Forum: General

Page:
Page 4 of 6: 1 2 3 4 5 6
re: The PERFECTLY BAD dance school parent. - this is for parents to read, too (but not reply).
By tappergurl
On Sun Nov 21, 2010 06:48 PM
Also, if the parents wanted what was best for their child they would set a good example by not bullying the dance teacher and by teaching them how to listen to directions and to be responsible.
re: The PERFECTLY BAD dance school parent. - this is for parents to read, too (but not reply).
By Dream_chaserPremium member
On Sun Nov 21, 2010 06:54 PM
tappergurl wrote:

Also, if the parents wanted what was best for their child they would set a good example by not bullying the dance teacher and by teaching them how to listen to directions and to be responsible.


Exactly!
re: The PERFECTLY BAD dance school parent. - this is for parents to read, too (but not reply).
By dancingstar210
On Sun Nov 21, 2010 07:47 PM
dance deb wrote: "If you MUST bring babies and toddlers with you please keep them quiet and under control in the waiting area. And DO NOT leave dirty diapers in our trash cans!"

to add to that response, if you must bring babies, please take the time to breastfeed at home before dance instead of whipping it out in front of other parents/dancers/children and breast feeding in the midst of the studio
re: The PERFECTLY BAD dance school parent. - this is for parents to read, too (but not reply).
By Panda_Bear
On Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:39 AM
Parents that when you say only 2 guests per child for viewing week and they bring 6 or more people. I give a limit due to fire saftey reasons not because I don't want your family to watch your child dance. I'm allowed 35 bodies in the studio at a time I have 12 students and my self that I must have room for that leaves about 24 spaces left in the room and 2 people per child. And don't bring young children to viewing week and allow them to run around the studio, yes they count as a person in my room even if there 6 weeks old!! and Your toddler is annoying and distracting. Also your son's DS ect needs head phones if there going to be in the class room and use it. Don't make me stop class to deal with your other children the dancers are my responsibility not the other 20 children that are watching.

Also I"M NOT A BABYSITTER !!!! Pick up your child on time, if I have to call you about being late one more time to find out where you are after this has happened every class I'm calling child services. I'm allowed to call any time after 30min espically if you dont anwser your phone!!!!! I guess having to get your child from my supervisors office doesnt have enough of an impact. and I doccument every incident like this I have proof.
re: The PERFECTLY BAD dance school parent. - this is for parents to read, too (but not reply).
By CompactDiscomember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Nov 08, 2011 09:35 PM
Ahem.
I sent a newsletter home on Sunday. I sent home a newsletter for a reason. It has all the information about the performance next week in it. It has costumes, hair, shoes, times, dress rehearsal, extra practice, everything.
READ!!! THE!!! NEWSLETTER!!!!
READ IT!
And don't tell me that you don't know about the practice this Wednesday cause I clearly noted that there would be one. In the newsletter. That apparently you didn't read. *facepalm*
re: The PERFECTLY BAD dance school parent. - this is for parents to read, too (but not reply).
By DanceJem
On Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:49 AM
My biggest pet peeves, some which have already been mentioned, is...
1. Trying to get your child into the class ahead of them that is way too hard. We put them in the class that is right for them, TRUST US! We are trained dance instructors, we know what we're doing!
2. Trying to get me to find their dance bill, or asking to buy tights, shoes, etc...I am trying to teach a class. And like it was said before, i am a dance instructor.. not a secretary.
3. Parents TEXTING us all the time. It is my personal phone, I give it to you for emergencies at competition and for booking for choreography for solos, duets, etc. Please don't abuse it! I don't need calls asking what tights to buy on the weekend at 7 AM.... when it is not at all urgent! If it can wait until Monday at dance, please save it until then. If it is urgent, then a call is fine by me!
re: The PERFECTLY BAD dance school parent. - this is for parents to read, too (but not reply).
By EliteDance1
On Tue Nov 29, 2011 08:45 PM
Your child does not have to attend every single school disco or birthday party that happens throughout the year! The amount of kids I have away each week for these silly reasons is unbearable!
re: The PERFECTLY BAD dance school parent. - this is for parents to read, too (but not reply).
By RifleBuddy
On Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:55 AM
You send your child to me because I possess skills, training, etc. Let me do my job and do not stick your nose in where it doesn't belong. This includes choreography, costume choice, recital dates, and venues. I am open to suggestions, but the final authority is mine and the SO's; I will NOT cater to your demands. If you think that you can do my job better than I can, by all means open up your own studio.

