Forum: Folk / Polynesian Dance

Need Some Costume Suggestions, Please Help!
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Sep 15, 2009 03:13 PM

I have to perform in 3 weeks. They want me to dance about ten minutes for this charity function. I wanted to do a 3 min. hula auana, then a 2 min. Kahiko, then a four min. Tahitian Otea. Thing is, I'd be doing it all back to back to back. I need a versatile costume that I can wear for all three with just minor switches in between that can be done in front of the audience or just off to the side of them. Ideas, suggestions? I want to buy all my stuff by this weekend so I can get used to doing the switches.

My auana is basically done and I'm working on the other two dances. I figure if I practice hard and intense I can get it all done and looking good by then, I don't know, I've never done anything like this. My kumus given me a lot of guidance and it's up to me to just get the steps down and execute them correctly for the kahiko. I'm nervous about the otea. I think if I practice my butt off, HARD, it'll come out good. I have no idea.

Why did I jump into this? The charity is near and dear to my heart. Its to help families with children with autism and my son has autism so when they came and asked I couldn't say 'no'.

HELP!!!

4 Replies to Need Some Costume Suggestions, Please Help!

re: Need Some Costume Suggestions, Please Help!
By Tahiti_E_Imua
On Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:17 AM
Good on you for dancing - I know you're nervous but I'm sure you'll surprise even yourself with how well it goes, given that you're practicing so hard.

As for costumes... my suggestion would be to get a long boddess-type dress. Solid color, form-fitting, about ankle-length, with slits on either side going up to your knee. That will be your "base" - then for each dance number, you will just have to replace accessories, keeping the same dress, just adjusting it slightly for each item.

For Hula Auana: place flowers in your hair and several long dovetail or pikake leis. For Hula Kahiko: using saftey pins, fold up the front flap and the back flap of the boddess, making it now knee-length. Throw on a pahu skirt and kupe'e. For Tahitian, leave the boddess full-length, throw on a hip hei, a short shell lei and a headpiece - you can even use the haku lei and the flowers from the hula to create one on the spot.

I'm a useless artist, but I'll send you a drawing that kind of illustrates better what I'm talking about. I don't know if it's what you're looking for, but when I was dancing professionally, doing multiple sections and shows back to back, this is what we used, and it worked fairly well....

Good luck.
re: Need Some Costume Suggestions, Please Help! (karma: 1)
By Tahiti_E_Imua
On Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:32 AM
Sorry - here are those illustrations....

Hope this helps....
On Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:03 PM
Thank you so much for the help, lol! What great drawings and illustrations!

Come to find out, I don't have to dance so long, so I'm cutting it down to two dances. One auana and one otea, which makes me waaay less nervous.

I'll be using your idea of the dress, Tahiti_E. I was thinking of a dress but I had no idea what type of dress, so your mentioning the kind that's close-fit like that is an excellent idea! And I was thinking of doing flowers for the auana, but not what type or how. I have shell leis and will use them for the auana and get some big flowers and pin them on the side of my head. For the Tahitian I will have to find hip hei and haku Tahiti, but at least I know from what you mentioned this fast switch-up has been done often enough, lol! I don't feel so strange now.

The auana is not a big deal to me, I've done hula lots in public, it's the otea that's making me crack up mentally. I've only ever performed Tahitian once in public and that was with a group earlier this year. But I'm doing this one, ALONE, and it's a straight up drum otea. Ah well, it had to be done at some point, right? And it's for a good cause close to my heart, so I'll throw my whole self into it.

My problem with Tahitian is when I push too hard because of nerves my gracefulness goes out the window. I think I'm going to get my otea solo down as much as I can within a week and force my husband's relatives watch me perform it on the regular so I can get over my nerves, lol! I'm going to also (cringe) video tape myself doing it so I can see where I need to make things better.

Thanks so much for the help, I'll be looking at dresses all week now!
On Fri Sep 18, 2009 07:25 AM
I've finally settled on my song for the otea. It is only a minute, it is slow in the beginning and steadily gets faster. I found it just this morning and I was so at ease with it I came up with choreo for it right on the spot. I just have to spend the weekend refining my arms for it and fixing the mid part but then I'll have it down and can spend all next week practicing it to death.

I've decided to go to a flower shop and order two flowers for my head, in advance, for my auana. But my hip hei and haku, I'm going to see if I can make that out of feathers and/or ferns. I guess after I find my dress it'll be easier to figure out what I'm going to make the hei and haku out of. I want something that catches the eye that's simple at the same time.

ReplySendWatch