Forum: Arts / Books

Page:
Page 1 of 5: 1 2 3 4 5
Reasons I Hate Twilight... (karma: 2)
By pokomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Sep 06, 2009 04:57 PM

This is because all Twilight Threads seem to get turned into a "Hatred" thread.

So go for it here.

I hate it mostly because I think stories that involve werewolves and vampires are just ridiculous. I hate love stories, and the fact that Bella just gives up her life for a guy, is so...old school. Its just ridiculous.

114 Replies to Reasons I Hate Twilight...

re: Reasons I Hate Twilight...
By DancinDiva2005member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Sep 06, 2009 05:17 PM
You also forgot to include that the books themselves are poorly written. It seems like one giant fanfiction where nothing is completely thought out and there's poor character development.

But I also agree with most of what you listed too.
I like some vampire novels (ie: Anne Rice's novels), and I tend to like the fantasy/fictional novels..I think I just finished the Twilight series just to see if it got better..or I dunno what I was thinking.
By staygold123
On Sun Sep 06, 2009 08:37 PM
There is nothing I hate more than when I say that they were poorly written and everyone just replies, "Well, she wasn't a professional writer! She's just a mom!" Um. Hello, S.E. Hinton was like 15 or 16 in HIGH SCHOOL when she started writing The Outsiders! I just started high school and I've barely had enough time to change my facebook status, let alone write an entire novel. And her book is known for the fact that it was published when she was 19, but its written very professionally. (Sorry, but I HATE Stephenie Meyers but I ADORE S.E. Hinton...and I'm kinda obsessed with her books...Ok. Very Obsessed. :) )
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Sep 06, 2009 08:40 PM
DancinDiva2005 wrote:

I think I just finished the Twilight series just to see if it got better..or I dunno what I was thinking.

I did this. Horrible decision.
By Angelinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:42 AM
The thing I HATED the most about Twilight was that I read [rpbably 3000 pages and she didn't even have the balls to kill someone off at the end... like seriously, what was that ending about?

I also hate that the characters are SO ridiculous, especailly Bella. All this weird crazy stuff happens all the time and she's just like "yeah... ok, that's cool". I'm sorry, but you have to be a little bit like "ok, that was really weird".

I've been trying to think why I hate Twilight but love Harry Potter and I think the difference is that the characters in Twilight are vampires/werewolves before normal people, but in HP, they're normal humans with the twist that they're magic. Twilight characters are completely un-relateable-to. Did that make sense?
By x_Nic_xmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Sep 07, 2009 04:18 AM
Ha, I was debating starting a thread like this once, kind of like an anti-version of the Twilight fan club, but I thought I'd get slaughtered ;)

Twilight is just so terrible. I've read 3 of the books and one of the things that bugs me the most is that, you know when you finish a good book, you get this satisfied feeling at the end, like you know that was really worth your time? Twilight has never given me that. Not even when I read the first book and thought it was OK (before I grew aware of how HUGE the books apparently are).

It is literally like a giant fan fiction. The first book drove me mad because Bella NEVER SHUT UP ABOUT HIS BLOODY EYES. Or any other aspect of his perfect appearance. Omg, WE GET IT. He's hot. LEAVE IT AT THAT.

The characters are just plain boring. Nothing about them is even slightly interesting enough to care about. Not even Alice, who everyone seems to fawn over.

The FILM. So, so uncomfortable.

The fans. I'd say about 75% of them are barking mad. They just seem like the kind of creepy, psycho girls you'd rather avoid throughout your lifetime. I feel so much for Robert Pattinson. From what I've heard, he's quite quiet and shy, which isn't the sort of personality you'd like considering how many women are completely obsessed with him. I also hate the fact that they are completely convinced he IS Edward Cullen. If he hadn't got the role, would anyone care about Cedric Diggory from Harry Potter a few years ago? Would he be rated number 1 on most "Top 100 hot men" lists? I highly doubt it. Also, no-one would be desperate for him to end up with Kristen Stewart, and there wouldn't be stupid rumours about her being pregnant with his baby. These fans WANT their love story to come true in real life, they want it to be real. It creeps me out.

The fans also just seem so... try-hardy. Like, you ask them who their favourite characters are, and they'll say some flash appearance character who only had 1 line, like some odd member of the werewolf pack or a random vampire no-one cares about. I don't buy that these randomers are their favourite characters, more that the fans are just saying that to appear quirky and different. Odd opinion of mine, you don't have to take it seriously.

Also, google "100 reasons why Twilight is better than Harry Potter" and see some of the reasons Twilight lovers have put... LOL.
By DeStijlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Sep 07, 2009 06:35 AM
Vampires that live in seedy ancient abandoned torture chambers wear leather and fight hardcore dirty, I like.

