Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Beginners

What's happening at a Jazz Class?
By WoodPigeon
On Tue Sep 22, 2009 09:05 AM

I'm quite sure that this is sort of a stupid question. But I'm gonne take my first jazz class tomorrow after taking 3 to 4 classes Ballet during the last 7 years (no other dance style).
So I asked myself how jazz classes are build. I'm used to the typical Ballet classes (45 min Barre and 45 min Center). Is there a typical way how a jazz class ist structured?
I already searched for answers, but didn't find anything.
I'm a little nervous, because the class is called "Beginners/Intermediate". I hope my last seven years of Ballet Training are going to be helpful and I won't feel like an complete idiot between the experienced people. ;)
Another Question: Is it okay for the first class to wear socks or flats?

3 Replies to What's happening at a Jazz Class?

re: What's happening at a Jazz Class?
By Music_is_love13
On Wed Sep 23, 2009 02:29 PM
Here's how our jazz class goes: stretch and warm up, go across the floor, learn a combination, cool down a stretch some more. I wouldn't wear socks (you'll slip and fall) and I don't know what flats are, unless you're talking about flats as in the popular style of regular, non-dance shoe, and you shouldn't wear those! If you don't have any jazz shoes, you might be able to pick some up at your studio. If you're absolutely shoe-less, you can go barefoot.
By WoodPigeon
On Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:04 AM
Thanks, I figured it out myself yesterday and really loved it. Sorry, I ment ballet slippers. This was okay, others wore them, too. There were a few people with several years of ballet training but no jazz experiance, so I wasn't the only one with ballett slippers.
By luvxx2xxdancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Nov 08, 2009 02:36 PM
Trust me, your years of Ballet experience will help you so much. I did Ballet since I was three and didn't take jazz until I was 12. I got pushed up three levels within the first month because as Ballet dancers, we already have our technique down. Jazz it so so so much fun. A great thing to go with Ballet.

ReplySendWatch