Forum: Adults / College

College
The Ultimate What To Pack For College List! (karma: 4)
By luvs2dancealot Comments: 1092, member since Mon Mar 31, 2008
On Fri Aug 28, 2009 08:45 PM
Made sticky by oz_helen (35388) on 2009-08-29 22:54:44

So I noticed there are a lot of threads in regards to this so I say lets make a full guide for everyone!

Kitchen Needs:
Plastic bowl and cup
Travel Mug
Fork, knife, and spoon
Can/bottle opener
Chip clips
Baggies
Tuperware Containers
Dish Soap
Paper Towels
Mini-fridge
Microwave and/or toaster
Coffee Maker

Room/Storage Needs:
Bedside lamp
Alarm clock
Wastebasket
Storage cubes
Under-the-bed storage trays
Tons of hangers
Desk Lamp
Adhesive hooks, tacky adhesive, and mounting tape
Bulletin board and push pins
Dry erase wall calendar/board
Toolkit

Electronics:
Computer and printer
Phone cord
Extension cords
2 prong adapters
Surge protector
Headphones
Phone (or cell phone)
Portable CD player or mP3
Camera
TV
VCR/DVD player
Audio equipement
Small vacuum cleaner

Linens/Laundry Supplies:
Sheets and pillowcases
Towels
Pillows
Headrest pillow
Mattress pad
Blamkets
Comforter and duvet cover
Laundry bag/basket(collapsible)
Laundry detergent
Tide-to-go
Fabric softener
Laundry marking pen
Laundry stain remover
Iron/ironing board
Roll(s) of quarters
Lint brush
Sewing kit

Health/Beauty:
Pepto-Bismol
Vitamin C
Neosporin
Aspirin or ibuprofen
Imodium
Cough drops
First aid kit
Shower tote
Shampoo & conditioner
Hair-styling products
Bath and face soap
Traveling-soap container
Toothpaste and toothbrush
Floss
Comb and Brush
Tweezers
Nail Clippers
Hair Dryer and Straightener
Razor
Shaving cream
Lotion
Q-tips
Tissues
Femanine napkins
Tampons
Makeup
Contact lens solution

Desk Supplies:
CD-ROMs
Zip drive
Phone/address book
Agenda
Stapler and staples
Printer paper
Pens and pencils
Pencil sharpener
Notebooks
Folders
Binders/Accordian files
Loose-leaf paper
Labels
Index cards
Sticky notes
Paper clips
Rubber bands
Scissors
Tape
Highlighters
Ruler
Hanging files or folders
Stamps/envelopes
Dictionary and thesaurus
Micro-cassette recorder

Other important stuff:
Trash bags
Lightbulbs
Flashlight
Umbrella
Mirror
All-purpose cleaner
Hand wipes
Tissues
Posters/art
Area rug
Medical Insurance Card
Debit/credit card
Two forms of ID
Immunization records
List of medications you take
List of emergency contacts
Mini reading light
Bulk snacks

Clothing:
21 pairs of underwear
21 pairs of socks (more if you play sports)
10 pairs of pants/jeans
16 shirts/blouses
2 sets of sweats
10 pairs of PJ's
Slippers
Flip-flops
2 sweaters (if appropriate)
Light/heavy jackets
Gloves/scarf/hat
1 pair of boots
2 pairs of sneakers or comfortable/walking shoes
1 pair of dress shoes
1 set of business attire
1 set of semi-formal attire
Bath robe

Feel free to add to it!

