Forum: General / Hip Hop / Hip Hop

need suggestions for a hip hop class!
By ddhiphop
On Fri Sep 11, 2009 01:03 PM
Bumped by Theresa (28613) on 2009-10-04 10:37:14

I teach hip hop to a class of 6 10-12 year olds. I have been teaching them short hip hop dances since the year has started but they are starting to get bored with it (I'm starting to too). I've searched online for games to play at dancing but the games are either too childish or are not applicable to hip hop. The class is one hour long. Does anyone PLEASE have any suggestions with activities that I could do with this age group? Thanks.

3 Replies to need suggestions for a hip hop class!

re: need suggestions for a hip hop class!
By BgirlDoesBallet
On Fri Sep 11, 2009 01:19 PM
Do you know any bboying (break dancing)? If you do, you could teach them some basic moves. It serves as a break from the regular hip hop choreography that they're used to and it allows them to get creative since bboying really emphasizes personal style. Then at the end of class, you can have them do a freestyle circle where they can show off what they've learned. Stuff like this is really popular in both the class I'm in now (ages 11+) and in the class I used to help teach (ages 10 and under).

The only problem with the freestyle part is that sometimes kids get shy dancing by themselves in front of the whole class. If you keep having them do it (they can even do just one move if they want as long at they go in), they'll overcome it eventually. That's what my teacher did with us. At first, we were all really shy but after awhile, we became more comfortable with it.

You could also let them choreograph their own routines in groups of two or three and then have them put on a mini performance for the other group(s) at the end of class. You could even work small parts of their routines into their recital dance to make it a little more special for them, assuming they take the activity seriously and are advanced enough to come up with decent choreography.
By ddhiphop
On Fri Sep 11, 2009 04:05 PM
Thanks for the advice!
I've let them make up their own dances and it worked well. I just still need more variety. I've tried the freestyle circle and 3 of the 6 are TERRIFIED to do anything thats not choreographed. I'm still trying to get them out of their shells. i'll try some bboying stuff and see how they react. thanks!
By Dancebear8504
On Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:03 AM
For my TERRIFIED students (mostly now it's the students that have never had me, because my old students know it's coming) sometimes instead of a freestyle circle I do a soul train line -- so they can have one other person with them. If it truly is half and half I do sneakily put a shy kid with one that's not so shy and try to help them out that way. Then you could do a circle with partners and then finally all alone. I also encourage the kids that are not in the center to keep moving and dancing and it makes the kids in the center feel like not ALL eyes are on them.
As far as activities - I have days when I think they're getting bored of just learning new choreo where we take a day and work on only conditioning (first half) and technique - brushing up for my adv. kids and working hard on it for my beginners. Stuff like isolations, glides, rolls, waves, maybe some 'breaking' (i'm not a huge breaker).
I've also done all the things the other poster suggested which is fun. After I teach them their short combos every few weeks, they battle each other, which is always fun to them.

ReplySendWatch