One of the best ways you can support your child is by sending them to (and picking up from) class on time, prepared, fed, and teaching them - hopefully by example - that it is unacceptable to be disrespectful of others.
re: The PERFECTLY BAD dance school parent. - this is for parents to read, too (but not reply).
By BCSTXPremium member
On Tue Dec 27, 2011 01:27 PM
We are new to Dance.net. What a wonderful resource and great information on running the school with difficult parents. It is inspirational to read so many ideas.
re: The PERFECTLY BAD dance school parent. - this is for parents to read, too (but not reply).
By GetRhythmmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Dec 27, 2011 01:50 PM
Do not let your child skip dance classes because they need to do homework.

School is important. Arguably, it's more important than dance class. But letting them skip dance in favor of doing homework teaches them a couple of bad habits:

— The child now knows that using homework as an excuse will get them out of dance class when they don't actually have homework and just don't feel like going.
— The child is not learning to manage their time well. I danced 6 days a week and was salutatorian of my graduating class. I didn't manage this by skipping dance to do homework. I learned to manage my time better — little bit of homework in the car on the way to class, little more homework in between classes, little bit of homework when I got home.
— The child falls behind in his/her dance classes. The child feels frustrated when they come back because they've missed important choreography, thus leading us back to my first bullet point.
re: The PERFECTLY BAD dance school parent. - this is for parents to read, too (but not reply).
By Ballerina0306
On Tue Dec 27, 2011 07:42 PM
1. Watching the class and making noise while doing so, especially if they go as far to beg to sit inside the class room.
2. Demand their money back for a costume they didn't receive because they bailed out last minute, causing under study's to pay for it
Well, that's what inDIDNt see
re: The PERFECTLY BAD dance school parent. - this is for parents to read, too (but not reply).
By Love2dance223
On Wed Dec 28, 2011 09:57 AM
lidwina wrote:

Don't use your child for your convenience.
This is wrong: "My child doesn't like you anymore, that's why she quits."
This is right: "I don't think we can work together anymore, that's why I think it's best when my child quits."

When your child tells you a negative story about me, CHECK IT before you start yelling at me.



Oh I love this. Haha this is why I was fired over one student not liking me when I corrected her! I got yelled at by the parent when I tried to talked about it. She made a threat too. Hmm..parents...*rolls eyes* (not towards any of you all!)
re: The PERFECTLY BAD dance school parent. - this is for parents to read, too (but not reply).
By DanceNPsych
On Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:25 AM
Another one is when a few loud parents sit in the waiting room discussing other parents in the studio or other students negatively. And discussing their weekend activities complete with all the partying details and cussing. We currently have this problem at our studio, and the director has approached them several times. It they continue.
re: The PERFECTLY BAD dance school parent. - this is for parents to read, too (but not reply).
By TranscendDance
On Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:09 PM
Edited by TranscendDance (239194) on 2012-02-02 22:14:36
For those that question the monthly payments when there are short or long weeks. You can state that tuition is based on an average of "so many" classes not how many weeks are in the month.
re: The PERFECTLY BAD dance school parent. - this is for parents to read, too (but not reply).
By Dream_chaserPremium member
On Fri Feb 03, 2012 05:22 AM
TranscendDance wrote:

For those that question the monthly payments when there are short or long weeks. You can state that tuition is based on an average of "so many" classes not how many weeks are in the month.


I based mine in 30 classes for Sept-June but arranged for 36 classes, because of snow cancellations, etc. If we held all 36, they did not pay more, but if we cancelled for snow, or other emergencies (which was never near 6), they did not pay less.

