Priority Teaching Jobs

Forum: Ask a Studio Owner

Ask a Studio Owner
How do you help a booster club become a 501c3 en>fr fr>en
By annaliseblue Comments: 31, member since Fri Sep 19, 2003
On Sat Sep 12, 2009 09:16 AM

I'm looking for advice on helping my comp teams parent group become a 501c3. Any advice from past experiences would be very helpful.

Also, is there a non-profit group for the arts that dance booster clubs can become a part of in order to achieve 501c3 status? This would be similiar to a state soccer team accociationin which the states leauges and teams belong to. Any information would be greatly apprieciated!

8 Replies to How do you help a booster club become a 501c3

re: How do you help a booster club become a 501c3 en>fr fr>en
By CoachT Comments: 2567, member since Mon Apr 19, 2004
On Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:47 AM
Can you talk to your CPA?
Also heres a link to some info...

www.irs.gov . . .

We used to have a boosters club - I got rid of it for many reasons, but one piece of advice that I have is talk to a CPA to make sure its set up right - our wasn't.....and it could of been a big mess - luckily we didn't have it for that long and no one involved was horrible....but I've had bad experiences with this and parents....just becareful.
By Dream_chaserPremium member Comments: 25538, member since Thu Jul 26, 2001
On Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:43 AM
We did it through my studio lawyer. It only cost a few hundred, which they raised in one event. We did it when we needed to raise more than a regular booster club should have when we were going to Disney/Florida.

I still have our by-laws, too, if you want a copy. There are certain things that you MUST do in order to keep your status, so please make sure that you can meet all of the requirements.

Honestly, do it through a lawyer, rather than a CPA.
By tumblebugPremium member Comments: 10099, member since Fri Mar 29, 2002
On Sat Sep 12, 2009 09:49 PM
We didn't use a CPA or a lawyer. The president of the club simply called the IRS and they walked her through the entire process. They have also assisted with any questions, requirements, etc. that the booster club has had over the course of the year. Our booster club is 501c3 non profit. Last year was the first year and the officers didn't have much motivation to get anything done. This year, however, there are new officers and they have the drive to get things accomplished.
By CherryBeePremium member Comments: 4702, member since Thu Jul 26, 2007
On Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:50 AM
tumblebug wrote:

We didn't use a CPA or a lawyer. The president of the club simply called the IRS and they walked her through the entire process. They have also assisted with any questions, requirements, etc. that the booster club has had over the course of the year. Our booster club is 501c3 non profit. Last year was the first year and the officers didn't have much motivation to get anything done. This year, however, there are new officers and they have the drive to get things accomplished.

It helps, too, to have board members who have relationships with corporations who can donate to you. Or have influence in the community. They don't have to always be parents of your students (unless your by-laws require it). People who are active in community arts are good choices too. Any respected personality is your area too.
By annaliseblue Comments: 31, member since Fri Sep 19, 2003
On Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:58 AM
JJ L,

I would love a copy of your bylaws. Thank you so much!
By QueenBee06Premium member Comments: 122, member since Tue Oct 19, 2004
On Mon Sep 14, 2009 01:37 PM
If you don't mind I would love a copy as well. Our small dance team is hoping to do this as well. You can send it via PM if thats ok.

Thanks!
By Dream_chaserPremium member Comments: 25538, member since Thu Jul 26, 2001
On Mon Sep 14, 2009 05:31 PM
Just PM me your email addy and I will mail them to you.
By PSdancemom Comments: 3, member since Thu Feb 08, 2007
On Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:35 AM
I am a brand new member to dancenet.com so I can't PM yet apparantly. However, I would love to receive a sample copy of the bylaws!! I have 2 daughters 13 and 10 who are passionate dancers (lyrical, ballet) and also part of the local studio's dance team. My friend (another dance mom)and I would like to start up a non profit to 1) help with workshop fees, scholarships, etc. and 2) provide a consolidated and tax exempt way to collect donations. To date, we just got our State filings done with a EIN, but now faced with the scary task of putting together form 1023. We are small, limited funds -- any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Currently, I am listed as prsident and my friend is treasurer/secretary. Would ike to keep that as the board without members -- thinking that would make it easier. Appreciate all thoughts and insights!

ReplySendWatch