Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Beginners

just a Beginner
By Krist
On Tue Sep 15, 2009 07:40 PM

I just made drill team this yr & Im wanting to brush up on some moves so I did waschecked with a ballet school that teaches jazz & hip hop classes so Im thinking about going ahead & signing up for jazz class Ive never took any jazz before Im woundering what to expect for the first time also Im not sure as to what I will need for jazz class so if anyone has any advice its welcome thank you Kristina

1 Replies to just a Beginner

re: just a Beginner
By Music_is_love13
On Sun Nov 08, 2009 06:55 PM
Let's start with clothing, shall we? First off, you'll want a pair of jazz shoes. You can buy these online for cheap; mine were only $18. If you can't get shoes between now and then it's okay to wear some ballet slippers or even go barefoot. For attire, people in my class wear anything from leos and tights (the more ballet-ish dancers) to tank tops under cut up t-shirts and sweat/work out pants (me) to cut off sweat pants with destroyed t-shirts (out teacher). Whatever you do, make sure your pants are not too long. I twisted my ankle badly last class by wearing too-long track pants. You'll also need a nice big water bottle (this is intended to be filled with water, not taken to class because it's pretty).

Now, what to expect: We start out our class with warm-ups and stretches, then move to going across the floor. In case you don't know, going across the floor is just as it sounds, everyone in class lines up on one side of the floor, and our teacher gives us a move that we do across the floor, like a sashay across the floor which can later turn into a sashay-step-leap across the floor. After that we learn a combination -- this is basically a short dance, then we cool down, maybe stretch a bit more, and go home. We usually dance to modern, up beat stuff. Jazz is probably my favorite class, so good luck, and I hope you love it as much as I do.

ReplySendWatch