother subject! Well, guess who was in the hallway sitting on the bench just staring at me with her freakin' mouth open? Yes, Carol!

I never saw anything like it! It was like she was ... transfixed! Yes, her mouth was gaping open like an old carp gasping for air or going for a hook that had a worm dangling from it! She sort of jumped ... or more aptly ... jerked when I turned and caught her staring. She sat there because she's Ms. Passive-Aggressive and not used to getting caught. I just smiled at her and she smiled shyly (as if she's shy!) and looked down.

Now why on earth would she care what I'm doing? I'm just fascinated by this! Psychologically it's very interesting, but what came next is even more interesting.

2. My teacher last night went into a tirade about some woman that takes class at the school. She went on and on and on in an extemperaneous diatribe about this person. I didn't know who she was talking about because she didn't give any information other than she would start hemorrhaging from the ears and eyes if this woman showed up in her class. Someone asked her if she'd let this person take class, and her reply was, "Legally, I'd have to!" Okay, so this teacher obviously was not thrilled about having this mysterious, unnamed woman in her classroom.

I didn't think anything about it because I was immersed in trying to follow all these combinations when at the very end of the class the subject came up again. One of the students in class that used to be in whiny Carol's peripheral group approached the teacher and tried to explain about this woman that had just been spanked and tongue-lashed. Now "Deedee" (I'll call the woman in the peripheral group Deedee) started telling the teacher about why the woman was surly. Seems she has problems in her life. I was thinking who the heck doesn't? You show me someone ... anyone ... and I'll show you someone that has problems in their life! It's just some people handle them more graciously is all!

Anyway, Deedee starts making excuses ... and yes, there were things going on that are very stressful, but it doesn't excuse someone from being a first-class nasty shrew. You can have an odd day or two when you're not yourself, but going through life shoveling and dumping on people because you're not getting what you want is just showing what kind of person you are. At least this is my philosophy. The teacher was like "uh-huh, uh-huh," listening to the list of excuses as if they didn't amount to the woman acting like an idiot, but in listening to the conversation, a light bulb went on in my head and I knew who they were talking about. It was "Carol's" former pit bull, big mouthed friend. The one that Carol prompted to try and actually yell at me - as if I cared. At the end of this big, long pity party story, Deedee stopped. The teacher said, "Well, you know, I still don't want her in my class and I'd be really, really, really unhappy if she showed up." And here comes the zinger. Deedee then says, "Well, you might want to get prepared for it to happen because there's no telling when she'll show up!"

I can't believe it! There is no reason for this big-mouthed idiot to be taking an advanced class ... oh, yeah, one reason ... me! She doesn't even do more than 15 minutes of the slow class! And she wants to take an advanced class and stand at the barre making trouble and comments and eating popcorn because why?

I don't know what happened last week. I wonder if she showed up to take the class and then took another one when I didn't show up? I'm going to love it if she shows up!!! This teacher is just not going to stand for her nonsense! She's not afraid to get someone in line and can spot a troublemaker a million miles away!

Oh, this is going to be good! And I probably will be taking pointe class this week. Like I said, my groin felt fine, but I'll try on my pointe shoes on Friday and do some releves at home to make sure everything is working properly.

In the meantime, I will be learning that Mariah Carey song!!!
By odile53
On Tue Oct 20, 2009 08:19 PM
Sheesh, what a crew you got stuck with in that class! Ridiculous that grown women are behaving as if they are spoiled little brats going to ballet school because Mommy is paying for it.

Sounds like the teacher is going to have to do what mine does when there is a disruptive student in attendance (a la the Gillians!) Ramp the intensity up a little bit! They can't cause much trouble if they have to pay attention to what is going on--LOL!

I'm happy to report that the company retiree is getting used to life as a recreational dancer: Tonight she announced that she was heading out to one of the ice cream stands that is still open this late in the season after class for a hot fudge sundae! The rest of us (grown ups) talked her into going out for a beer with us instead.
On Tue Oct 20, 2009 08:54 PM
Odile what a lovely thing to do! I wish I had a group to hang with from my classes, but most are teens, as you know. The newer adults are a bit too new to do anything socially, and the teachers at both schools are friendly but distant.

