Forum: Advice / Pilates/Yoga

Is it possible to teach yourself pilates or yoga from a book?
By novicedancer1991member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Sep 19, 2009 06:01 PM

Is it possible to teach yourself pilates or yoga from a book? And are they worth it, do they really help with dance?

7 Replies to Is it possible to teach yourself pilates or yoga from a book?

re: Is it possible to teach yourself pilates or yoga from a book?
By MJeanette
On Sat Sep 19, 2009 06:11 PM
It's more possible to learn Pilates or Yoga from a book (Or better, a DVD) than to learn dance from a book. It's much better to take an actual class, of course, but I'm sure you'd get some benefit from learning from a book.
By dancin_til_death
On Sat Sep 19, 2009 06:38 PM
You can learn from a dvd/book, I recommend pilates workout for dummies dvd with Michelle Duzois.

However as a beginner you'd get an enormous benefit out of going to a class. Its all about getting the proper technique so you can get the most out of it, and an instructor can give make sure that you're using proper technique. Once you have a general idea of the main type of pilates like movements its pretty easy to go off on your own and you'll know by the "feel" whether you're doing it right.

Plus chances are going to a class will work you harder. I know that's what usually happens to me.
By glitterfairyPremium member
On Sat Sep 19, 2009 06:53 PM
Edited by glitterfairy (42646) on 2009-09-19 18:53:37
Edited by glitterfairy (42646) on 2009-09-19 18:53:46
I'm a much bigger fan of trying at least 6-12 month's worth of pilates classes before trying to go from the book.

The biggest and most common muscle imbalance in humans (inc dancers) seems to be unconscious a) overuse of lats and b) overuse of lateral quads. If you do pilates without being aware of these imbalances or exactly how to fix them, you run the risk of bringing the 'due date' for slipped disks or patellofemoral syndrome closer.

Not to mention the whole reformer thing is 10x more awesome than just mat work ;) (and yes, pilates is AMAZING for dance - when done correctly)
By Triskitmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:58 PM
It's possible. Now, the likely hood of you doing the moves correctly without an instructor who can give you corrections and ensure you have proper alignment etc....very slim.

Once you understand the basics and know how things should feel, proper alignment, muscle firing etc. Then I'd say practicing at home is fine. You really should try to take a couple classes though, so that you are getting the best results.
By BlackTights
On Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:44 PM
I agree with everyone here who suggested going to classes for awhile before attempting to do yoga or pilates at home on your own. You want to learn the correct alignment and breathing techniques, and all the different postures so that you're working effectively, but more than that, you want to make sure you're working safely. You can wind up being hurt from doing something like yoga or pilates incorrectly, just as you can with dance.

Yoga and/or pilates are helpful to dancers, yes.
By shanreicks
On Wed Sep 23, 2009 06:32 AM
You can learn from a book or DVD however, it is better to learn from a class or teacher because they will tell you in class how your body should be aligned in each pose. A book/DVD may tell you this too but the fact is will you be able to follow it without falling out of sync. when your in a class a teacher-well a good teacher-walks around and talks about alignment in each pose and corrects when you fall out of alignment and knows how to spot your strong points and you weak ones.
By novicedancer1991member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:59 PM
I just found out that I can be in a real pilates class at my college recreation center! Unfortunatley I can't go this week because it is starting in 10 minutes and I'm not ready because I only found out about it 5 minutes ago. But I'm going to go next week!

ReplySendWatch