Then they paid them in ten installments. If they started late, we pro-rated their fee. I still had parents asking why December was the same rate as January. I often wonder if some people are truly that ignorant.
re: The PERFECTLY BAD dance school parent. - this is for parents to read, too (but not reply).
By MissKaty1978
On Thu Feb 23, 2012 08:49 AM
Please do not send me an email wondering why your child cannot do a simple buck time step. My reply will not come quickly. Seeing as how she hasn't been to class in 3 weeks and her attendance was crappy even before that. Maybe if she didn't flake out on her classes every week because she has a pain in her finger, she wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb. She always seems to make it to hip hop though.
re: The PERFECTLY BAD dance school parent. - this is for parents to read, too (but not reply).
By lilpunkinballet
On Fri Jun 22, 2012 02:42 AM
My most uncomfortable moments lately have been when parents talk badly about another teacher at the school to me. Especially when they say that they Are moving their child out of so an so's class because of xy and z and putting them in my class. First of all, the teachers are my colleagues! And secondly, I feel so much pressure all of a sudden to be different than what they have experienced. What if I don't happen to live up to their great expectations?? And I already don't trust them as they have already gossiped to me about another teacher.
re: The PERFECTLY BAD dance school parent. - this is for parents to read, too (but not reply).
By Dream_chaserPremium member
On Fri Jun 22, 2012 02:46 AM
More and more I am hearing complaints from teachers and studio owners about parents who think rules and policies do not apply to them! How are kids supposed to learn how to be good adults when their parents are irresponsible?
re: The PERFECTLY BAD dance school parent. - this is for parents to read, too (but not reply).
By Dances4LifePremium member
On Fri Jun 22, 2012 09:14 AM
Edited by Dances4Life (241709) on 2012-06-22 09:21:45
1) Gossiping is not allowed nor tolerated. i.e. If you come to me and say, "Well all the other parents have an issue with this as well and I think that you should handle it by doing this this and this" my response will be, "Oh? You have already discussed this issue with the rest of the parental community? You do recall reading our motto and the studio rules that state that gossiping is not tolerated. If you had come to me immediately with the issue I would have handled it. However, now that I know that you feel the need to handle any studio issues by spreading it with other I believe that you would be better suited at another studio. Here is a list of studios in the area that promote that type of behavior."

2) If you do not like the way that the teacher corrects your child we can move your child into a different class. If you still do not like it then it is time for you to find a different studio. Teachers give corrections to help your child improve. This is what you pay them for.

3) If you do not like the fact that I drive an old beat up car and wear $20 jeans when the other studio owner drives a fancy car and wears $200 jeans then maybe you should go to her studio. I spend more money on trying to make my studio better for my students and more time teaching than I do keeping up with the latest fashion or car trends. If that does not work for you then it is time for you to find a studio that fits your visual needs and standards.

4) If we accept 2 year olds they must be TWO. Not 12 months (12 months=1 year people! I'm NOT an idiot and I went to school)....but oh, she dances around the house all the time and I think she is super advanced....can I enrolled her in the combo classes that you offer for 6 year olds?? (yes, I seriously have people that ask this)

5) You consistently question my music. It's too clean, it's not clean enough, it's boring, I hate that artist, I don't like classical music....bla bla bla bla bla. Ok, listen up people! I have feelings! I chose that music because I LIKED it and I knew that it would help your dancer progress. STOP QUESTIONING MY EVERY MOVE!!! DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW LONG IT TAKES TO CUT A SONG?@!@#$
re: The PERFECTLY BAD dance school parent. - this is for parents to read, too (but not reply).
By KangarooPawmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jul 24, 2012 01:49 AM
OMG I LOVE THIS THREAD.
Especially since we just came back from nationals. It's great.

1. Parents who make excuses for their kids. i.e., "my child performed her solo poorly because she landed wrong out of a leap, and her knee hurts now. You know she should have placed higher than she did." first of all, we watched your child's dance, she did not land wrong. Secondly, she said it was her hip that hurt, you say it's her knee. She seems to be walking around and bouncing around with her friends just fine. Which is it?

2. Parents who think it's ok to call me before I've even left the end of a competition to yell at me for NOTHING. (this really happened.) You're trying to tell me that the situation isn't as big as it is (clearly your kid doesn't tell you anything because the entire competition team has known about the situation for MONTHS) and that it's none of my business? It certainly IS my business. You have no right to lash out at me without CHECKING YOUR FACTS FIRST. PARENTS: MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR STORY STRAIGHT BEFORE YOU TRY TO COME AT ME. If you do what this particular parent did, you will never hear another word from me, nor will your child get ANYTHING from me- help, hair, makeup, NOTHING. And you can rhinestone all of her costumes yourself. Good luck matching them to the other students' costumes, which I will be stoning. I refuse to waste my spare time doing anything to help you when you have no respect for me.

3. Don't ask anyone but the SO or director about your bill or payment arrangements. The rest of us don't know anything, we don't have access to those records, and they're not part of our job. Either email or call the director, or make an appointment to meet with them. And no, we cannot and will not interrupt the director's current class to answer your question. You would complain if it was your child's lesson being interrupted, so don't expect us to do it to anyone else's child for you.