Nycsylph, you really do have a comedy show there. Have you thought about writing a script and trying to sell it? Really, has there ever been a comedy show set in a ballet school/dance studio? I think between us all, we could come up with a really funny premise! LOL!
On Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:05 PM
odile53 wrote:

Sheesh, what a crew you got stuck with in that class! Ridiculous that grown women are behaving as if they are spoiled little brats going to ballet school because Mommy is paying for it.

Sounds like the teacher is going to have to do what mine does when there is a disruptive student in attendance (a la the Gillians!) Ramp the intensity up a little bit! They can't cause much trouble if they have to pay attention to what is going on--LOL!

Odile53 -

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! I think that's just what she'll do! It's going to be tough though. I mean, she starts out with this extremely long adagio and then goes right into pirouettes that goes something like ... step forward into releve fifth position. Plie - pirouette in fifth land in fifth ... repeat ... third one land in second - pirouette from second land in second - repeat - third one land in fourth and pirouette to fifth ... step forward to releve fifth right leg front and repeat entire combination ... then repeat it again on both sides. Whew! Head was spinning after that little combo, but it sure improves your turns!

Then the class really starts!

I'm happy to report that the company retiree is getting used to life as a recreational dancer: Tonight she announced that she was heading out to one of the ice cream stands that is still open this late in the season after class for a hot fudge sundae! The rest of us (grown ups) talked her into going out for a beer with us instead.

Woo-hoo! She's one of the cool kids! I tell you, it sounds like I'd so much rather be in your class right now. I love my teachers though. I guess the main reason I'm even telling this story is the fact that my teacher - who is a consummate professional - couldn't stand this woman and didn't even want her in her class! And she was never in her class! It's just the vibes she gives off are that bad! That means I'm not exaggerating a bit.

I think what the teacher was really doing in complaining was firing a verbal warning shot because one of the women in class is friends with her. I think she was hoping it would get back to her to stay far away from her class, or else! Who knows what else will be? Fifty traveling fouettes each way? Coupe jetes around the entire perimeter of the building? One thousand eight hundred and fifty three battements forward, ala seconde, back and then another one thousand eight hundred and fifty three to the side again?

I better have a couple of Starbuck's apple chai lattes before I go to the next class! Looks like I'll be needing them!

Nycsylph, you really do have a comedy show there. Have you thought about writing a script and trying to sell it? Really, has there ever been a comedy show set in a ballet school/dance studio? I think between us all, we could come up with a really funny premise! LOL!

Serendipity42 -

Sounds like a great idea!

God, how I'd love to write this all down! Of course, people would just say that we all had fantastic imaginations not realizing that these actually happen!

I guess I just don't get the fascination with me or what they're hoping to gain. They're showing me what exactly by doing this? That I'm not that good? I know I'm not anymore and I'm not ever going to be again so it can't be that. Showing me up? Well, as I said I'm not good anymore so it wouldn't be hard to show me up so it can't be that either.

Aye Chihuahua! I don't know. I have a hard enough time remembering combinations let alone figuring out this nonsense, but if you're serious about that script, you're on!

Maybe I'll write it myself when I get time. I am so busy these days, but good busy.

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO
By odile53
On Wed Oct 21, 2009 04:59 PM
Oh, trust me, my teacher is very professional as well. In addition to being a former company member a couple of different places, she will finish her master's degree in fine arts (dance) and minored in biology/kinesiology as an undergraduate. She probably knows as much musculoskeletal anatomy as I do, and I work in an orthopedic operating room. She's also pretty sharp when it comes to teaching psychology.

But, you're right. It is a cool class. We have a cool teacher, and four of the five barres are "the cool barres." We do have a yutz barre, too, and nobody goes there with the three women who are usually there unless they are hopelessly late (like after tendus.) Our teacher doesn't have to say a word about being tardy to class: Being stuck at that barre is "punishment" enough, and the latecomer is usually at least twenty minutes early to his/her next class! The only one who can stand to be with those little heifers is the retired linebacker, and he just glowers at them when they start their little remarks. And he's big enough, nobody wants to mess with him!

