Forum: Arts / Philosophy

Philosophy
Figure in the Landscape Project
By Sloley Comments: 6, member since Fri Sep 25, 2009
On Tue Sep 29, 2009 07:10 AM
Edited by Sloley (216647) on 2009-09-29 07:11:31
Edited by Sloley (216647) on 2009-09-29 07:55:49

This is only my second post and I have put it in this section because I am not a dancer but feel that the philosophy behind what I am doing should stem from dance and will I hope be appreciated as an offshoot.

I watched the BBC programme about the Sadler's Wells Company of Elders.
Also I have photographed dancers and models in the past.
Oct 1st is older persons day
There are so many wonderful dance pictures on this site.

As I am 65 and still fairly slim and fairly fit I think that I should do something, for myself? as an inspiration for others? I'm not sure.

I make photographs I walk through the landscape I live in and so I decided to do self portraits, which means I have to pose, which is difficult, doubly difficult for me as a rather shy, introspective and solitary sort of person.

The photographs I have made so far are here:
www.jimdoley.host56.com . . .

I would like to ask anyone who looks at this post to spare the time to look at the images I have made and perhaps make a comment. Anything at all will be appreciated and acknowledged.

Thanks - J D

6 Replies to Figure in the Landscape Project

re: Figure in the Landscape Project
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Wed Oct 14, 2009 01:59 PM
You certainly take terrific photos.

Why not celebrate your age by kicking up your heels. I'm older than you and I still dance. It doesn't have to be ballet.

These photos show performance at the German embassy; audience participation at the Austrian embassy; performance at Lovettsville Oktoberfest; and one of our oldest couples at the Village Shirlington Oktoberfest.

And yes, some of us have attended the big one in Munchen.
On Fri Oct 16, 2009 06:07 AM
Dear Milt,

Thanks for your nice comment about my pics I'm really grateful to you.

And fair play to you for continuing to dance in your older age, you are a an inspiration to others.

J D
By its_ashee_x3 Comments: 184, member since Sat Nov 18, 2006
On Wed Oct 21, 2009 04:52 PM
Wow, these photos are really amazing. For inspiration, I say keep taking pictures. They were so simple yet so intricate the way my mind saw them. Something about them that made me feel a certain way- I can't explain.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do to celebrate and post more pictures if you get the chance!
On Thu Oct 22, 2009 03:16 AM
Edited by Sloley (216647) on 2009-10-22 03:17:27 spelling mistake
Dear Ashee,

Many thanks for your supportive comments I'm really grateful to you.

When I get the required number of posts I will post some single pics as I make and process them, though I will feel a bit apprehensive about doing it :)

J D
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:26 AM
These are really lovely images. They're thoughtfully composed and have a very ethereal look to them. You mentioned that you use a digital camera on your website--could have fooled me, it looks like you used a Holga or similar toy camera and film. What's your setup like?

Dani
On Fri Oct 23, 2009 04:40 AM
Dear TMM,

Many thanks for the nice comments I'm very grateful to you and would like to quote your comments on my site, would that be OK?

I use a Through the Viewfinder (TtV) contraption the top camera is a DSLR and the bottom one a Kodak Duaflex from 1949. I like the out of focus effects, the double imaging, the spots and dust and the 1950's look. There's a pic or two of my contraption here: www.jimdoley.host56.com . . .

Kind regards - J D

ReplySendWatch