4. It's fine to ask my opinion of who your child would look good doing a duet/trio with, but don't use it against me. If you request a duet, the director will choose their partner unless the requested partner is someone he thinks would work well with your child. Don't say "Well Miss so-and-so said these two would be good together, so why can't they do a duet?" Just because I think that, doesn't mean the director agrees, or that I'm right. It's just that-an opinion.

5. STOP GOSSIPING ABOUT MY PERSONAL LIFE!!! My personal life, as well as that of the other teachers', and that of the director, are NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. It's called PERSONAL for a reason! Stop asking other people who I'm dating. Ask me yourself, because instead of an "I don't know, I think she's dating so-and-so" from a parent who probably doesn't know what they're talking about, you'll get a "sorry that's personal, please don't discuss my personal life with other parents or students, but thanks for asking me directly" from me. I guarantee you will shut your mouth after I say that to you once. THANKS.

I could keep going, but I really shouldn't...
re: The PERFECTLY BAD dance school parent. - this is for parents to read, too (but not reply).
By Dream_chaserPremium member
On Tue Jul 24, 2012 02:49 AM
KangarooPaw wrote:




I could keep going, but I really shouldn't...


PLEASE DO!
re: The PERFECTLY BAD dance school parent. - this is for parents to read, too (but not reply).
By KangarooPawmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Sep 12, 2012 01:04 PM
Dream_chaser wrote:

TranscendDance wrote:

For those that question the monthly payments when there are short or long weeks. You can state that tuition is based on an average of "so many" classes not how many weeks are in the month.


I based mine in 30 classes for Sept-June but arranged for 36 classes, because of snow cancellations, etc. If we held all 36, they did not pay more, but if we cancelled for snow, or other emergencies (which was never near 6), they did not pay less.

Then they paid them in ten installments. If they started late, we pro-rated their fee. I still had parents asking why December was the same rate as January. I often wonder if some people are truly that ignorant.




They are that ignorant in many cases. I can't even count how many times people have approached ME (and I don't even deal with the money at all) asking why they pay the same rate for every month when we take off for Christmas, spring break, etc. And this comes from people who have been with us for YEARS, in addition to some newbies. You'd think once you explain it (or they actually take time to READ the policies they're presented with at registration) they'd understand....but nope.


Another thing completely separate, parents....DO NOT talk smack about a teacher. It's very immature, particularly when you're saying it to a student who a)isn't even your kid and b) is taught by and has a good relationship with the teacher you're speaking ill about. do you really think that student isn't going to run to the teacher and repeat everything? They do. In my particular case, this parent also spoke ill of my 12 year old sister because she is progressing faster than this parent's own child. Jealousy is an ugly trait, parents. It would do you well to teach that lesson to your children, too.

Comment #10007920 deleted
Removed by hummingbird (128773) on 2012-09-12 17:34:08 Oops, double post.

re: The PERFECTLY BAD dance school parent. - this is for parents to read, too (but not reply).
By juneballerina
On Wed Dec 05, 2012 01:08 AM
So sad that sometimes the Bad Behaviour Parents have a (more) mature n serious child who doesn't agree with their (mostly) mom's behaviour.

For example, I have had a student that almost everytime being dropped late for class. I scolded her because I didn't know the situation, but I got her eyes blinking with tears and upset face when she answered me that it was her mom that always late even she always told her to hurry. It made me feel bad to scold her because she was also a victim in this situation.

More example, one of my teaching friend at one time having a conversation about the coming performance with her student's mom. She (the mom) asked her how many times her child would appear on stage and how long exactly she would dance. It ended up she didn't submit for her child to join the performance because the child (age about 7/8) would (only) did 1 dance. How I was pity her child! She looked sad especially when they practiced for performance, she ended up sat down to watch her friends
re: The PERFECTLY BAD dance school parent. - this is for parents to read, too (but not reply).
By Dream_chaserPremium member
On Wed Dec 05, 2012 03:31 AM
Parents who took dance and think that they can tell me what their child needs, especially ones who studied at a bad dance school. That's like reading medical books and telling the doctor how to operate.
Page:
Page 4 of 6: 1 2 3 4 5 6

ReplySendWatch

Powered by XP Experience Server.
Copyright ©1999-2020 XP.COM, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
XL
LG
MD
SM
XS
XL
LG
MD
SM
XS