Anyways, send your nasty clique to my class: The linebacker will drop them right on their butts!
On Wed Oct 21, 2009 08:28 PM
In the words of the average over-texting teen: OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG!!!!!!

I GOT MY PIROUETTES ON POINTE TODAY!!!! Yes, TOTALLY GOT THEM!!!

I did not break a toe. I did not hurt or break an ankle. I did not hurt a knee (not that I really ever did that part of the body - knock wood!). I did not fall off pointe. I did not fall on my patoot. I did not fall on my face.

I DID do reasonable pirouettes, getting all the way around and was confident enough to say to myself, "I think I need more force" and did it!! My teacher's eyes went WIDE! :)

THEN, to top off a great class, we reviewed and went through the Bluebird variation, which I know well. We had to do it one by one. I managed most of it on pointe and actually managed to DANCE it - not just do it!

Again, my teacher's eyes went wide and she said, "A year ago, you wouldn't have been able to do any of that!" And then she told me she was highly impressed.

So....Monday, got my doubles on demi-pointe (and it wasn't a fluke - I did 'em again today in another class). Today, singles on pointe!! Confidently!!!

I'm so chuffed!

Odile,
LOVED your description of the "yutz" barre. ;)
On Wed Oct 21, 2009 09:15 PM
Serendipity42 wrote:

In the words of the average over-texting teen: OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG!!!!!!

I GOT MY PIROUETTES ON POINTE TODAY!!!! Yes, TOTALLY GOT THEM!!!

I did not break a toe. I did not hurt or break an ankle. I did not hurt a knee (not that I really ever did that part of the body - knock wood!). I did not fall off pointe. I did not fall on my patoot. I did not fall on my face.

I DID do reasonable pirouettes, getting all the way around and was confident enough to say to myself, "I think I need more force" and did it!! My teacher's eyes went WIDE! :)

THEN, to top off a great class, we reviewed and went through the Bluebird variation, which I know well. We had to do it one by one. I managed most of it on pointe and actually managed to DANCE it - not just do it!

Again, my teacher's eyes went wide and she said, "A year ago, you wouldn't have been able to do any of that!" And then she told me she was highly impressed.

So....Monday, got my doubles on demi-pointe (and it wasn't a fluke - I did 'em again today in another class). Today, singles on pointe!! Confidently!!!

I'm so chuffed!

Serendipity42 -

What?!!!!

[stands on chair]
[shoves fingers in mouth and whistles]
[grabs pom-poms and does cheer]

Yeah!!!! I am so very happy for you!! I know how great it feels to have classes where you have this amazing breakthrough although I haven't even begun to even slightly approach this level of expertise!!!

Congratulations on the hard work you put in and thoroughly enjoy what you accomplished! It was all you, honey!!

A big virtual kiss and hug for my ballet buddy

XOXXOXOXOXOXOXXOXOXOXOXXOXOXOXOXXOXOXOXO

P.S. I am soooo impressed!!!!

Oh, trust me, my teacher is very professional as well. In addition to being a former company member a couple of different places, she will finish her master's degree in fine arts (dance) and minored in biology/kinesiology as an undergraduate. She probably knows as much musculoskeletal anatomy as I do, and I work in an orthopedic operating room. She's also pretty sharp when it comes to teaching psychology.

Odile53 -

Oh, I believe you! Always did! I wasn't comparing teachers at all or saying mine was better or more accomplished or anything like that. I just wanted to stress that this teacher was professional and yet had a reaction that strong from just seeing someone in the hallway! That's mighty strange, but not if you met this chick!

Bad mojo.

Anyways, send your nasty clique to my class: The linebacker will drop them right on their butts!

Oh, don't tempt me! But just for my information how much is a one-way ticket to where you live? I might try the old I Still Know What You Did Last Summer and Who You're Annoying in Class scam. That's the one where you call them up, pretend to be a radio DJ, say you're running a contest, ask them an easy question, and then even if they get it wrong tell them they won a free trip and send them the tickets!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!

T-Down!!!!
On Thu Oct 22, 2009 04:16 AM
I still think you could really do a good tv show out of this. Why not make a million out of these people? LOL!
Page:
Page 5 of 118: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 114 115 116 117 118

ReplySendWatch