Forum: Highland / Highland - Achievements

finished novice!!
By bek24
On Tue Sep 15, 2009 09:40 PM

I had a comp on the weekend and I finally got my last novice stamp :D I got 3 1sts, 3 2nds and a 3rd and the overall trophy so it was a good way to end novice. I took a photo to celebrate with all my winnings from novice and my 2 beginners comps. now on to intermediate!! :D first intermediate comp is in a month

21 Replies to finished novice!!

re: finished novice!!
By Dancer24601member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:19 PM
Congratulation! That's very exciting! I'm very excited now! This made my day better for some reason. Great pictures, thanks for sharing!
By ScottishMamimember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Sep 16, 2009 02:28 AM
congratulations! you do 7 dances as a novice? what dances? your trophies and medals and a sash(!) looked awesome, where are you from?
By dancer_LAF
On Wed Sep 16, 2009 03:01 AM
Congratulations! What a way to end novice well done. Good luck in intermediate.
By Dancing_Pigletmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Sep 16, 2009 05:15 AM
ScottishMami wrote:

congratulations! you do 7 dances as a novice? what dances? your trophies and medals and a sash(!) looked awesome, where are you from?

Novice dancers in Scotland quite often do 7 dances.
Fling, Sword, Triubhas, Reel, Special Fling, Flora & Lilt.

Congratulations on finishing Novice by the way :)
By audge7
On Wed Sep 16, 2009 08:24 AM
Congratulations on your achievements! Your trophies and medals look great! Where are you from? How many levels are there in Highland Dance?
By bek24
On Wed Sep 16, 2009 09:14 AM
I am from western australia. We do 7 dances on average at comps (fling, swords, sean, strasphey and reel, lilt and flora and trophy fling) ive travelled interstate twice now and they seem to do something different, they seem have 6 dances (all except trophy fling) and have one of those as a trophy dance. Ive had a trophy sword before. Im really excited for intermediate as I get to do 4 more dances (plus a tulloch if its done) and I love all of them.

my tophies include 4 trophy dance awards and 4 overall. I only got the sash for my beginners overall, the other 3 for novice I didnt get a sash :( oh well.

Ive never been good at anything before and to have got so much in a year and a half is really self esteem boosting. I am planning on travelling to a page full of comps over the next year so hopefully I do well there too. Thanks for all the comments. ive seen how excited people get about intermediate so thought id share :)
By booverly
On Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:21 AM
Good for you Bek!

See? I gave up on my local highland dance association. I pushed for more dances, special dances, and reels for Beginners and Novices only to be shot down every time. 'That's far too much to expect Beginners to learn the Reel', 'Oh my, my daughter only knew the four dances when she got to Intermediate, you can't think to add more to her learning?' 'My daughter was in Premier by the time she was 9, that's way too much for her to have learned for Beginners and Novice'.

Ya, right. Your little Precious's head might explode if you expected her to do as much as dancers in Scotland.

Am I bitter? Yep.
By DanceMum10
On Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:59 PM
Love the photo of you in your garden. Well done and good luck at your comp next month :)
By Katy_Liz
On Wed Sep 16, 2009 02:01 PM
Congrats Bek on your achievements so far!

Our beginners and novices in BC do all those dances, but never more than 4 or 5 per competition. Beginners here all do the strathspey and highland reel. They don't usually compete in the 1/2 tulloch or strathspey and 1/2 tulloch until intermediate.

I am AMAZED and wish SOBHD would take a page from the SOHDA book. Look at all the dances they do from babies on!!! There's no reason our SOBHD pre-premiers can't do the same....and have done in the past (not to mention all the dances that premiers or open dancers could add). I don't understand the SOBHD rationale to have so few dances for competition.
By bek24
On Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:25 PM
I completely agree about more dances. I think barracks and laddie should be at novice and the aboynes for intermediate and jig and hornpipe for premier. I totally think we should do dances like J.L mckensie as I love that dance. It would make comps a hell of a lot more interesting for those who'v been in premier for years and years. And I have the mind for dances so id love to learn them all :)

We are the same, if we have a reel at all, its strasphey and reel in novice and beginners and in intermediate they do the championship reel (or in the case of this yr, half of it). By now I am so bored with strasphey its not funny, I was dying to do a tulloch and as it happens I got to fill in for the intermediate half tulloch at the comp on the weekend :)
By redhendo
On Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:31 PM
Congrats Bec on your achievements :)

Booverly - here in Western Australia we always have the 7 competition dances for pre-levels as Bec has mentioned above. Many of our pre-levels are young children (beginners from age 6; novice from age 7/8). They seem to be fine with it although it can be a long day for them; however it is a very rare occurrence for comps to go beyond 3/4pm due to number of competitors. I have always encouraged my kids to bring things to do in between sections as a just in case.

