Forum: Folk / Polynesian Dance

new hilo group looking 4 drummers and a teacher..asap!!
By rahiti_nui
On Wed Aug 12, 2009 02:26 AM

new group "rahiti-nui".. out of hilo,hawaii..former "kumu" picked up and left all us students,drummers,and dancers abruptly..left us flat..took all costumes, music,and her drums......As the lead drummer/parent, etc....we decided to continue on with exisitng members/parents and beginners. taking over everything..finances,rent,shows, and beginners classes...we couldnt stand to see the disgust and disappointment on all their faces so we are going to try this....currently the alaka'i is teaching class but dont know how long she can as she wanted to be just a student but is helping until further notice..i am lead drummer on pahu and toere..i have another toere player and a faatete player...thats all..i mean we get um, but it just isnt the same..we are giving this our best shot..for the tamarii and junior vahines...we are asking for kokua in teaching for now, with the possiblity of hourly pay...not much but something...we understand nothing comes for free...but we do live in hawaii..so "we" know that it comes from within..if any of you know of someone in hilo who would like to help..tell em we are at center stage hilo..on tuesdays @6:00pm..east hawaii cultural center weds.@5-7pm...and then back at centerstage on fri.@6:15-8:15pm..ask for ekolu...drummers too are welcome..come by and check it out..we are somewhat established and not some born yesterday crackpots..lol...aloha and maruuruu..

4 Replies to new hilo group looking 4 drummers and a teacher..asap!!

re: new hilo group looking 4 drummers and a teacher..asap!!
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:40 AM
Why in the world did kumu pick up and leave like that? She even leave the Alaka'i with no Uniki first?
By rahiti_nui
On Thu Aug 13, 2009 08:33 PM
well sistah..sometimes kumus are like that...especially this one..fly by night...here to make money and forget about the culture...she had us all going..we all seen her "vision"..but as soon as us parents had gotten together to form a committee to raise funds for costumes and stuff..she was agitated because now she couldnt "hide" where the money was being spent..and as far as promoting the alaka'i...lmao..it was far from her mind...she(kumu) believes that it takes years and years of learning before you can be promoted..but...but...she can promote the beginners(3 practices fresh!!) to be in our shows for weddings,birthdays....i was like what?..3 times they come practice and blam! they are showgirls?...i dont get it..in the end we all put two and two together and knew that she was "taking" us there...so its a good thing she left...us parents took over..our books are tight..fundraising goes to the keiki and girls..its for the halau and not to support kumu and her gas money and her food and her clothes...hardly any of the money earned from shows, car washes, donations went back to the girls...thats why we stepped in and questioned wtf?..we pay 40$ a month 4 hours a month...1 hour/once a week...go figure..but oh well...its all good now...new oteas...new costumes, new clientele...and 40 members strong...hmm..40 x 40= 1600 a month in income...hmmm our own studio(rent)...several costume changes...club tshirts...wondering with all that money why didnt we have those already...idk..im just venting...dont mind me...
By Hippster
On Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:42 PM
Aloha it's pretty sad that this has happened to your group. I am a Tahitian instructor, and I have been dancing for over eleven years entered in many competitions. I would be interested in helping out. Please email me your information at gotit808@yahoo.com
By ohanaPremium member
On Tue Sep 29, 2009 01:37 PM
Edited by ohana7 (188688) on 2009-09-29 13:38:22
Wow. I am sorry to hear it and so sorry for not getting back here to post. I am expanding my studio here in Virginia.

Anyways, I grew up in Kaimuki and Hilo so this is very near and dear to me. In fact, I visited in August to get my daughter settled at UH. I am disappointed to hear what went down, but so proud that you guys took the kuleana upon yourselves.

PS Do you guys advertise on Craigslist?

I hope it all works out.... malama pono, Lisa

ReplySendWatch