Teenage vegetarian vampires? Give me a break.

I read an excerpt from the book and it made me wonder how many monkeys on how many typewriters it took to write a whole series of that trollop, and didn't bother with the movie.
By JosieJoymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Sep 08, 2009 03:51 AM
In just couldn't get into it, I didn't find it exciting at all and I was like 'this is a bit predictable'. I gave up after about 6 chapters. I think it's just a bit dark and serious for me, I prefer something that makes me have a bi of a giggle! :)
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Sep 08, 2009 07:15 AM
DeStijl wrote:

Vampires that live in seedy ancient abandoned torture chambers wear leather and fight hardcore dirty, I like.

this
By Danamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:30 AM
See, I totally enjoyed the books and the movie. But they're still incredibly poorly written and projecting a really horrifyingly antiquated antifeminist ideal that kind of makes me want to vomit. Young women of the world, go out, have sex or don't have sex but NOT because boys are "dangerous." Also, if you feel like you can't function because your so-called other half isn't there, GO TO THERAPY. IT IS NOT HEALTHY. Oh my God.
By Ampersandmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:45 AM
I am currently jokingly (sorta...) not speaking to my mom because she is reading the series. She got them from my aunt who borrowed them from another friend who I think borrowed them from her daughter? On the bright side, none of them paid for the books, so they didn't pay to subject themselves to that awfulness. The author is still laughing all the way to the bank though, but whatever, I can at least let them slide on not personally investing in those books.

I think the worst part is that my mom openly admits that they are bad books and that the kids she teaches (who are all kindergardeners mind you...) tell more riveting and creative tales than that one. When my dad saw the books he was shocked at how long they are. He figured they were all just short typical teen books. Nope, they are all hardback so some are as big as his books that are all about shakespearean criticism.

My aunt swears that I will one day pass by the books and flip through them and before I know it I will be hooked. I refuse to acknowledge that they are even in the house. I saw the movie, I think that's all the twilight my mind can handle.

My favourite story about people hating twilight is from my brother. He went to an all boy's high school. One of the guys in his homeroom was "famous" for a week because he broke up with his girlfriend. The reason? She read all the twilight books and loved them so much she started saying things like "well Edward would do this, this and that, so why don't you do those things?" He dropped her like a lead balloon and became a hero at the school for it. I totally laughed that someone would break off a relationship because of a stupid book (although I wouldn't put it past me...). But it is still kinda sad that girls seem to be getting sucked into it that much. I did have to hand it to the guy though for not letting the girl keep comparing him to a fictional character and putting down their relationship because of a book. That's too much drama for a high school romance.
By Live_on_Broadway
On Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:51 AM
My friend lent me the books over the summer, after completely devouring them. After politely putting off reading them for the past three months, I'm finally doing it. And my GOD, it's painful.

Also, if you feel like you can't function because your so-called other half isn't there, GO TO THERAPY. IT IS NOT HEALTHY. Oh my God.

Yes. This. What year are we in?! My inner feminist is crying.

*Gina*
By Angelinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:04 PM
She read all the twilight books and loved them so much she started saying things like "well Edward would do this, this and that, so why don't you do those things?"

Think that's good? My friend at work thinks she is Bella. Her name is Isobel (and therefore, makes everyone call her Bella), her boyfriend's name is Ed (and she has started calling him Edward) and her birthday is the same date as Bella's. I'm a bit sad that this girl is my boss. Nearly 26 years old. Sad.

Gina, I really wouldn't bother. Now I know how it all ends, it was a waste of several hours of my life.
By Live_on_Broadway
On Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:17 PM
Edited by Live_on_Broadway (42627) on 2009-09-08 12:18:17
^I'm really only doing it out of politeness to my friend. She honestly liked the books and I don't have the heart to tell her that they frighten me. So the sooner I read them, the sooner I can give them back. :)

*Gina*
re: Reasons I Hate Twilight... (karma: 2)
By Damhnaitmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Sep 08, 2009 03:27 PM
Angelina wrote:

She read all the twilight books and loved them so much she started saying things like "well Edward would do this, this and that, so why don't you do those things?"

Think that's good? My friend at work thinks she is Bella. Her name is Isobel (and therefore, makes everyone call her Bella), her boyfriend's name is Ed (and she has started calling him Edward) and her birthday is the same date as Bella's. I'm a bit sad that this girl is my boss. Nearly 26 years old. Sad.

Gina, I really wouldn't bother. Now I know how it all ends, it was a waste of several hours of my life.

Okay, one word reply: Ew.