10 Replies to The Ultimate What To Pack For College List!

re: The Ultimate What To Pack For College List!
By CrazyDramaGirl88member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 370, member since Wed Jan 03, 2007
On Sat Aug 29, 2009 09:15 PM
Thanks! Sticky!
By novicedancer1991member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1455, member since Fri Aug 28, 2009
On Sun Aug 30, 2009 06:41 PM
Oh, wow, you thought of everything. I just moved into college a few days ago, and I forgot several things, I wish I'd seen this thread before that!
By Maggie_May1 Comments: 20, member since Tue Dec 01, 2009
On Tue Dec 01, 2009 01:09 PM
LOL I just moved in with the bare min. and bought everything as I went. I hate packing and I have had to change places more than once... and it was an absolute headache, I say bring as little as possible and rely on the kindness of strangers.
By ScotchGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5324, member since Fri Jan 24, 2003
On Sun Feb 14, 2010 05:18 PM
This is very helpful. I'm going to use it to pack when I go to college this year. Your list had a lot of things that the list from the actual college didn't have. Thanks!
re: The Ultimate What To Pack For College List! (karma: 1)
By CrazyDramaGirl88member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 370, member since Wed Jan 03, 2007
On Thu Feb 18, 2010 03:06 PM
Great list!
Also:
lots of lights/lamps. I hate florescent lighting so I have a couple gooseneck lamps- one attached up by my bed for reading and general room lighting, a lamp at my desk, and one of those five-headed ones by the fouton. I'll probably even bring one or two more next year.
Mugs! You can't put a lot of travel mugs in microwaves so you'll need to heat up the water in a mug in the microwave (or in a coffee-maker, but I don't like coffee, so I don't have one of those). They're also great for pencil/pen holders and decoration :) I have a smiley face one on my desk that I use for hot chocolate and decoration.
Don't bring one of those open plastic laundry baskets. I brought mine from home thinking that I would fold my clothes and then bring them up to my room neat in the basket. I don't. I fold everything in my room. It's bulky and harder to carry up and down to the basement.
Dishwasher wand: purely convenient. Nice to scrub your dishes with.
Tub for dirty dishes. My mom told me I wouldn't need that because I was going to wash my dishes after using them. Not when I have a bowl of cereal in the morning before rushing off to class. And not when, like any typical college student, you procrastinate.
Yummy smelling things: those reed diffusers or like the BBW or glade plug ins (I have limited outlet space however). Also some order neutralizing spray stuff comes in handy when you spill said reed diffuser all over and now your room smells strongly of apple cider.
Flip flops for shower use only. Whether you say you aren't going to need them or not BRING THEM! And wear them. definitely.
If you live somewhere with snow, an old towel is good to have to set on the floor for when you come back from outside so you don't get your carpet/floor all wet.
By Newway Comments: 101, member since Thu Jul 31, 2008
On Sat Apr 17, 2010 09:20 PM
things to remind you of home is a good one
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15182, member since Thu Aug 22, 2002
On Sat Apr 17, 2010 09:31 PM
Edited by Brittany (36942) on 2010-04-17 21:33:21
My biggest suggestion? Don't buy all of that stuff until you get to your dorm/where ever. Maybe it's from living in the south and having to move lots of boxes into a third floor dorm in the middle of summer but it's so much easier to move and fit stuff in a car if you just take the stuff you already have and buy the other stuff when you get there. Clothes, books, beauty stuff, bedding/pillows, electronics, and the such that I already owned got packed and came with. Dishes, random school supplies, kitchen stuff, and other random stuff was bought when I moved in.

Also, plastic bins

Image hotlink - 'http://www.fabulousafter40.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/plastic-bin1.jpg'

are great for packing stuff in and then storage.
By Newway Comments: 101, member since Thu Jul 31, 2008
On Tue Jan 11, 2011 08:17 PM
If you have a Roommate that is always warm and keeps the airconditioning up bring extra blankets.
By RibenaRockstar Comments: 426, member since Tue Mar 09, 2010
On Sat Jun 02, 2012 06:43 AM
I like this bit:
21 pairs of underwear
21 pairs of socks (more if you play sports)
10 pairs of pants/jeans
16 shirts/blouses
2 sets of sweats
10 pairs of PJ's

I don't think I have 21 functional (as in they fit and are presentable) pairs of socks xD or underwear.
Nor do I own 20 pairs of trousers :P Though I do have many skirts I suppose.
Also the 10 sets of PJs. I'm planning on taking 5 I think, two shortie ones and three full length trouser ones.

One thing I'm going to do is pack a cold weather box with my snow boots, ski coat, polar fleece PJs, a tub of hot chocolate powder etc and put an address label on it so that if the weather turns my mum can easily send it to me.
By KeepOnSinginPremium member Comments: 12372, member since Sun Dec 19, 2004
On Wed Jun 13, 2012 03:06 PM
Bring a fan!

Most college dorms aren't air conditioned and it gets HOT in them!

I would say a lot of the stuff on this list is unnecessary, and that's after 2 1/2 years of college and living in the dorms/townhouses. I know I didn't bring a lot of that stuff and still had what I think of as too much stuff. Pack the bare minimum, whatever you think that is, and get whatever else you need there, or from home if you live close enough that that's possible.

ReplySendWatch