From Intermediate & above it can be the maximum 10 dances at comps. Not every comp has the 10. But is does happen. Comps usually start from 9am and the dances are spread out. Can be long days but there are often significant breaks in between.
By bek24
On Thu Sep 17, 2009 06:14 PM
yes, our comps can get very spread out with hours in between. I guess its better then having them all in a row one after the other and getting really tired. Comps in the east seem to pic a half of the day ie champs in morning pre levels in arvo but intermediate seems go go over the whole day. Every comp is different though, it all depends on numbers
By late_starter
On Thu Sep 17, 2009 07:53 PM
Congrats bek, those trophies are a nice collection. I hope mines that big when I get out of novice.

See you again at gosford internationals next year, if your heading to the east
By bek24
On Thu Sep 17, 2009 08:07 PM
I will definately be heading back over many times in the next year. Im coming for Daylseford and Young in december. Hopefully I do better at internationals next year then this year :(
By amyinkal
On Mon Oct 05, 2009 02:44 AM
You have to remember that not all novice dancers are the same age as you in respect to novice doing more dances in competitions. Also the more dances you put into the competition the harder it is to timetable the day, and it also makes it very hard on the dancers. The days are often very long as it is.
By LilDancer17
On Mon Oct 05, 2009 07:31 AM
Well...I Live in Saskatchewan Canada and the most they do for Novice here is 5, sword, fling, ST, lilt and flora...I have seen the reel only once in the last year and a half. My DD just got into novice and the idea of more Dances would be wonderful as it keeps the kids busy at competitions. So I really like the idea of more dances!
By Kirst_h_x
On Sat Oct 17, 2009 08:47 AM
Congratulations on finishing novice! :)
What an achievement - Keep going!

Enjoy dancing!
By flora_girl
On Thu Nov 12, 2009 06:52 AM
You all do things very different from us here in Scotland!

We dance

Primary - Pas De Basques, Pas De Basques and high cuts, Fling,
Swords.

Beginners/Novice - Fling, Swords, Seann Truibhas, Half tulloch, special/trophy fling, Flora, Lilt.

Intermediate - Fling, Swords, Seann Truibhas, Half tulloch, special/trophy fling, Flora, Lilt, Barracks Johnnie, Highland Laddie, Jig, Hornpipe.

Premier - Premier do all the dances exept the pas be basques and the pas de basques and highcuts.

We don't usually do all the dances I have mentioned. Sometimes the grades only do highland or they don't do the special/trophy fling.

I would love it if they let Novice do the Strathspey here as an added extra!!
By chrispbinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Nov 12, 2009 05:32 PM
Well done, Bek, on an impressive move to Intermediate!

Will we see you at Caloundra? Should be a good comp and it's always nice to watch the C of Cs dance on Sunday morning.
By Highlanddancer13
On Thu Nov 12, 2009 07:23 PM
Congrads! I love it when people post pictures!
By bek24
On Thu Nov 12, 2009 09:21 PM
Thanks everyone, so far intermediate has been great, iv done one comp and i won overall for the day and got 2 trophies :)

Tassiemom, I sure will be at caloundra, Il be in the eldest intermediate category. I will also be at daylesford in dec if anyones going. Iv just got my new jig outfit so im really excited to wear it next weekend :) Other comps im planning on attending next year are SA champs, garrick stewart champs, internationals, australasian, daylesford, tassie champs (i missed out this yr) and whatever else pops up once the full champ list is released :) Il most definately be at all 2 day comps as they are my fav :D

Highland dancer13- I love pics too thats why I post them :)

ReplySendWatch