Forum: General / Hip Hop / Hip Hop

Beg, Hip Hop 9-11 year olds
By Jazztchr
On Wed Sep 02, 2009 09:29 PM
Bumped by Theresa (28613) on 2009-10-04 10:36:33

I am teaching a beg hip hop class this year for 9-11 year olds. I have never taught this age before. I need any suggestions for what to teach them throughout the year as well as any songs that could be used for recital, I don't want the song to be a kids song, but I need something and is appropriate also, thanks

2 Replies to Beg, Hip Hop 9-11 year olds

re: Beg, Hip Hop 9-11 year olds
By Charley_HR
On Tue Sep 08, 2009 08:32 AM
Don't worry, you're not alone! This is a very tough age to teach hip hop. When I first began teaching beginner hip hop, the mistake I made was to just give them different combinations hoping they would catch on after getting some experience. You have to remember that hip hop rhythm and movement is going to come naturally to some students but not others. Therefore, I think the best way to start a hip hop class like this is to start working on isolations, flowing, hitting certain beats, etc. Take a combination you've done with more advanced students and break it down at home. Think about the specific movements involved, then try to teach your students how to move like that. They're going to feel awkward at first, but everyone does the first time they use their body in a new way. If you just start throwing combinations at them they are going to feel overwhelmed! Teach them HOW to move, then let them use that.
Songs I like for this age:
Clumsy - Fergie
1, 2, Step - Ciara
Here I Come - Fergie
1 Step at a Time - Jordin Sparks
Hope - Twista featuring Faith Evans
Hope this was helpful!
re: Beg, Hip Hop 9-11 year olds
By Dancebear8504
On Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:12 AM
I agree that this can definitely be a tougher age to teach.. especially girls. I try to emphasize not trying to be pretty and cute (that's for ballet and jazz class) but to be ugly and weird and funky. That helps get them out of that mold they've had in other classes of not moving certain ways. Then, we start at the basics like the other poster said. Isolations, rolls, waves, glides and LOTS of conditioning and stretching. If they are true beginning DANCERS and have never DANCED in their life, let alone HH, (which I have a class of) I do across the floor exercises like step, step, step together step (yes, step step chasse) but I explain to them it can look 3 different ways: ballet, jazzy, and hip hop - and we talk about lowering our centers and getting down into the floor instead of really light and airy. As far as songs....
This year, this age group of mine is dancing to Will Smith's 'Black Suits Comin' (from MIB II) but that's because our recital theme is colors. Last year they did 'Parents just don't understand' (will smith is always dependable on cleanliness) :)
On my playlist for this class:
Get it Poppin' by JoJo
Bridging the Gap by Boxie
Shawty Get Loose by Lil Mama
Aunt Jackie Remix by Jason Foxx -- the clean version
Party Starter by Will Smith ft. Ludacris
ETC.

Do you have a theme to stick to for recital? If so, I can try to help more specifically...

ReplySendWatch