Seriously! I think the reason I hate Twilight the most is because people are SO obsessed with it! I mean, people get obsessed with a lot of things, but those things all have something in common: Cool characters, cool costumes, thrilling plot. What does Twilight have? "Yeah, okay, that's cool" and awkward silences. Can you go to a convention dressed up as someone as Twilight? Only if you've mastered having no emotion show on your face for hours on end, because everyone dresses like a normal person (except for that one evil vampire lady...the one with the white fur in the movie.)

Think about it, Trekkies have their clay molds for their faces, Harry Potter fans have their robes and wands, Lord of the Rings fans have their elf ears/swords/whatever they need. Twits (my new term for Twilight fans) have....... to tell people they're dressed up as someone from Twilight. They have to tell someone why they're dressed as a vampire and don't have a streak of fake blood running down their face. And then they have to tell people why they give the impression like their souls were sucked right out of their bodies.

Really, I think the only reason why people (mostly girls) are obsessed with Twilight is because it's a socially appropriate method for girls to feel like they're having a romance with a hawt vampire (and, to me, vampires are ment to be of the Bela Lugosi/ Nosferatu variety). They can place themselves so easily into the characters places and get that satisfaction of having a "real" boyfriend, whether they have one or not.

/end rant.
By novicedancer1991member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Sep 08, 2009 03:31 PM
I actually kind of like Twilight. (Kind of. I'm not a crazy twilight fan) But I do feel like the romance parts go too far. The books would be so much better if they didn't waste so much time with the kissing and stuff.
By Ampersandmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Sep 08, 2009 06:42 PM
I just thought of a new reason to hate it. Talking about it, even in the SLIGHTEST BIT like this thread here, makes my internet do it's weird internet stalking thing and put up twilight ads like this one (so super creepy) on sites I am poking around. How would you like to see that greeting you while you check your email? It's not pleasant!!!
By VelvetRagamuffinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Sep 08, 2009 08:30 PM
I've posted this before, but here it is again. I wrote a blog awhile ago that basically gives a complete rundown of everything I hated about the Twilight series.

velvetragamuffin.blogspot.com . . .
By x_Nic_xmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Sep 09, 2009 02:54 AM
Edited by x_Nic_x (180714) on 2009-09-09 02:55:49
POINTLESS POST ALERT

Had a question, but it was answered :)
By BlackTights
On Wed Sep 09, 2009 09:49 AM
I can't resist re-posting this hilarious link--

"I want to beat Edward Cullen with a stick..."

otahyoni.livejournal.com . . .
By shmcdona
On Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:36 AM
I once saw a picture of Kiefer Sutherland from Lost Boys, looking all vampire, bad-boy, dangerous and hot. Underneath the photo it said (paraphrased as I can't find it)
"Vampires. Don't go to high school. Aren't sissy boys. And don't SPARKLE."

I want this as a t-shirt.
By Damhnaitmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Sep 09, 2009 01:59 PM
BlackTights wrote:

I can't resist re-posting this hilarious link--

"I want to beat Edward Cullen with a stick..."

otahyoni.livejournal.com . . .

"I fear for my gender's future, for what they're learning about love and relationships through this series." "Approximate Amount of Time Bella and Edward are Romantically Involved Before Bella Is Begging Edward to Turn Her into a Vampire so They Can Be Together Forever: Like, two weeks. Maybe three. The timeline's a bit fuzzy."

You know, I have a friend that, before reading Twilight, has never had a boyfriend. Since she read Twilight, she's had two. One she met on Myspace literally two days prior to becoming his girlfriend (this guy also turned out to be 20 years old, just claiming he was 17), and the other she met (on myspace) and became his girlfriend in two weeks. This one just turned 18 (she turns 18 in December, so it's not that bad). When I saw the "timeline" for before Edward and Bella were all "forever", my friend immediately sprang to mind. Could this be Twilight inspired? Could Twilight cause more horrible relationships amongst teen girls? Probably. I think girls who are grabbing boyfriends right and left because they want a wonderful relationship like Edward and Bella NEED to go get some help! Meeting someone a week prior to dating them is not how things work!
By shmcdona
On Wed Sep 09, 2009 02:16 PM
Edited by shmcdona (92187) on 2009-09-09 14:24:31
roflrazzi.files.wordpress.com . . .

I found the picture.

Vampires are suppose to be bad and dangerous, not emotional and soft. Drives me crazy.
re: Reasons I Hate Twilight... (karma: 1)
By staygold123
On Thu Sep 10, 2009 04:46 PM
And so the reader wanted to punch both the lion and the lamb in the face...
By Snuffymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:55 PM
^LOL!

I'm indifferent to Twilight. Hate is a strong word, and I'm glad I don't feel that strongly about a movie that was just a bit "meh". :) I saw the movie, I coped with it, and I'm glad that I didn't waste my time reading the books.
Page:
Page 1 of 5: 1 2 3 4 5

ReplySendWatch